UNC 2011 Applicants

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
timduncanformvp

Re: UNC 2011 Applicants

Postby timduncanformvp » Fri Apr 15, 2011 4:50 pm

I had a very mediocre GPA, but my LSAT helped me out (accepted).

protein

Postby protein » Fri Apr 15, 2011 5:47 pm

DeeCee wrote:
Capitalist wrote:
jb11 wrote:yeah.. My guess (which is not especially informed, so don't take my word for it) is that still being at complete probably means either rejection or acceptance, not waitlist. Trying to stay positive though!

If that's the case, then I'm afraid I could receive the later of the two options.

Capitalist, jb11, and DubPoker-- how are your numbers? Did you do all of the essays?

Was accepted in March, my details:

Sub 3.5 GPA, 170+ LSAT, only did the two required essays, virtually nonexistent softs

In after a month with money
Last edited by protein on Fri Apr 15, 2011 5:54 pm, edited 2 times in total.

DeeCee

Postby DeeCee » Fri Apr 15, 2011 5:52 pm

protein wrote:Was accepted in March, my details:

Sub 3.5 GPA, 170+ LSAT, only did the two required essays, virtually nonexistent softs

Not hating on you protein, or any others that got $$, but I'm annoyed that protocol is that money is given to those with high LSATs. I guess because LSAT weighs more in admissions than GPA at many schools, making you more competitive? Also, my opinion probably stems from that I have high GPAs and multiple degrees, but not a high LSAT.

protein

Postby protein » Fri Apr 15, 2011 5:57 pm

DeeCee wrote:

Not hating on you protein, or any others that got $$, but I'm annoyed that protocol is that money is given to those with high LSATs. I guess because LSAT weighs more in admissions than GPA at many schools, making you more competitive? Also, my opinion probably stems from that I have high GPAs and multiple degrees, but not a high LSAT.

I have no idea, I wasn't expecting any money from UNC due to my GPA + applying relatively late

I guess I can divulge that I went to UNC as an undergrad + wrote a pretty good Why UNC essay - maybe those factors helped get me a little bit of money

DeeCee

Postby DeeCee » Fri Apr 15, 2011 6:02 pm

protein wrote:
DeeCee wrote:

I have no idea, I wasn't expecting any money from UNC due to my GPA + applying relatively late

I guess I can divulge that I went to UNC as an undergrad + wrote a pretty good Why UNC essay - maybe those factors helped get me a little bit of money

being an alum probably helps a lot....although some people seem to say otherwise.

The Valkyrie

Postby The Valkyrie » Fri Apr 15, 2011 6:19 pm

i think unc law tries to avoid taking its own undergrads. from the school's perspective it makes sense because they want to educate as many different people as possible to build their national profile.

Capitalist

Postby Capitalist » Fri Apr 15, 2011 6:31 pm

DubPoker wrote:
Capitalist wrote:
jb11 wrote:yeah.. My guess (which is not especially informed, so don't take my word for it) is that still being at complete probably means either rejection or acceptance, not waitlist. Trying to stay positive though!

If that's the case, then I'm afraid I could receive the later of the two options.

You mean former?

Yeah, my bad. #s below both medians, so UNC is definitely a reach for me.

Barbie

Postby Barbie » Sat Apr 16, 2011 11:05 am

I had a dream I went to visit UNC and the admissions staff was really mean to me! :shock: They were also building a cruise ship in the courtyard.. so... dreams are weird haha.

DeeCee

Postby DeeCee » Sat Apr 16, 2011 11:30 am

Barbie wrote:I had a dream I went to visit UNC and the admissions staff was really mean to me! :shock: They were also building a cruise ship in the courtyard.. so... dreams are weird haha.

maybe you're thinking a lot about your UNC decision, and you hope to plan a cruise/buy a boat/go on an adventure soon?
lol

beccabea

Postby beccabea » Sat Apr 16, 2011 12:38 pm

In case anyone's interested, I just spotted the first rejection on LSN from yesterday. It was for somebody with a 3.16/151.

rivkah

Postby rivkah » Sat Apr 16, 2011 8:35 pm

beccabea wrote:In case anyone's interested, I just spotted the first rejection on LSN from yesterday. It was for somebody with a 3.16/151.

Seriously? UNC couldn't have told that individual they weren't going to be accepted before now?? So unnecessary!

queenlizzie13

Postby queenlizzie13 » Sun Apr 17, 2011 1:31 am

DeeCee wrote:

Not necessarily, I got $ (not much mind though) but I have a low LSAT and a high GPA.

jb11

Postby jb11 » Sun Apr 17, 2011 10:53 am

Anyone else tried to check their status today? I'm getting an error message when I click the status checker link. Clearly this is a sign of a mass status update and we'll all have an answer by tomorrow. Yep, that's what I'm going with.

Capitalist

Postby Capitalist » Sun Apr 17, 2011 11:24 am

jb11 wrote:Anyone else tried to check their status today? I'm getting an error message when I click the status checker link. Clearly this is a sign of a mass status update and we'll all have an answer by tomorrow. Yep, that's what I'm going with.

I'm having trouble checking it as well. You certainly could be correct.

MrThomasFT3

Postby MrThomasFT3 » Sun Apr 17, 2011 11:28 am

I think almost all of the status checkers are down... Illinois, Tennessee, UNC were all down when i checked... Probably an update with regards to the folks who paid the deposit for April 15th is my best guess... I guess we'll see tomorrow though...

Capitalist

Postby Capitalist » Sun Apr 17, 2011 11:42 am

MrThomasFT3 wrote:I think almost all of the status checkers are down... Illinois, Tennessee, UNC were all down when i checked... Probably an update with regards to the folks who paid the deposit for April 15th is my best guess... I guess we'll see tomorrow though...

Yeah, just checked the statuses at my other schools, and they're down as well. There is going to be some serious status checking tomorrow.

Postby 20140606 » Sun Apr 17, 2011 12:12 pm

Anyone wanna speculate on the waitlist for this year?

DeeCee

Postby DeeCee » Sun Apr 17, 2011 4:47 pm

queenlizzie13 wrote:
DeeCee wrote:

Not necessarily, I got $ (not much mind though) but I have a low LSAT and a high GPA.

Your LSAT is almost at their median, mine is a couple points below the 25th percentile, so I doubt I'll be getting $. I'm doubtful, but maybe there is hope since presumably some of the people who got money put down deposits at other schools....here's to hoping! lol

beccabea

Postby beccabea » Sun Apr 17, 2011 5:16 pm

Yeah, Dean States said they would give out literally every cent that they had, but the NC legislature is trying really hard to scrimp on the university system, so who knows how that'll affect the law school. :[ I know a lot of people who were hoping for money didn't get any, and I think this is the reason. Until some more money gets freed up by people turning down offers, admissions doesn't have anything to give.

lolrskates wrote:Anyone wanna speculate on the waitlist for this year?

I'm not sure there's any way for us to speculate, since who gets in off the waitlist depends entirely on who pays seat deposits and then jumps ship. I remember somebody saying something like 25ish people got in one year, so we can use that to get an idea assuming that things don't vary too much, but other than that it's just a wait-and-see.

Given that public education reform is something I could see myself going into someday, I feel a lot more comfortable with myself working in that sector after having come from a public school... but still, just think what a school Carolina has the potential to be if it weren't dependent on a budget that's constantly being slashed. :/

LSATfromNC

Postby LSATfromNC » Sun Apr 17, 2011 5:23 pm

Congrats to all the recent admits, good luck to all the recent waitlistees, and for those of you who may not have an answer, I know, I know, UNC can be slow as $hit.

DeeCee

Postby DeeCee » Sun Apr 17, 2011 5:25 pm

beccabea wrote:

Given that public education reform is something I could see myself going into someday, I feel a lot more comfortable with myself working in that sector after having come from a public school... but still, just think what a school Carolina has the potential to be if it weren't dependent on a budget that's constantly being slashed. :/

I voted for Bev Perdue because she was big on education. But I am SERIOUSLY tired of all of the cuts to the UNC system. Funding was just frozen at my current school, and some of our grad students can no longer obtain funds or use money they were awarded for their research. Is there not another area that we can cut from that is not education-related??

innernetp

Postby innernetp » Sun Apr 17, 2011 5:26 pm

Well, in a very difficult decision I turned down the Chancellors Scholarship, so that should put some money on the table for them to use. Good luck, future Heels. If you're in the Chapel Hill/Carrboro area and have questions about how to get around feel free to PM me.

DeeCee

Postby DeeCee » Sun Apr 17, 2011 5:27 pm

innernetp wrote:Well, in a very difficult decision I turned down the Chancellors Scholarship, so that should put some money on the table for them to use. Good luck, future Heels. If you're in the Chapel Hill/Carrboro area and have questions about how to get around feel free to PM me.

really?? I'm very surprised. If you don't mind sharing, where will you be attending instead?

innernetp

Postby innernetp » Sun Apr 17, 2011 5:48 pm

DeeCee wrote:
innernetp wrote:Well, in a very difficult decision I turned down the Chancellors Scholarship, so that should put some money on the table for them to use. Good luck, future Heels. If you're in the Chapel Hill/Carrboro area and have questions about how to get around feel free to PM me.

really?? I'm very surprised. If you don't mind sharing, where will you be attending instead?

USC, pending a deferral. I have a lot of good feelings for UNC but I wanted job security in LA. When I started this cycle out I thought UT was my dream school. I got in and after touring it was disappointed in the program and the facilities (though the alumni network is fantastic I'm sure). Getting the scholarship at UNC made me think long and hard about exactly where I want to be and do. Going out to LA at this point in my life is what I feel to be a good career move. It's the second largest legal market in the country and USC does extremely well there; I felt like I'd have plenty of mobility from that decision to work in government or otherwise. UNC does very well in its region, but I'm not willing to tie myself down to the SE right now. What's more, though I love that UNC puts such a strong focus on pro bono work and PI, even if that's my ultimate career I know I'd like to work in a mid-large size firm when I start out and then move on.

Still, I will always be a Tar Heel and NC will always be my home.

DeeCee

Postby DeeCee » Sun Apr 17, 2011 5:54 pm

innernetp wrote:
DeeCee wrote:

USC, pending a deferral. I have a lot of good feelings for UNC but I wanted job security in LA. When I started this cycle out I thought UT was my dream school. I got in and after touring it was disappointed in the program and the facilities (though the alumni network is fantastic I'm sure). Getting the scholarship at UNC made me think long and hard about exactly where I want to be and do. Going out to LA at this point in my life is what I feel to be a good career move. It's the second largest legal market in the country and USC does extremely well there; I felt like I'd have plenty of mobility from that decision to work in government or otherwise. UNC does very well in its region, but I'm not willing to tie myself down to the SE right now. What's more, though I love that UNC puts such a strong focus on pro bono work and PI, even if that's my ultimate career I know I'd like to work in a mid-large size firm when I start out and then move on.

Still, I will always be a Tar Heel and NC will always be my home.

Well, you're a pretty strong person to make that decision. Throughout this whole process I have felt an intense inner struggle between staying and leaving NC. I first I was set on leaving and exploring a new place, like the DC area, but then I really thought about my life and thought that I'd actually like to stay here for a little longer. NC has been my home for so many years, and I have amazing environmental connections in the mountains and on the coast, and I could get a great start here, and move a few years later if I want.

Good luck on your new adventure!!!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”