UNC 2011 Applicants

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
protein

Re: UNC 2011 Applicants

Postby protein » Wed Apr 20, 2011 5:28 am

DeeCee wrote:
protein wrote:
jackattack17 wrote:same here, interesting. good luck, dwight.

awesome

Protein, saw you were cheating on us over there in the Duke WL thread. :(
Not that I have the LSAT score, or the family support (my family is huge fans of UNC) to attend Duke :D

You caught me :cry:

I made the Duke WL thread a few weeks back when I was strongly considering going to a T14 to improve my shot at biglaw. Still ambivalent on the whole idea, so I've (kind of) decided that UNC's low tuition aka low debt is the way to go

innernetp

Postby innernetp » Wed Apr 20, 2011 11:43 am

fredgoodsell wrote:I didn't realize how hypercompetitive UNC out of state admissions is until I thought about it during the wait for my decision. They have roughly 4,000 applicants, and say that 75% are out of state who are only alloted 25% of the incoming class.

If I'm getting these numbers right, that means 3,000 out of staters are competing for 107 acceptances (assuming 426 admits, as UNC's Top Law profile says). Meanwhile there are only 1,000 in state students applying for 319 admits.

So not taking into account personal stats, out of state applicants have a 3.5% chance of getting in, in staters have a 31.9% chance.

If these numbers are pretty accurate, I think it'd be a lot more helpful to provide separate LSAT/GPA numbers for the two groups. Providing one number doesn't help either group gauge their competition or how likely they are to get in with their numbers.

This is assuming that 75% of applicants are coming out of state, though. I'm pretty sure this isn't the case at all.

Jeffro

Postby Jeffro » Wed Apr 20, 2011 1:53 pm

innernetp wrote:
fredgoodsell wrote:I didn't realize how hypercompetitive UNC out of state admissions is until I thought about it during the wait for my decision. They have roughly 4,000 applicants, and say that 75% are out of state who are only alloted 25% of the incoming class.

If I'm getting these numbers right, that means 3,000 out of staters are competing for 107 acceptances (assuming 426 admits, as UNC's Top Law profile says). Meanwhile there are only 1,000 in state students applying for 319 admits.

So not taking into account personal stats, out of state applicants have a 3.5% chance of getting in, in staters have a 31.9% chance.

If these numbers are pretty accurate, I think it'd be a lot more helpful to provide separate LSAT/GPA numbers for the two groups. Providing one number doesn't help either group gauge their competition or how likely they are to get in with their numbers.

This is assuming that 75% of applicants are coming out of state, though. I'm pretty sure this isn't the case at all.

+1

I also don't think in-staters have anywhere near a one out of three chance of getting in (if 31.9% were accurate). I would, however, say that it is safe to assume that out-of-staters do have a harder time getting in and that those accepted are probably numerically more qualified than many in-staters. It's probably due to UNC's requirement to fill the class with a certain percentage of in-staters that their median GPA/LSAT are not much higher, because they must pass on many numerically superior out-of-staters to the benefit of NC residents.

fredgoodsell

Postby fredgoodsell » Wed Apr 20, 2011 3:18 pm

Law School Numbers and the UNC law wiki page both claim that 75% of the total applicants are out of state. I haven't seen a more official source, but I'm going to believe those until someone has a better source that says otherwise.

http://unc.lawschoolnumbers.com/

Even if it's not as much as 75% out of state applicants, I still think publishing two sets of numbers would be much more helpful for potential applicants.

scammedhard

Postby scammedhard » Wed Apr 20, 2011 5:13 pm

This analysis is flawed because it assumes that the yield rate is exactly the same for in-state and out-state admits. We don't know what those rates are, but I would assume that --considering the in-state tuition incentive-- a lot more of the in-state admits actually decide to attend than the out-state admits, and so, accordingly, the UNC adcomm probably admits far less than 319 in-staters and far more than 107 out-staters.

LSATfromNC

Postby LSATfromNC » Wed Apr 20, 2011 9:16 pm

scammedhard wrote:

This analysis is flawed because it assumes that the yield rate is exactly the same for in-state and out-state admits. We don't know what those rates are, but I would assume that --considering the in-state tuition incentive-- a lot more of the in-state admits actually decide to attend than the out-state admits, and so, accordingly, the UNC adcomm probably admits far less than 319 in-staters and far more than 107 out-staters.

Can't remember where I saw this as I saw it a year ago when I was researching schools. But some dean or asst dean at UNC said in an interview posted online that the LSAT/GPA stats of incoming out of state and incoming instate students were virtually the same, even though competition for the out of state slots was more competitive based off the shear number of applicants.

and nevermind I found
Out-of-state residents account for only 25% of your incoming class. Is admissions more competitive for out-of-state residents? Do you have any advice for out-of-state applicants considering Carolina Law?

We are mandated to have 75% of our entering class as North Carolina residents. Last year of our roughly 4,000 applications, 3,000 were from non residents. Admission is more competitive for them because they are applying for a smaller number of seats. However, in terms of the median GPA and LSAT, the numbers for residents and non residents were virtually the same. The advice for non residents is to apply as early as possible. I highly recommend non residents taking the June or October LSAT.

Source: http://www.law-school.ws/carolina/ MAKE SURE YOU HAVE A SPAM BLOCKER IF YOU OPEN, GOT A FIREFOX WARNING THAT THIS SITE WAS REPORTED DANGEROUS

Jeffro

Postby Jeffro » Thu Apr 21, 2011 12:59 am

In trying to research all of this ^ I found an interesting article comparing all of the NC law schools across several metrics. It's a few years old, but still very relevant I would say.

http://www.popecenter.org/acrobat/Pope_LawSchool.pdf

Capitalist

Postby Capitalist » Thu Apr 21, 2011 9:33 am

Only a few days until May 1, and I'm still complete...#SMH

C'mon, UNC, show a born n' bred Tar Heel some love. :mrgreen:

Bobo355

Postby Bobo355 » Thu Apr 21, 2011 9:39 am

Capitalist wrote:Only a few days until May 1, and I'm still complete...#SMH

C'mon, UNC, show a born n' bred Tar Heel some love. :mrgreen:

It's gonna be an agonizing 9 days until May 1st. I'm just hoping against all odds that there are still acceptences left to send out!

Capitalist

Postby Capitalist » Thu Apr 21, 2011 9:49 am

Bobo355 wrote:I'm just hoping against all odds that there are still acceptences left to send out!

I hope so too. Work is slow, so I'm constantly status checking.

Bobo355

Postby Bobo355 » Thu Apr 21, 2011 9:50 am

Capitalist wrote:[quote="Bobo355"I'm just hoping against all odds that there are still acceptences left to send out!

I hope so too. Work is slow, so I'm constantly status checking.[/quote]

Haha me too... Slow and remedial, which makes me watch these forums like a hawk. It's almost depressng.

DashCubs

Postby DashCubs » Thu Apr 21, 2011 10:03 am

Bobo355 wrote:
Capitalist wrote:[quote="Bobo355"I'm just hoping against all odds that there are still acceptences left to send out!

I hope so too. Work is slow, so I'm constantly status checking.

Right there with you guys.

YouDontKnowMe

Postby YouDontKnowMe » Thu Apr 21, 2011 6:38 pm

I love you and everything UNC, but
http://fozzy42.com/SoundClips/Themes/TV/jeapordy.wav

super6

Postby super6 » Fri Apr 22, 2011 3:16 am

170/3.6/OOS
Checked the status checker which said that 10 days ago I was offered the waitlist. An email or letter would have been nice. I'm withdrawing, though. I was interested in UNC but I'm not going to wait it out to pay sticker when I got to Texas with 75k.

rehtulx

Postby rehtulx » Fri Apr 22, 2011 9:01 am

Is anyone actually getting rejected yet?

Bobo355

Postby Bobo355 » Fri Apr 22, 2011 9:05 am

rehtulx wrote:Is anyone actually getting rejected yet?

Only one person has posted to LSN that they were rejected. Other then that i don't know.

beccabea

Postby beccabea » Fri Apr 22, 2011 9:26 am

super6 wrote:170/3.6/OOS
Checked the status checker which said that 10 days ago I was offered the waitlist. An email or letter would have been nice. I'm withdrawing, though. I was interested in UNC but I'm not going to wait it out to pay sticker when I got to Texas with 75k.

They're definitely going to give out more money, though. They give out every cent the state budgets them for scholarship, because otherwise they'll lose that money and the state will lower the scholarship budget thinking they don't need all the money they were given (Dean States said this at ASD, so I'm just repeating him). I'm certain there have been a lot of people who got scholarships and turned them down, so UNC will have a pretty decent chunk of money to redistribute now. I know this doesn't necessarily apply to you since you're on the WL and it would be crazy to angst around and wait it out when you've got another very good offer on your plate, but this is just kind of a general reminder to people who are still really strongly considering UNC. There will be more money coming.

dddhhh

Postby dddhhh » Fri Apr 22, 2011 12:05 pm

beccabea wrote:
super6 wrote:170/3.6/OOS

They're definitely going to give out more money, though. They give out every cent the state budgets them for scholarship, because otherwise they'll lose that money and the state will lower the scholarship budget thinking they don't need all the money they were given (Dean States said this at ASD, so I'm just repeating him). I'm certain there have been a lot of people who got scholarships and turned them down, so UNC will have a pretty decent chunk of money to redistribute now. I know this doesn't necessarily apply to you since you're on the WL and it would be crazy to angst around and wait it out when you've got another very good offer on your plate, but this is just kind of a general reminder to people who are still really strongly considering UNC. There will be more money coming.

Plus UNC is awesome, exhibit B:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rTcWCS_mj-c

Capitalist

Postby Capitalist » Fri Apr 22, 2011 12:10 pm

rehtulx wrote:Is anyone actually getting rejected yet?

Next week is going to be incredibly brutal in regard to rejections. I'm expecting mine around next Thursday. :(

beccabea

Postby beccabea » Fri Apr 22, 2011 12:26 pm

dddhhh wrote:Plus UNC is awesome, exhibit B:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rTcWCS_mj-c

Hahaha. Nice to know that I'll fit in, at least in terms of dance skillz

borntorun86

Postby borntorun86 » Fri Apr 22, 2011 5:08 pm

I got published in the DTH kvetching board today. Awesome.

Postby 20140606 » Sat Apr 23, 2011 2:33 am

I'm considering submitting a photo of my large commemorative ram tattoo as a "letter of continued interest". I think it would be hilarious but I'm not sure if admissions committees have senses of humor. What do y'all think?

Here's da ink:
http://i.imgur.com/IIBsa.jpg

skw

Postby skw » Sat Apr 23, 2011 9:10 am

lolrskates wrote:I'm considering submitting a photo of my large commemorative ram tattoo as a "letter of continued interest". I think it would be hilarious but I'm not sure if admissions committees have senses of humor. What do y'all think?

Here's da ink:

I find it hilarious, but if you're serious about sending it to admissions I would think twice. Who knows how they think and if they don't appreciate your humor that would be bad.
Last edited by skw on Sat Apr 23, 2011 12:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Moral_Midgetry

Postby Moral_Midgetry » Sat Apr 23, 2011 11:09 am

lolrskates wrote:I'm considering submitting a photo of my large commemorative ram tattoo as a "letter of continued interest". I think it would be hilarious but I'm not sure if admissions committees have senses of humor. What do y'all think?

Here's da ink:

99.99% sure you are joking but if you're for real, do it.

Postby 20140606 » Sat Apr 23, 2011 11:54 am

Moral_Midgetry wrote:

Here's da ink:

99.99% sure you are joking but if you're for real, do it.

I'm serious. It could be like in Legally Blonde where her bikini/pool video got her into Harvard. Only more badass.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”