UNC 2011 Applicants

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
protein

Re: UNC 2011 Applicants

Postby protein » Thu Apr 07, 2011 8:06 pm

Bobo355 wrote:Yup the scores and grades aren't all that count. The rest of ur application counts for something. Still probably doesn't matter when you were waitlisted. Just depends on how strong ur overall application is compared to everyone else on the WL.

This sounds about right.

Seems pretty counter-intuitive that UNC would take low numbers off the WL though.

Bobo355

Postby Bobo355 » Thu Apr 07, 2011 11:42 pm

protein wrote:
Bobo355 wrote:Yup the scores and grades aren't all that count. The rest of ur application counts for something. Still probably doesn't matter when you were waitlisted. Just depends on how strong ur overall application is compared to everyone else on the WL.

This sounds about right.

Seems pretty counter-intuitive that UNC would take low numbers off the WL though.

Well from what I heard from admissions when I visited the school was that they take people with scores from all the ranges. Obviously there is a minimum they will consider but they try to get at least one high 150's and keep most around the 160's. So if they lose a lower score, then they'll grab a lower score. Also it depends on if they lose a minority, then they grab a minority. So sounds like you will get pulled off the WL based off of who dropped out.

Bobo355

Postby Bobo355 » Thu Apr 07, 2011 11:42 pm

protein wrote:

This sounds about right.

Well from what I heard from admissions when I visited the school was that they take people with scores from all the ranges. Obviously there is a minimum they will consider but they try to get at least one high 150's and keep most around the 160's. So if they lose a lower score, then they'll grab a lower score. Also it depends on if they lose a minority, then they grab a minority. So sounds like you will get pulled off the WL based off of who dropped out.

nillumin

Postby nillumin » Fri Apr 08, 2011 11:45 am

I got accepted last friday and have yet to receive a packet in the mail....how quick did people receive their package after getting the email...i would kind of like to get it before i decide to visit the admitted students day.

Moral_Midgetry

Postby Moral_Midgetry » Fri Apr 08, 2011 11:47 am

nillumin wrote:I got accepted last friday and have yet to receive a packet in the mail....how quick did people receive their package after getting the email...i would kind of like to get it before i decide to visit the admitted students day.

I never got a packet, just a congrats letter.

nillumin

Postby nillumin » Fri Apr 08, 2011 12:07 pm

Moral_Midgetry wrote:
nillumin wrote:I got accepted last friday and have yet to receive a packet in the mail....how quick did people receive their package after getting the email...i would kind of like to get it before i decide to visit the admitted students day.

Yea this is what I meant I suppose. I'm just curious as to whether or not I will get any kind of money...haven't got any letter as of yet.

protein

Postby protein » Fri Apr 08, 2011 12:33 pm

nillumin wrote:
Moral_Midgetry wrote:

Yea this is what I meant I suppose. I'm just curious as to whether or not I will get any kind of money...haven't got any letter as of yet.

UNC sends out scholly offers by email. I think a couple pages back someone posted that UNC was done with their first round of offers + they'd issue another round after the first deposit date (which is apparently May 1 now).

The turnaround from admission to scholly email was about a week for me, if that helps

edit: here's the quote straight from the email sent by Dean States

"Scholarship awards

We have made our first round of scholarship offers via email. After we receive our first round of seat deposits, we will calculate how much of our scholarship budget has been spent. If there are funds remaining, we will award additional scholarships at that time. Only those who have submitted a seat deposit and have not yet received an award will be eligible at that time. We will not increase awards already made."

boom_cs

Postby boom_cs » Fri Apr 08, 2011 2:02 pm

For those still waiting, what are the chances you think you get in?

I am just stuck thinking i am already rejected and wanted to see if there were others with the same idea.

Bobo355

Postby Bobo355 » Fri Apr 08, 2011 2:23 pm

boom_cs wrote:For those still waiting, what are the chances you think you get in?

I am just stuck thinking i am already rejected and wanted to see if there were others with the same idea.

I talked admission this week and they said they have not even reviewed all application and still have acceptances to give out. Also, they said they had given out less then 400 so far and considering they gave out 550 last year... I'd say our chances are slimer, but we technically still have a chance to get in.

Capitalist

Postby Capitalist » Sun Apr 10, 2011 10:38 pm

Any app updates to report? How was ASD for those that attended this past Friday?

richis7

Postby richis7 » Mon Apr 11, 2011 11:20 am

boom_cs wrote:For those still waiting, what are the chances you think you get in?

I am predicting wait list...

DeeCee

Postby DeeCee » Mon Apr 11, 2011 11:26 am

Capitalist wrote:Any app updates to report? How was ASD for those that attended this past Friday?

it was good. We heard a lot of student perspectives throughout the day, and there was a huge emphasis on public interest, which I liked. However, just be prepared to sit in one chair from 9-12:30 with little to no breaks. I didn't realize it would be like that, and those 3.5 hours were pretty hard for me to give my attention, especially since I had eaten breakfast at 7 and I was starving. I'd recommend bringing a (quiet) snack and water/soda because the hunger and thirstiness was a big distraction for me, at least.

Also, lunch was great, very eastern NC-ish. And I really liked the tour-- I had never walked the building so it was nice, and you get to hear a student's perspective throughout the tour.

smartblonde87

Postby smartblonde87 » Mon Apr 11, 2011 5:05 pm

zomg i want a decision!

Capitalist

Postby Capitalist » Mon Apr 11, 2011 6:52 pm

smartblonde87 wrote:zomg i want a decision!

Me too (as long as it's not a rejection)... :?

zonto

Postby zonto » Mon Apr 11, 2011 9:17 pm

Capitalist wrote:
smartblonde87 wrote:zomg i want a decision!

Me too (as long as it's not a rejection)... :?

I wouldn't even care if it's that at this point...

mez06

Postby mez06 » Mon Apr 11, 2011 9:21 pm

Hey UNC staff that reads this, are you really going to wait until May 1st to let us know? I applied in November. Your basic response may be to say that " you're working as fast as you can", but let's be honest. You have been the slowest school BY FAR in getting decisions out. People make their LIFE decisions based upon these letters. Not only are you putting things in my life on a standstill, you're hurting me financially because of seat deposits. Thanks for not giving a damn about the students.

Barbie

Postby Barbie » Mon Apr 11, 2011 9:25 pm

mez06 wrote:Hey UNC staff that reads this, are you really going to wait until May 1st to let us know? I applied in November. Your basic response may be to say that " you're working as fast as you can", but let's be honest. You have been the slowest school BY FAR in getting decisions out. People make their LIFE decisions based upon these letters. Not only are you putting things in my life on a standstill, you're hurting me financially because of seat deposits. Thanks for not giving a damn about the students.

daaaang son. Where did you deposit? I've asked schools to extend my seat deposit deadline and actually got one to agree :) hah.

GWdawg

Postby GWdawg » Mon Apr 11, 2011 11:25 pm

mez06 wrote:Hey UNC staff that reads this, are you really going to wait until May 1st to let us know? I applied in November. Your basic response may be to say that " you're working as fast as you can", but let's be honest. You have been the slowest school BY FAR in getting decisions out. People make their LIFE decisions based upon these letters. Not only are you putting things in my life on a standstill, you're hurting me financially because of seat deposits. Thanks for not giving a damn about the students.

You guys crack me up, especially the ones who get all upset because the admissions office isn't getting to YOUR application when YOU want them to. Yes they take a long time, but that is because they have like 4000 applications and MAYBE 4 people to read them. And by read them, I mean actually read them. Every bit of it. They're trying, and they'll get to you eventually. Remember the dynamic here: you are asking them for something, not the other way around. They do not owe you anything, so lose the sense of entitlement, be patient, and get over yourself. If you are really that great a candidate, you should't be so insecure about getting in.

Postby 20140606 » Tue Apr 12, 2011 12:35 am

GWdawg wrote:

You guys crack me up, especially the ones who get all upset because the admissions office isn't getting to YOUR application when YOU want them to. Yes they take a long time, but that is because they have like 4000 applications and MAYBE 4 people to read them. And by read them, I mean actually read them. Every bit of it. They're trying, and they'll get to you eventually. Remember the dynamic here: you are asking them for something, not the other way around. They do not owe you anything, so lose the sense of entitlement, be patient, and get over yourself. If you are really that great a candidate, you should't be so insecure about getting in.

Preach!

I'm checking my status every day from Marvdasht, Iran right now. Dedication is convincing your relatives that still poop in a hole in the ground to get DSL for you hahaha.

UNC, Y U play with my heart?. le sigh x 2.

Jeffro

Postby Jeffro » Tue Apr 12, 2011 12:37 am

GWdawg wrote:

Look at this guy. What part of people complaining that UNC is slow as fuck is entitled? I noticed from a quick search of your posts that you are a UNC 1L and got in before Christmas during your cycle...it must have been quite a burden for you to wait for so long. Our concerns are not the personal entitlements of applicants or insecurities showing through, they're the apparent entitlement UNC displays in giving so many a late response. You're right we did ask UNC for something, but they do owe us something in return - professional courtesy. 4000 applications and only 4 people to read them? Get some more fucking people. Figure out how to give some sort of positive or negative update sooner then 5 months after a file goes complete. You're arrogant "chastising" of people voicing their concerns only further displays to me the sense of entitlement going around UNC. It's kind of like the admissions officer who called an applicant for posting on here. People need to know where they will be moving their families and make arrangements for living somewhere. You're right, we just can't get over ourselves.
Last edited by Jeffro on Tue Apr 12, 2011 12:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

BaliBoy

Postby BaliBoy » Tue Apr 12, 2011 12:43 am

GWdawg wrote:You guys crack me up, especially the ones who get all upset because the admissions office isn't getting to YOUR application when YOU want them to. Yes they take a long time, but that is because they have like 4000 applications and MAYBE 4 people to read them. And by read them, I mean actually read them. Every bit of it. They're trying, and they'll get to you eventually. Remember the dynamic here: you are asking them for something, not the other way around. They do not owe you anything, so lose the sense of entitlement, be patient, and get over yourself. If you are really that great a candidate, you should't be so insecure about getting in.

You sound like you have an entitlement issues yourself btw.

Look, I hope UNC admissions takes their time with applications. We don't know what issues have occurred behind the scenes to have caused them giving out most of their decisions right before and during April. but...

Before you go into the whole "the ones who get all upset because the admissions office isn't getting to YOUR application when YOU want them to." bit, realize that UNC is not the only law school. There is a status quo on how long it takes to even holistically review apps. UNC has taken way longer than their peer institutions (even institutions way above them.) I'm not even talking about those who have yet to receive a decision. UNC waited until the last week of March to decided on many TLS'ers from what I have read. From my anecdotal experience, UNC was way harder to approach compared to peer institutions up until acceptance. While one should not let the admissions department decide where they go to law school, UNC's has been noticeably worse then every other school's that I have encountered. I actually hope there was a reason for this behavior other than "they have like 4000 applications and MAYBE 4 people to read them"

protein

Postby protein » Tue Apr 12, 2011 8:49 am

Fun fact, my app is still complete at Cornell from 3/4. Haven't even been looked at yet.

Compared to Cornell, UNC has been just peaches

GWdawg

Postby GWdawg » Tue Apr 12, 2011 9:48 am

You got me, I actually go to this school, and I didn't have to wait that long. You can call me arrogant or entitled all you want, but I'm not the one on here griping (nor was I griping last year for schools who took a long time to get back) about how these schools aren't bowing down to my every need. Look, UNC can afford to be selective and take a long time because there are many people in this state who would give body parts to attend this school. The usually admit 550 or so people, and 280 of them attend. Like I said earlier, you're asking them for something, not the other way around. Relax and be patient, if they want you to go here they'll get in touch with you.

pokerlaw

Postby pokerlaw » Tue Apr 12, 2011 10:17 am

I was obsessed with getting a decision until I had to put down a seat deposit.

YouDontKnowMe

Postby YouDontKnowMe » Tue Apr 12, 2011 10:36 am

Well, they're purposely not giving out any more acceptances until April 15 when they can see how many seat deposits they've got, since they've accepted at least 100 more people than they can fit in the class, and UNC has a really high matriculation rate (percentage of people who go there after being accepted). So unless you guys are itching for a rejection or WL, you might want to calm down until after Friday.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”