UNC 2011 Applicants

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
Capitalist

Re: UNC 2011 Applicants

Postby Capitalist » Sun Mar 20, 2011 2:33 pm

Moral_Midgetry wrote:
DubPoker wrote:That was a crazy 7.5 seconds

Wow. Henson did everything he could to keep UW in the game. But in the end it's a Tar Heel victory. Clutch free throws by Strickland, and he played great D on Thomas. He gets my game ball.

Survive and advance.

Go Heels!!!

Go Wolverines, beat Dook!!!

DeeCee

Postby DeeCee » Sun Mar 20, 2011 2:34 pm

beccabea wrote:
I guess there just aren't enough admitted students yet to populate the UNC Class of 2014 thread.

THIS. I bet this is the reason the 2014 thread doesn't have much movement. UNC must have a lot of people they accept matriculate, as slow as they roll out acceptances.

Anyone made any final decisions about ASD? I'm pretty much planning on the 8th, since I think I'll be slammed with work around the 15th. I look forward to seeing you guys there!

Oh, and HELL YES about the game. Washington played well until the very end; I was a little nervous about us for those last several seconds!

borntorun86

Postby borntorun86 » Sun Mar 20, 2011 2:43 pm

DeeCee wrote:
beccabea wrote:
I guess there just aren't enough admitted students yet to populate the UNC Class of 2014 thread.

THIS. I bet this is the reason the 2014 thread doesn't have much movement. UNC must have a lot of people they accept matriculate, as slow as they roll out acceptances.

Anyone made any final decisions about ASD? I'm pretty much planning on the 8th, since I think I'll be slammed with work around the 15th. I look forward to seeing you guys there!

Oh, and HELL YES about the game. Washington played well until the very end; I was a little nervous about us for those last several seconds!

I forgot how hard it is to do work when your team's in the tourney...last year was an anomoly as the NIT doesn't count. I'm talking to you, Seth Greenberg.

I'm sure the above theory about matriculation is true, especially given that ~70% of each class is instate. If I get in I'm definitely going to the April 8th ASD (I'm out of town on the 15th).

DeeCee

Postby DeeCee » Sun Mar 20, 2011 2:52 pm

borntorun86 wrote:

I'm sure the above theory about matriculation is true, especially given that ~70% of each class is instate. If I get in I'm definitely going to the April 8th ASD (I'm out of town on the 15th).

I know this is a weird question, but can you go to ASD if you're not accepted yet? Because it's looking like that kind of scenario for some people ITT.

DeeCee

Postby DeeCee » Sun Mar 20, 2011 4:02 pm

While writing a paper on the invasive Saltcedar species today, I am currently thinking to myself how excited I am about law school. Mainly because I am sooooo tired of writing all of my papers on the same topics (my MA thesis advisor makes me do this). I would love to branch out and study some new topics, like maybe the Loblolly Pine or something (sorry, bad plant biology joke).

Capitalist

Postby Capitalist » Sun Mar 20, 2011 4:23 pm

DeeCee wrote:While writing a paper on the invasive Saltcedar species today, I am currently thinking to myself how excited I am about law school. Mainly because I am sooooo tired of writing all of my papers on the same topics (my MA thesis advisor makes me do this). I would love to branch out and study some new topics, like maybe the Loblolly Pine or something (sorry, bad plant biology joke).

DeeCee, I chuckled. :lol:

Capitalist

Postby Capitalist » Sun Mar 20, 2011 5:15 pm

Well, it was so close to being a perfect Sunday on the hardwood. Michigan had their chances. :evil:

Now, on to the topic of admissions. I think we'll begin to see a pretty good amount of decisions roll out this week. Just call it a hunch. 8)

beccabea

Postby beccabea » Sun Mar 20, 2011 5:29 pm

Last edited by beccabea on Tue Apr 05, 2011 2:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Capitalist

Postby Capitalist » Sun Mar 20, 2011 6:07 pm

beccabea wrote:
Capitalist wrote:Now, on to the topic of admissions. I think we'll begin to see a pretty good amount of decisions roll out this week. Just call it a hunch. 8)

Is it actually just a hunch, or do you just want us to call it one?

Oh, it's a hunch. :wink:

borntorun86

Postby borntorun86 » Sun Mar 20, 2011 6:11 pm

Capitalist wrote:
beccabea wrote:
Capitalist wrote:Now, on to the topic of admissions. I think we'll begin to see a pretty good amount of decisions roll out this week. Just call it a hunch. 8)

LOL, doesn't really answer the question.

In other news, my Sunday has been entirely unproductive due to Carolina eeking out a nailbiter and U of M (go Blue!) giving Mike Kaskldjralhtsahlkazi a hernia during the second game.

DeeCee

Postby DeeCee » Sun Mar 20, 2011 6:22 pm

borntorun86 wrote:Mike Kaskldjralhtsahlkazi

lmao........she-shev-ski is the pronunciation but I have no idea how the hell you spell it either! lol

borntorun86

Postby borntorun86 » Sun Mar 20, 2011 6:26 pm

DeeCee wrote:

lmao........she-shev-ski is the pronunciation but I have no idea how the hell you spell it either! lol

I remember him being in an early 90's commercial highlighting this. He was a limo driver or something.

DeeCee

Postby DeeCee » Sun Mar 20, 2011 6:30 pm

borntorun86 wrote:
DeeCee wrote:

I remember him being in an early 90's commercial highlighting this. He was a limo driver or something.

He should go back to limo driving commercials. And take the Cameron Crazies with him.
of course if he left who would I hate? NC STTTate?

Capitalist

Postby Capitalist » Sun Mar 20, 2011 6:32 pm

DeeCee wrote:NC STTTate?

Awesome.

skw

Postby skw » Sun Mar 20, 2011 7:33 pm

Last edited by skw on Tue Mar 22, 2011 3:53 pm, edited 2 times in total.

denniscrane

Postby denniscrane » Sun Mar 20, 2011 7:36 pm

Capitalist wrote:
beccabea wrote:

does hunch imply knowing something we dont? that would be cool.

Moral_Midgetry

Postby Moral_Midgetry » Sun Mar 20, 2011 7:42 pm

skw wrote:Totally unrelated: I'd be interested in what some of you think of my chances for UNC admission. I posted a separate thread on my bio, but I'll put it here in summary: I'm a non-trad (12 years out of school) 160 LSAT 3.83 GPA, IS, successful in my field (biotech/business background) with LORs from high level execs at 2 companies. I appreciate it if any of you have an opinion on my chances. I'm so anxious and cannot wait to hear so I can stop wondering.

If you are IS I think you are likely in, however, if you are OOS it is a crap shoot.

DeeCee

Postby DeeCee » Sun Mar 20, 2011 7:47 pm

Moral_Midgetry wrote:
If you are IS I think you are likely in, however, if you are OOS it is a crap shoot.

definitely this.

borntorun86

Postby borntorun86 » Sun Mar 20, 2011 7:59 pm

skw wrote:I'm new to this thread, but thought I could shed a little light on what is rumored to be going on with UNC Admissions. I live in the area and met another UNC applicant at an ASD for another local school. She is a UNC undergrad and she has a UNC PreLaw advisor, so she has the 'inside scoop' on the Admissions process (or lack there-of). Anyhow, she told me that Carolina's Admissions team had a large round of admits slated for acceptance that was supposed to go out last Wednesday. They missed that deadline and pushed it to last Friday. They missed that deadline and are now shooting for 'early the week of 3/21'. So, I think we can expect a decent chunk of decisions to trickle down us lowly 0Ls in a week or two. (Late and tight for ASD, I know and agree -- preaching to the choir I'm sure). So that's what I heard.

A high-level UNC Law prof is coming to our class tomorrow to talk about flood insurance; I'll try and confirm this.

beccabea

Postby beccabea » Sun Mar 20, 2011 8:09 pm

beccabea

Postby beccabea » Sun Mar 20, 2011 8:11 pm

borntorun86

Postby borntorun86 » Sun Mar 20, 2011 8:29 pm

beccabea wrote:
beccabea wrote:It looks like they do have a pretty high rate of matriculation: according to US News, last year they got 254 out 546 they admitted (47%), compared to 24% at Emory, 36% at UGA, 18% at W&M, 25% at GW, 18% at Vanderbilt, and 23% at Duke. And these are schools I totally picked at random (except for UGA and W&M, I picked them because they were state schools and of comparable prestige to UNC) and not because I already knew they had a lower matriculation rate than UNC. This could of course be influenced by factors that I don't know about, not being an admissions official or anything, but it seems to me that UNC is a pretty damned tempting choice to a lot of people.

*Dook. Wow, I totally can't spell.

Yet more evidence that we're better than dook.

DeeCee

Postby DeeCee » Sun Mar 20, 2011 8:30 pm

beccabea wrote:
beccabea wrote:It looks like they do have a pretty high rate of matriculation: according to US News, last year they got 254 out 546 they admitted (47%), compared to 24% at Emory, 36% at UGA, 18% at W&M, 25% at GW, 18% at Vanderbilt, and 23% at Duke. And these are schools I totally picked at random (except for UGA and W&M, I picked them because they were state schools and of comparable prestige to UNC) and not because I already knew they had a lower matriculation rate than UNC. This could of course be influenced by factors that I don't know about, not being an admissions official or anything, but it seems to me that UNC is a pretty damned tempting choice to a lot of people.

*Dook. Wow, I totally can't spell.

price + good name and decent rank = win, and why I am going to UNC.

Dook has national prestige, but I'm NOT going there because:
Dook = very high price - uppityness - not quite ivy league - higher LSAT requirements

who needs a wannabe ivy when you can go to a public ivy anyways :mrgreen:

LEPinBOS

Postby LEPinBOS » Sun Mar 20, 2011 8:35 pm

skw wrote:I'm new to this thread, but thought I could shed a little light on what is rumored to be going on with UNC Admissions. I live in the area and met another UNC applicant at an ASD for another local school. She is a UNC undergrad and she has a UNC PreLaw advisor, so she has the 'inside scoop' on the Admissions process (or lack there-of). Anyhow, she told me that Carolina's Admissions team had a large round of admits slated for acceptance that was supposed to go out last Wednesday. They missed that deadline and pushed it to last Friday. They missed that deadline and are now shooting for 'early the week of 3/21'. So, I think we can expect a decent chunk of decisions to trickle down us lowly 0Ls in a week or two. (Late and tight for ASD, I know and agree -- preaching to the choir I'm sure). So that's what I heard.

Totally unrelated: I'd be interested in what some of you think of my chances for UNC admission. I posted a separate thread on my bio, but I'll put it here in summary: I'm a non-trad (12 years out of school) 160 LSAT 3.83 GPA, IS, successful in my field (biotech/business background) with LORs from high level execs at 2 companies. I appreciate it if any of you have an opinion on my chances. I'm so anxious and cannot wait to hear so I can stop wondering.

any indication for why they keep missing deadlines? this is not a shot against the bow at unc admissions. i think they do a good job. i'm curious, however, if their reason for missing deadlines can shed light into what's going on with the bigger picture.

Capitalist

Postby Capitalist » Sun Mar 20, 2011 8:43 pm

LEPinBOS wrote:any indication for why they keep missing deadlines? this is not a shot against the bow at unc admissions. i think they do a good job. i'm curious, however, if their reason for missing deadlines can shed light into what's going on with the bigger picture.

I think someone on an earlier page mentioned that they were also updating software or something like that. That may be a partial reason for the delay.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”