UNC 2011 Applicants

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
Moral_Midgetry

Re: UNC 2011 Applicants

Postby Moral_Midgetry » Thu Feb 03, 2011 6:49 pm

Congrats to everyone that was admitted today!

dddhhh

Postby dddhhh » Thu Feb 03, 2011 7:32 pm

Moral_Midgetry wrote:Or maybe even go visit. E-mail Dean States to set up an appointment. He is super nice about it.

Did you do this? Dean States is a super nice guy but I'm almost scared to since they are so "don't contact us" like...and especially since they must be super busy now.

plug1

Postby plug1 » Thu Feb 03, 2011 8:54 pm

Does anybody know the deal wuth scholarships i.e. when the come out and who gets them?

lvsmithmarsh

Postby lvsmithmarsh » Thu Feb 03, 2011 9:59 pm

plug1 wrote:Does anybody know the deal wuth scholarships i.e. when the come out and who gets them?

Some of the December admits received emails this week saying UNC would be releasing scholarship decisions in the next few weeks once they determine their exact levels of funding.

Congrats to everyone admitted today!

jerseygirl24

Postby jerseygirl24 » Thu Feb 03, 2011 10:42 pm

Hey guys I'm a 2L at UNC. I stumbled on this searching for something UNC Law related that I plugged into google and it was one of the first hits. It's super easy to find, so be careful! Attorneys and law school admissions/professors use google, blogs, facebook, and all the social network sites (like this!) to track applicants. Current 1Ls included. What you post is public, and if you post your numbers and undergradute institution, they know who you are from your application docs.

Also, it's inappropriate and disrespectful to post emails you get from the admissions office here. The law students really respect the professors and the staff, and we expect incoming students will do the same. This is a Carolina Family (for real, we say that) & if behavior like this is something that would make a student like me not want you in my class, just think what the admissions office is going to say if they see it.

As to what I've seen posted about our admissions department specifically, it's incredibly untrue. They are absolutely dedicated and if you plan a visit you will see that for yourself. You can ask your questions of actual students on a tour and/or go visit a class. Much better way to get your information than trash talking here.

OR, if you have real questions about what it's like to be at UNC, just ask me. One caveat - I have no idea what your chances are, so (again) don't post your numbers.

Emma1

Postby Emma1 » Thu Feb 03, 2011 11:15 pm

jerseygirl24 wrote:Hey guys I'm a 2L at UNC. I stumbled on this searching for something UNC Law related that I plugged into google and it was one of the first hits. It's super easy to find, so be careful! Attorneys and law school admissions/professors use google, blogs, facebook, and all the social network sites (like this!) to track applicants. Current 1Ls included. What you post is public, and if you post your numbers and undergradute institution, they know who you are from your application docs.

Also, it's inappropriate and disrespectful to post emails you get from the admissions office here. The law students really respect the professors and the staff, and we expect incoming students will do the same. This is a Carolina Family (for real, we say that) & if behavior like this is something that would make a student like me not want you in my class, just think what the admissions office is going to say if they see it.

As to what I've seen posted about our admissions department specifically, it's incredibly untrue. They are absolutely dedicated and if you plan a visit you will see that for yourself. You can ask your questions of actual students on a tour and/or go visit a class. Much better way to get your information than trash talking here
OR, if you have real questions about what it's like to be at UNC, just ask me. One caveat - I have no idea what your chances are, so (again) don't post your numbers.

Hi jerseygirl24,
I think everyone knows that this forum is public and many people dont put their exact numbers here (they are fudged a bit to protect privacy) or they only pm them to other people. More importantly I don't think anyone disrespects the admissions office at UNC, quite the contrary! You are just hearing people venting because they are frustrated about waiting so long. I am not sure what specific things you read that were inappropriate. It is common for people to post generic emails that they receive and it is done so for many or most of the schools on this site. What is offensive to you about that? It makes other applicants feel better so what is the harm? With all due respect I think you are overreacting a bit and people are on this particular thread because they applied and want to be accepted at UNC. Go Tarheels! There is a specific forum here where people can and do ask current students questions but this isn't that forum.

SMA22

Postby SMA22 » Thu Feb 03, 2011 11:27 pm

jerseygirl24 wrote:Hey guys I'm a 2L at UNC. I stumbled on this searching for something UNC Law related that I plugged into google and it was one of the first hits. It's super easy to find, so be careful! Attorneys and law school admissions/professors use google, blogs, facebook, and all the social network sites (like this!) to track applicants. Current 1Ls included. What you post is public, and if you post your numbers and undergradute institution, they know who you are from your application docs.

As to what I've seen posted about our admissions department specifically, it's incredibly untrue. They are absolutely dedicated and if you plan a visit you will see that for yourself. You can ask your questions of actual students on a tour and/or go visit a class. Much better way to get your information than trash talking here.

Thank you for posting; I think this goes for every thread regarding a specific school--if you wouldn't attach it to your file for an adcomm to read, think twice before you say it on TLS.
Last edited by SMA22 on Thu Feb 03, 2011 11:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

SupraVln180

Postby SupraVln180 » Thu Feb 03, 2011 11:27 pm

In via e-mail earlier today. Very excited.

DubPoker

Postby DubPoker » Fri Feb 04, 2011 12:34 am

Hmmm There seems to be genuine concern over exact numbers.

Should I be worried? I posted my numbers EXACTLY on here and LSN. I'm respectful in the forums and don't have anything to hide. The only thing that might be weird is that LSN has where I'm applying, although I state UNC is my goal there.

SupraVln180

Postby SupraVln180 » Fri Feb 04, 2011 12:38 am

DubPoker wrote:Hmmm There seems to be genuine concern over exact numbers.

Should I be worried? I posted my numbers EXACTLY on here and LSN. I'm respectful in the forums and don't have anything to hide. The only thing that might be weird is that LSN has where I'm applying, although I state UNC is my goal there.

There's nothing wrong with posting your exact or near exact numbers. Law schools won't look down upon it, you are just helping out future applicants. I know LSN and TLS has helped me out tremendously through this whole process and we owe it to put our numbers out for next years applicants. Just be respectful or at least civil on these boards and you should be fine. Don't be stupid and schools won't rescind your admission offer.

jdemmitt

Postby jdemmitt » Fri Feb 04, 2011 1:07 pm

Kudos to the accepted. I hope I will finally be under review.

super6

Postby super6 » Fri Feb 04, 2011 6:08 pm

This is why I stole someone else's username.

unc0mm0n1

Postby unc0mm0n1 » Tue Feb 08, 2011 1:34 am

Did anybody else get the chancellor's scholarship invite? Whose going to Chapel hill to interview for it.

ko2689

Postby ko2689 » Tue Feb 08, 2011 9:24 am

unc0mm0n1 wrote:Did anybody else get the chancellor's scholarship invite? Whose going to Chapel hill to interview for it.

I'm looking into it, but I'm all the way in CT and I'm not sure I can get a flight down there for a reasonable price in time!

Moral_Midgetry

Postby Moral_Midgetry » Tue Feb 08, 2011 10:47 am

unc0mm0n1 wrote:Did anybody else get the chancellor's scholarship invite? Whose going to Chapel hill to interview for it.

Did you get it via e-mail or snail mail?

borntorun86

Postby borntorun86 » Tue Feb 08, 2011 11:43 am

This has nothing to do with the application process, but FWIW, one of the best reasons to go to UNC outside of academics happens tomorrow night at 9 PM. My pick: UNC 75, Duke 72.

dddhhh

Postby dddhhh » Tue Feb 08, 2011 11:49 am

borntorun86 wrote:This has nothing to do with the application process, but FWIW, one of the best reasons to go to UNC outside of academics happens tomorrow night at 9 PM. My pick: UNC 75, Duke 72.

+1

DeeCee

Postby DeeCee » Tue Feb 08, 2011 12:11 pm

Moral_Midgetry wrote:

please tell how you got notification of it.

CloseToGood

Postby CloseToGood » Tue Feb 08, 2011 1:54 pm

DeeCee wrote:
Moral_Midgetry wrote:

+1

?

unc0mm0n1

Postby unc0mm0n1 » Tue Feb 08, 2011 2:03 pm

DeeCee wrote:
Moral_Midgetry wrote:

Email although the email said it was only going out to around 30 students. It came yesterday evening.

beccabea

Postby beccabea » Tue Feb 08, 2011 3:09 pm

Last edited by beccabea on Tue Apr 05, 2011 1:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Capitalist

Postby Capitalist » Tue Feb 08, 2011 3:11 pm

borntorun86 wrote:This has nothing to do with the application process, but FWIW, one of the best reasons to go to UNC outside of academics happens tomorrow night at 9 PM. My pick: UNC 75, Duke 72.

Ditto. I've been to three UNC-Duke games in Chapel Hill, and the atmosphere is one-of-a-kind. Best. Rivalry. In. Sports. Period.

GO HEELS! BEAT DOOK!!!!!!!!!!!

jwrash

Postby jwrash » Tue Feb 08, 2011 3:29 pm

Need some advice people. I have been under review since 12/9 with numbers above both 75ths (instate), but was advised against sending a letter of LOCI until they have made a final decision on my app. Anything else I can do or am I resigned to this fate of waiting?

Thanks!

tvt86

Postby tvt86 » Tue Feb 08, 2011 5:11 pm

Did you try calling or did you decide against that?

beccabea

Postby beccabea » Tue Feb 08, 2011 5:56 pm

Last edited by beccabea on Tue Apr 05, 2011 1:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”