UNC 2011 Applicants

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
DeeCee

Re: UNC 2011 Applicants

Postby DeeCee » Thu Mar 24, 2011 11:12 pm

SupraVln180 wrote:
DeeCee wrote:
Jeffro wrote:
DeeCee wrote:I have a question for anyone who might want to speculate. I'm ready to pay my deposit (just got my tax refund so I've got the extra cash for right now), but should I wait until I hear about scholarships? Once I put down my deposit, would there be less of an incentive for them to consider me for scholarships, or does it not matter either way?
It's tough to call. I have submitted a request for an increased scholly at another school and was told in person by their Director of Admissions that paying the deposit would greatly influence their Scholarship Committee to grant my request (the Director is not part of said Committee, as I understand it). Although there's always the chance UNC will just think they have got you so they don't need to offer you anything, I think it will just confirm how committed you are. I think UNC has a lot of very committed applicants who readily respond to offers of admission (above and beyond what many schools even dream about - this thread, for instance) so they would not necessarily write you off for depositing now.

Do you think this is something worth calling about? Or is that weird? I guess the anxiousness of ending my cycle is getting to me. I feel like I've been obsessing about all of this for a year now.

EDIT: thanks becca! You guys are one step ahead of me today.

DeeCee, just put the money aside for the deposit, but don't submit it. Regardless, what anyone tells you on here, once you submit that deposit, it gives the financial aid office no incentive to offer you a scholarship. You lose nothing by waiting, especially if you put that money aside. Just hold out.

Thanks for your opinion, and for others who responded. I could give the dean a call as becca suggested, or pay it when I come to the April 8th ASD since I'll be on campus. Does anyone know if you can just call and pay by phone, or do you have to mail a check? Also, if I wait until ASD I will likely hear by then whether I will receive a scholarship or not.

SupraVln180

Postby SupraVln180 » Thu Mar 24, 2011 11:20 pm

DeeCee wrote:
SupraVln180 wrote:
DeeCee wrote:
EDIT: thanks becca! You guys are one step ahead of me today.

DeeCee, just put the money aside for the deposit, but don't submit it. Regardless, what anyone tells you on here, once you submit that deposit, it gives the financial aid office no incentive to offer you a scholarship. You lose nothing by waiting, especially if you put that money aside. Just hold out.

Thanks for your opinion, and for others who responded. I could give the dean a call as becca suggested, or pay it when I come to the April 8th ASD since I'll be on campus. Does anyone know if you can just call and pay by phone, or do you have to mail a check? Also, if I wait until ASD I will likely hear by then whether I will receive a scholarship or not.

Yeah Becca was right, you should call Dean States and see what he says, but take it with a grain of salt. He is obviously going to tell you "if you put down a deposit we will still consider you for merit aid." I still would wait it out until you know for sure whether all the scholarship money has been exhausted or not. Good luck with the call though.

boom_cs

Postby boom_cs » Thu Mar 24, 2011 11:32 pm

Does anyone know whether going to UNC undergrad helps or hurts your chances of getting into their law school?

DeeCee

Postby DeeCee » Thu Mar 24, 2011 11:36 pm

boom_cs wrote:Does anyone know whether going to UNC undergrad helps or hurts your chances at law school?

I would say it neither hurts nor helps, although I know at UNC the classes are pretty hard in general so it's hard to keep a high GPA (at least from what my friends there have told me). So your GPA could be less competitive (possibly) if it's lower than other applicants. Anyway, it's all speculation but I'd say that it neither hurts nor helps.

Anyone else know this?

SupraVln180

Postby SupraVln180 » Thu Mar 24, 2011 11:56 pm

DeeCee wrote:
boom_cs wrote:Does anyone know whether going to UNC undergrad helps or hurts your chances at law school?

I would say it neither hurts nor helps, although I know at UNC the classes are pretty hard in general so it's hard to keep a high GPA (at least from what my friends there have told me). So your GPA could be less competitive (possibly) if it's lower than other applicants. Anyway, it's all speculation but I'd say that it neither hurts nor helps.

Anyone else know this?

Someone told me it hurts to be in the UG, but she went to UNC UG and I think was trying to play up her acceptance, like she was dope cause she went to UNC UG and got accepted to the law school. I really don't know though, could be true.

Capitalist

Postby Capitalist » Fri Mar 25, 2011 12:11 am

Adios, dook!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D :D :D :D :D :D :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Now, Tar Heels, lets get this W tomorrow!!!

DeeCee

Postby DeeCee » Fri Mar 25, 2011 1:45 am

Guess the UNC thread went to bed.

Wish I wasn't WIDE AWAKE from sleeping 12 hours instead of 8, on my day off today.

labballin24

Postby labballin24 » Fri Mar 25, 2011 3:08 am

boom_cs wrote:Does anyone know whether going to UNC undergrad helps or hurts your chances of getting into their law school?

I don't know for sure, but I know being an undergrad at ND helped me because there is no way they would have offered someone with my #'s the same amount if I wasn't an ND undergrad. Whether it was because my essays were simply better because I was so familiar with what they wanted to hear or just because I was undergrad, I'm sure it helped.

With a school like UNC that's so favorable to in-state applicants, I would think it would help.

jmm736

Postby jmm736 » Fri Mar 25, 2011 7:45 am

labballin24 wrote:
boom_cs wrote:Does anyone know whether going to UNC undergrad helps or hurts your chances of getting into their law school?

I don't know for sure, but I know being an undergrad at ND helped me because there is no way they would have offered someone with my #'s the same amount if I wasn't an ND undergrad. Whether it was because my essays were simply better because I was so familiar with what they wanted to hear or just because I was undergrad, I'm sure it helped.

With a school like UNC that's so favorable to in-state applicants, I would think it would help.

Did you hear about scholarship labballin24?

labballin24

Postby labballin24 » Fri Mar 25, 2011 1:10 pm

jmm736 wrote:
labballin24 wrote:

No, not yet. I was referring to my experience with ND.

jmm736

Postby jmm736 » Fri Mar 25, 2011 1:50 pm

labballin24 wrote:
jmm736 wrote:
labballin24 wrote:

No, not yet. I was referring to my experience with ND.

Dang. Misread....was hoping it was a sign of some movement in the scholarships.

DeadLaw

Postby DeadLaw » Fri Mar 25, 2011 2:10 pm

Looks like they have a link for seat deposits up on the admitted students page. It doesn't look like it's fully functional yet, but it does have my application status there (although not yet updated to show my acceptance).

This leads me to believe that the law school is having to enter info into ConnectCarolina, and that may be contributing to the slow processing times.

Just letting everyone know in case you hadn't noticed it yet.

beccabea

Postby beccabea » Fri Mar 25, 2011 2:29 pm

Last edited by beccabea on Tue Apr 05, 2011 2:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

rehtulx

Postby rehtulx » Fri Mar 25, 2011 3:05 pm

bcastel1 wrote:Like many people on this thread, I'm irritated that UNC takes so long to render decisions. I emailed the admissions office a couple days ago, and here is the response I got:

Thank you for your continued interest in the University of North Carolina School of Law Chapel Hill.

We recognize and realize, you and half of our applicant pool have yet to hear decisions. I also know how frustrating this process can be. I truly do. Regardless of when the applicant applied, there is and was no guarantee that a decision would be rendered immediately. Also, our applicant pool holds numbers close to 3,000 and that while applicants are accepted for different reasons, admissions is competitive. It takes us a tremendous amount of time to review files. Those applicants that are more competitive than others will be reviewed first with the first round of decisions completed by April 1st. All other applicants will hear decisions by May 1st, 2011. Try not to become too obsessed with checking the status of your file (I know it’s hard not to).

So while I know your patience is wearing thin, I do ask you to kindly hold out for another month or so. Certainly if you are holding any acceptances to other law schools, I will highly advise and encourage you to place at least a seat deposit down as I would hate for you to miss out on that opportunity especially if it involves a scholarship. I can tell at this point, we have only offered 140 acceptances and have another 200 (give or take) to award this first round. We still have plenty of decisions to make and plenty of files still to review. Of course, you do know that you are welcome at any time to check in with me to see where we are in the processing of getting decisions out. I’ll tell you as much as I know.

.... hope someone finds this helpful.

Just pointing out they received over 3100 applications last year...good news for all us!

LEPinBOS

Postby LEPinBOS » Fri Mar 25, 2011 3:42 pm

rehtulx wrote:
bcastel1 wrote:Like many people on this thread, I'm irritated that UNC takes so long to render decisions. I emailed the admissions office a couple days ago, and here is the response I got:

Thank you for your continued interest in the University of North Carolina School of Law Chapel Hill.

We recognize and realize, you and half of our applicant pool have yet to hear decisions. I also know how frustrating this process can be. I truly do. Regardless of when the applicant applied, there is and was no guarantee that a decision would be rendered immediately. Also, our applicant pool holds numbers close to 3,000 and that while applicants are accepted for different reasons, admissions is competitive. It takes us a tremendous amount of time to review files. Those applicants that are more competitive than others will be reviewed first with the first round of decisions completed by April 1st. All other applicants will hear decisions by May 1st, 2011. Try not to become too obsessed with checking the status of your file (I know it’s hard not to).

So while I know your patience is wearing thin, I do ask you to kindly hold out for another month or so. Certainly if you are holding any acceptances to other law schools, I will highly advise and encourage you to place at least a seat deposit down as I would hate for you to miss out on that opportunity especially if it involves a scholarship. I can tell at this point, we have only offered 140 acceptances and have another 200 (give or take) to award this first round. We still have plenty of decisions to make and plenty of files still to review. Of course, you do know that you are welcome at any time to check in with me to see where we are in the processing of getting decisions out. I’ll tell you as much as I know.

Just pointing out they received over 3100 applications last year...good news for all us!

So we are trusting the accuracy of this post? Seems kind of sketch to me. If it's real, then great! There are likely some more acceptances coming. But somethings don't make sense. I've bolded the parts that give me pause.

DeeCee

Postby DeeCee » Fri Mar 25, 2011 3:44 pm

LEPinBOS wrote:
rehtulx wrote:

So we are trusting the accuracy of this post? Seems kind of sketch to me. If it's real, then great! There are likely some more acceptances coming. But somethings don't make sense. I've bolded the parts that give me pause.

I immediately thought the same thing about University of North Carolina School of Law Chapel Hill.
However, I'm not trying to start a shitstorm or call people into question.

innernetp

Postby innernetp » Fri Mar 25, 2011 3:45 pm

SupraVln180 wrote:
DeeCee wrote:

Anyone else know this?

Someone told me it hurts to be in the UG, but she went to UNC UG and I think was trying to play up her acceptance, like she was dope cause she went to UNC UG and got accepted to the law school. I really don't know though, could be true.

I'm not sure if you're talking about me or not.

I don't think it helps or hurts. Well... I think it helps for YP because even if you have ridiculous numbers the ad coms realize that you understand that Chapel Hill is wonderful and would turn down other places for it. I think for other grad degree programs it makes it very difficult. Really the more I think about it, I just don't think it hurts. If you get the numbers you need they're not going to reject you because you went to UNC.

DeeCee

Postby DeeCee » Fri Mar 25, 2011 4:54 pm

It's Friday! We need scholarship updates :D

beccabea

Postby beccabea » Fri Mar 25, 2011 6:24 pm

Last edited by beccabea on Tue Apr 05, 2011 2:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

SupraVln180

Postby SupraVln180 » Fri Mar 25, 2011 8:00 pm

innernetp wrote:
SupraVln180 wrote:
DeeCee wrote:

Anyone else know this?

I'm not sure if you're talking about me or not.

I don't think it helps or hurts. Well... I think it helps for YP because even if you have ridiculous numbers the ad coms realize that you understand that Chapel Hill is wonderful and would turn down other places for it. I think for other grad degree programs it makes it very difficult. Really the more I think about it, I just don't think it hurts. If you get the numbers you need they're not going to reject you because you went to UNC.

I wasn't referring to you. To be honest, I don't know who I am referring to. I was small talking with someone who told me that, so I guess it could of been you, b/c I'm not sure if we met or not.

skw

Postby skw » Fri Mar 25, 2011 8:27 pm

Carolina is slaughtering Marquette. This is awesome!

skw

Postby skw » Fri Mar 25, 2011 9:24 pm

Elite 8, baby. What a game. I am so excited to a be a part of this. Good luck to those still waiting to hear. I can't wait to root for the Heels as an official law student!

pattonthicke

Postby pattonthicke » Fri Mar 25, 2011 9:35 pm

skw wrote: I can't wait to root for the Heels as an official law student!

+1

Capitalist

Postby Capitalist » Fri Mar 25, 2011 11:00 pm

Great game by the Heels tonight. Really looking forward to Sunday's game whether it's against OSU or UK.

I've been rooting for the Heels my whole life(family attended UNC), but it sure would be nice to cheer for them as a part of the Carolina family.

Go Heels!!

P.S. When is dook's next bball game...? :lol:

PDL

Postby PDL » Sat Mar 26, 2011 3:41 am

Last edited by PDL on Sat Apr 26, 2014 8:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”