UNC 2011 Applicants

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
Jeffro

Re: UNC 2011 Applicants

Postby Jeffro » Wed Jan 19, 2011 1:19 pm

lvsmithmarsh wrote:UNC seems to walk to the beat of their own drum, though, so I don't know that I'd get too worked up about the message on the status checker.
So it seems. Although I'm definitely a splitter for UNC I would just like some sort of answer before I start committing to out of state schools (I'm a NC resident) that I heard back from months ago and have already gotten scholly offers from. UNC leaves much to be desired in their admissions process.

dddhhh

Postby dddhhh » Wed Jan 19, 2011 1:43 pm

Jeffro wrote:
lvsmithmarsh wrote:UNC seems to walk to the beat of their own drum, though, so I don't know that I'd get too worked up about the message on the status checker.
So it seems. Although I'm definitely a splitter for UNC I would just like some sort of answer before I start committing to out of state schools (I'm a NC resident) that I heard back from months ago and have already gotten scholly offers from. UNC leaves much to be desired in their admissions process.

Could not agree with you more...

DeeCee

Postby DeeCee » Wed Jan 19, 2011 1:45 pm

dddhhh wrote:
Jeffro wrote:

When did both of you apply? I heard so many things about their process I figured I'd just get my app in when it would be top notch. So I wasn't able to apply until a day or two after Christmas (I wrote all 4 essays which took FOREVER).

dddhhh

Postby dddhhh » Wed Jan 19, 2011 1:52 pm

DCLaw11 wrote:
dddhhh wrote:
Jeffro wrote:

When did both of you apply? I heard so many things about their process I figured I'd just get my app in when it would be top notch. So I wasn't able to apply until a day or two after Christmas (I wrote all 4 essays which took FOREVER).

I applied 11/1. I got WL last year but applied late january - but I dont have my hopes up...however, a timely decision would be nice :-)

DeeCee

Postby DeeCee » Wed Jan 19, 2011 1:54 pm

dddhhh wrote:
I applied 11/1. I got WL last year but applied late january - but I dont have my hopes up...however, a timely decision would be nice :-)

What were your numbers last year? When did you hear back? Now I'm worried that I applied too late.

dddhhh

Postby dddhhh » Wed Jan 19, 2011 2:00 pm

DCLaw11 wrote:
dddhhh wrote:

What were your numbers last year? When did you hear back? Now I'm worried that I applied too late.

No worries- you're in better shape than me, your numbers are better.
153/3.85/in-state; heard back in march. Good luck!

Jeffro

Postby Jeffro » Wed Jan 19, 2011 2:01 pm

DCLaw11 wrote:When did both of you apply? I heard so many things about their process I figured I'd just get my app in when it would be top notch. So I wasn't able to apply until a day or two after Christmas (I wrote all 4 essays which took FOREVER).
I applied 10/4 and have been "Ready for Review" since 11/12 according to the checker.

DeeCee

Postby DeeCee » Wed Jan 19, 2011 2:03 pm

dddhhh wrote:
DCLaw11 wrote:
dddhhh wrote:

No worries- you're in better shape than me, your numbers are better.
153/3.85/in-state; heard back in march. Good luck!

Are you applying with the same numbers this year? Did you write all the essays? I feel like the UNC process is a black box.

DeeCee

Postby DeeCee » Wed Jan 19, 2011 2:04 pm

Jeffro wrote:
DCLaw11 wrote:When did both of you apply? I heard so many things about their process I figured I'd just get my app in when it would be top notch. So I wasn't able to apply until a day or two after Christmas (I wrote all 4 essays which took FOREVER).
I applied 10/4 and have been "Ready for Review" since 11/12 according to the checker.

Thanks for your reply. Mine has been "ready for review" since 1/7.....guess I've got a long wait.

rubaiyatsongs

Postby rubaiyatsongs » Wed Jan 19, 2011 2:05 pm

DCLaw11 wrote:
dddhhh wrote:

Yea, I don't know that the timing of the application really matters too much for UNC. I turned mine in last week, already got the email and everything. I talked to Jennifer Kott on the phone before I turned it in, and she said that they weren't even actively reviewing applications until this week or later. She called it "Reading Season." She said that, as of last week, they'd only accepted 40 people so far. Get your app in ASAP and I think you'll be fine. Definitely better to be perfected than rushed.

Also, to the people who have had bad luck with visits and the admissions - I totally understand. I went to UNC undergrad and I went kicking and screaming. (I couldn't afford any of the out-of-state or private schools I wanted to go to.) My visits were awful, my orientation was terrible. But, I had a wonderful undergraduate experience. Students and faculty are nice, bright, and helpful. The faculty really do want you to succeed. The campus is beautiful, although, admittedly, the law school building leaves something to be desired. Plenty to do in the area, and plenty of nearby escapes - Raleigh, mountains, Outer Banks, etc. I just love it. Best of luck to everyone!

CloseToGood

Postby CloseToGood » Wed Jan 19, 2011 5:17 pm

Jeffro wrote:

+1

For me, it is down to UNC on one of their chief competitors, rankings wise, from whom I've already received a really nice offer. Given that I have to let them know if I'm attending BY Apr 1, UNC's 'scholarship info by end of March' timeline makes me a bit nervous. :shock:

The Triangle (Chapel Hill/Carrboro, Durham, Raleigh) is a really awesome area. Decent music scene. AWESOME food (especially in Durham), plus lots of community supported agriculture/farmer's markets, if you're into that kind of thing. Ocean and Mountains, each 3 miles away. I hated it here as a teenager, but as an adult it's hard to beat.

DeeCee

Postby DeeCee » Thu Jan 20, 2011 2:36 pm

This is probably going to be a question that most of you can't answer, but if anyone knows, that would be great.

Anyway, I applied 12/26. My residency was determined (in-state, 1/6) and my app has been ready for review since 1/7. Would someone know the typical amount of time for a person applying late December/early January might hear back? TIA.

Moral_Midgetry

Postby Moral_Midgetry » Thu Jan 20, 2011 3:35 pm

DCLaw11 wrote:This is probably going to be a question that most of you can't answer, but if anyone knows, that would be great.

Anyway, I applied 12/26. My residency was determined (in-state, 1/6) and my app has been ready for review since 1/7. Would someone know the typical amount of time for a person applying late December/early January might hear back? TIA.

It really depends. They admit clear admits and deny clear denies and hold the rest of the applications for later review. So it is really hard to say.

rubaiyatsongs

Postby rubaiyatsongs » Thu Jan 20, 2011 4:22 pm

Moral_Midgetry wrote:
DCLaw11 wrote:This is probably going to be a question that most of you can't answer, but if anyone knows, that would be great.

It really depends. They admit clear admits and deny clear denies and hold the rest of the applications for later review. So it is really hard to say.

When I called, they said to expect a bunch of decisions at the beginning of every month - that most people would know by the beginning of April and everyone would know by the beginning of May if they're in, out, or WL'ed.

cay10789

Postby cay10789 » Fri Jan 21, 2011 5:14 am

cz
Last edited by cay10789 on Sat Feb 05, 2011 2:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

ran12

Postby ran12 » Fri Jan 21, 2011 9:33 am

cay10789 wrote:Can someone help assess my chances?

2nd semester senior at Wellesley
GPA 3.24/4.00
LSAT 169
In-state residency

Prob good chance since your a girl, IS, and have a high LSAT for UNC

lvsmithmarsh

Postby lvsmithmarsh » Fri Jan 21, 2011 9:39 am

CloseToGood wrote:
The Triangle (Chapel Hill/Carrboro, Durham, Raleigh) is a really awesome area. Decent music scene. AWESOME food (especially in Durham), plus lots of community supported agriculture/farmer's markets, if you're into that kind of thing. Ocean and Mountains, each 3 miles away. I hated it here as a teenager, but as an adult it's hard to beat.

+1

I loved living in this area. I would love to move back.

jwrash

Postby jwrash » Fri Jan 21, 2011 12:49 pm

cay10789 wrote:Can someone help assess my chances?

2nd semester senior at Wellesley
GPA 3.24/4.00
LSAT 169
In-state residency

in

PDL

Postby PDL » Mon Jan 24, 2011 1:05 pm

Last edited by PDL on Sat Apr 26, 2014 7:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Barbie

Postby Barbie » Tue Jan 25, 2011 6:32 pm

So I'm pretty much waiting on UNC's rejection to solidify my choice.... why is it taking so long :(

fish tacos

Postby fish tacos » Tue Jan 25, 2011 7:56 pm

Yep PDL, I got a call from Richard [deleted] today. He was friendly and it was a nice touch.

lvsmithmarsh

Postby lvsmithmarsh » Tue Jan 25, 2011 11:04 pm

fish tacos wrote:Yep PDL, I got a call from Richard [deleted] today. He was friendly and it was a nice touch.

Me too, though unfortunately I missed the call. It did seem like a nice gesture, though.

On another note, I really want to make an on-campus visit soon, but it doesn't seem like they've set any dates for ASWs. Anyone think it would hurt to do a visit on my own? I am in-state, so it wouldn't be too difficult...

ran12

Postby ran12 » Tue Jan 25, 2011 11:09 pm

They're being nicer now b/c you've been accepted. It's time for them to suck up to you.

JakeDelhomme

Postby JakeDelhomme » Wed Jan 26, 2011 10:56 am

If you are still waiting to hear, what is your status on the status checker?

I am in-state with numbers at each median, and I applied in early November. Status checker reads: "Application Compete, Ready for Review."

jwrash

Postby jwrash » Wed Jan 26, 2011 11:47 am

JakeDelhomme wrote:If you are still waiting to hear, what is your status on the status checker?

I am in-state with numbers at each median, and I applied in early November. Status checker reads: "Application Compete, Ready for Review."

In-state and above both 75ths. Status checker reads the same.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”