UNC 2011 Applicants Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
beccabea

Bronze

Re: UNC 2011 Applicants

Post by beccabea » Sat Apr 30, 2011 11:33 pm

TheFactor wrote:Yeah, I sent them an email about a month ago to make sure my app wasn't missing anything. They assured me that it wasn't and that I would have a decision by May 1st.
Maybe they meant by the end of the day on May 1st?

TheFactor

Silver

Post by TheFactor » Sun May 01, 2011 12:01 am

beccabea wrote:
TheFactor wrote:Yeah, I sent them an email about a month ago to make sure my app wasn't missing anything. They assured me that it wasn't and that I would have a decision by May 1st.
Maybe they meant by the end of the day on May 1st?
haha maybe so. Kinda crazy that it has taken 7 months to make a decision on an app

YouDontKnowMe

Bronze

Post by YouDontKnowMe » Sun May 01, 2011 1:50 pm

Are all the people still at 'Pending' on LSN that way because they never got around to updating or because there's actually that big of a chunk of people still waiting for a decision on the day UNC set as its final deadline?????

I LOVE YOU UNC BUT WHAT THE HELL ARE YOU DOING

I'm 100% serious, someone who hasn't heard yet should call today. They'd better be in there working their asses off.

Jeffro

Bronze

Post by Jeffro » Sun May 01, 2011 2:52 pm

YouDontKnowMe wrote:Are all the people still at 'Pending' on LSN that way because they never got around to updating or because there's actually that big of a chunk of people still waiting for a decision on the day UNC set as its final deadline?????

I LOVE YOU UNC BUT WHAT THE HELL ARE YOU DOING

I'm 100% serious, someone who hasn't heard yet should call today. They'd better be in there working their asses off.
Off of the top of my head, I know that at least one of the 'Pending' usernames on LSN matches someone who has reported being waitlisted ITT. That is probably the case for some others. Whoever is left could very well be rejections come tomorrow morning, unfortunately. According to the data on lsac.org, UNC does not end up admitting a large amount of numerically qualified people each year, so who knows if even those above the medians are still in the running. This is just speculation and I'm not wishing it on anyone, it's just likely the case - unless UNC intends to waitlist almost everyone they don't admit. That's entirely possible too, what with UNC's "unique" admissions office etiquette.

It's probably just part of the "nice weeding out strategy" you mentioned earlier. Have you heard anything yet YouDont?

2things2

Bronze

Post by 2things2 » Sun May 01, 2011 5:25 pm

look at allll those waitlisters on LSN. and you know there are at least twice as many as that. ouch.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

beccabea

Bronze

Post by beccabea » Sun May 01, 2011 10:01 pm

No one heard anything today? :|

Jeffro

Bronze

Post by Jeffro » Sun May 01, 2011 10:42 pm

beccabea wrote:No one heard anything today? :|
You will have to pry application decisions from their cold, dead hands. Besides, government employees do NOT work on Sundays!

New

Post by 20140606 » Mon May 02, 2011 12:28 am

I'm in Iran til May 10 and starting to think "What if they call me and offer me a spot and I'm not home to answer the phone yet!?!" and then I have a stroke, hahaha

DeeCee

Silver

Post by DeeCee » Mon May 02, 2011 12:39 am

lolrskates wrote:I'm in Iran til May 10 and starting to think "What if they call me and offer me a spot and I'm not home to answer the phone yet!?!" and then I have a stroke, hahaha
Call them and tell them that you are out of the country, but if they decide to take you off of the waitlist you will immediately accept, and to please contact you at.......(insert number/email here). That should get their attention!

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

YouDontKnowMe

Bronze

Post by YouDontKnowMe » Mon May 02, 2011 12:58 am

I'm accepted and attending, Jeffro, but UNC's caused me some stress too.

I'm just really disappointed in the admissions office for missing their deadline. I feel like they're hurting UNC's PR and reputation, and I'm angry at them for it.

beccabea

Bronze

Post by beccabea » Mon May 02, 2011 1:02 am

lolrskates wrote:I'm in Iran til May 10 and starting to think "What if they call me and offer me a spot and I'm not home to answer the phone yet!?!" and then I have a stroke, hahaha
I haven't talked to anyone who's been accepted off the waitlist, lolrskates, but from my experience UNC does 98% of its correspondence via email.

TheFactor

Silver

Post by TheFactor » Mon May 02, 2011 1:07 am

I'm going to lay into someone at the admissions office tomorrow. This is absurd.

Jeffro

Bronze

Post by Jeffro » Mon May 02, 2011 3:16 am

DeeCee wrote:
Call them and tell them that you are out of the country, but if they decide to take you off of the waitlist you will immediately accept, and to please contact you at.......(insert number/email here). That should get their attention!
Despite everything we have been told, I just don't think they really care. They have certain numbers/applicants they go for and they've got their initial batch of them. C'est la vie at this point. Telling them you REALLY REALLY like them is not going to matter.
YouDontKnowMe wrote:I'm accepted and attending, Jeffro, but UNC's caused me some stress too.

I'm just really disappointed in the admissions office for missing their deadline. I feel like they're hurting UNC's PR and reputation, and I'm angry at them for it.
YouDont, glad to hear you got in. Everyone else, just be honest with UNC and tell them that you were, in fact, part of the outer cordon of the highly classified inner/outer cordon designed to take down Osama bin Laden and they should take you because you agree to pay full out-of-state sticker, regardless of your in-state status, and to write a law review note exploring the fact that you may or not fulfill the student body criteria they are looking for:
Dean States - admissionsdean.com wrote:"And so if we’re looking at our class at a particular time during the summer and we’re at 65% residents and 35% non-residents, then I know I need to add some residents. And, if it looks like we are 70% men and 30% women, then I need to know that I need to add residents who are also women. When this happens, I may then look to see if the pool of resident women come from undergraduate schools we typically draw from, but perhaps don’t already have someone from -- then the question becomes: “can we add resident women from those schools?” So, again, we use our waitlist to affect the profile of the class we are looking to bring in, instead of simply taking people in order to fill empty seats."
And then mention that you have a copy of the video when they buried his body at sea and can end all possible conspiracy theories yet to even be devised. It probably still won't matter. We are no longer numbers, just characteristics...oh the injustice of it all.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

SteelyDan

Bronze

Post by SteelyDan » Mon May 02, 2011 9:50 am

May 2. Still ready for review.

Guy in the admissions office said my app didn't have a status, but promised to have Dean States call me when he gets out of a meeting. At this point I don't care, I've already committed to another school, but I want my damn $75 back.

UPDATE:
Deans States called... he apologized that there had been some kind of residency error with my application and said because of that it was never reviewed. He cleared whatever the error was and met with the admissions committee immediately to look at my app.

Long story short, I am admitted, but he can't give me a solid answer on scholarship money until next week (I guess there's a deposit due today?). I told him flat-out that without money there's no chance I'm coming, which he seemed to understand. I expressed my frustration with the process and he said that my case appears to be unique.

SO - if you haven't heard yet, definitely call. He said he was surprised when they told him I called about not getting a response.

New

Post by 20140606 » Mon May 02, 2011 11:35 am

SteelyDan wrote:May 2. Still ready for review.

Guy in the admissions office said my app didn't have a status, but promised to have Dean States call me when he gets out of a meeting. At this point I don't care, I've already committed to another school, but I want my damn $75 back.

UPDATE:
Deans States called... he apologized that there had been some kind of residency error with my application and said because of that it was never reviewed. He cleared whatever the error was and met with the admissions committee immediately to look at my app.

Long story short, I am admitted, but he can't give me a solid answer on scholarship money until next week (I guess there's a deposit due today?). I told him flat-out that without money there's no chance I'm coming, which he seemed to understand. I expressed my frustration with the process and he said that my case appears to be unique.

SO - if you haven't heard yet, definitely call. He said he was surprised when they told him I called about not getting a response.
That's kind of awesome, means there's definitely open spots for someone like meeeeeee

beccabea

Bronze

Post by beccabea » Mon May 02, 2011 11:56 am

SteelyDan wrote:Deans States called... he apologized that there had been some kind of residency error with my application and said because of that it was never reviewed. He cleared whatever the error was and met with the admissions committee immediately to look at my app.

Congrats!! But really, your case is unique? You're definitely not the only one who didn't hear before today, so I wonder what the deal is with all the other people. You were definitely right to call, and I think that anyone who hasn't heard yet should as well.

New

Post by 20140606 » Wed May 04, 2011 12:11 am

Dunno if anyone cares but they e-mailed me telling me they had put my LOCI, which I mailed a few weeks ago now, in my file. My guess is this means they're already getting ready to take a cursory glance at the WL, getting everything in order and whatnot for that late May trickle.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

TheFactor

Silver

Post by TheFactor » Wed May 04, 2011 3:00 am

Called yesterday and talked with Dean States. Was admitted about an hour later with $$.

East Coast Law

New

Post by East Coast Law » Wed May 04, 2011 6:52 am

Last edited by East Coast Law on Wed May 04, 2011 11:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

dddhhh

Bronze

Post by dddhhh » Wed May 04, 2011 9:39 am

TheFactor wrote:Called yesterday and talked with Dean States. Was admitted about an hour later with $$.
Congrats! Did you call his direct # or get lucky with the secretary?

Capitalist

Bronze

Post by Capitalist » Wed May 04, 2011 9:57 am

Does anyone know when the deposit deadlines are? I think some of them may have been pushed back to later dates. I'm trying to get an idea when we might see some WL movement.

Gracias.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

SteelyDan

Bronze

Post by SteelyDan » Wed May 04, 2011 10:03 am

Capitalist wrote:Does anyone know when the deposit deadlines are? I think some of them may have been pushed back to later dates. I'm trying to get an idea when we might see some WL movement.

Gracias.
Dean States said there was a deposit deadline Monday, so he was hoping to let people know about scholly redistribution by next week. Don't know if it'll be that soon for the WL also.

However, this is from the email I got Monday:
In order to reserve a seat at the University of North Carolina School of Law, you must pay an initial seat deposit of $250.00 by May 20, 2011 and a second deposit of $100.00 by June 13, 2011. You can pay your seat deposit online by going to the following link
https://admitted.law.unc.edu/default.aspx.

Mach 26

New

Post by Mach 26 » Wed May 04, 2011 12:05 pm

TheFactor wrote:Called yesterday and talked with Dean States. Was admitted about an hour later with $$.
Congrats on the acceptance and the money! Gives all of us some hope...

beccabea

Bronze

Post by beccabea » Wed May 04, 2011 12:53 pm

Awesome!! Do you think you'll be at UNC next year, TheFactor?

TheFactor

Silver

Post by TheFactor » Wed May 04, 2011 3:28 pm

dddhhh wrote:
Congrats! Did you call his direct # or get lucky with the secretary?
direct #

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”