UNC 2011 Applicants

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
LEPinBOS

Re: UNC 2011 Applicants

Postby LEPinBOS » Mon Mar 21, 2011 1:54 pm

isn't a splitter just an applicant with one number above one median and another below the other median? maybe i have the definition wrong.

i am barely below one median and barely above the other median. as i understand it, unc's medians are 163 and 3.58.

rehtulx

Postby rehtulx » Mon Mar 21, 2011 1:55 pm

I'm still "complete, waiting for review"...really hope I hear back before my other deposits are due March 1.

borntorun86

Postby borntorun86 » Mon Mar 21, 2011 1:59 pm

LEPinBOS wrote:isn't a splitter just an applicant with one number above one median and another below the other median? maybe i have the definition wrong.

i am barely below one median and barely above the other median. as i understand it, unc's medians are 163 and 3.58.

A "splitter" is definied as having one number above the 75th percentile and the other below the 25th percentile. If your numbers fall within the inter-quartile range, you're not a splitter according to the classical definition.

LEPinBOS

Postby LEPinBOS » Mon Mar 21, 2011 2:04 pm

borntorun86 wrote:
LEPinBOS wrote:isn't a splitter just an applicant with one number above one median and another below the other median? maybe i have the definition wrong.

A "splitter" is definied as having one number above the 75th percentile and the other below the 25th percentile. If your numbers fall within the inter-quartile range, you're not a splitter according to the classical definition.

hey, who knew? i'm actually on the avant garde trying to redefine the word "splitter."

DeeCee

Postby DeeCee » Mon Mar 21, 2011 2:50 pm

borntorun86 wrote:
DeeCee wrote:
SupraVln180 wrote:DeeCee I haven't seen you post lately. How's that thesis treating you?

It's been crazy! LOL. My advisor is soooooo slow at reviewing my data analysis that I will now be finishing and defending by June 1 (even though Spring graduation is May 6 :(). I've been reminding my advisor the deadlines were rapidly approaching, but she somehow didn't realize it, and now I can't get in the manuscript before the deadline and spring graduation. Anyway long story short, I don't have enough time for writing and edits for me to finish by the end of this semester, but I'm going to walk in May and then I'll be done by end of May/June 1 at the latest according to my defense timeline, so I'll technically be graduating this summer. As long as I'm done by August it's not a big deal, but I really don't want to rush from one degree to another.

Ahhhhhhh, I think we're in the same boat! Just as I was about to turn a draft into my advisor, I realized that I'd made a huge mistake in my STATA model, so my project is now a month behind and a lot more complex. I have no life.

I'm using SAS so I really so think we're in similar situations......my advisor wants me to run regressions on everything, over and over, using different programs (proc reg, proc stepwise, etc, if you're familiar with SAS). It's taken about two extra months and it has really put me behind, constantly changing my regression model week by week. :( Anyway, I'm just happy to almost be done with it, since I finalized my model last Friday (finally!)

DeeCee

Postby DeeCee » Mon Mar 21, 2011 2:51 pm

SupraVln180 wrote:
Yikes! Good luck DeeCee. Do you know which ASW you're attending yet?

I am pretty sure it will be April 8th.

Moral_Midgetry

Postby Moral_Midgetry » Mon Mar 21, 2011 3:03 pm

Just got a e-mail from UNC Law.... about ASD.. not scholarships. RSVPing for the 8th.

labballin24

Postby labballin24 » Mon Mar 21, 2011 3:07 pm

Say I get accepted into UNC tomorrow(fingers crossed). What's the chances I hear about scholarship info before April 1st, when my deposit is due for Wake Forest? Anyone know from past experiences with the amount of time they take to award scholarships?

I would much rather go to UNC, but I can't pass up Wake's offer with all this uncertainty.

beccabea

Postby beccabea » Mon Mar 21, 2011 3:30 pm

Last edited by beccabea on Tue Apr 05, 2011 2:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

borntorun86

Postby borntorun86 » Mon Mar 21, 2011 5:06 pm

No luck today with the UNC prof, partially because I didn't want to be "that guy" with admissions and partially because we didn't have time. I'm emailing another UNC Law prof (who wrote me a LoR) to see what's up.

Jeffro

Postby Jeffro » Mon Mar 21, 2011 6:39 pm

beccabea wrote:I don't know, I'm more confident that they'll get going this week. The fact that they were sending out scholarship info at 10:30 on a Sunday night suggests to me that the gravity of the situation is getting to them now.

EDIT: Plus, when whoever that was called this week, the lady was insistent that another wave would go out this week. When I called last week, the lady said that they were "doing what they could" and that they just "kept getting sidetracked."
Seriously, just minus 1000 points to UNC for this whole process.

I think it really has been the most troubling school, for so many people at least, of any that I have been able to gather from TLS and elsewhere. If I was part of a smaller group still waiting, I would just figure it was something about me and move on. I know many of you on here are die hard UNC fans, but the overall slowness has been really getting to me. I also just spoke with a very good friend who is a recent graduate - they had nothing good to say about the Career Services Office too. It just makes me wonder about what is going on there and what it will mean for those who go.

Damn me for being in-state. Damn UNC for being Carolina and me still wanting to go no matter what, despite these possible warnings I'm getting.

innernetp

Postby innernetp » Mon Mar 21, 2011 7:55 pm

Jeffro wrote:
beccabea wrote:I don't know, I'm more confident that they'll get going this week. The fact that they were sending out scholarship info at 10:30 on a Sunday night suggests to me that the gravity of the situation is getting to them now.

EDIT: Plus, when whoever that was called this week, the lady was insistent that another wave would go out this week. When I called last week, the lady said that they were "doing what they could" and that they just "kept getting sidetracked."
Seriously, just minus 1000 points to UNC for this whole process.

I think it really has been the most troubling school, for so many people at least, of any that I have been able to gather from TLS and elsewhere. If I was part of a smaller group still waiting, I would just figure it was something about me and move on. I know many of you on here are die hard UNC fans, but the overall slowness has been really getting to me. I also just spoke with a very good friend who is a recent graduate - they had nothing good to say about the Career Services Office too. It just makes me wonder about what is going on there and what it will mean for those who go.

Damn me for being in-state. Damn UNC for being Carolina and me still wanting to go no matter what, despite these possible warnings I'm getting.

+1. Since I'm very seriously considering Carolina I'm scared about who's going to be my peer here... as in, who's happy to put up with this? I'm being treated similarly by Wash U and frankly might withdraw before I hear back from them because I'm so annoyed.

queenlizzie13

Postby queenlizzie13 » Mon Mar 21, 2011 8:02 pm

^USC has been the most frustrating for me...I know there are a couple of other schools that have made people wait forever.

But, yeah I feel your pain. Albeit with a different school. And I am in-state at USC as well...

I think since so many of their students come from in-state with people not wanting to leave that you will still get a good class. I probably won't be joining you guys - just got a scholarship offer from CU (my top choice) so unless UNC offers me one, I won't be going in the fall.

And yes I know UNC is seen as a better school, but I really can't see myself living in NC forever. However, I do have a lot of CA connections, so I could probably get back, but don't want to chance it on that alone.
Last edited by queenlizzie13 on Mon Mar 21, 2011 8:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

LEPinBOS

Postby LEPinBOS » Mon Mar 21, 2011 8:03 pm

I look at it differently. UNC protects its yield as well as anyone in the country. That's how they keep their high-20, low-30 ranking. Part of their approach, it seems, is slowly admitting students to see who accepts, who doesn't accept. With that, they know who they need to offer, and they offer as few people as possible.

Am I anxious? Well, of course I am. Maybe sometimes that translates into being annoyed. I've woken up in the early morning every night for three weeks. I really, really want to graduate from UNC.

But in the big picture, I know my waiting (and hopeful acceptance) is worth it in the long run. Meaning, I need UNC ranked as high as possible when I graduate.
Last edited by LEPinBOS on Tue Mar 22, 2011 3:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

beccabea

Postby beccabea » Mon Mar 21, 2011 8:04 pm

DeeCee

Postby DeeCee » Mon Mar 21, 2011 8:11 pm

ugh I hate arguing with people like I'm doing right now in another thread. This is why I <3 the UNC thread; it's my happy place where people tend to get along and be friendly.

Moral_Midgetry

Postby Moral_Midgetry » Mon Mar 21, 2011 8:14 pm

beccabea wrote:Anyway, after last night's handful of scholarships at 10:30, we can't really write them off as not sending anything for the day just because it's past 7:00.

I really wish they would not have done that. Now I'm going to constantly check my e-mail from 7 AM - 11 PM daily. I feel like a slave to my phone.

innernetp

Postby innernetp » Mon Mar 21, 2011 8:18 pm

beccabea wrote:
innernetp wrote:+1. Since I'm very seriously considering Carolina I'm scared about who's going to be my peer here... as in, who's happy to put up with this? I'm being treated similarly by Wash U and frankly might withdraw before I hear back from them because I'm so annoyed.

Really? They let me in without problem, and you've got a more impressive resume than I have.

Anyway, after last night's handful of scholarships at 10:30, we can't really write them off as not sending anything for the day just because it's past 7:00.

Well, Innernetp, at the very worst we could end up with a really small, cozy class..

Yeah, for Wash U they have a clear wall of death at my LSAT unless your GPA is very high. It's annoying - I applied back in November but people who couldn't get it together until January are being admitted already. If I had been accepted in a timely manner I'd be able to schedule a tour and actually consider them, but, that's just not going to happen so I wonder what the point is of me staying on. I think the reason I wasn't as peeved by the wait time for USC is that I didn't feel like people with higher numbers were getting priority treatment despite my early application time. Though its system is also a bit odd.

And those are interesting points. I wouldn't mind a cozy class at all. :-) I keep telling myself that if UNC law is anything like undergrad it's extremely underrated because the intangibles (and some of the not-hyped-enough tangibles) are outstanding... but... I realize that's like comparing apples and oranges.

Jeffro

Postby Jeffro » Mon Mar 21, 2011 8:19 pm

innernetp wrote:+1. Since I'm very seriously considering Carolina I'm scared about who's going to be my peer here... as in, who's happy to put up with this? I'm being treated similarly by Wash U and frankly might withdraw before I hear back from them because I'm so annoyed.
LEPinBOS wrote:I look at it differently. UNC protects its yield as well as anyone in the country. That's how they keep their high-20, low-30 ranking. Part of their approach, it seems, is slowly admitting students to see who accepts, who doesn't accept. With that, they know who they need to offer, and they offer as few people as possible.
I don't even view this treatment as intentionally negative really. I also don't think they try to play the rankings, as I've heard their admissions leadership despises USNWR, so any yield issues to me mean it's for their own reasons (which regardless might help the USNWR ranking). Basically I just think there's some sort of issue keeping them from getting things together. I definitely understand issuing as few acceptances as possible and applaud that. Schools should really try to find the very best candidates that they think are really going to matriculate. Everything just makes me wonder if this is a rudderless ship (i.e., what could possibly be the "distraction" from admitting people less than 1 month before deposits?). Taking it in the aggregate (this years cycle, my own conversations with several UNC Law graduates, a phone conversation I had with admissions, etc.) is starting to cast some doubts.

innernetp

Postby innernetp » Mon Mar 21, 2011 8:26 pm

Jeffro wrote:
LEPinBOS wrote:I look at it differently. UNC protects its yield as well as anyone in the country. That's how they keep their high-20, low-30 ranking. Part of their approach, it seems, is slowly admitting students to see who accepts, who doesn't accept. With that, they know who they need to offer, and they offer as few people as possible.
I don't even view this treatment as intentionally negative really. I also don't think they try to play the rankings, as I've heard their admissions leadership despises USNWR, so any yield issues to me mean it's for their own reasons (which regardless might help the USNWR ranking). Basically I just think there's some sort of issue keeping them from getting things together. I definitely understand issuing as few acceptances as possible and applaud that. Schools should really try to find the very best candidates that they think are really going to matriculate. Everything just makes me wonder if this is a rudderless ship (i.e., what could possibly be the "distraction" from admitting people less than 1 month before deposits?). Taking it in the aggregate (this years cycle, my own conversations with several UNC Law graduates, a phone conversation I had with admissions, etc.) is starting to cast some doubts.

Right. I don't disagree with you, by using 'treatment' it does sound intentional/deliberate and I don't think that's what it is. If I had to guess, and I actually feel very confident about this, I would say that the new MyUNC system might be responsible for this waiting time. I have no idea the ramifications of the switch-over for the law school, but it has been a gigantic headache for undergrad. We're talking study-abroad information totally disappearing, same with AP scores, newly (as in within the past two years) declared majors reverting back to the old ones, shit storm after shit storm. It's pretty terrible and people in advising don't even really know how to deal with it. It's not that I don't give them the benefit of the doubt, but I still worry about what the consequences are. Maybe there aren't any.

In unrelated news I've found some happy **s for my honors thesis! Yay!

beccabea

Postby beccabea » Mon Mar 21, 2011 10:18 pm

rivkah

Postby rivkah » Mon Mar 21, 2011 10:19 pm

Current Status: Application Complete, Ready for Review
Current Status Date: 12/17/2010

Come on UNC give me some news, or at least a new status change to stare at with longing eyes! :)

Jeffro

Postby Jeffro » Mon Mar 21, 2011 10:36 pm

beccabea wrote:What kinds of conversations have you had with UNC Law graduates, other than the one who complained about Career Services? Here's what I got on the "UNC 1L Taking Questions" board:

IHateFoxHunting wrote:I would be shocked if you found more than 1 or 2 in the entire school. I have never heard a single soul mention any sort of distaste for UNC (gripes about parking yes, but not unhappy with attending UNC). I think we only have 1 or 2 students transfer out per year, so take what you want from that.
The things I've heard revolve around the CSO and reinforce each other. One said they only focus on public interest and big firms. They have little to no contacts with small or medium sized firms that might specialize in areas that grads may be interested in, even within major markets in NC. Other NC schools do and help their grads secure those jobs to a much higher degree. The other grad pointed out that UNC's focus on public interest hurts opportunities for grads who happen to want to go somewhere else, like if your interests change during law school. This is all anecdotal, but both are practicing lawyers that I fully trust to be honest about their recent experiences with job searches.

Both definitely confirmed that they do not regret having gone to UNC Law, they just wish there were more options available to them essentially.

beccabea

Postby beccabea » Mon Mar 21, 2011 11:21 pm

Last edited by beccabea on Tue Apr 05, 2011 2:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

borntorun86

Postby borntorun86 » Mon Mar 21, 2011 11:44 pm

JUST WENT UNDER REVIEW. 3/21.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”