UNC 2011 Applicants

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
qed2011

Re: UNC 2011 Applicants

Postby qed2011 » Tue Mar 22, 2011 2:15 pm

Just wanted y'all to know that Jennifer Kott was, indeed, able to out me, and just called me at my parent's house. She is a frequent reader of this thread, and encourages us to talk to Dean States if we have any specific questions.

DubPoker

Postby DubPoker » Tue Mar 22, 2011 2:20 pm

qed2011 wrote:Just wanted y'all to know that Jennifer Kott was, indeed, able to out me, and just called me at my parent's house. She is a frequent reader of this thread, and encourages us to talk to Dean States if we have any specific questions.

:!: wow, was she neutral towards TLS's UNC thread?

I understand that if you post statements lacking in professionalism it could hurt you, but what about the forum in general. (I conduct myself in forums how I would IRL, so I hope it's not looked down upon)

MattThiessen

Postby MattThiessen » Tue Mar 22, 2011 2:28 pm

Hi Ms. Kott! :D

qed2011

Postby qed2011 » Tue Mar 22, 2011 2:29 pm

To be honest, she sounded pretty upset with me and my use of the word "ridiculous." She was worried about the image it presented of the school, even though I felt it was very honest of the way I, as an applicant, felt, and this is a board for applicants to talk amongst each other. The rest of my post, I felt, was very positive of the school and accurately reflected the day. I will not be editing or deleting it.

I don't know how she feels about the boards in general. While I understand that it is definitely part of her job for her to read these boards, I would suggest that if she wants to more carefully control the tone, she is welcome to post here herself (as I know the dean of Illinois does). Calling me at my family home to lecture me about internet use may shut one person (me) up from saying (generally positive!) things, but it's a stopgap measure that I frankly found aggressive and off-putting. And yes, now I can tell the internet that too.

To end on another positive note, I did appreciate her suggestion to be open with the staff about any questions we might have, up to and including the dean.

DubPoker

Postby DubPoker » Tue Mar 22, 2011 2:46 pm

Compared to other threads I've ventured into on TLS. UNC has a great thread, there are no arguments or trolls. The schools reputation and public interest focus is mentioned frequently.

I'm trying hard to not sound like i'm being a "brown nose" but the reason people (like me) are anxious about not being admitted yet is because we want to attend UNC. It is frankly stressful not knowing where you are going to spend the next three years of your life developing your professional career. I am sorry if UNC's admissions staff is upset by our posts, we have no way of knowing the exact situation (software upgrades, employee personal issues, super holistic approach) of the department.

If she (or anyone else in admissions) posted on TLS it could only increase potential students knowledge of UNC's admission process.

rehtulx

Postby rehtulx » Tue Mar 22, 2011 3:05 pm

DubPoker wrote:Compared to other threads I've ventured into on TLS. UNC has a great thread, there are no arguments or trolls. The schools reputation and public interest focus is mentioned frequently.

I'm trying hard to not sound like i'm being a "brown nose" but the reason people (like me) are anxious about not being admitted yet is because we want to attend UNC. It is frankly stressful not knowing where you are going to spend the next three years of your life developing your professional career. I am sorry if UNC's admissions staff is upset by our posts, we have no way of knowing the exact situation (software upgrades, employee personal issues, super holistic approach) of the department.

If she (or anyone else in admissions) posted on TLS it could only increase potential students knowledge of UNC's admission process.

I agree. Additionally, as April 1 approaches, it becomes expensive. For all other schools I have been admitted to, there is a 500-1000 deposit due between April 1 and April 15; in the case of my second choice, this is April 1. For a college student, this can easily be prohibitively expensive given how much cash we've paid to apply already.

Will I still go to UNC if I get in? Yes--but I'll also have to take a cash advance on my credit card to do it.

borntorun86

Postby borntorun86 » Tue Mar 22, 2011 3:29 pm

I think the issue of what's public/private is one worthy of discussing. Obviously, all of us here (hopefully) know that this is a public forum and that anyone, from Jennifer Kott to Dean States to UNC President Thomas freaking Ross can read what we say here. I would hope that we all have the sense not to make idiots of ourselves (unless a UNC game is going on, in which case I would hope they understand if we get, uh, passionate). As in all things, I think the rule "don't act like an idiot" applies here and for the most part we abide by that rule (again, see Madness, March).

Having said that, I also appreciate TLS as a place where folks can come and vent under relative anonymity to folks who are going through the same process. Misery loves company, and the knowledge that tens if not hundreds/thousands of your peers are experiencing the same sense of frustration, angst, and anticipation is rather comforting. I would hope that the admissions folks understand this, and that our frustration with waiting is simply a manifestation of human nature, not of any particular ill will towards Carolina (trust me, I wouldn't put up with this at dook or WFU).

To that point, I'm now going to sell Carolina Law to all of you (in case you weren't convinced before). I had the privilege yesterday of having Don Hornstein, a UNC law professor, guest lecture my environmental policy class on flood and wind insurance systems in North Carolina. It was one of the best lectures I've ever heard in 6 years of post-secondary education. Entertaining, informative, and thought-provoking. You get pent up with frustration over things that are really out of your hands, and then you have an experience like that which reminds you why you want to go to UNC in the first place...let's just say it was a very theraputic and rewarding hour and 15 minutes.
Last edited by borntorun86 on Tue Mar 22, 2011 4:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Capitalist

Postby Capitalist » Tue Mar 22, 2011 4:17 pm

borntorun86 wrote:I think the issue of what's public/private is one worthy of discussing. Obviously, all of us here (hopefully) know that this is a public forum and that anyone, from Jennifer Kott to Dean States to UNC President Thomas freaking Ross can read what we say here. I would hope that we all have the sense not to make idiots of ourselves (unless a UNC game is going on, in which case I would hope they understand if we get, uh, passionate). As in all things, I think the rule "don't act like an idiot" applies here and for the most part we abide by that rule (again, see Madness, March).

Having said that, I also appreciate TLS as a place where folks can come and vent under relative anonymity to folks who are going through the same process. Misery loves company, and the knowledge that tens if not hundreds/thousands of your peers are experiencing is rather comforting. I would hope that the admissions folks understand this, and that our frustration with waiting is simply a manifestation of human nature, not of any particular ill will towards Carolina (trust me, I wouldn't put up with this at dook or WFU).

To that point, I'm now going to sell Carolina Law to all of you (in case you weren't convinced before). I had the privilege yesterday of having Don Hornstein, a UNC law professor, guest lecture my environ
mental policy class on flood and wind insurance systems in North Carolina. It was one of the best lectures I've ever heard in 6 years of post-secondary education. Entertaining, informative, and thought-provoking. You get pent up with frustration over things that are really out of your hands, and then you have an experience like that which reminds you why you want to go to UNC in the first place...let's just say it was a very theraputic and rewarding hour and 15 minutes.

Well said.

beccabea

Postby beccabea » Tue Mar 22, 2011 4:38 pm

Last edited by beccabea on Tue Apr 05, 2011 2:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Barbie

Postby Barbie » Tue Mar 22, 2011 4:54 pm

rehtulx wrote:
DubPoker wrote:Compared to other threads I've ventured into on TLS. UNC has a great thread, there are no arguments or trolls. The schools reputation and public interest focus is mentioned frequently.

I agree. Additionally, as April 1 approaches, it becomes expensive. For all other schools I have been admitted to, there is a 500-1000 deposit due between April 1 and April 15; in the case of my second choice, this is April 1. For a college student, this can easily be prohibitively expensive given how much cash we've paid to apply already.

Will I still go to UNC if I get in? Yes--but I'll also have to take a cash advance on my credit card to do it.

Exactly. I applied months and months ago and am ONLY waiting on UNC out of the handfuls of schools I applied to. Everyone that is waiting to hear pass other deadlines are pretty much forced to deposit elsewhere as a safety. I consider myself an extremely borderline candidate, but would really, REALLY like to know almost one way or another at this point. :( But I also think that if UNC representatives would post in here, it would be beneficial to everyone. I think it has had a positive impact on Illinois applicants.

qed2011

Postby qed2011 » Tue Mar 22, 2011 5:08 pm

beccabea wrote:
You're ballsier than I am, qed. :shock:

Look, I care a lot about Carolina. I cared enough to apply, fly across the country to visit, sit in on a class, take a tour, talk to current students, read all of the official communications they've sent to us, and, yes, find and post on an internet message board devoted to the subject.
We all have frustrations with the process at times, and TLS is a great place to vent those when they come up. But it's not reflective of the way I think we all feel about a school we have devoted considerable time, energy, and love to. To suggest otherwise is more damaging than any remark about financial aid.

That's all I will be saying about this. Go Heels!
Last edited by qed2011 on Tue Mar 22, 2011 5:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

YouDontKnowMe

Postby YouDontKnowMe » Tue Mar 22, 2011 5:17 pm

qed2011 wrote:To be honest, she sounded pretty upset with me and my use of the word "ridiculous." She was worried about the image it presented of the school, even though I felt it was very honest of the way I, as an applicant, felt, and this is a board for applicants to talk amongst each other. The rest of my post, I felt, was very positive of the school and accurately reflected the day. I will not be editing or deleting it.

If the admissions office is so concerned with the image presented of the school, then how did they gain the reputation of being notoriously rude on the phone?

beccabea

Postby beccabea » Tue Mar 22, 2011 5:39 pm

Last edited by beccabea on Tue Apr 05, 2011 2:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

trayball23

Postby trayball23 » Tue Mar 22, 2011 5:58 pm

I am dying for this reply I will hundo percent go if I get in I think UNC campus would be a nice transition from ND campus wise and sports wise and the law school is top notch... Not a tarheal fan.... but I learn quick haha

PHC

Postby PHC » Tue Mar 22, 2011 6:05 pm

trayball23 wrote:I am dying for this reply I will hundo percent go if I get in I think UNC campus would be a nice transition from ND campus wise and sports wise and the law school is top notch... Not a tarheal fan.... but I learn quick haha

The first thing you should learn is that it is Tar Heel. Two words. Two e's.

And I, too, am dying to know. Even if it's bad news, I just want to know!

trayball23

Postby trayball23 » Tue Mar 22, 2011 6:06 pm

noted

2things2

Postby 2things2 » Tue Mar 22, 2011 6:13 pm

Boy I sure do love that Dean States! He's a good looking guy and he sure is smart! Not only that, he's very caring! Yeah! Go Dean States!

borntorun86

Postby borntorun86 » Tue Mar 22, 2011 6:22 pm

In this metaphor, normal students are LMac and trolls are Mason Plumlee, who is good at being tall, fouling, and nothing else.

Capitalist

Postby Capitalist » Tue Mar 22, 2011 6:57 pm

borntorun86 wrote:Image

In this metaphor, normal students are LMac and trolls are Mason Plumlee, who is good at being tall, fouling, and nothing else.

I think that's Miles Plumlee, not like it really matters, though. Both brothers Plumlee are (insert adjective here).

Moral_Midgetry

Postby Moral_Midgetry » Tue Mar 22, 2011 7:35 pm

Capitalist wrote:
borntorun86 wrote:Image

I think that's Miles Plumlee, not like it really matters, though. Both brothers Plumlee are (GOONSinsert adjective here).

theavrock

Postby theavrock » Tue Mar 22, 2011 7:46 pm

I've stayed out of this debate on the speed of admissions, but I honestly can't help it.

If ridiculous is not the word to use, then I am not sure what is. Every law school out there knows that applicants apply many places and also that most seat deposits are due by the middle of April. If they can't get it together and issue all of their decisions before that time frame I think that is ridiculous.

Almost every other school out there does this, so someone tell me why UNC can't. UNC was at the top of my list and still probably is for many different reasons, but I have absolutely lost respect for the school based on their handling of the whole process.

Without TLS I would have applied in October and still had not heard a word from them to this date. If you are going to take forever to get back to people at least provide some sort of communications.

I think ridiculous most accurately sums up my feelings of their approach to admissions.

Moral_Midgetry

Postby Moral_Midgetry » Tue Mar 22, 2011 7:52 pm

Let's talk about basketball.

TheFactor

Postby TheFactor » Tue Mar 22, 2011 7:58 pm

theavrock wrote:I've stayed out of this debate on the speed of admissions, but I honestly can't help it.

If ridiculous is not the word to use, then I am not sure what is. Every law school out there knows that applicants apply many places and also that most seat deposits are due by the middle of April. If they can't get it together and issue all of their decisions before that time frame I think that is ridiculous.

Almost every other school out there does this, so someone tell me why UNC can't. UNC was at the top of my list and still probably is for many different reasons, but I have absolutely lost respect for the school based on their handling of the whole process.

Without TLS I would have applied in October and still had not heard a word from them to this date. If you are going to take forever to get back to people at least provide some sort of communications.

I think ridiculous most accurately sums up my feelings of their approach to admissions.

+1000

I submitted in October and have been "under review" since late December with numbers above both 75ths. UNC was my hands-down #1 choice going into this cycle, but if I don't get a decision before deposits at other schools are due I'll have to withdraw.

I'm afraid that "ridiculous" is a painfully accurate description.

skw

Postby skw » Tue Mar 22, 2011 8:02 pm

My status just changed. I'm under review as of a few minutes ago. Yeah!!!! Fingers crossed -- I will be beyond thrilled if I'm accepted to Carolina. GO HEELS!

Barbie

Postby Barbie » Tue Mar 22, 2011 8:18 pm

skw wrote:My status just changed. I'm under review as of a few minutes ago. Yeah!!!! Fingers crossed -- I will be beyond thrilled if I'm accepted to Carolina. GO HEELS!

Lucky duck! I am tres curious as to what process they use to decide who gets reviewed first.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”