UNC 2011 Applicants

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
Jeffro

Re: UNC 2011 Applicants

Postby Jeffro » Wed Apr 27, 2011 12:36 am

hurricane10 wrote:is everyone getting an email with their waitlist status or is it just by status checker? I'm guessing they aren't giving out any more acceptances for now and those of us hearing this week will all be waitlist/rejects

My status checker showed "Waitlist offer" Monday night, got the official email Tuesday morning.

beccabea

Postby beccabea » Wed Apr 27, 2011 1:52 am

hurricane10 wrote:is everyone getting an email with their waitlist status or is it just by status checker? I'm guessing they aren't giving out any more acceptances for now and those of us hearing this week will all be waitlist/rejects

Not necessarily! I'm pretty sure the people who were accepted in late March have their seat deposits on May too, so it could be that they're putting aside files that they're strongly considering accepting to see how many more people matriculate/withdraw as the week goes on.

EDIT: May 1st
Last edited by beccabea on Wed Apr 27, 2011 12:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mach 26

Postby Mach 26 » Wed Apr 27, 2011 11:17 am

Not necessarily! I'm pretty sure the people who were accepted in late March have their seat deposits on May too, so it could be that they're putting aside files that they're strongly considering accepting to see how many more people matriculate/withdraw as the week goes on.

Sounds plausible. UNC seems to work hard to build a diverse class, so they might be waiting to evaluate the profile of their seat deposits and use whatever spots they have remaining to “fill in the gaps.” Regardless, good luck to everyone waitlisted and waiting.

Capitalist

Postby Capitalist » Wed Apr 27, 2011 11:22 am

Mach 26 wrote:

Sounds plausible. UNC seems to work hard to build a diverse class, so they might be waiting to evaluate the profile of their seat deposits and use whatever spots they have remaining to “fill in the gaps.” Regardless, good luck to everyone waitlisted and waiting.

I thought the first seat deposit was due April 15th? If that date was delayed, could those of us still waiting on a decision not hear anything until after May 1?

DeadLaw

Postby DeadLaw » Wed Apr 27, 2011 11:30 am

Capitalist wrote:
Mach 26 wrote:

I thought the first seat deposit was due April 15th? If that date was delayed, could those of us still waiting on a decision not hear anything until after May 1?

The first deposit was not due until May 1st for those admitted after March 23rd, so there very well could be some movement sometime next week. Good luck to those still waiting!

skw

Postby skw » Wed Apr 27, 2011 11:33 am

Capitalist wrote:
Mach 26 wrote:

I was accepted in late March and my first deposit wasn't due until after the April 15 deadline. I can't remember what the extended dates were exactly though bc I paid both deposits early shortly after I received the offer. I want to say it was something like mid-May for the first and mid-June for the second.

Good luck to those waitlisted and still waiting.

Capitalist

Postby Capitalist » Wed Apr 27, 2011 11:36 am

Well, I guess those of us still waiting may not hear anything until mid-May.

Patience is a virtue (allegedly), and I've definitely developed some while waiting to hear back from schools.

pokerlaw

Postby pokerlaw » Wed Apr 27, 2011 11:40 am

They said all complete files will have a decision by May 1, 2011. I think everybody gets some decision by Saturday.

Capitalist

Postby Capitalist » Wed Apr 27, 2011 11:47 am

Pokerlaw, do you think those of us still stuck at complete can best hope for a WL at this point?

pokerlaw

Postby pokerlaw » Wed Apr 27, 2011 11:51 am

Capitalist wrote:Pokerlaw, do you think those of us still stuck at complete can best hope for a WL at this point?

I called like two weeks ago and they said they were still sending out acceptances, but I feel like a waitlist is the best case scenario.

beccabea

Postby beccabea » Wed Apr 27, 2011 12:08 pm

pokerlaw wrote:They said all complete files will have a decision by May 1, 2011. I think everybody gets some decision by Saturday.

Since the decision-by date and the first deposit date (for some people) coincide, I think it's likely that they'll send out a bunch of WLs just to meet their decision-by date and then make acceptance offers to some of those people not too long after May 1. It's a possibility.

Capitalist

Postby Capitalist » Wed Apr 27, 2011 12:11 pm

beccabea wrote:
pokerlaw wrote:They said all complete files will have a decision by May 1, 2011. I think everybody gets some decision by Saturday.

Since the decision-by date and the first deposit date (for some people) coincide, I think it's likely that they'll send out a bunch of WLs just to meet their decision-by date and then make acceptance offers to some of those people not too long after May 1. It's a possibility.

I could see that happening.

2things2

Postby 2things2 » Wed Apr 27, 2011 1:43 pm

When I called 3 weeks ago, they said they had rejected exactly zero people. LSN shows only one rejection, and that person had a 151 LSAT. I have a feeling they're putting a whole shitload of people on the waitlist.

oopspowsurprise

Postby oopspowsurprise » Wed Apr 27, 2011 2:25 pm

2things2 wrote:When I called 3 weeks ago, they said they had rejected exactly zero people. LSN shows only one rejection, and that person had a 151 LSAT. I have a feeling they're putting a whole shitload of people on the waitlist.

yeah i got WL'd too, I bet they threw a lot of people onto the waitlist. It seems like a lot of schools did that this year, I got waitlisted more than I got rejected

hurricane10

Postby hurricane10 » Wed Apr 27, 2011 3:40 pm

anddd just now waitlisted. great.

Bobo355

Postby Bobo355 » Wed Apr 27, 2011 3:42 pm

hurricane10 wrote:anddd just now waitlisted. great.

Same just got the email... :-( Guess the waiting game continues.

Capitalist

Postby Capitalist » Wed Apr 27, 2011 4:11 pm

Waitlist email. Staying On. Let's do this.

hurricane10

Postby hurricane10 » Wed Apr 27, 2011 4:12 pm

I'm sure this has been covered at some point in this thread but is it even possible to gain residency after your first year?? I'm trying to figure out out how hard I want to try to get off the wait list and paying out of state tuition all three years isn't an attractive option.

aknecht

Postby aknecht » Wed Apr 27, 2011 4:14 pm

2things2 wrote:When I called 3 weeks ago, they said they had rejected exactly zero people. LSN shows only one rejection, and that person had a 151 LSAT. I have a feeling they're putting a whole shitload of people on the waitlist.

anyone else hear this? I got WLed today. doesn't seem like my chances are very good.

DeeCee

Postby DeeCee » Wed Apr 27, 2011 4:17 pm

aknecht wrote:

anyone else hear this? I got WLed today. doesn't seem like my chances are very good.

I'm accepted, but hopefully this is not true. I'm sure they have rejected people, we just don't see it because we're on Top Law Schools and presumably people would be more qualified here (presumably :wink: ). Anyway, jokes aside, I always thought UNC was good about the WL. Hopefully they don't get like UVA and WL everybody, meaning essentially no one would come off the list.

boom_cs

Postby boom_cs » Wed Apr 27, 2011 4:17 pm

aknecht wrote:

Wow it really does seem like everyone has gotten waitlisted. I really think this must be a stall tactic to give them more time to decide on who to let in.

Mach 26

Postby Mach 26 » Wed Apr 27, 2011 4:24 pm

I'm sure this has been covered at some point in this thread but is it even possible to gain residency after your first year?? I'm trying to figure out out how hard I want to try to get off the wait list and paying out of state tuition all three years isn't an attractive option.

If I remember correctly, you have to “demonstrate your commitment” to practice or work in-state after you have completed school to be considered for residency. Sorry, I know that is an ambiguous answer but I’m not sure exactly what it entails..

Also joining the waitlist club with everyone else today...

Capitalist

Postby Capitalist » Wed Apr 27, 2011 4:32 pm

boom_cs wrote:Wow it really does seem like everyone has gotten waitlisted. I really think this must be a stall tactic to give them more time to decide on who to let in.

Agreed.

DeeCee

Postby DeeCee » Wed Apr 27, 2011 4:54 pm

Maybe there is a rhyme or reason to this-- I noticed earlier in the month they were WL those with low GPA/ 50-75th LSATs.

Do recently WLed people have these numbers?

Capitalist

Postby Capitalist » Wed Apr 27, 2011 5:06 pm

DeeCee wrote:Maybe there is a rhyme or reason to this-- I noticed earlier in the month they were WL those with low GPA/ 50-75th LSATs.

Do recently WLed people have these numbers?

Affirmative.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”