UNC 2011 Applicants

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
User avatar
zdayar
Posts: 38
Joined: Thu Jun 17, 2010 9:37 pm

Re: UNC 2011 Applicants

Postby zdayar » Tue Mar 29, 2011 12:48 am

DeeCee wrote:
zdayar wrote:
DeeCee wrote:It really makes me wonder how they chose to review my file early. Was I special, or was I somehow on the top of the stack??
hoping I was special


Special :-)


Yay!!

In all seriousness though, I put in my app after Christmas, and got a decision in the very beginning of Feb. And they certainly didn't pick my app because of a stellar LSAT. This is why I wonder what their system/philosophy is for picking apps for review. Do they do only in-state first? Are you in-state?


Yup, I'm in-state. I really don't know how they decide which apps to review first. They must have an approach they use to decide which applicants are more competitive than others which goes beyond LSAT scores and GPAs only.

protein
Posts: 228
Joined: Thu Mar 10, 2011 3:44 am

Re: UNC 2011 Applicants

Postby protein » Tue Mar 29, 2011 1:00 am

I am also in-state, went into review around 2/15 and got a decision last week

I'm a splitter with a high LSAT

timduncanformvp
Posts: 23
Joined: Sun Oct 24, 2010 11:26 am

Re: UNC 2011 Applicants

Postby timduncanformvp » Tue Mar 29, 2011 1:57 am

I'm in-state with a high LSAT and submitted the first day apps opened. Still crickets here though....

beccabea
Posts: 224
Joined: Wed Jan 05, 2011 3:08 pm

Re: UNC 2011 Applicants

Postby beccabea » Tue Mar 29, 2011 2:03 am

.
Last edited by beccabea on Tue Apr 05, 2011 2:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
firecracker
Posts: 67
Joined: Tue Sep 28, 2010 4:14 pm

Re: UNC 2011 Applicants

Postby firecracker » Tue Mar 29, 2011 8:19 am

I'm in-state (and applied before Thanksgiving) and am still waiting (to hear good news). :mrgreen:

Jeffro
Posts: 163
Joined: Wed Nov 24, 2010 11:41 pm

Re: UNC 2011 Applicants

Postby Jeffro » Tue Mar 29, 2011 8:32 am

timduncanformvp wrote:I'm in-state with a high LSAT and submitted the first day apps opened. Still crickets here though....
Similar situation. In-state, high LSAT splitter, several years of work experience, law school alumni letter of recommendation, family connections to UNC. Submitted on day three...nothing since.

GentlemanJim
Posts: 233
Joined: Mon Nov 23, 2009 12:59 pm

Re: UNC 2011 Applicants

Postby GentlemanJim » Tue Mar 29, 2011 8:40 am

I also applied around day 1 or so, but unfortunately I'm out of state. Guess I'm SOL.

This is so grueling.

PDL
Posts: 116
Joined: Tue Nov 09, 2010 9:22 am

Re: UNC 2011 Applicants

Postby PDL » Tue Mar 29, 2011 8:51 am

.
Last edited by PDL on Sat Apr 26, 2014 8:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

IBThatGuy
Posts: 84
Joined: Wed Oct 21, 2009 8:44 pm

Re: UNC 2011 Applicants

Postby IBThatGuy » Tue Mar 29, 2011 9:56 am

I really feel for those of you that got your applications in early in the cycle. I didn't get mine in as early as I would've liked, and it's rough for me.

Maybe they wait for responses, as if everyone not yet contacted is on a waiting list of sorts. That way, after extending 250 so offers, and getting some responses from those applicants, they can see what sort of profiles they're looking to admit. Just brainstorming.

User avatar
DeeCee
Posts: 1352
Joined: Mon Nov 15, 2010 4:09 am

Re: UNC 2011 Applicants

Postby DeeCee » Tue Mar 29, 2011 11:01 am

IBThatGuy wrote:I really feel for those of you that got your applications in early in the cycle. I didn't get mine in as early as I would've liked, and it's rough for me.

Maybe they wait for responses, as if everyone not yet contacted is on a waiting list of sorts. That way, after extending 250 so offers, and getting some responses from those applicants, they can see what sort of profiles they're looking to admit. Just brainstorming.


If they only give out say, 400 offers total, that means they WL/reject the other approx 2500??
That seems like crazy odds. I'll bet 1/4 of the class is on TLS, especially since I haven't met a single person on here that's been WL or rejected yet!

Good luck to everyone :!: Those high LSATs should be working to your advantage right about now :D .

User avatar
kwais
Posts: 1683
Joined: Tue May 11, 2010 12:28 pm

Re: UNC 2011 Applicants

Postby kwais » Tue Mar 29, 2011 11:05 am

IBThatGuy wrote:I really feel for those of you that got your applications in early in the cycle. I didn't get mine in as early as I would've liked, and it's rough for me.

Maybe they wait for responses, as if everyone not yet contacted is on a waiting list of sorts. That way, after extending 250 so offers, and getting some responses from those applicants, they can see what sort of profiles they're looking to admit. Just brainstorming.


If indeed this is what they are doing, I see this as slightly unethical. Every school would like to raise their yield, but most move decisions along in a timely manner out of respect for all involved. I have been ready for review since mid-November and since that time, my interest had decreased to almost nil. Not because I got into "better" schools, but because everything about this school's admission process seems to cry of unprofessionalism.

jmm736
Posts: 14
Joined: Sun Oct 24, 2010 8:14 pm

Re: UNC 2011 Applicants

Postby jmm736 » Tue Mar 29, 2011 11:06 am

Just to add some data for "analysis", here is my info:

LSAT: Between Median and 75%*
GPA: > 75%*
Residency: In-state
Submitted: October
Accepted: Before Christmas

*According to stats currently available at LSAC.org

User avatar
DubPoker
Posts: 211
Joined: Wed May 06, 2009 4:13 pm

Re: UNC 2011 Applicants

Postby DubPoker » Tue Mar 29, 2011 11:10 am

DeeCee wrote:
IBThatGuy wrote:I really feel for those of you that got your applications in early in the cycle. I didn't get mine in as early as I would've liked, and it's rough for me.

Maybe they wait for responses, as if everyone not yet contacted is on a waiting list of sorts. That way, after extending 250 so offers, and getting some responses from those applicants, they can see what sort of profiles they're looking to admit. Just brainstorming.


If they only give out say, 400 offers total, that means they WL/reject the other approx 2500??
That seems like crazy odds. I'll bet 1/4 of the class is on TLS, especially since I haven't met a single person on here that's been WL or rejected yet!

Good luck to everyone :!: Those high LSATs should be working to your advantage right about now :D .


I know a girl who was wait-listed yesterday. Without giving out her numbers I will say she was around one 75% median, and in between the other's 25% and 50% median- she was also instate!

Doesn't make me feel good as a splitter. I'm actually surprised she wasn't admitted outright.

User avatar
DeeCee
Posts: 1352
Joined: Mon Nov 15, 2010 4:09 am

Re: UNC 2011 Applicants

Postby DeeCee » Tue Mar 29, 2011 11:13 am

jmm736 wrote:Just to add some data for "analysis", here is my info:

LSAT: Between Median and 75%*
GPA: > 75%*
Residency: In-state
Submitted: October
Accepted: Before Christmas

*According to stats currently available at LSAC.org


My info:
LSAT: <25% by a few points
GPA: >>75%
Residency: In-state
Very good softs
Submitted: end of Dec
Accepted: first week of Feb

User avatar
DeeCee
Posts: 1352
Joined: Mon Nov 15, 2010 4:09 am

Re: UNC 2011 Applicants

Postby DeeCee » Tue Mar 29, 2011 11:17 am

DubPoker wrote:
I know a girl who was wait-listed yesterday. Without giving out her numbers I will say she was around one 75% median, and in between the other's 25% and 50% median- she was also instate!

Doesn't make me feel good as a splitter. I'm actually surprised she wasn't admitted outright.


Maybe she just didn't have tailored essays? I know UNC is big on answering the specific questions they ask. I spent a very long time on the essays because I knew with my LSAT the essays would make me or break me. I'm not sure how they decide. Maybe it's just a feeling they get from each applicant (and the applicant also should fit into their targets)? I don't know, this is purely my bs speculation at work here.

bsl
Posts: 1
Joined: Tue Mar 29, 2011 11:18 am

Re: UNC 2011 Applicants

Postby bsl » Tue Mar 29, 2011 11:23 am

LSAT-median
GPA-+75%
Self-descibed non-traditional
Excellent LORs
In-state
Work experience
Applied in November
Still ready for review

dddhhh
Posts: 264
Joined: Sat Dec 11, 2010 5:55 pm

Re: UNC 2011 Applicants

Postby dddhhh » Tue Mar 29, 2011 11:25 am

DubPoker wrote:I know a girl who was wait-listed yesterday.


Oh snap! They've unleashed the waitlist. Scary..... :|

User avatar
DubPoker
Posts: 211
Joined: Wed May 06, 2009 4:13 pm

Re: UNC 2011 Applicants

Postby DubPoker » Tue Mar 29, 2011 11:26 am

DeeCee wrote:
DubPoker wrote:
I know a girl who was wait-listed yesterday. Without giving out her numbers I will say she was around one 75% median, and in between the other's 25% and 50% median- she was also instate!

Doesn't make me feel good as a splitter. I'm actually surprised she wasn't admitted outright.


Maybe she just didn't have tailored essays? I know UNC is big on answering the specific questions they ask. I spent a very long time on the essays because I knew with my LSAT the essays would me or break me. I'm not sure how they decide. Maybe it's just a feeling they get from each applicant (and the applicant also should fit into their targets)? I don't know, this is purely my bs speculation at work here.


I didn't see her essays, but she did seem pretty smart. Who knows what goes on at UNC admissions. Do you guys think being one of the first people on the wait list means you are at the front of the line? I find it kind of odd that they haven't finished their admittance wave and they stick what seems to be a very small number of people on the waitlist.

User avatar
DeeCee
Posts: 1352
Joined: Mon Nov 15, 2010 4:09 am

Re: UNC 2011 Applicants

Postby DeeCee » Tue Mar 29, 2011 11:30 am

DubPoker wrote:
DeeCee wrote:
DubPoker wrote:
I know a girl who was wait-listed yesterday. Without giving out her numbers I will say she was around one 75% median, and in between the other's 25% and 50% median- she was also instate!

Doesn't make me feel good as a splitter. I'm actually surprised she wasn't admitted outright.


Maybe she just didn't have tailored essays? I know UNC is big on answering the specific questions they ask. I spent a very long time on the essays because I knew with my LSAT the essays would me or break me. I'm not sure how they decide. Maybe it's just a feeling they get from each applicant (and the applicant also should fit into their targets)? I don't know, this is purely my bs speculation at work here.


I didn't see her essays, but she did seem pretty smart. Who knows what goes on at UNC admissions. Do you guys think being one of the first people on the wait list means you are at the front of the line? I find it kind of odd that they haven't finished their admittance wave and they stick what seems to be a very small number of people on the waitlist.


I looked at past years' threads on TLS and many people were let in off of the WL, but it was pretty late, like sometime in June/July. So there is hope. I think they really do use their WL.....it's not like getting WL at UVA or something (to which I was WL and don't believe there's a remote chance I'll get in, just by looking at LSN). AT this point though, I'm going to UNC unless UVA let me off the WL and threw me money (ha!), and I've withdrawn from almost all of my other schools.

User avatar
DeeCee
Posts: 1352
Joined: Mon Nov 15, 2010 4:09 am

Re: UNC 2011 Applicants

Postby DeeCee » Tue Mar 29, 2011 11:33 am

dddhhh wrote:
DubPoker wrote:I know a girl who was wait-listed yesterday.


Oh snap! They've unleashed the waitlist. Scary..... :|


I believe I told you this on TLS before, but I love your dog. I have a cairn mix that looks exactly like it.

dddhhh
Posts: 264
Joined: Sat Dec 11, 2010 5:55 pm

Re: UNC 2011 Applicants

Postby dddhhh » Tue Mar 29, 2011 11:43 am

DeeCee wrote:I believe I told you this on TLS before, but I love your dog. I have a cairn mix that looks exactly like it.


That's awesome! If I ever get in we can take them to the dog park! :D

User avatar
DeadLaw
Posts: 23
Joined: Tue Feb 08, 2011 10:03 pm

Re: UNC 2011 Applicants

Postby DeadLaw » Tue Mar 29, 2011 11:44 am

I emailed admissions yesterday concerning seat deposits and the methods of paying them. Jennifer Kotts responded, stating that this is the first year using online payments so they are still working out the kinks of the system. She also said that we can send in a check, but that they prefer the online system be utilized, and to check the system in the next couple of days as they are working on it.

She stated that there were 119 admits last week, so it looks like only a small percentage are posting admit data on TLS. For last weeks admits only, the first seat deposiT is due May 1st, FYI.

Hope this info is useful!

dddhhh
Posts: 264
Joined: Sat Dec 11, 2010 5:55 pm

Re: UNC 2011 Applicants

Postby dddhhh » Tue Mar 29, 2011 11:47 am

DeadLaw wrote:I emailed admissions yesterday concerning seat deposits and the methods of paying them. Jennifer Kotts responded, stating that this is the first year using online payments so they are still working out the kinks of the system. She also said that we can send in a check, but that they prefer the online system be utilized, and to check the system in the next couple of days as they are working on it.

She stated that there were 119 admits last week, so it looks like only a small percentage are posting admit data on TLS. For last weeks admits only, the first seat deposiT is due May 1st, FYI.

Hope this info is useful!


Wow that is a lot of admits for last week, I wonder if they will waitlist from here on out? I got my waitlist email last year on April 6th. please no waitlist again, please no waitlist again...lol

beccabea
Posts: 224
Joined: Wed Jan 05, 2011 3:08 pm

Re: UNC 2011 Applicants

Postby beccabea » Tue Mar 29, 2011 12:47 pm

.
Last edited by beccabea on Tue Apr 05, 2011 2:32 pm, edited 2 times in total.

User avatar
labballin24
Posts: 43
Joined: Wed Feb 16, 2011 3:18 pm

Re: UNC 2011 Applicants

Postby labballin24 » Tue Mar 29, 2011 12:58 pm

I called the admissions office today, and I'm happy to say that I will be attending UNC in the fall!

He told me that he was currently working on getting the e-mails for the scholarship offers out by the end of the day. So the rest of you should be hearing back very soon.




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”