UNC 2011 Applicants

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
Jeffro

Re: UNC 2011 Applicants

Postby Jeffro » Wed Apr 13, 2011 6:58 pm

YouDontKnowMe wrote:You keep saying this but never tell us what these gaps are. We'd all like to know, and it would also give more weight to your argument. Anyway, no program is perfect, and you've also got to take into account other factors that are going to affect your satisfaction over the next three years and beyond. Personally, I'm super-excited at the prospect of living in Chapel Hill and not having to take on massive debt.
Having explained them before I didn't feel the need to go through them again, but basically the focus seems to be only on public interest. Granted for some this is a huge plus, but if that's not your focus or your focus changes, you could be behind the curve 3 years from now. Career Services also apparently puts a lot of focus on public interest, so there is a significant underrepresentation of small and medium-sized firms at OCI and other events. Other NC schools don't overlook such opportunities for their students. Debt is a huge consideration for many, but Wake Forest, just as an example, has made scholarship offers to many students that bring their cost down to the price of UNC at sticker. With price being equal at that point, the concern becomes opportunities available during and after law school.

YouDontKnowMe wrote:
Jeffro wrote:I have also truly considered the idea of trying to study in the law library around finals and getting to hear the marching band practice outside all day...not good for me.

Two different people when I went said that this doesn't generally present a problem, as practices don't last long and a lot of people just stick in earplugs. Not to mention that there are lots of parts to the library and plenty of other places in the school to study. So again, a consideration for some people, but still not a game-changer.
It shouldn't even be a scenario that I would have to wear ear plugs in order to study for law school finals in the law school library, barring some temporary construction or something similar. You're right, not a game changer, but something to take into account.

Jeffro

Postby Jeffro » Wed Apr 13, 2011 7:18 pm

Basically, I'm not trying to bash anyone's dream school. UNC has a lot to offer and is especially great for NC residents looking to practice public interest in NC. Even if you're not doing public interest, the low COA is hard to pass up. My feeling, though, is that it's that low cost itself that tends to be the biggest draw for UNC. UNC must know how hard it is for many to pass up the low COA and I wouldn't be surprised if that lets the school disregard a lot of other things. I'm just looking at a lot of factors beyond affordability.

skw

Postby skw » Wed Apr 13, 2011 7:25 pm

Regarding public interest, Carolina has more grads go into public interest than peer schools ~25% is what they said at ASD vs 5% or so for peers). UNC offers opportunities for pursuits outside of public interest both during and after law school. In fact, NC opportunities for firm employment will be great for Carolina grads, given Carolina's rep and the alumni network. FWIW your best chance at a job out of ANY school is your own network and conscientious advocation on your own behalf. I base this on my 11 years of experience climbing the corporate ladder in another career field, but I expect it will be similar for legal jobs.

If you are this frustrated with the process maybe you would be better off withdrawing from consideration at Carolina. I don't mean to pass judgement or anything but given what you have written I don't think you would be very happy spending 3 years there.

Jeffro

Postby Jeffro » Wed Apr 13, 2011 7:36 pm

skw wrote:Regarding public interest, Carolina has more grads go into public interest than peer schools ~25% is what they said at ASD vs 5% or so for peers). UNC offers opportunities for pursuits outside of public interest both during and after law school. In fact, NC opportunities for firm employment will be great for Carolina grads, given Carolina's rep and the alumni network. FWIW your best chance at a job out of ANY school is your own network and conscientious advocation on your own behalf. I base this on my 11 years of experience climbing the corporate ladder in another career field, but I expect it will be similar for legal jobs.

If you are this frustrated with the process maybe you would be better off withdrawing from consideration at Carolina. I don't mean to pass judgement or anything but given what you have written I don't think you would be very happy spending 3 years there.
Like I said, public interest is their focus. I know that it would seem that there would be great NC firm opportunities, but I don't know if it's as great as we would think it would be, based on my conversations with grads. I recognize that you will have to do a lot of work yourself regardless of where you go, but you obviously want to be starting with as strong a leg up as possible.

As I've been saying, I'm just openly discussing things. Save for my frustrated venting about Admissions, my posts have not been meant to imply that I hate UNC or anything of the sort. I am just sharing information and opinions. I get the feeling that actually discussing what UNC has been doing and has to offer is not looked well upon around here.

DeeCee

Postby DeeCee » Wed Apr 13, 2011 7:40 pm

Jeffro wrote:
skw wrote:Regarding public interest, Carolina has more grads go into public interest than peer schools ~25% is what they said at ASD vs 5% or so for peers). UNC offers opportunities for pursuits outside of public interest both during and after law school. In fact, NC opportunities for firm employment will be great for Carolina grads, given Carolina's rep and the alumni network. FWIW your best chance at a job out of ANY school is your own network and conscientious advocation on your own behalf. I base this on my 11 years of experience climbing the corporate ladder in another career field, but I expect it will be similar for legal jobs.

Like I said, public interest is their focus. I know that it would seem that there would be great NC firm opportunities, but I don't know if it's as great as we would think it would be, based on my conversations with grads. I recognize that you will have to do a lot of work yourself regardless of where you go, but you obviously want to be starting with as strong a leg up as possible.

As I've been saying, I'm just openly discussing things. Save for my frustrated venting about Admissions, my posts have not been meant to imply that I hate UNC or anything of the sort. I am just sharing information and opinions. I get the feeling that actually discussing what UNC has been doing and has to offer is not looked well upon around here.

Jeffro, have you talked to grads that wanted Biglaw/ Midlaw? Is this what you want? In your recent convos with grads, what did they say?

Personally, I will be going into public interest and I'm not concerned with Biglaw. But I was asking because I wanted to know how the chats with grads went.

skw

Postby skw » Wed Apr 13, 2011 7:41 pm

Fair enough. This is, after all, a discussion board.

I look at the public interest thing a little differently though. My situation (for clarity) is that I live in NC and plan to stay here. I will be looking for a firm job in a medium to large firm in IP when I graduate. I view Carolina as the school that will create most of my competition for this type of job (again given their alumni network, location, and rep). Given that 25% of my classmates are not even remotely interested in competing for the type of job I'm interested in, I view my chances at landing those jobs as higher than they would be if 95% of the class was interested in firm work. Just my 2 cents...

DeeCee

Postby DeeCee » Wed Apr 13, 2011 7:49 pm

skw wrote:Fair enough. This is, after all, a discussion board.

I look at the public interest thing a little differently though. My situation (for clarity) is that I live in NC and plan to stay here. I will be looking for a firm job in a medium to large firm in IP when I graduate. I view Carolina as the school that will create most of my competition for this type of job (again given their alumni network, location, and rep). Given that 25% of my classmates are not even remotely interested in competing for the type of job I'm interested in, I view my chances at landing those jobs as higher than they would be if 95% of the class was interested in firm work. Just my 2 cents...

well damn maybe I should go to one of those schools with less the 5% in PI.......just kidding :D

I'm going to Carolina because it's the best school I got into with the cheapest tuition, and to tell you the truth, I wanted to go to UNC for UG but I couldn't because of family circumstances. I'm WL all over the T14 but I do not want to pay that kind of tuition when I probably will not seek a job (because I want PI) that can pay that back. Plus, I want a job in the NC to DC area, so Carolina fits the bill here.

Jeffro

Postby Jeffro » Wed Apr 13, 2011 7:58 pm

DeeCee wrote:Jeffro, have you talked to grads that wanted Biglaw/ Midlaw? Is this what you want? In your recent convos with grads, what did they say?

Personally, I will be going into public interest and I'm not concerned with Biglaw. But I was asking because I wanted to know how the chats with grads went.
I've talked with grads that are currently employed as attorneys. One is in public interest, but would have gone for Biglaw had they had better grades. The other is in a very small firm. The former noted that the focus on public interest limits a lot of things outside of public interest (networking opportunities, clinics, etc.). The latter in particular noted that they would liked to have gotten more choices during OCI, such as Midlaw, but there was little to choose from outside of PI or Biglaw. I personally have no interest in Biglaw, but could see myself in Midlaw or even smaller eventually. I do even have a public interest background, so really I would feel comfortable anywhere other than Biglaw.
skw wrote:Fair enough. This is, after all, a discussion board.

This is an interesting take, but I am concerned about the handful of other law schools in NC with people who are looking for those types of jobs. You mentioned ASD earlier...did they tell you what percentages of their alumni are in IP or similar firms?

zonto

Postby zonto » Wed Apr 13, 2011 8:38 pm

Waitlisted yesterday.
Withdrew today.

DeadLaw

Postby DeadLaw » Wed Apr 13, 2011 10:53 pm

Jeffro wrote:The latter in particular noted that they would liked to have gotten more choices during OCI, such as Midlaw, but there was little to choose from outside of PI or Biglaw

You bring up valid points, but I think most agree that as far as staying in NC that UNC and Wake are the best bets, and if there is a difference in firms that come for each OCI that it is not large. If someone wanted more choices for OCI, then they would probably have to go to a school in a different region (or T14).

fredgoodsell

Postby fredgoodsell » Wed Apr 13, 2011 11:47 pm

I saw someone mention the cheap cost of living in Chapel Hill and I think it's important to note the unique housing/rental market there.

The cost of buying a house in Chapel Hill is very high- averages prices are $323,000 compared to $185,000 in Raleigh. http://www.wral.com/news/local/story/9404837/

Renting can also leave a lot to be desired as well, as finding something affordable and close to the law school isn't easy. Carrboro is an awesome place (I wish every town had a Weaver Street Market), but not within walking distance to the law school. http://www.dailytarheel.com/index.php/a ... ble_prices

Hopefully there will be denser developments on Franklin/Rosemary that are affordable, but those would be years away. Although the law school is moving to Carolina North at some point in the future?

protein

Postby protein » Thu Apr 14, 2011 3:41 am

fredgoodsell wrote:
Renting can also leave a lot to be desired as well, as finding something affordable and close to the law school isn't easy. Carrboro is an awesome place (I wish every town had a Weaver Street Market), but not within walking distance to the law school. http://www.dailytarheel.com/index.php/a ... ble_prices

?

That's the problem. The law school is relatively close to the center of campus, so of course anything close to it is going to cost a fortune. The affordable stuff is always going to be far away. I have heard about people renting out the (big) houses near Ridge Rd. across from the law school, but those are probably 3/4 BR + high rent houses.

The best thing to do for housing is to find an affordable place near a bus line that drops you off close to the law school, since apparently 1L's don't get parking

Postby 20140606 » Thu Apr 14, 2011 8:28 am

Why are people that are currently enrolled as law students still trolling this forum? I'm really wondering, this is not a rhetorical question.

innernetp

Postby innernetp » Thu Apr 14, 2011 8:44 am

protein wrote:
fredgoodsell wrote:

?

That's the problem. The law school is relatively close to the center of campus, so of course anything close to it is going to cost a fortune. The affordable stuff is always going to be far away. I have heard about people renting out the (big) houses near Ridge Rd. across from the law school, but those are probably 3/4 BR + high rent houses.

The best thing to do for housing is to find an affordable place near a bus line that drops you off close to the law school, since apparently 1L's don't get parking

+1. The NU goes right by the school, and I know there's a bus that pretty much drops you off right beside you but I can't remember which it is.

Learn the streets that the NU goes by and then start looking them up on Chapel Hill Rent. They're out there for sure.

Carrboro has a couple buses that go through, the F, J, and CW, that will bring you to a bus stop (frat ct) that's walkable-ish to the law school, or transfer to another bus. It seems like... you could either live in Carrboro and have a bike that you ride either the whole way or from frat court, or live right by the NU. Or even less likely live a walkable distance to the school. OR live out in Meadowmont and drive to the Friday Center then take that bus in (a more expensive option).

Hope this helps.

borntorun86

Postby borntorun86 » Thu Apr 14, 2011 8:59 am

innernetp wrote:
protein wrote:
fredgoodsell wrote:

?

+1. The NU goes right by the school, and I know there's a bus that pretty much drops you off right beside you but I can't remember which it is.

Learn the streets that the NU goes by and then start looking them up on Chapel Hill Rent. They're out there for sure.

Carrboro has a couple buses that go through, the F, J, and CW, that will bring you to a bus stop (frat ct) that's walkable-ish to the law school, or transfer to another bus. It seems like... you could either live in Carrboro and have a bike that you ride either the whole way or from frat court, or live right by the NU. Or even less likely live a walkable distance to the school. OR live out in Meadowmont and drive to the Friday Center then take that bus in (a more expensive option).

Hope this helps.

If you live in Carrboro, it's about a 10-15 minute bike ride (depending on the lights). Mostly flat, which is the ONLY commute in Chapel Hill that provides you with that luxary.

scruffs mcguff

Postby scruffs mcguff » Thu Apr 14, 2011 11:49 am

lolrskates wrote:Why are people that are currently enrolled as law students still trolling this forum? I'm really wondering, this is not a rhetorical question.

Which posters are "trolling"???

DeeCee

Postby DeeCee » Thu Apr 14, 2011 11:54 am

scruffs mcguff wrote:
lolrskates wrote:Why are people that are currently enrolled as law students still trolling this forum? I'm really wondering, this is not a rhetorical question.

yeah, I was wondering this too. I mean they do attend the UNC law school and all, seems fitting that they'd be here....

Postby 20140606 » Thu Apr 14, 2011 12:24 pm

DeeCee wrote:
scruffs mcguff wrote:

yeah, I was wondering this too. I mean they do attend the UNC law school and all, seems fitting that they'd be here....

I'm referencing all the "I can't believe you people are whining so much" posts.

Also, this is a UNC 2011 Applicants thread specifically. Why does it seem fitting that they'd be here?

DeeCee

Postby DeeCee » Thu Apr 14, 2011 12:35 pm

lolrskates wrote:
DeeCee wrote:
scruffs mcguff wrote:

I'm referencing all the "I can't believe you people are whining so much" posts.

Also, this is a UNC 2011 Applicants thread specifically. Why does it seem fitting that they'd be here?

Because they are current UNC students, and maybe they want to speak with UNC applicants. I'm not trying to start a shitstorm here, I just think that if everyone is so angry maybe they should contact admissions and let them know. When I've had issues during my review, I called and they've been accommodating. Understand that current students want their school to look good on here, so they will come to the place where people are talking negatively about UNC and defend it to the end.

I admit the process has been strenuous for many applicants on here. However, I really think that calling them and letting them know that you will no longer consider UNC law because of their admissions process is what should be done, if this is how you feel (if this is your case, I don't know your specific situation). That way, the message comes across in a serious manner, rather than anonymous complaints online.

scruffs mcguff

Postby scruffs mcguff » Thu Apr 14, 2011 1:21 pm

lolrskates wrote:Also, this is a UNC 2011 Applicants thread specifically. Why does it seem fitting that they'd be here?

Current applicants have questions and comments about the admissions process. Current students went through it and can share experiences and give insight that current applicants don't have.

Postby 20140606 » Thu Apr 14, 2011 1:35 pm

Ummm... yeah actually I haven't complained at all about UNC's handling of whatever and whatever. The wait sucks and all but I'm not really super worried about it. I was genuinely asking why current students were posting responses (if you look back I said I wasn't asking a rhetorical question) and I guess now I have my answer. Thanks though.

Also in reference to defending UNC... I'm a 3rd genereation alumnus and my family has lived in Chapel Hill for like 200 years. Please don't for one second think that I need to be lectured on this subject.

(I'd quote things but apparently you can't embed more than 4 quotes so... yeah)

:D

DeeCee

Postby DeeCee » Thu Apr 14, 2011 1:44 pm

lolrskates wrote:Ummm... yeah actually I haven't complained at all about UNC's handling of whatever and whatever. The wait sucks and all but I'm not really super worried about it. I was genuinely asking why current students were posting responses (if you look back I said I wasn't asking a rhetorical question) and I guess now I have my answer. Thanks though.

Also in reference to defending UNC... I'm a 3rd genereation alumnus and my family has lived in Chapel Hill for like 200 years. Please don't for one second think that I need to be lectured on this subject.

Sorry, wasn't trying to lecture you personally, and I didn't go though your post history to see if you were one of the people irritated about the wait. My comment was more general in that it was addressing both the UNC enrolled students question, and the current mood/state of this UNC thread. I'm just getting tired of the bickering here.....I'll prob just be hanging over in the Class of 2014 thread and hopefully some more admits will join us in the next couple of weeks!! :)

Postby 20140606 » Thu Apr 14, 2011 1:53 pm

DeeCee wrote:
lolrskates wrote:Ummm... yeah actually I haven't complained at all about UNC's handling of whatever and whatever. The wait sucks and all but I'm not really super worried about it. I was genuinely asking why current students were posting responses (if you look back I said I wasn't asking a rhetorical question) and I guess now I have my answer. Thanks though.

Sorry, wasn't trying to lecture you personally, and I didn't go though your post history to see if you were one of the people irritated about the wait. My comment was more general in that it was addressing both the UNC enrolled students question, and the current mood/state of this UNC thread. I'm just getting tired of the bickering here.....I'll prob just be hanging over in the Class of 2014 thread and hopefully some more admits will join us in the next couple of weeks!! :)

See you in a few days I hope, hahaha. I'm actually glad not to have heard yet because both my scores are close to the median which makes me think that since I haven't been waitlisted [knock on wood] they'll offer me a spot once one opens up.

FINGERS CROSSED!!!! I NEED MY JOB AT THE UL BACK! teehee

The Valkyrie

Postby The Valkyrie » Thu Apr 14, 2011 1:55 pm

chapel hill native here. if I can help anyone with housing or questions about the town, shoot.

SteelyDan

Postby SteelyDan » Thu Apr 14, 2011 3:06 pm

lolrskates wrote:Also in reference to defending UNC... I'm a 3rd genereation alumnus and my family has lived in Chapel Hill for like 200 years. Please don't for one second think that I need to be lectured on this subject.

Annnnd people like you are why I decided to go to Wake instead. Zing! Argue about that one for a few pages!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”