UNC 2011 Applicants

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
boom_cs

Re: UNC 2011 Applicants

Postby boom_cs » Thu Mar 31, 2011 10:58 am

Also Does UNC send an email when the status changes to accepted.

skw

Postby skw » Thu Mar 31, 2011 11:32 am

I got an email shortly after my status changed to accepted -- maybe a 5 or 10 minute lag.

pokerlaw

Postby pokerlaw » Thu Mar 31, 2011 11:58 am

Preparing a seat deposit for another school.

UNC, please come through tonight to save me some money.

fuzzman

Postby fuzzman » Thu Mar 31, 2011 12:27 pm

Been "ready for review" since december....

Stonewall

Postby Stonewall » Thu Mar 31, 2011 12:35 pm

fuzzman wrote:Been "ready for review" since december....

didn't they create the status checker in January?

pokerlaw

Postby pokerlaw » Thu Mar 31, 2011 12:38 pm

Stonewall wrote:
fuzzman wrote:Been "ready for review" since december....

didn't they create the status checker in January?

No. Got my status checker in December.

Capitalist

Postby Capitalist » Thu Mar 31, 2011 12:41 pm

pokerlaw, I'm a big fan of your avatar. Hopefully we'll get to see the Falcon for one more year.

beccabea

Postby beccabea » Thu Mar 31, 2011 12:43 pm

Last edited by beccabea on Tue Apr 05, 2011 2:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bom325

Postby bom325 » Thu Mar 31, 2011 12:49 pm

For those of you still waiting to hear decisions, this is what I've received from Ms. Kott today (I emailed her last night.)

Dear ****:

Thank you for your interest in the University of North Carolina School of Law at Chapel Hill.

We recognize and realize, you and half of our applicant pool have yet to hear decisions. I also know how frustrating this process can be. I truly do. Regardless of when the applicant applied, there is and was no guarantee that a decision would be rendered immediately. Also, our applicant pool holds numbers close to 3,000 and that while applicants are accepted for different reasons, admissions is competitive. It takes us a tremendous amount of time to review files. Those applicants that are more competitive than others will be reviewed first with the first round of decisions completed by April 1st. All other applicants will hear decisions by May 1st, 2011. Try not to become too obsessed with checking the status of your file (I know it’s hard not to). You are correct, your application has not been reviewed yet.

So while I know your patience is wearing thin, I do ask you to kindly hold out for another month or so. Certainly if you are holding any acceptances to other law schools, I will highly advise and encourage you to place at least a seat deposit down as I would hate for you to miss out on that opportunity especially if it involves a scholarship. I can tell at this point, we have only offered 260 acceptances and have another 140 (give or take) to award this first round. We still have plenty of decisions to make and plenty of files still to review. Of course, you do know that you are welcome at any time to check in with me to see where we are in the processing of getting decisions out. I’ll tell you as much as I know.

Best,

beccabea

Postby beccabea » Thu Mar 31, 2011 1:13 pm

Last edited by beccabea on Tue Apr 05, 2011 2:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

hurricane10

Postby hurricane10 » Thu Mar 31, 2011 1:14 pm

bom325 wrote:For those of you still waiting to hear decisions, this is what I've received from Ms. Kott today (I emailed her last night.)

Dear ****:

Thank you for your interest in the University of North Carolina School of Law at Chapel Hill.

We recognize and realize, you and half of our applicant pool have yet to hear decisions. I also know how frustrating this process can be. I truly do. Regardless of when the applicant applied, there is and was no guarantee that a decision would be rendered immediately. Also, our applicant pool holds numbers close to 3,000 and that while applicants are accepted for different reasons, admissions is competitive. It takes us a tremendous amount of time to review files. Those applicants that are more competitive than others will be reviewed first with the first round of decisions completed by April 1st. All other applicants will hear decisions by May 1st, 2011. Try not to become too obsessed with checking the status of your file (I know it’s hard not to). You are correct, your application has not been reviewed yet.

So while I know your patience is wearing thin, I do ask you to kindly hold out for another month or so. Certainly if you are holding any acceptances to other law schools, I will highly advise and encourage you to place at least a seat deposit down as I would hate for you to miss out on that opportunity especially if it involves a scholarship. I can tell at this point, we have only offered 260 acceptances and have another 140 (give or take) to award this first round. We still have plenty of decisions to make and plenty of files still to review. Of course, you do know that you are welcome at any time to check in with me to see where we are in the processing of getting decisions out. I’ll tell you as much as I know.

Best,

What I don't understand is that every other school can read and review applications in a timely fashion yet UNC continues to disregard their admissions process in terms of what other schools require (April 1 deposit deadlines for most schools). I guess to them, wasting a couple hundred dollars for a seat deposit to another school isn't a big deal but for poor or soon-to-be poor law students, it is a big deal. The fact that my application has been sitting on a desk somewhere for close to six months without being touched pisses me off actually and their attitude about their overall admissions process is regrettable.

scruffs mcguff

Postby scruffs mcguff » Thu Mar 31, 2011 2:25 pm

beccabea wrote:Unless Zeus swoops out of the sky and knocks my hand out of the way when I try to push the "Pay Now" button, yes.

You?

It's down to 3. One of which is UNC. I got a nice scholarship offer with this past round (in-state) so UNC is tough to beat financially but still not completely decided.

On a different note, I've started withdrawing from schools and one just replied asking me what school I am attending. Is this normal? I know I don't have to tell them but what should I say? And honestly it's still between 3 schools as I mentioned so I don't know if I should say that.

DeeCee

Postby DeeCee » Thu Mar 31, 2011 2:45 pm

scruffs mcguff wrote:
beccabea wrote:Unless Zeus swoops out of the sky and knocks my hand out of the way when I try to push the "Pay Now" button, yes.

You?

It's down to 3. One of which is UNC. I got a nice scholarship offer with this past round (in-state) so UNC is tough to beat financially but still not completely decided.

On a different note, I've started withdrawing from schools and one just replied asking me what school I am attending. Is this normal? I know I don't have to tell them but what should I say? And honestly it's still between 3 schools as I mentioned so I don't know if I should say that.

Yes this is normal, esp. if they offered you money. Just tell them although your decision is not finalized, you anticipate attending UNC (or whichever school). I have said this to multiple schools and they are all good with it.

DeeCee

Postby DeeCee » Thu Mar 31, 2011 2:48 pm

FYI, not sure if it's been posted here but it's official: If you did not receive a scholarship offer, you will not be considered for one again after the April 15/May 1 deadlines, when deposits are paid and the law school has an idea of who is accepting/declining scholarship $$. Got this straight from the horse's mouth, though I would like to preserve my (relative) anonymity on here so I'm not willing to give out all the details of the conversation.

ETA: In light of this, I have now paid my deposit, and I'll see you guys April 8th!

scruffs mcguff

Postby scruffs mcguff » Thu Mar 31, 2011 3:06 pm

DeeCee wrote:Yes this is normal, esp. if they offered you money. Just tell them although your decision is not finalized, you anticipate attending UNC (or whichever school). I have said this to multiple schools and they are all good with it.

Thanks for the response. I'll be there on the 8th as well.

Moral_Midgetry

Postby Moral_Midgetry » Thu Mar 31, 2011 3:12 pm

Registered for the April 15th ASD.

I had originally planned on attending the April 8th ASD but I have a work conflict. I'm a little disappointed I won't get to meet some of you regulars until August. Any other April 15thers?

avonbarksdale

Postby avonbarksdale » Thu Mar 31, 2011 3:17 pm

I have to say I have been extremely put off by this admissions process as well. I find it especially disconcerting that they suggest that they have not even reviewed our files yet. I know other UNC alumni with GPA and LSAT above the median and none of us have heard back, yet I have seen people with lower GPAs and lower LSATs who were accepted and even interviewed for scholarships. If they have not even reviewed our files and read our statements, what criteria are they using!? How is it that comparable schools like Wake Forest, Georgia, etc. were able to review files our files and accept in less than a week but UNC is the only school I am still waiting from. I do not understand it. As much as I love UNC, I'm alumnus, I do not think I will be attending UNC for law school, regardless of when I hear back. This has just put such an awful perception of UNC law in my head, I almost feel like accepting admission to UNC would be reinforcing this false perception of UNC law superiority and that they can treat applicants however they deem fit and suffer no consequences.

sUkNoIrzTforEall

Postby sUkNoIrzTforEall » Thu Mar 31, 2011 3:23 pm

On that note, I spoke with the office, and the first round of admits (April 1) is over, apparently.

It is likely true that they still have 140 spaces left before they start WL/rejecting, but no new admits till next week, I was told.

DeeCee

Postby DeeCee » Thu Mar 31, 2011 3:31 pm

avonbarksdale--not trying to be an ass here-- but if you end up not attending for this reason, you should call admissions or write them a letter and let them know why you will not be attending. They are big on their alumni and they would probably appreciate hearing this from a possible alumni donor. Perhaps they will begin to change their system if people vocalize this.

I guess I'm going to migrate over to the Class of 2014 thread, since I've been accepted, and this thread has become the place to agonize over lack of decisions. Hopefully some admits can join me over there?
Last edited by DeeCee on Thu Mar 31, 2011 3:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

DeeCee

Postby DeeCee » Thu Mar 31, 2011 3:33 pm

Moral_Midgetry wrote:Registered for the April 15th ASD.

I had originally planned on attending the April 8th ASD but I have a work conflict. I'm a little disappointed I won't get to meet some of you regulars until August. Any other April 15thers?

This is BS. You were supposed to come to the April 8th one!! What kind of law student are you if you have those things called "Work Conflicts"?? :lol: :P

Capitalist

Postby Capitalist » Thu Mar 31, 2011 3:34 pm

sUkNoIrzTforEall wrote:On that note, I spoke with the office, and the first round of admits (April 1) is over, apparently.

It is likely true that they still have 140 spaces left before they start WL/rejecting, but no new admits till next week, I was told.

Shit. :(

DeeCee

Postby DeeCee » Thu Mar 31, 2011 3:35 pm

Capitalist wrote:
sUkNoIrzTforEall wrote:On that note, I spoke with the office, and the first round of admits (April 1) is over, apparently.

I'm with you here.

tarheel125

Postby tarheel125 » Thu Mar 31, 2011 3:35 pm

:arrow:
Last edited by tarheel125 on Thu Mar 31, 2011 4:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

DeeCee

Postby DeeCee » Thu Mar 31, 2011 3:37 pm

tarheel125 wrote:They have already started waitlisting people.

you know this from a friend, or from firsthand experience :?: :(

pokerlaw

Postby pokerlaw » Thu Mar 31, 2011 3:38 pm

Capitalist wrote:

:(

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”