UNC 2011 Applicants

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
Jeffro

Re: UNC 2011 Applicants

Postby Jeffro » Wed Mar 30, 2011 8:29 pm

timduncanformvp wrote:Another round is coming out tonight. I got mine about an hour ago.
Scholarship or acceptance?

Capitalist

Postby Capitalist » Wed Mar 30, 2011 8:35 pm

timduncanformvp wrote:Another round is coming out tonight. I got mine about an hour ago.

Did you go straight from complete to accepted, or did you go under review first?

Thanks.

timduncanformvp

Postby timduncanformvp » Wed Mar 30, 2011 9:06 pm

Capitalist wrote:

Did you go straight from complete to accepted, or did you go under review first?

Thanks.

Straight to accepted.

Capitalist

Postby Capitalist » Wed Mar 30, 2011 9:20 pm

timduncanformvp wrote:
Capitalist wrote:

Thanks.

Straight to accepted.

Thanks, timduncan. Did you receive an email after you were accepted?

beccabea

Postby beccabea » Wed Mar 30, 2011 9:29 pm

Last edited by beccabea on Tue Apr 05, 2011 2:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

sUkNoIrzTforEall

Postby sUkNoIrzTforEall » Wed Mar 30, 2011 9:46 pm

Not a "regular" (or irregular) but I've been complete since 1/19 and have been following this thread closely for over a month. Eagerly anticipating the end of the agony...

jb11

Postby jb11 » Wed Mar 30, 2011 9:59 pm

Complete since early Feb. No word yet, but I'm pretty sure I'm going to go insane if I don't hear by Friday..

beccabea

Postby beccabea » Wed Mar 30, 2011 10:15 pm

Moral_Midgetry

Postby Moral_Midgetry » Wed Mar 30, 2011 10:20 pm

beccabea wrote:This might sound stupid, but how do I withdraw from a school? I need to go ahead and do that tomorrow for the schools I'm not attending. Do I just email the admissions office and say I'm withdrawing my application?

Pretty much. I added a 'thanks for the scholly' if I got one.

beccabea

Postby beccabea » Wed Mar 30, 2011 10:26 pm

Jeffro

Postby Jeffro » Wed Mar 30, 2011 11:38 pm

I'm assuming this is true, but I have no confirmation other than what I was told in another forum.

Schools can view your seat deposits at other schools via LSAC, using that information as they see fit it seems. This casts a whole 'nother light on the late admissions decisions. If I pay a deposit to keep my seat open while waiting for UNC, what does that do to my admissions chances? Or if I'm looking at several schools other than UNC, if I pay deposits at them while awaiting some sort of decision from UNC, what happens if my alternates get pissed that I've paid competing deposits and then I never even get into UNC anyway? That's risking losing scholarship negotiation leverage with the other schools at the least. This whole waiting game is causing way more problems than it possibly should.

Jeffro

Postby Jeffro » Thu Mar 31, 2011 12:01 am

It's also crazy that I just withdrew via email from Alabama - what I would consider a peer school that I applied to just over one month prior to UNC, at which I'm an out of state applicant, and that I was accepted to with a very generous scholarship about one and half months after applying. The dean of the law school called me directly to invite me to visit. My fiancee and I were flown down for an ASW, put up in a hotel and provided an Alabama Law welcome bag at check in, offered a shuttle to all events, and much more (read: they paid for and setup everything). Beyond the pampering, it was a great opportunity to really get to know the place. I emailed back and forth with their Dean of Admissions, regarding scholarship negotiations and another issue, to the point that she called me directly to explain steps I should take and made sure my issue was resolved. They made it very clear that they wanted to be there for applicants. Just a few hours ago I emailed her a genuine notice of withdrawal and explained my reasoning for needing to do so, because they had been so amazing over the past few months. She responded about an hour later at about 10pm.

Compare that to UNC, my in-state flagship law school. I apply and get no response forever. Almost two months later, I receive a generic email confirming my file is complete on the same day as many others. At some point a status checker came into play, but it has been sitting at complete forever. There is even a nice paragraph at the top of it that basically says, "we are very busy making admissions decisions so don't bother us." We all know what that has meant. I have had mixed success with calling the office, ranging from a brushoff to a sympathetic acknowledgement that making applicants wait until April 1 is shitty.

Just my fifty cents, take it as you will.

JDCsoccer7

Postby JDCsoccer7 » Thu Mar 31, 2011 12:16 am

Paid my deposit and will be at the April 8th ASD!!
Think they are done with scholarship offers or are there still some more coming?

innernetp

Postby innernetp » Thu Mar 31, 2011 12:22 am

Jeffro wrote:It's also crazy that I just withdrew via email from Alabama - what I would consider a peer school that I applied to just over one month prior to UNC, at which I'm an out of state applicant, and that I was accepted to with a very generous scholarship about one and half months after applying. The dean of the law school called me directly to invite me to visit. My fiancee and I were flown down for an ASW, put up in a hotel and provided an Alabama Law welcome bag at check in, offered a shuttle to all events, and much more (read: they paid for and setup everything). Beyond the pampering, it was a great opportunity to really get to know the place. I emailed back and forth with their Dean of Admissions, regarding scholarship negotiations and another issue, to the point that she called me directly to explain steps I should take and made sure my issue was resolved. They made it very clear that they wanted to be there for applicants. Just a few hours ago I emailed her a genuine notice of withdrawal and explained my reasoning for needing to do so, because they had been so amazing over the past few months. She responded about an hour later at about 10pm.

Compare that to UNC, my in-state flagship law school. I apply and get no response forever. Almost two months later, I receive a generic email confirming my file is complete on the same day as many others. At some point a status checker came into play, but it has been sitting at complete forever. There is even a nice paragraph at the top of it that basically says, "we are very busy making admissions decisions so don't bother us." We all know what that has meant. I have had mixed success with calling the office, ranging from a brushoff to a sympathetic acknowledgement that making applicants wait until April 1 is shitty.

I'm sorry, Jeffro. :-( I totally understand where you're coming from with another school, but I remind myself that I'll never deal with admissions again. But that is kind of a BS thing to console myself with because I feel like someone is in charge of admissions and if admissions doesn't care then what's the deal.

zdayar

Postby zdayar » Thu Mar 31, 2011 12:54 am

Jeffro wrote:It's also crazy that I just withdrew via email from Alabama - what I would consider a peer school that I applied to just over one month prior to UNC, at which I'm an out of state applicant, and that I was accepted to with a very generous scholarship about one and half months after applying. The dean of the law school called me directly to invite me to visit. My fiancee and I were flown down for an ASW, put up in a hotel and provided an Alabama Law welcome bag at check in, offered a shuttle to all events, and much more (read: they paid for and setup everything). Beyond the pampering, it was a great opportunity to really get to know the place. I emailed back and forth with their Dean of Admissions, regarding scholarship negotiations and another issue, to the point that she called me directly to explain steps I should take and made sure my issue was resolved. They made it very clear that they wanted to be there for applicants. Just a few hours ago I emailed her a genuine notice of withdrawal and explained my reasoning for needing to do so, because they had been so amazing over the past few months. She responded about an hour later at about 10pm.

Why did you withdraw from Alabama?

CooleyReject

Postby CooleyReject » Thu Mar 31, 2011 1:01 am

innernetp wrote:

I'm sorry, Jeffro. :-( I totally understand where you're coming from with another school, but I remind myself that I'll never deal with admissions again. But that is kind of a BS thing to console myself with because I feel like someone is in charge of admissions and if admissions doesn't care then what's the deal.

+1

UNC probably has the worst admissions department (i.e. least outgoing and least personal) of the schools that I applied to. Also, I wholeheartedly agree with Jeffro's sentiments regarding Alabama, and while I would like to believe my opinion of the admissions department shouldn't matter, it does establish a certain impression of the school as a whole--either negative or positive.

beccabea

Postby beccabea » Thu Mar 31, 2011 1:54 am

Last edited by beccabea on Tue Apr 05, 2011 2:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

DeeCee

Postby DeeCee » Thu Mar 31, 2011 2:01 am

Bored and tired-- ready for a possible scholarship email, too. I'm just ready for the admissions season to be over (as I'm sure most schools are, too). Ready to focus on the move, and ready to wrap up my current degree.

innernetp

Postby innernetp » Thu Mar 31, 2011 8:19 am

beccabea wrote:The whole admissions department isn't bad. Dean States cares a lot. Unfortunately, he's not the one who answers the phones, but based on my handful of experiences with him I think that anyone who spoke with him would come out with a different opinion. He's a little hard to get a hold of at this time of the year, but if you want to feel wanted, leave a message on his voicemail and he'll call you back. I know it's easy to let your whole view of a school be influenced by your experiences with the admissions team, but I'm not just pulling this advice out of my ass when I say that when you're a student it doesn't matter what the admissions team is like. Taken from the "UNC 1L taking questions" board:

IhateFoxHunting wrote:As for the ASD. I left the ASD with a negative impression of UNC. Mainly the building was old, I didn't feel as if UNC put on as good a show as other schools, and I felt like diversity was being crammed down my throat. I left the ASD fairly positive I would not attend UNC.

As the deposit deadline drew closer my attitude started to change. I didn't want to pay a lot more money to attend a peer school just because they had a better building. I would never have to deal with the cruddy (as in slow, they don't court you, and are fairly blunt with their conversations) UNC admissions again, so I took that off the table in my decision process as well; luckily that was true. I have seen the dean of admissions a couple of times in passing, but they have no effect on me. Diversity, UNC follows what it preaches plain and simple. Rather than use what little scholarship money they have to game the system, it appears they pour the bulk of their money into recruiting a diverse class.

Somehow with a cruddy building, a not so cordial admissions team and with very little scholarship money (granted tuition is cheap) they are able to not only be a US News top 30 school, but the legal reputation of UNC is up there with Vanderbilt. I can only imagine what rank UNC would be capable of if they did try to play the ranking game.

I agree. Dean States is fantastic... and honestly all of my interactions with everyone have been very positive. But I recognize that that's not the case for everyone.

Jeffro

Postby Jeffro » Thu Mar 31, 2011 8:40 am

innernetp wrote:I'm sorry, Jeffro. :-( I totally understand where you're coming from with another school, but I remind myself that I'll never deal with admissions again. But that is kind of a BS thing to console myself with because I feel like someone is in charge of admissions and if admissions doesn't care then what's the deal.
Thanks innernetp. I try to remind myself of that as well, but it is does raise a lot of questions.

zdayar wrote:Why did you withdraw from Alabama?
Although Alabama is a great school, I visited WUSTL and flat out loved it. It is also a better situation for my fiancee as far as work is concerned. The case is the same for IU-Bloomington, although WUSTL has a huge focus on litigation which just so happens to be what I really want to do. The only thing that would keep me from going to one of those schools is UNC. I have veterans benefits and have been offered scholarships everywhere thus far, so the COA is irrelevant for any of the schools mentioned - I realize that might sound crazy to some, but it has let the cost aspect not be a factor for me. I want to be in NC, so if accepted I would be willing to walk away from my other offers.

jmm736

Postby jmm736 » Thu Mar 31, 2011 8:59 am

JDCsoccer7 wrote:Paid my deposit and will be at the April 8th ASD!!
Think they are done with scholarship offers or are there still some more coming?

DeeCee wrote:Bored and tired-- ready for a possible scholarship email, too. I'm just ready for the admissions season to be over (as I'm sure most schools are, too). Ready to focus on the move, and ready to wrap up my current degree.

I also paid my deposit, but will be attending the April 15th ASD. On the scholarhship front, I emailed Dean States directly yesterday, and he replied back saying "We will make another round of scholarship offers after our seat deposit deadline."

JDCsoccer7

Postby JDCsoccer7 » Thu Mar 31, 2011 9:13 am

NICE! I'm OOS so any money would be huge.

beccabea

Postby beccabea » Thu Mar 31, 2011 10:12 am

Last edited by beccabea on Tue Apr 05, 2011 2:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

boom_cs

Postby boom_cs » Thu Mar 31, 2011 10:23 am

Anyone heard back today?

Let me in UNC

scruffs mcguff

Postby scruffs mcguff » Thu Mar 31, 2011 10:24 am

beccabea wrote:Really? That's weird. I thought the idea of scholarships was to get people to decide to go there. Most likely paying my seat deposit today!! (scary.)

Are you definitely attending UNC?

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”