UNC 2011 Applicants

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
TheFactor

Re: UNC 2011 Applicants

Postby TheFactor » Fri Apr 01, 2011 6:21 pm

zdayar wrote:
avonbarksdale wrote:
TheFactor wrote:UNC has a reputation for inflating grades, so saying that a 3.5 from UNC > 3.5 from UNC-W or another state school is pretty silly.

http://blogs.newsobserver.com/campusnot ... hapel-hill

That was from 2009 and since then, most professors have been purposely combating the inflation. The level of competition at UNC is not the same as UNCW. Nor is it the same at Harvard. Each must be considered in context. They really should consider class rank, rather than GPA, that way it would be easy to differentiate being top 20% from UNC, or 20% from Stanford or top 20% from App. Its the system of GPA evaluation that I have a problem with, UNC vs. UNCW was just an example, I've never attended class at UNCW

Adding on the GPA context discussion. I have an engineering degree from a really tough school and the highest GPA in my department when I graduated was 3.74. I was 3rd in my class w/ a 3.54. The number itself looks pretty mediocre on TLS, but I woked my butt off for 4 years for that number. It was just not possible to graduate with a 4.0 --- or even a 3.75.

I definitely agree that law schools should put more emphasis on class rank and difficulty of major. It's an unfortunate fact that the rankings rely so heavily on GPA as only a number. Seems pretty crazy that someone with a 4.0 in political science is head-and-shoulders above someone who did very well in an extremely difficult major.

protein

Postby protein » Fri Apr 01, 2011 6:23 pm

TheFactor wrote:
zdayar wrote:
avonbarksdale wrote:
TheFactor wrote:UNC has a reputation for inflating grades, so saying that a 3.5 from UNC > 3.5 from UNC-W or another state school is pretty silly.

That was from 2009 and since then, most professors have been purposely combating the inflation. The level of competition at UNC is not the same as UNCW. Nor is it the same at Harvard. Each must be considered in context. They really should consider class rank, rather than GPA, that way it would be easy to differentiate being top 20% from UNC, or 20% from Stanford or top 20% from App. Its the system of GPA evaluation that I have a problem with, UNC vs. UNCW was just an example, I've never attended class at UNCW

Adding on the GPA context discussion. I have an engineering degree from a really tough school and the highest GPA in my department when I graduated was 3.74. I was 3rd in my class w/ a 3.54. The number itself looks pretty mediocre on TLS, but I woked my butt off for 4 years for that number. It was just not possible to graduate with a 4.0 --- or even a 3.75.

I definitely agree that law schools should put more emphasis on class rank and difficulty of major. It's an unfortunate fact that the rankings rely so heavily on GPA as only a number. Seems pretty crazy that someone with a 4.0 in political science is head-and-shoulders above someone who did very well in an extremely difficult major.

that's basically what i've been telling all the UG i know. choose a relatively easy major and nail the GPA/standardized tests. admissions don't care what you major in, all they care about are your numbers

avonbarksdale

Postby avonbarksdale » Fri Apr 01, 2011 6:37 pm

yea, sad but true. I wish I knew that five years ago.

Capitalist

Postby Capitalist » Fri Apr 01, 2011 8:13 pm

Well, April 1 has (almost) passed, and I'm still "complete". :(

kwais

Postby kwais » Fri Apr 01, 2011 8:31 pm

In via Email! surprising considering I thought they were done for a while

Capitalist

Postby Capitalist » Fri Apr 01, 2011 8:38 pm

kwais wrote:In via Email! surprising considering I thought they were done for a while

Congrats!

UNC, where's my email?! :mrgreen:

nillumin

Postby nillumin » Fri Apr 01, 2011 10:12 pm

I got in today...164/4.00, i applied in early december....doubt i'll see any money unfortunately...

queenlizzie13

Postby queenlizzie13 » Fri Apr 01, 2011 10:52 pm

nillumin wrote:I got in today...164/4.00, i applied in early december....doubt i'll see any money unfortunately...

I have worse numbers than you and saw something. Although it definitely wasn't much...but it was something.

So you might get something. Don't give up hope yet.

Also congrats to everyone that got in today!

SupraVln180

Postby SupraVln180 » Sat Apr 02, 2011 1:15 pm

nillumin wrote:I got in today...164/4.00, i applied in early december....doubt i'll see any money unfortunately...

Dude, wait a cycle and ED to UVa. I know that is said all the time on this stupid site, but honestly do not even think about going to UNC at sticker when you can get UVa at sticker early next cycle. You're in good reverse splitter territory.

DeeCee

Postby DeeCee » Sat Apr 02, 2011 1:18 pm

SupraVln180 wrote:

Dude, wait a cycle and ED to UVa. I know that is said all the time on this stupid site, but honestly do not even think about going to UNC at sticker when you can get UVa at sticker early next cycle. You're in good reverse splitter territory.

Long time no see SupraVln!!
God you missed some shit in the lounge over the past few days if you haven't been on here

SupraVln180

Postby SupraVln180 » Sat Apr 02, 2011 1:30 pm

DeeCee wrote:
SupraVln180 wrote:

Long time no see SupraVln!!
God you missed some shit in the lounge over the past few days if you haven't been on here

Yeah, I Amtrak'ed it over to ND on Wednesday and just got back today, it was real, real nice, cold as fuck though. I'm used to the cold being from NY, but the type of climate is just different, the cold air is dry and it makes it feel colder, if that makes sense.

Lol, what have I missed on this ridiculous website?

beccabea

Postby beccabea » Sat Apr 02, 2011 1:40 pm

Last edited by beccabea on Tue Apr 05, 2011 2:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

DeeCee

Postby DeeCee » Sat Apr 02, 2011 2:05 pm

so you going the 8th, or are you def doing the 15th now Supra

SupraVln180

Postby SupraVln180 » Sat Apr 02, 2011 2:14 pm

beccabea wrote:
SupraVln180 wrote:

What are you talking about, Supra? It doesn't even look liked he applied to or expressed any particular interest in UVA. Also you can never guarantee you'll get in, so it could just end up being a waste of an extra cycle.

Also, I'm just curious, have people who just got in Thursday/yesterday or haven't heard back yet put deposits down at other schools? Like, either as a place-holder or you're going somewhere else

That could be true, all I was getting at was, based on his LSN, I believe he shot too low for his numbers. niliumin is a strong reverse splitter and I think can get into UVa or Michigan (only hopes for T14) with an ED.

He applied relatively late, and he basically got in everywhere he applied, meaning, he shot too low.

SupraVln180

Postby SupraVln180 » Sat Apr 02, 2011 2:17 pm

DeeCee wrote:so you going the 8th, or are you def doing the 15th now Supra

I'll be in ND again next weekend for ASW, I know it was retarded that I did that, but I had a weird scheduling fiasco and it just worked out like that. I am kind of set on ND, since they upped my scholarship when I went. But UNC's a cool place and I might come the 15th just to hang out and drink with you guys. (I really have nothing else to do, besides undergrad, but my teachers don't even care if I'm there anymore) I think I am going to drive down with some friends as well. DeeCee are you going the 8th?

DeeCee

Postby DeeCee » Sat Apr 02, 2011 2:25 pm

SupraVln180 wrote:

I'll be in ND again next weekend for ASW, I know it was retarded that I did that, but I had a weird scheduling fiasco and it just worked out like that. I am kind of set on ND, since they upped my scholarship when I went. But UNC's a cool place and I might come the 15th just to hang out and drink with you guys. (I really have nothing else to do, besides undergrad, but my teachers don't even care if I'm there anymore) I think I am going to drive down with some friends as well. DeeCee are you going the 8th?

yeah. I was hoping you'd be there!! :( It's hard for me to work out a later date like the 15th because the 18th is when I'll have one of the prominent sections of my thesis due. Around mid-to late April everything gets super crazy in my department, and I end up having to grade UG assignments, finish my projects, prepare presentations, and this year I also have to worry about the thesis. So even the 8th is pushing it, but I really need to make sure this is what I want to do. I feel so overly cautious about LS in general, esp having a Master's, and I just want to make sure I like the situation I'm getting into. Not sure if that makes sense, I kind of spelled out a bunch of random shit just now, lol

SupraVln180

Postby SupraVln180 » Sat Apr 02, 2011 2:38 pm

DeeCee wrote:
SupraVln180 wrote:

yeah. I was hoping you'd be there!! :( It's hard for me to work out a later date like the 15th because the 18th is when I'll have one of the prominent sections of my thesis due. Around mid-to late April everything gets super crazy in my department, and I end up having to grade UG assignments, finish my projects, prepare presentations, and this year I also have to worry about the thesis. So even the 8th is pushing it, but I really need to make sure this is what I want to do. I feel so overly cautious about LS in general, esp having a Master's, and I just want to make sure I like the situation I'm getting into. Not sure if that makes sense, I kind of spelled out a bunch of random shit just now, lol

I feel you, LS is a major (and expensive) decision. You have to be all in. But honestly, you can switch ASW's easily if you decide the 15th is more convenient. I RSVP'ed twice (by accident) to the April 8th one and just e-mailed Dean States and was like something came up I have to switch dates and he said that it's fine and he'd take care of it, so I'm sure you can switch them if you'd like.

TarHeel11

Postby TarHeel11 » Sun Apr 03, 2011 3:01 pm

As someone who attended both UNC and UNCW during undergrad, I can say, without any silliness involved, a UNC 3.5 > UNCW 3.5

Just because UNC is battling a grade inflation problem, doesn't mean UNCW doesn't also have one. You're also dealing with different cohorts and different levels of rigor within the curriculum.

I loved my time at UNCW, but getting a good grade there was much easier than at UNC.

TarHeel11

Postby TarHeel11 » Sun Apr 03, 2011 3:07 pm

avonbarksdale wrote:This is not to be critical of you, I don't know what schools you are specifically speaking of, but I think its frustrating that UNC and some other schools do not seem to appreciate that a 3.5 GPA from say UNC-CH undergrad is not the same as a 3.5 GPA from UNCW. IMO a 3.5 from UNCA or UNCG should not be given priority over a 3.0 from UNC-CH. Each score needs to be considered in context but UNC treats them as just raw numbers. In my experience most courses have been curved, therefore a particular grade is based on your score relative to your peers. and obviously some schools are more competitive than others. hope i didnt offend anyone with anything im saying

Maybe the admissions office has changed things since I was accepted a few years ago, but my understanding is that they look at GPA specific to the school the student attended and the data they've collected over many years of how successful students from that school in that GPA range have been at UNC Law. So they compare a Naval Academy 2.8 to a Naval Academy 2.8 and a UNC-CH 3.3 to a UNC-CH 3.3 and a UNCA 4.0 to a UNCA 4.0 when making admissions decisions. That's the way it was explained to me many years ago, and if it is the case, than 3.5 from UNC-CH isn't likely to end up being equivalent to a UNCW 3.5.

fredgoodsell

Postby fredgoodsell » Sun Apr 03, 2011 5:27 pm

Has anyone talked to the admissions office and know if they’re sending out any more acceptances? Or just waitlists and rejections?

DeeCee

Postby DeeCee » Sun Apr 03, 2011 5:33 pm

TarHeel11 wrote:

As someone who attended both UNC and UNCW during undergrad, I can say, without any silliness involved, a UNC 3.5 > UNCW 3.5

Just because UNC is battling a grade inflation problem, doesn't mean UNCW doesn't also have one. You're also dealing with different cohorts and different levels of rigor within the curriculum.

I loved my time at UNCW, but getting a good grade there was much easier than at UNC.

What was your major at UNCW (unless you don't want to disclose)?

TarHeel11

Postby TarHeel11 » Sun Apr 03, 2011 6:03 pm

DeeCee wrote:
TarHeel11 wrote:

What was your major at UNCW (unless you don't want to disclose)?

English/Creative Writing

beccabea

Postby beccabea » Sun Apr 03, 2011 6:50 pm

Last edited by beccabea on Tue Apr 05, 2011 2:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Postby 20140606 » Sun Apr 03, 2011 10:18 pm

Kinda sucks, on Thursday I'm getting on a plane to go to Iran for a month. Do you know how hard it is to casually check your e-mail in the country of Iran? Hard man. Damn seat deposit. Grumble grumble...

BEH321

Postby BEH321 » Mon Apr 04, 2011 9:50 am

So my understanding is that some people did not move to "in review" before getting their decisions but instead stayed at ready for review??

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”