UNC 2011 Applicants

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
protein
Posts: 228
Joined: Thu Mar 10, 2011 3:44 am

Re: UNC 2011 Applicants

Postby protein » Sun Apr 17, 2011 7:39 pm

dropped my deposit on thursday. see you guys at unc next year :D

SupraVln180
Posts: 883
Joined: Mon Apr 19, 2010 10:50 pm

Re: UNC 2011 Applicants

Postby SupraVln180 » Mon Apr 18, 2011 6:54 am

innernetp wrote:
DeeCee wrote:
innernetp wrote:Well, in a very difficult decision I turned down the Chancellors Scholarship, so that should put some money on the table for them to use. Good luck, future Heels. If you're in the Chapel Hill/Carrboro area and have questions about how to get around feel free to PM me.


really?? I'm very surprised. If you don't mind sharing, where will you be attending instead?


USC, pending a deferral. I have a lot of good feelings for UNC but I wanted job security in LA. When I started this cycle out I thought UT was my dream school. I got in and after touring it was disappointed in the program and the facilities (though the alumni network is fantastic I'm sure). Getting the scholarship at UNC made me think long and hard about exactly where I want to be and do. Going out to LA at this point in my life is what I feel to be a good career move. It's the second largest legal market in the country and USC does extremely well there; I felt like I'd have plenty of mobility from that decision to work in government or otherwise. UNC does very well in its region, but I'm not willing to tie myself down to the SE right now. What's more, though I love that UNC puts such a strong focus on pro bono work and PI, even if that's my ultimate career I know I'd like to work in a mid-large size firm when I start out and then move on.

Still, I will always be a Tar Heel and NC will always be my home.



Surprised you turned it down, you seemed like you were leaning toward UNC. Either way, it's the right move if you want LA. To be honest, I only know one person who got the Chancellor Scholarship that is actually taking it (I kept in touch with a few people who got the scholly via texting, etc.), and Becca is the only one I am aware of that got the 75% who is accepting it. That should free up a lot of $$$ for you guys after the deadline, I'm not sure how much that actually helps you guys though.

User avatar
Capitalist
Posts: 286
Joined: Mon Jul 21, 2008 5:38 pm

Re: UNC 2011 Applicants

Postby Capitalist » Mon Apr 18, 2011 9:47 am

THE FALCON IS BACK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

--LinkRemoved--

User avatar
innernetp
Posts: 202
Joined: Thu Oct 28, 2010 4:32 pm

Re: UNC 2011 Applicants

Postby innernetp » Mon Apr 18, 2011 10:33 am

SupraVln180 wrote:
innernetp wrote:
DeeCee wrote:
innernetp wrote:Well, in a very difficult decision I turned down the Chancellors Scholarship, so that should put some money on the table for them to use. Good luck, future Heels. If you're in the Chapel Hill/Carrboro area and have questions about how to get around feel free to PM me.


really?? I'm very surprised. If you don't mind sharing, where will you be attending instead?


USC, pending a deferral. I have a lot of good feelings for UNC but I wanted job security in LA. When I started this cycle out I thought UT was my dream school. I got in and after touring it was disappointed in the program and the facilities (though the alumni network is fantastic I'm sure). Getting the scholarship at UNC made me think long and hard about exactly where I want to be and do. Going out to LA at this point in my life is what I feel to be a good career move. It's the second largest legal market in the country and USC does extremely well there; I felt like I'd have plenty of mobility from that decision to work in government or otherwise. UNC does very well in its region, but I'm not willing to tie myself down to the SE right now. What's more, though I love that UNC puts such a strong focus on pro bono work and PI, even if that's my ultimate career I know I'd like to work in a mid-large size firm when I start out and then move on.

Still, I will always be a Tar Heel and NC will always be my home.



Surprised you turned it down, you seemed like you were leaning toward UNC. Either way, it's the right move if you want LA. To be honest, I only know one person who got the Chancellor Scholarship that is actually taking it (I kept in touch with a few people who got the scholly via texting, etc.), and Becca is the only one I am aware of that got the 75% who is accepting it. That should free up a lot of $$$ for you guys after the deadline, I'm not sure how much that actually helps you guys though.


I know a couple other 75%ers who are taking it. I definitely put a lot of time into thinking about it and still think that Carolina is incredibly underrated for what it does. I'd go there ten times out of ten were my choices, say, W&M or Fordham, which according rankings are its peer schools. Actually, with the scholarship I had I would pretty much go there over everywhere except maybe four or five schools, and there would be an argument for Carolina against all of them.

User avatar
pokerlaw
Posts: 223
Joined: Tue Nov 02, 2010 11:33 am

Re: UNC 2011 Applicants

Postby pokerlaw » Tue Apr 19, 2011 11:01 am

I guess waitlist is the best case scenario at this point?

Bobo355
Posts: 46
Joined: Fri Apr 01, 2011 8:17 am

Re: UNC 2011 Applicants

Postby Bobo355 » Tue Apr 19, 2011 11:08 am

pokerlaw wrote:I guess waitlist is the best case scenario at this point?


Ugh i really hope not but I can see my dreams slowly withering away at this point.

User avatar
DeeCee
Posts: 1352
Joined: Mon Nov 15, 2010 4:09 am

Re: UNC 2011 Applicants

Postby DeeCee » Tue Apr 19, 2011 11:09 am

pokerlaw wrote:I guess waitlist is the best case scenario at this point?


You still haven't heard? When did you apply? If it was in November I'd call and make sure they didn't lose your app or something, because May 1 is coming up fast.

boom_cs
Posts: 135
Joined: Mon Oct 04, 2010 10:43 am

Re: UNC 2011 Applicants

Postby boom_cs » Tue Apr 19, 2011 11:14 am

Yeah I still have not heard back either. I am little worried because they had my app for like two weeks before they put it in the system so I am a little worried about hearing back before May 1st.

User avatar
pokerlaw
Posts: 223
Joined: Tue Nov 02, 2010 11:33 am

Re: UNC 2011 Applicants

Postby pokerlaw » Tue Apr 19, 2011 11:14 am

DeeCee wrote:
pokerlaw wrote:I guess waitlist is the best case scenario at this point?


You still haven't heard? When did you apply? If it was in November I'd call and make sure they didn't lose your app or something, because May 1 is coming up fast.


Yeah, I submitted around Thanksgiving. Going to give them a call during my lunch break at work.

User avatar
DeeCee
Posts: 1352
Joined: Mon Nov 15, 2010 4:09 am

Re: UNC 2011 Applicants

Postby DeeCee » Tue Apr 19, 2011 11:19 am

pokerlaw wrote:
DeeCee wrote:
pokerlaw wrote:I guess waitlist is the best case scenario at this point?


You still haven't heard? When did you apply? If it was in November I'd call and make sure they didn't lose your app or something, because May 1 is coming up fast.


Yeah, I submitted around Thanksgiving. Going to give them a call during my lunch break at work.


To you and everyone else who has been waiting since Nov: I would definitely call to make sure they didn't lose it.
The reason I say this is I've had experience with my application getting lost before-- the undergrad I attended lost my application when I applied, and I only found out when they didn't notify me of my acceptance/rejection by the date they said (granted I did ED so I found out early enough to resubmit). Things can happen sometimes.

SupraVln180
Posts: 883
Joined: Mon Apr 19, 2010 10:50 pm

Re: UNC 2011 Applicants

Postby SupraVln180 » Tue Apr 19, 2011 11:27 am

innernetp wrote:
SupraVln180 wrote:
innernetp wrote:
DeeCee wrote:
really?? I'm very surprised. If you don't mind sharing, where will you be attending instead?


USC, pending a deferral. I have a lot of good feelings for UNC but I wanted job security in LA. When I started this cycle out I thought UT was my dream school. I got in and after touring it was disappointed in the program and the facilities (though the alumni network is fantastic I'm sure). Getting the scholarship at UNC made me think long and hard about exactly where I want to be and do. Going out to LA at this point in my life is what I feel to be a good career move. It's the second largest legal market in the country and USC does extremely well there; I felt like I'd have plenty of mobility from that decision to work in government or otherwise. UNC does very well in its region, but I'm not willing to tie myself down to the SE right now. What's more, though I love that UNC puts such a strong focus on pro bono work and PI, even if that's my ultimate career I know I'd like to work in a mid-large size firm when I start out and then move on.

Still, I will always be a Tar Heel and NC will always be my home.



Surprised you turned it down, you seemed like you were leaning toward UNC. Either way, it's the right move if you want LA. To be honest, I only know one person who got the Chancellor Scholarship that is actually taking it (I kept in touch with a few people who got the scholly via texting, etc.), and Becca is the only one I am aware of that got the 75% who is accepting it. That should free up a lot of $$$ for you guys after the deadline, I'm not sure how much that actually helps you guys though.


I know a couple other 75%ers who are taking it. I definitely put a lot of time into thinking about it and still think that Carolina is incredibly underrated for what it does. I'd go there ten times out of ten were my choices, say, W&M or Fordham, which according rankings are its peer schools. Actually, with the scholarship I had I would pretty much go there over everywhere except maybe four or five schools, and there would be an argument for Carolina against all of them.


Agreed. Carolina is a great school and there is a relatively low risk involved in comparison to private schools. That's why I would of chose it over Fordham, but when ND came in the picture with money I couldn't turn down its reach compared to Carolina. With that being said, for anyone who wants to work in the South Atlantic, UNC is a no brainer. For people who want LA or NY, like you and me, it makes it a tougher decision.

DashCubs
Posts: 13
Joined: Mon Jan 03, 2011 4:30 pm

Re: UNC 2011 Applicants

Postby DashCubs » Tue Apr 19, 2011 11:38 am

Just spoke with admissions and the guy told me that as long as your status says App complete, ready for review, they have everything. He stated that more than likely, the application had been reviewed (he said nearly all had at this point), but they had not recieved a decision from the committee yet. I didn't press him much beyond that, he stated that as soon as they have a decision it will update on status checker and an email should follow nearly instantaneously. Hope this helps any others who were worried about missing/lost components to apps.

Edited to say that I have also been Complete since November (NC Resident).

avery87
Posts: 19
Joined: Mon Jan 17, 2011 7:31 pm

Re: UNC 2011 Applicants

Postby avery87 » Tue Apr 19, 2011 11:40 am

The status date of my waitlisting updated to yesterday. Think this means anything at all?

tarheel125
Posts: 13
Joined: Thu Nov 11, 2010 4:44 pm

Re: UNC 2011 Applicants

Postby tarheel125 » Tue Apr 19, 2011 11:45 am

Mine did too..hmm..maybe they updated it to show people that accepted the WL offer via the online link? Just a thought.

User avatar
Capitalist
Posts: 286
Joined: Mon Jul 21, 2008 5:38 pm

Re: UNC 2011 Applicants

Postby Capitalist » Tue Apr 19, 2011 12:00 pm

Still stuck at complete...

rehtulx
Posts: 52
Joined: Mon Feb 07, 2011 1:57 pm

Re: UNC 2011 Applicants

Postby rehtulx » Tue Apr 19, 2011 12:35 pm

tarheel125 wrote:Mine did too..hmm..maybe they updated it to show people that accepted the WL offer via the online link? Just a thought.


Bleh, me too.

User avatar
jackattack17
Posts: 164
Joined: Thu Nov 04, 2010 7:38 pm

Re: UNC 2011 Applicants

Postby jackattack17 » Tue Apr 19, 2011 12:45 pm

same here, interesting. good luck, dwight.

User avatar
Capitalist
Posts: 286
Joined: Mon Jul 21, 2008 5:38 pm

Re: UNC 2011 Applicants

Postby Capitalist » Tue Apr 19, 2011 12:50 pm

jackattack17 wrote:same here, interesting. good luck, dwight.


Thanks. Good luck to you too.

protein
Posts: 228
Joined: Thu Mar 10, 2011 3:44 am

Re: UNC 2011 Applicants

Postby protein » Tue Apr 19, 2011 1:41 pm

jackattack17 wrote:same here, interesting. good luck, dwight.


awesome

User avatar
DeeCee
Posts: 1352
Joined: Mon Nov 15, 2010 4:09 am

Re: UNC 2011 Applicants

Postby DeeCee » Tue Apr 19, 2011 1:44 pm

protein wrote:
jackattack17 wrote:same here, interesting. good luck, dwight.


awesome


Protein, saw you were cheating on us over there in the Duke WL thread. :(
Not that I have the LSAT score, or the family support (my family is huge fans of UNC) to attend Duke :D

beccabea
Posts: 224
Joined: Wed Jan 05, 2011 3:08 pm

Re: UNC 2011 Applicants

Postby beccabea » Tue Apr 19, 2011 2:02 pm

DeeCee wrote:Protein, saw you were cheating on us over there in the Duke WL thread. :(
Not that I have the LSAT score, or the family support (my family is huge fans of UNC) to attend Duke :D


Meh? I just looked at his post history, and I don't see it.

Anyway, I quoted it on the Class of 2014 thread and I'll quote it again here, "Don't let anyone tell you differently: The only good thing about Duke is that it's 15 minutes from Chapel Hill." - Tucker Max. Listen to what the man said! :)

User avatar
Moral_Midgetry
Posts: 543
Joined: Tue May 11, 2010 3:29 pm

Re: UNC 2011 Applicants

Postby Moral_Midgetry » Tue Apr 19, 2011 2:04 pm

beccabea wrote:
DeeCee wrote:Protein, saw you were cheating on us over there in the Duke WL thread. :(
Not that I have the LSAT score, or the family support (my family is huge fans of UNC) to attend Duke :D


Meh? I just looked at his post history, and I don't see it.

Anyway, I quoted it on the Class of 2014 thread and I'll quote it again here, "Don't let anyone tell you differently: The only good thing about Duke is that it's 15 minutes from Chapel Hill." - Tucker Max. Listen to what the man said! :)


I don't know whether to be impressed or alarmed that you're quoting Tucker Max.

User avatar
DeeCee
Posts: 1352
Joined: Mon Nov 15, 2010 4:09 am

Re: UNC 2011 Applicants

Postby DeeCee » Tue Apr 19, 2011 2:05 pm

beccabea wrote:
DeeCee wrote:Protein, saw you were cheating on us over there in the Duke WL thread. :(
Not that I have the LSAT score, or the family support (my family is huge fans of UNC) to attend Duke :D


Meh? I just looked at his post history, and I don't see it.

Anyway, I quoted it on the Class of 2014 thread and I'll quote it again here, "Don't let anyone tell you differently: The only good thing about Duke is that it's 15 minutes from Chapel Hill." - Tucker Max. Listen to what the man said! :)


I was looking through the active threads page and Duke WL popped up, so I clicked it. Then I saw a post (though it might have been from a while back) from him.

TRAITOR! lol just kidding. As long as you're at UNC we've got no probs. :)

User avatar
fredgoodsell
Posts: 9
Joined: Thu Mar 24, 2011 10:46 am

Re: UNC 2011 Applicants

Postby fredgoodsell » Tue Apr 19, 2011 8:48 pm

I didn't realize how hypercompetitive UNC out of state admissions is until I thought about it during the wait for my decision. They have roughly 4,000 applicants, and say that 75% are out of state who are only alloted 25% of the incoming class.

If I'm getting these numbers right, that means 3,000 out of staters are competing for 107 acceptances (assuming 426 admits, as UNC's Top Law profile says). Meanwhile there are only 1,000 in state students applying for 319 admits.

So not taking into account personal stats, out of state applicants have a 3.5% chance of getting in, in staters have a 31.9% chance.

If these numbers are pretty accurate, I think it'd be a lot more helpful to provide separate LSAT/GPA numbers for the two groups. Providing one number doesn't help either group gauge their competition or how likely they are to get in with their numbers.

20140606
Posts: 32
Joined: Sun Feb 13, 2011 12:30 pm

Re: UNC 2011 Applicants

Postby 20140606 » Wed Apr 20, 2011 3:02 am

fredgoodsell wrote:I didn't realize how hypercompetitive UNC out of state admissions is until I thought about it during the wait for my decision. They have roughly 4,000 applicants, and say that 75% are out of state who are only alloted 25% of the incoming class.

If I'm getting these numbers right, that means 3,000 out of staters are competing for 107 acceptances (assuming 426 admits, as UNC's Top Law profile says). Meanwhile there are only 1,000 in state students applying for 319 admits.

So not taking into account personal stats, out of state applicants have a 3.5% chance of getting in, in staters have a 31.9% chance.

If these numbers are pretty accurate, I think it'd be a lot more helpful to provide separate LSAT/GPA numbers for the two groups. Providing one number doesn't help either group gauge their competition or how likely they are to get in with their numbers.


Well... what would you surmise a possible range is? Honestly I was surprised about being WL'd, although I did apply sort of late due to my graduating on an off semester.




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: jtg1017, potterotter, premalone, taxman14, whodareswins and 17 guests