UNC 2011 Applicants

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
User avatar
DubPoker
Posts: 211
Joined: Wed May 06, 2009 4:13 pm

Re: UNC 2011 Applicants

Postby DubPoker » Wed Mar 23, 2011 8:54 pm

trayball23 wrote:anyone else just ready for review? been complete since jan 12


Your not the only one haha...

But question for the new admits, did anyone go straight from "ready to review" to "decision rendered"???

User avatar
theavrock
Posts: 601
Joined: Mon Feb 23, 2009 10:52 pm

Re: UNC 2011 Applicants

Postby theavrock » Wed Mar 23, 2011 8:56 pm

DubPoker wrote:
trayball23 wrote:anyone else just ready for review? been complete since jan 12


Your not the only one haha...

But question for the new admits, did anyone go straight from "ready to review" to "decision rendered"???


+1

LEPinBOS
Posts: 72
Joined: Wed Feb 23, 2011 10:37 am

Re: UNC 2011 Applicants

Postby LEPinBOS » Wed Mar 23, 2011 9:00 pm

trayball23 wrote:anyone else just ready for review? been complete since jan 12


Yes. I now expect a WL letter/email by April 1.

Something just doesn't feel right about this year's cycle with UNC. If you look at the previous years on LSN, then you see that they've usually admitted a lot more people by now. What is different? Maybe just a smaller percent of total applicants are posting on LSN. It could be that simple. But that explanation doesn't make any sense to me.

Any thoughts?

Like I said, I expect a WL letter/email/status update by April 1. My ego will be bruised, but that's the nature of this beast. While UNC is where I want to go to law school, WFU and W&M have offered me money. At some point in this process, it will become time to focus on and to get excited about attending one of those schools.

Congrats to those of you who got in today. It's such a great accomplishment.

beccabea
Posts: 224
Joined: Wed Jan 05, 2011 3:08 pm

Re: UNC 2011 Applicants

Postby beccabea » Wed Mar 23, 2011 9:27 pm

.
Last edited by beccabea on Tue Apr 05, 2011 2:24 pm, edited 3 times in total.

SupraVln180
Posts: 883
Joined: Mon Apr 19, 2010 10:50 pm

Re: UNC 2011 Applicants

Postby SupraVln180 » Wed Mar 23, 2011 9:42 pm

LEPinBOS wrote:
trayball23 wrote:anyone else just ready for review? been complete since jan 12


Yes. I now expect a WL letter/email by April 1.

Something just doesn't feel right about this year's cycle with UNC. If you look at the previous years on LSN, then you see that they've usually admitted a lot more people by now. What is different? Maybe just a smaller percent of total applicants are posting on LSN. It could be that simple. But that explanation doesn't make any sense to me.

Any thoughts?

Like I said, I expect a WL letter/email/status update by April 1. My ego will be bruised, but that's the nature of this beast. While UNC is where I want to go to law school, WFU and W&M have offered me money. At some point in this process, it will become time to focus on and to get excited about attending one of those schools.

Congrats to those of you who got in today. It's such a great accomplishment.


William & Mary is an awesome school, I don't think it is a step down from UNC at all. So relax, while you are waiting (which I know is hard to do), because you already have good options.

And congrats to the new admits.

Jeffro
Posts: 163
Joined: Wed Nov 24, 2010 11:41 pm

Re: UNC 2011 Applicants

Postby Jeffro » Wed Mar 23, 2011 9:46 pm

Congrats to everyone admitted today! I must admit it is bittersweet for me as I'm still ready for review but...

New applicant game time!
Who can beat my Ready for Review - 11/12/10?

LEPinBOS
Posts: 72
Joined: Wed Feb 23, 2011 10:37 am

Re: UNC 2011 Applicants

Postby LEPinBOS » Wed Mar 23, 2011 9:49 pm

Residents, where will you go, if not UNC?

User avatar
haoledugan
Posts: 118
Joined: Wed Feb 09, 2011 10:49 pm

Re: UNC 2011 Applicants

Postby haoledugan » Wed Mar 23, 2011 9:49 pm

Jeffro wrote:Congrats to everyone admitted today! I must admit it is bittersweet for me as I'm still ready for review but...

New applicant game time!
Who can beat my Ready for Review - 11/12/10?


ew, you got me by almost a month (12/4/10)

User avatar
theavrock
Posts: 601
Joined: Mon Feb 23, 2009 10:52 pm

Re: UNC 2011 Applicants

Postby theavrock » Wed Mar 23, 2011 10:09 pm

haoledugan wrote:
Jeffro wrote:Congrats to everyone admitted today! I must admit it is bittersweet for me as I'm still ready for review but...

New applicant game time!
Who can beat my Ready for Review - 11/12/10?


ew, you got me by almost a month (12/4/10)


11/9

Jeffro
Posts: 163
Joined: Wed Nov 24, 2010 11:41 pm

Re: UNC 2011 Applicants

Postby Jeffro » Wed Mar 23, 2011 11:10 pm

^ I'm a close second so far...first one to beat theavrock wins absolutely nothing, come on.

User avatar
TammyC.Hsu
Posts: 9
Joined: Mon Mar 14, 2011 1:52 am

Re: UNC 2011 Applicants

Postby TammyC.Hsu » Wed Mar 23, 2011 11:22 pm

LEPinBOS wrote:Residents, where will you go, if not UNC?

For me, it's a toss up b/t UNC and WFU. Both are great schools, but I fell in love with WFU while UNC's dean managed to turn me off to the school on my visit. But the difference in tuition as a resident is hard to overlook.

User avatar
DeeCee
Posts: 1352
Joined: Mon Nov 15, 2010 4:09 am

Re: UNC 2011 Applicants

Postby DeeCee » Wed Mar 23, 2011 11:26 pm

TammyC.Hsu wrote:
LEPinBOS wrote:Residents, where will you go, if not UNC?

For me, it's a toss up b/t UNC and WFU. Both are great schools, but I fell in love with WFU while UNC's dean managed to turn me off to the school on my visit. But the difference in tuition as a resident is hard to overlook.



FYI, UNC>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>WF.

HTH with your decision. :D

LEPinBOS
Posts: 72
Joined: Wed Feb 23, 2011 10:37 am

Re: UNC 2011 Applicants

Postby LEPinBOS » Wed Mar 23, 2011 11:31 pm

DeeCee wrote:
TammyC.Hsu wrote:
LEPinBOS wrote:Residents, where will you go, if not UNC?

For me, it's a toss up b/t UNC and WFU. Both are great schools, but I fell in love with WFU while UNC's dean managed to turn me off to the school on my visit. But the difference in tuition as a resident is hard to overlook.



FYI, UNC>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>WF.

HTH with your decision. :D


http://www.qwizx.com/gssfx/usa/tpirhorns.wav

SupraVln180
Posts: 883
Joined: Mon Apr 19, 2010 10:50 pm

Re: UNC 2011 Applicants

Postby SupraVln180 » Wed Mar 23, 2011 11:32 pm

DeeCee wrote:
TammyC.Hsu wrote:
LEPinBOS wrote:Residents, where will you go, if not UNC?

For me, it's a toss up b/t UNC and WFU. Both are great schools, but I fell in love with WFU while UNC's dean managed to turn me off to the school on my visit. But the difference in tuition as a resident is hard to overlook.



FYI, UNC>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>WF.

HTH with your decision. :D


Technically they are considered peer schools, but if you have both options available to you, you should definitely take UNC.

User avatar
DeeCee
Posts: 1352
Joined: Mon Nov 15, 2010 4:09 am

Re: UNC 2011 Applicants

Postby DeeCee » Wed Mar 23, 2011 11:36 pm

SupraVln180 wrote:
DeeCee wrote:
TammyC.Hsu wrote:
LEPinBOS wrote:Residents, where will you go, if not UNC?

For me, it's a toss up b/t UNC and WFU. Both are great schools, but I fell in love with WFU while UNC's dean managed to turn me off to the school on my visit. But the difference in tuition as a resident is hard to overlook.



FYI, UNC>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>WF.

HTH with your decision. :D


Technically they are considered peer schools, but if you have both options available to you, you should definitely take UNC.


I was more kidding and being a smart ass, but they are peer schools and it really comes down to personal choice. The major drawback is WF is way more money, and I personally did not like the atmosphere when I visited (granted, it was a tour when I was choosing a school for undergrad). Plus, I think W-S is a little boring, esp compared to the triangle area. But obviously, these are personal opinions.

SupraVln180
Posts: 883
Joined: Mon Apr 19, 2010 10:50 pm

Re: UNC 2011 Applicants

Postby SupraVln180 » Wed Mar 23, 2011 11:54 pm

DeeCee wrote:
SupraVln180 wrote:
DeeCee wrote:
TammyC.Hsu wrote:For me, it's a toss up b/t UNC and WFU. Both are great schools, but I fell in love with WFU while UNC's dean managed to turn me off to the school on my visit. But the difference in tuition as a resident is hard to overlook.



FYI, UNC>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>WF.

HTH with your decision. :D


Technically they are considered peer schools, but if you have both options available to you, you should definitely take UNC.


I was more kidding and being a smart ass, but they are peer schools and it really comes down to personal choice. The major drawback is WF is way more money, and I personally did not like the atmosphere when I visited (granted, it was a tour when I was choosing a school for undergrad). Plus, I think W-S is a little boring, esp compared to the triangle area. But obviously, these are personal opinions.


I didn't think you were being a smart ass. I actually was referring directly to Tammy's post I just quoted yours too, so that was my fault. Anyway, as an outsider looking in (being from NY) Wake's name really doesn't hold as much weight as UNC. I didn't even apply there. Either way, if you are from NC and plan on staying in NC, they are both excellent options. Go to whichever is cheaper.

DeeCee: Now that I think of it, I'm actually surprised you didn't apply to Wake, being from NC and all.

User avatar
DeeCee
Posts: 1352
Joined: Mon Nov 15, 2010 4:09 am

Re: UNC 2011 Applicants

Postby DeeCee » Wed Mar 23, 2011 11:59 pm

SupraVln180 wrote:
DeeCee wrote:
SupraVln180 wrote:
Technically they are considered peer schools, but if you have both options available to you, you should definitely take UNC.


I was more kidding and being a smart ass, but they are peer schools and it really comes down to personal choice. The major drawback is WF is way more money, and I personally did not like the atmosphere when I visited (granted, it was a tour when I was choosing a school for undergrad). Plus, I think W-S is a little boring, esp compared to the triangle area. But obviously, these are personal opinions.


I didn't think you were being a smart ass. I actually was referring directly to Tammy's post I just quoted yours too, so that was my fault. Anyway, as an outsider looking in (being from NY) Wake's name really doesn't hold as much weight as UNC. I didn't even apply there. Either way, if you are from NC and plan on staying in NC, they are both excellent options. Go to whichever is cheaper.


Agreed about this. I hope to get up near DC, or even NY one day. I've been in the south for most of my life, so I'd love to live someplace northward at some point. My BF and his family are from NY, and they believe the UNC name is well-known in NY. They also say the same thing as you say, Supra, about WF versus UNC; I think WF is more recognized in the south.

denniscrane
Posts: 11
Joined: Wed Mar 16, 2011 6:45 pm

Re: UNC 2011 Applicants

Postby denniscrane » Thu Mar 24, 2011 12:10 am

DeeCee wrote:
SupraVln180 wrote:
DeeCee wrote:
SupraVln180 wrote:
Technically they are considered peer schools, but if you have both options available to you, you should definitely take UNC.


I was more kidding and being a smart ass, but they are peer schools and it really comes down to personal choice. The major drawback is WF is way more money, and I personally did not like the atmosphere when I visited (granted, it was a tour when I was choosing a school for undergrad). Plus, I think W-S is a little boring, esp compared to the triangle area. But obviously, these are personal opinions.


I didn't think you were being a smart ass. I actually was referring directly to Tammy's post I just quoted yours too, so that was my fault. Anyway, as an outsider looking in (being from NY) Wake's name really doesn't hold as much weight as UNC. I didn't even apply there. Either way, if you are from NC and plan on staying in NC, they are both excellent options. Go to whichever is cheaper.


Agreed about this. I hope to get up near DC, or even NY one day. I've been in the south for most of my life, so I'd love to live someplace northward at some point. My BF and his family are from NY, and they believe the UNC name is well-known in NY. They also say the same thing as you say, Supra, about WF versus UNC; I think WF is more recognized in the south.

Wake is not more recognized in the south. Definitely UNC, but of course everyone knows Wake is good too. People who don't know about law schools at all hear UNC and their ears perk up because of the general reputation.

User avatar
DeeCee
Posts: 1352
Joined: Mon Nov 15, 2010 4:09 am

Re: UNC 2011 Applicants

Postby DeeCee » Thu Mar 24, 2011 12:14 am

denniscrane wrote:Wake is not more recognized in the south. Definitely UNC, but of course everyone knows Wake is good too. People who don't know about law schools at all hear UNC and their ears perk up because of the general reputation.


shit...OK sorry I didn't mean more than UNC. I added more in there to mean south versus north, as in WF is more recognized in the south than the north.

beccabea
Posts: 224
Joined: Wed Jan 05, 2011 3:08 pm

Re: UNC 2011 Applicants

Postby beccabea » Thu Mar 24, 2011 12:27 am

.
Last edited by beccabea on Tue Apr 05, 2011 2:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Moral_Midgetry
Posts: 543
Joined: Tue May 11, 2010 3:29 pm

Re: UNC 2011 Applicants

Postby Moral_Midgetry » Thu Mar 24, 2011 12:29 am

beccabea wrote:I keep glancing at other schools' threads and seeing "I'm sick of waiting on UNC; I'm sending in my deposit to ______," and it's really bumming me out. :(


Their loss and more scholly money for us.

IBThatGuy
Posts: 84
Joined: Wed Oct 21, 2009 8:44 pm

Re: UNC 2011 Applicants

Postby IBThatGuy » Thu Mar 24, 2011 12:41 am

TammyC.Hsu wrote:
LEPinBOS wrote:Residents, where will you go, if not UNC?

For me, it's a toss up b/t UNC and WFU. Both are great schools, but I fell in love with WFU while UNC's dean managed to turn me off to the school on my visit. But the difference in tuition as a resident is hard to overlook.

I'd be interested to read some elaboration on this.

Any reason to think that was it for the week? UNC is my first choice. I had a really brutal night before the LSAT. If I don't get into UNC, I'm sitting out a year. I don't want to do that.

SupraVln180
Posts: 883
Joined: Mon Apr 19, 2010 10:50 pm

Re: UNC 2011 Applicants

Postby SupraVln180 » Thu Mar 24, 2011 6:36 am

Moral_Midgetry wrote:
beccabea wrote:I keep glancing at other schools' threads and seeing "I'm sick of waiting on UNC; I'm sending in my deposit to ______," and it's really bumming me out. :(


Their loss and more scholly money for us.


Yeah you definitely want as many people to withdraw as possible. Frees up alot of $$$.
Last edited by SupraVln180 on Thu Mar 24, 2011 9:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
paratrooper06
Posts: 46
Joined: Sat Apr 18, 2009 10:54 pm

Re: UNC 2011 Applicants

Postby paratrooper06 » Thu Mar 24, 2011 7:58 am

trayball23 wrote:anyone else just ready for review? been complete since jan 12



Been ready for review since december...FML

beccabea
Posts: 224
Joined: Wed Jan 05, 2011 3:08 pm

Re: UNC 2011 Applicants

Postby beccabea » Thu Mar 24, 2011 9:56 am

.
Last edited by beccabea on Tue Apr 05, 2011 2:26 pm, edited 2 times in total.




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Baby Gaga, Cloture, EricDelgado, fountainja, galeatus, Lawl_Schoolz, lawnerd87, spookyg_g_ghost, Tennisgirl20, trueblue92 and 37 guests