UNC 2011 Applicants

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
DubPoker

Re: UNC 2011 Applicants

Postby DubPoker » Thu Mar 31, 2011 8:21 pm

cay10789 wrote:Just got my acceptance e-mail. I submitted my application on Feb. 28 because I only had the February LSAT to report. File was completed on March 15. In-state, major splitter. SOO STOKED!

What kind of numbers caused them to look at your file so fast? If I may ask.

theavrock

Postby theavrock » Thu Mar 31, 2011 8:31 pm

MattThiessen wrote:
cay10789 wrote:Just got my acceptance e-mail. I submitted my application on Feb. 28 because I only had the February LSAT to report. File was completed on March 15. In-state, major splitter. SOO STOKED!

All the "Complete, Ready for Review" since December people are going to hate you. That includes me.

But seriously, CONGRATS!

What about those complete ready for review early november people?? :(

Congrats Cay!

Moral_Midgetry

Postby Moral_Midgetry » Thu Mar 31, 2011 10:25 pm

DeeCee wrote:So have you guys seen the rolling April Fool's joke about Ken selling TLS to US News? If not, look for it under active topics.

They are insisting (mods and Ken) it is not a joke. However, I'm sure things like this ALWAYS happen on April Fools-- right :?: :wink:

What a pathetic attempt at humor.

DeeCee

Postby DeeCee » Thu Mar 31, 2011 10:29 pm

Moral_Midgetry wrote:
DeeCee wrote:So have you guys seen the rolling April Fool's joke about Ken selling TLS to US News? If not, look for it under active topics.

They are insisting (mods and Ken) it is not a joke. However, I'm sure things like this ALWAYS happen on April Fools-- right :?: :wink:

What a pathetic attempt at humor.

kTXe

Postby kTXe » Fri Apr 01, 2011 4:16 am

Last edited by kTXe on Wed May 04, 2011 4:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

scruffs mcguff

Postby scruffs mcguff » Fri Apr 01, 2011 10:02 am

Yes I'm sure it's a joke. Pretty convincing though.

theavrock

Postby theavrock » Fri Apr 01, 2011 10:12 am

Last years joke was pretty good. That was the one where any time you posted anything with certain schools names they changed to something else upon submitting the post IIRC.

BEH321

Postby BEH321 » Fri Apr 01, 2011 11:28 am

okay so whats the deal with acceptances? are they no longer going out this week or they still are? im confused :(

DeeCee

Postby DeeCee » Fri Apr 01, 2011 11:36 am

BEH321 wrote:okay so whats the deal with acceptances? are they no longer going out this week or they still are? im confused :(

I don't know admissions, but my guess is they will continue to go out through this afternoon?
Then it might be crickets again for a bit.

Postby 20140606 » Fri Apr 01, 2011 11:39 am

DeeCee wrote:
BEH321 wrote:okay so whats the deal with acceptances? are they no longer going out this week or they still are? im confused :(

I don't know admissions, but my guess is they will continue to go out through this afternoon?

Does this mean that if you're not under review right now, you won't be hearing first round?

BEH321

Postby BEH321 » Fri Apr 01, 2011 11:43 am

I thought some people mentioned that you don't go "under review" and that they went straight from ready for review to decision rendered. not sure though

DeeCee

Postby DeeCee » Fri Apr 01, 2011 11:45 am

lolrskates wrote:
DeeCee wrote:

Does this mean that if you're not under review right now, you won't be hearing first round?

maybe you should call admissions and ask? I would assume this, but I do not know anything for a fact.

jdemmitt

Postby jdemmitt » Fri Apr 01, 2011 12:48 pm

Boy, I gotta say I am disappointed. Not having been reviewed or decided on by now means I am not a "strong" candidate or competitive. What a kick in the junk.

DeeCee

Postby DeeCee » Fri Apr 01, 2011 12:55 pm

jdemmitt wrote:Boy, I gotta say I am disappointed. Not having been reviewed or decided on by now means I am not a "strong" candidate or competitive. What a kick in the junk.

I'm sure they have spots left (albeit limited spots). If you get a decision May 1 though, THAT would be bad news. When did you submit? Numbers (if you don't mind)?

East Coast Law

Postby East Coast Law » Fri Apr 01, 2011 1:58 pm

Yea- im in the same boat; Top ten schools thought my app was competitive enough but apparently not enough for UNC to even review it; I have to say id really like to figure out how they evaluate an applicant's competitiveness without reviewimg the file; its obviously not by numbers either as so many of us above both medians have yet to hear.

Regardless, I will trust in the wisdom of the admissions office and hope for an amswer either way soon.

avonbarksdale

Postby avonbarksdale » Fri Apr 01, 2011 2:16 pm

East Coast Law wrote:Yea- im in the same boat; Top ten schools thought my app was competitive enough but apparently not enough for UNC to even review it; I have to say id really like to figure out how they evaluate an applicant's competitiveness without reviewimg the file; its obviously not by numbers either as so many of us above both medians have yet to hear.

Regardless, I will trust in the wisdom of the admissions office and hope for an amswer either way soon.

I don't understand either. I have no trust in this "wisdom" though. somehow people with lower numbers received scholarship offers while others were not even reviewed. It does seem that they put a tremendous emphasis on GPA and do not consider where you received your grades, but simply the raw number. And Ethnicity/ URM seems very important to UNC

DeeCee

Postby DeeCee » Fri Apr 01, 2011 2:24 pm

avonbarksdale wrote:
East Coast Law wrote:Yea- im in the same boat; Top ten schools thought my app was competitive enough but apparently not enough for UNC to even review it; I have to say id really like to figure out how they evaluate an applicant's competitiveness without reviewimg the file; its obviously not by numbers either as so many of us above both medians have yet to hear.

I don't understand either. I have no trust in this "wisdom" though. somehow people with lower numbers received scholarship offers while others were not even reviewed. It does seem that they put a tremendous emphasis on GPA and do not consider where you received your grades, but simply the raw number. And Ethnicity/ URM seems very important to UNC

Do you live in NC? If so you'd know why....I have attended two UNC system schools that have literally had NO diversity whatsoever. Hopefully it will be different at UNC.

Also, I can totally agree with you on the GPA part-- I have a high GPA and low LSAT, and I was reviewed and accepted quickly

avonbarksdale

Postby avonbarksdale » Fri Apr 01, 2011 2:33 pm

DeeCee wrote:
avonbarksdale wrote:

Do you live in NC? If so you'd know why....I have attended two UNC system schools that have literally had NO diversity whatsoever. Hopefully it will be different at UNC.

Also, I can totally agree with you on the GPA part-- I have a high GPA and low LSAT, and I was reviewed and accepted quickly

This is not to be critical of you, I don't know what schools you are specifically speaking of, but I think its frustrating that UNC and some other schools do not seem to appreciate that a 3.5 GPA from say UNC-CH undergrad is not the same as a 3.5 GPA from UNCW. IMO a 3.5 from UNCA or UNCG should not be given priority over a 3.0 from UNC-CH. Each score needs to be considered in context but UNC treats them as just raw numbers. In my experience most courses have been curved, therefore a particular grade is based on your score relative to your peers. and obviously some schools are more competitive than others. hope i didnt offend anyone with anything im saying

Gaucho

Postby Gaucho » Fri Apr 01, 2011 2:39 pm

STILL READY FOR REVIEW :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:

DeeCee

Postby DeeCee » Fri Apr 01, 2011 2:49 pm

avonbarksdale wrote:
DeeCee wrote:
avonbarksdale wrote:

This is not to be critical of you, I don't know what schools you are specifically speaking of, but I think its frustrating that UNC and some other schools do not seem to appreciate that a 3.5 GPA from say UNC-CH undergrad is not the same as a 3.5 GPA from UNCW. IMO a 3.5 from UNCA or UNCG should not be given priority over a 3.0 from UNC-CH. Each score needs to be considered in context but UNC treats them as just raw numbers. In my experience most courses have been curved, therefore a particular grade is based on your score relative to your peers. and obviously some schools are more competitive than others. hope i didnt offend anyone with anything im saying

No offense taken and I know exactly what you mean. I have a friend who goes to UNC and she works her ass off for a 3.2 in graphic design/journalism double major. She bartends on weekends, but otherwise has no time for work. I did a science degree at a UNC system school, rolled through with essentially a 4.0, did a bunch of extracurriculars, wrote an honors thesis, and had full-time employment. Now I don't know how great she is at school since I've never had a class with her, but from what I've heard a UNC GPA is not equivalent to many of the other schools.

Still, I think I deserve credit for doing what I did. I was essentially agreeing with you earlier about the GPA, but the schools I have attended have no diversity, and as a student who appreciates diversity and has Cuban roots on my mom's side, I'd like to see a range of faces.

TheFactor

Postby TheFactor » Fri Apr 01, 2011 5:10 pm

UNC has a reputation for inflating grades, so saying that a 3.5 from UNC > 3.5 from UNC-W or another state school is pretty silly.

http://blogs.newsobserver.com/campusnot ... hapel-hill

protein

Postby protein » Fri Apr 01, 2011 5:13 pm

TheFactor wrote:UNC has a reputation for inflating grades, so saying that a 3.5 from UNC > 3.5 from UNC-W or another state school is pretty silly.

depends on the major, i'd say

econ at unc was no walk in the park

beccabea

Postby beccabea » Fri Apr 01, 2011 5:21 pm

Last edited by beccabea on Tue Apr 05, 2011 2:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

avonbarksdale

Postby avonbarksdale » Fri Apr 01, 2011 5:34 pm

TheFactor wrote:UNC has a reputation for inflating grades, so saying that a 3.5 from UNC > 3.5 from UNC-W or another state school is pretty silly.

That was from 2009 and since then, most professors have been purposely combating the inflation. The level of competition at UNC is not the same as UNCW. Nor is it the same at Harvard. Each must be considered in context. They really should consider class rank, rather than GPA, that way it would be easy to differentiate being top 20% from UNC, or 20% from Stanford or top 20% from App. Its the system of GPA evaluation that I have a problem with, UNC vs. UNCW was just an example, I've never attended class at UNCW

zdayar

Postby zdayar » Fri Apr 01, 2011 6:08 pm

avonbarksdale wrote:

That was from 2009 and since then, most professors have been purposely combating the inflation. The level of competition at UNC is not the same as UNCW. Nor is it the same at Harvard. Each must be considered in context. They really should consider class rank, rather than GPA, that way it would be easy to differentiate being top 20% from UNC, or 20% from Stanford or top 20% from App. Its the system of GPA evaluation that I have a problem with, UNC vs. UNCW was just an example, I've never attended class at UNCW

Adding on the GPA context discussion. I have an engineering degree from a really tough school and the highest GPA in my department when I graduated was 3.74. I was 3rd in my class w/ a 3.54. The number itself looks pretty mediocre on TLS, but I woked my butt off for 4 years for that number. It was just not possible to graduate with a 4.0 --- or even a 3.75.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”