UNC 2011 Applicants

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
beccabea

Re: UNC 2011 Applicants

Postby beccabea » Tue Mar 29, 2011 1:06 pm

Last edited by beccabea on Tue Apr 05, 2011 2:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

peachesncream

Postby peachesncream » Tue Mar 29, 2011 1:25 pm

Hi Beccabea,

I went through a similar wake vs. unc situation and will PM you my thoughts.

labballin24

Postby labballin24 » Tue Mar 29, 2011 1:30 pm

beccabea wrote:
labballin24 wrote:I called the admissions office today, and I'm happy to say that I will be attending UNC in the fall!

He told me that he was currently working on getting the e-mails for the scholarship offers out by the end of the day. So the rest of you should be hearing back very soon.

Eeee, that's exciting!! :D

Just out of curiosity, I see on your profile that you got a full ride to Wake. What makes you choose Carolina over them? I just hear a lot of insistence (mostly from Wake's side, naturally) that the two schools have equal reputations. I'm not considering changing my mind last minute or anything, but I didn't even visit Wake (long way to drive from VA) and as the deadlines approach, I'm having some of those last minute Holy-crap-I-have-to-decide-like-right-now qualms, and I'd just like to get some other people's thoughts on the subject. I don't know exactly what state I'll be working in after school, but I'll almost definitely be in the southeast.

PM'd.

In the lamest of terms, it just feels right, but there are other factors as well.

protein

Postby protein » Tue Mar 29, 2011 1:33 pm

labballin24 wrote:I called the admissions office today, and I'm happy to say that I will be attending UNC in the fall!

He told me that he was currently working on getting the e-mails for the scholarship offers out by the end of the day. So the rest of you should be hearing back very soon.

exciting news, thanks!!

Moral_Midgetry

Postby Moral_Midgetry » Tue Mar 29, 2011 1:46 pm

protein wrote:

exciting news, thanks!!

+1

IBThatGuy

Postby IBThatGuy » Tue Mar 29, 2011 1:49 pm

beccabea wrote:Just out of curiosity, I see on your profile that you got a full ride to Wake. What makes you choose Carolina over them? I just hear a lot of insistence (mostly from Wake's side, naturally) that the two schools have equal reputations. I'm not considering changing my mind last minute or anything, but I didn't even visit Wake (long way to drive from VA) and as the deadlines approach, I'm having some of those last minute Holy-crap-I-have-to-decide-like-right-now qualms, and I'd just like to get some other people's thoughts on the subject. I don't know exactly what state I'll be working in after school, but I'll almost definitely be in the southeast.

I am not a lawyer, and I have never been involved in the process of hiring a lawyer for any firm or group. I trust the same holds for most of the people who frequent this forum. Anything we say regarding employment prospects should be taken with a shaker of salt.

That said: Where hirability within North Carolina is concerned, I suspect the two are on pretty equal footing. Regionally, I'm guessing UNC has the advantage, and they're probably comparable at the national level (remember, reported numbers are for jobs taken, I believe, rather than jobs offered). Greater lay prestige probably goes to UNC, but I don't see that as having tremendous value; especially in a weaker job market, what you want is professional prestige, and lawyers know Wake Forest.

One could look to the USNWR rankings. The rankings have some stuff going for them (thoughtful systematization of meaningful considerations) and some serious problems (questionable prioritizing, the well-known presence of data-fudging, the tendency for readers to get caught up in overall number, rather than factors behind the rankings, etc.). UNC is currently at 30, and Wake is at 39. Whether one is better - in general or for any given person - the two are certainly peer institutions.

Edit: Just realized I lost site of your actual phrasing, which is "equal reputations." I would say that UNC has the better name recognition, but Wake Forest has an exceptional reputation among those familiar with it. Also, its status as a private university lends it an extra pinch of prestige. Among lawyers, I'll simply stand by my assessment of the two as being peer institutions.

PDL

Postby PDL » Tue Mar 29, 2011 2:53 pm

Last edited by PDL on Sat Apr 26, 2014 8:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

beccabea

Postby beccabea » Tue Mar 29, 2011 3:02 pm

Last edited by beccabea on Tue Apr 05, 2011 2:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PDL

Postby PDL » Tue Mar 29, 2011 3:17 pm

labballin24

Postby labballin24 » Tue Mar 29, 2011 3:19 pm

PDL wrote:Even the regular (non-Chancellors) scholarships?

I'm pretty sure Dean States told me that you only have to remain in good standing. Then he explained that "good standing" is needed to make it to the next year anyway. So I guess that the only stipulations are that you don't flunk out or get into serious trouble with the law.
Last edited by labballin24 on Tue Mar 29, 2011 3:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

protein

Postby protein » Tue Mar 29, 2011 3:24 pm

keep us updated on those scholly offers, guys! :D

beccabea

Postby beccabea » Tue Mar 29, 2011 3:37 pm

labballin24 wrote:
PDL wrote:Even the regular (non-Chancellors) scholarships?

I'm pretty sure Dean States told me that you only have to remain in good standing. Then he explained that "good standing" is needed to make it to the next year anyway. So I guess that the only stipulations are that you don't flunk out or get into serious trouble with the law.

AD: "In terms of the partial and full scholarships, does UNC place any conditions on those? Does an applicant have to maintain a certain GPA or else risk losing their scholarship?"
MS: "No. Although some schools may do that, we do not. If you are awarded a scholarship, you can count on that scholarship being there all three years so long as you remain in academic and behavioral good standing at UNC."

Again, from http://www.admissionsdean.com/researchi ... terview/22

CloseToGood

Postby CloseToGood » Tue Mar 29, 2011 3:49 pm

The scholy email I got mentioned something about maintaining at least a gpa in the low 2.x range. Probably more of a reference to staying in 'general' good academic standing than anything else.

PDL

Postby PDL » Tue Mar 29, 2011 3:50 pm

skw

Postby skw » Tue Mar 29, 2011 5:11 pm

Has anyone successfully paid their deposit online? I had an old UNC Onyen from a course I took post-graduate a couple years back. I spent about an hour today jumping through hoops to have the password reset (had to FAX??!!? a copy of my driver's license and passport to UNC IT -- once I got past the documentation, they were great and very fast, but it was a pain getting to that point). Now that I can log in with my Onyen, the admitted students 'pay seat deposit' link tells me I'm not eligible to pay my deposit at this time, even though I've been accepted. I'm wondering if anyone else has had a similar experience? Possibly they're just working out the kinks in the new system.

YouDontKnowMe

Postby YouDontKnowMe » Tue Mar 29, 2011 5:15 pm

What has been the experience of people who have called the admissions office with questions? I called last week with a few admissions questions and got a really rude response. And do y'all think there's anything we can do about this? I've seen several comments on it so far on here and where somebody said Jennifer Kott made an angry phone call to him and that admissions reads this board. So they know we think they're rude. Why do they continue being rude? Do we need to contact someone at the very top of the food chain to give the people who answer the phones a firm talking-to? If they keep doing it, they're going to give other people the same bad taste about UNC they gave me.

DeadLaw

Postby DeadLaw » Tue Mar 29, 2011 5:17 pm

skw wrote:Has anyone successfully paid their deposit online? I had an old UNC Onyen from a course I took post-graduate a couple years back. I spent about an hour today jumping through hoops to have the password reset (had to FAX??!!? a copy of my driver's license and passport to UNC IT -- once I got past the documentation, they were great and very fast, but it was a pain getting to that point). Now that I can log in with my Onyen, the admitted students 'pay seat deposit' link tells me I'm not eligible to pay my deposit at this time, even though I've been accepted. I'm wondering if anyone else has had a similar experience? Possibly they're just working out the kinks in the new system.

I emailed admissions about this, and they said that they are having problems with the system as this is the first time they had used it, and asked that we just check periodically over the next few days, as they hoped to have it fixed.

They did say they preferred that students pay via the website instead of by check.

skw

Postby skw » Tue Mar 29, 2011 5:25 pm

Excellent, thanks :D

lvsmithmarsh

Postby lvsmithmarsh » Tue Mar 29, 2011 5:54 pm

skw wrote:Has anyone successfully paid their deposit online? I had an old UNC Onyen from a course I took post-graduate a couple years back. I spent about an hour today jumping through hoops to have the password reset (had to FAX??!!? a copy of my driver's license and passport to UNC IT -- once I got past the documentation, they were great and very fast, but it was a pain getting to that point). Now that I can log in with my Onyen, the admitted students 'pay seat deposit' link tells me I'm not eligible to pay my deposit at this time, even though I've been accepted. I'm wondering if anyone else has had a similar experience? Possibly they're just working out the kinks in the new system.

I paid my deposit on Sunday and had no problems. I've never had a UNC password, though, so I was starting fresh.

For those with the scholarship question, I was told the only stipulations are to stay in good standing, but the email I received indicated a GPA of 2.3 or something. Which is basically like "good standing," in my opinion.

I'm excited for all you new admits! 2014 is going to be a great class...

protein

Postby protein » Tue Mar 29, 2011 6:33 pm

anyone else anxiously refreshing their email for scholly info? :D

Stonewall

Postby Stonewall » Tue Mar 29, 2011 6:35 pm

Still nothing...

protein

Postby protein » Tue Mar 29, 2011 7:19 pm

same here

skw

Postby skw » Tue Mar 29, 2011 7:20 pm

I just tried again to pay my seat deposit and it went through with no problems. Looks like they've worked out the bugs. I'll be at ASD on the 8th -- I look forward to meeting some or you there.

protein

Postby protein » Tue Mar 29, 2011 10:13 pm

looks like there are no scholly offers tonight :(

Moral_Midgetry

Postby Moral_Midgetry » Tue Mar 29, 2011 11:01 pm

protein wrote:anyone else anxiously refreshing their email for scholly info? :D

All day, to no avail. Hopefully tomorrow!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”