UNC 2011 Applicants Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
Moral_Midgetry

Silver

Re: UNC 2011 Applicants

Post by Moral_Midgetry » Thu Mar 31, 2011 3:39 pm

DeeCee wrote:
Moral_Midgetry wrote:Registered for the April 15th ASD.

I had originally planned on attending the April 8th ASD but I have a work conflict. I'm a little disappointed I won't get to meet some of you regulars until August. Any other April 15thers?
This is BS. You were supposed to come to the April 8th one!! What kind of law student are you if you have those things called "Work Conflicts"?? :lol: :P
I know, you all must be so disappointed. 8)

DeeCee

Silver

Post by DeeCee » Thu Mar 31, 2011 3:39 pm

pokerlaw wrote:
Capitalist wrote:
sUkNoIrzTforEall wrote:On that note, I spoke with the office, and the first round of admits (April 1) is over, apparently.

It is likely true that they still have 140 spaces left before they start WL/rejecting, but no new admits till next week, I was told.
Shit. :(
:(
yep.

tarheel125

New

Post by tarheel125 » Thu Mar 31, 2011 3:40 pm

:!:
Last edited by tarheel125 on Thu Mar 31, 2011 4:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

sUkNoIrzTforEall

New

Post by sUkNoIrzTforEall » Thu Mar 31, 2011 3:40 pm

One more month is not all that long, I 'spose. At least they have a self-imposed deadline, unlike (ahem, SoCal) some schools. Always darkest before the dawn. Once more into the fray, good friends...

DubPoker

Bronze

Post by DubPoker » Thu Mar 31, 2011 3:41 pm

tarheel125 wrote:Both. :?

BUT, i'll take it over a rejection and still holding on to some hope....
not to out you, but when did you apply? and what were your scores like?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

gogamecocks

New

Post by gogamecocks » Thu Mar 31, 2011 3:41 pm

sUkNoIrzTforEall wrote:On that note, I spoke with the office, and the first round of admits (April 1) is over, apparently.

It is likely true that they still have 140 spaces left before they start WL/rejecting, but no new admits till next week, I was told.
If that's true, that makes no sense to me. If they have spots to give, why aren't they giving them. Why are they stopping now. Why the hell am I waiting until next week to get my waitlist/rejection?

DeeCee

Silver

Post by DeeCee » Thu Mar 31, 2011 3:41 pm

tarheel125 wrote:Both. :?

BUT, i'll take it over a rejection and still holding on to some hope....
Numbers, if you don't mind sharing?
If you don't want to share it's cool. There's still hope for the WL come June/July, after those deposits are in. On TLS last year they took several waitlisters.

Capitalist

Bronze

Post by Capitalist » Thu Mar 31, 2011 3:43 pm

Well, let's hope it's at worst a WL.

protein

Bronze

Post by protein » Thu Mar 31, 2011 3:44 pm

got an email today with general info about unc, interesting tidbit about scholarships:

Scholarship awards

We have made our first round of scholarship offers via email. After we receive our first round of seat deposits, we will calculate how much of our scholarship budget has been spent. If there are funds remaining, we will award additional scholarships at that time. Only those who have submitted a seat deposit and have not yet received an award will be eligible at that time. We will not increase awards already made.

bold is mine

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

sUkNoIrzTforEall

New

Post by sUkNoIrzTforEall » Thu Mar 31, 2011 3:46 pm

The dean will be reading files tomorrow. Ya see, the files have to be read before acceptances can be awarded. That is why. They truly are working hard, they are just behind, and I would assume Dean States is very worn out.

I appreciate that they told me so that I am not chained to my computer like a slave waiting for a bread crumb from his master. Oh wait...

I'm disappointed too, but at least we have our TIME.

tarheel125

New

Post by tarheel125 » Thu Mar 31, 2011 4:16 pm

:idea:
Last edited by tarheel125 on Thu Mar 31, 2011 4:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

beccabea

Bronze

Post by beccabea » Thu Mar 31, 2011 4:35 pm

Last edited by beccabea on Tue Apr 05, 2011 2:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

fredgoodsell

New

Post by fredgoodsell » Thu Mar 31, 2011 4:41 pm

Long time lurker, first time posting.

My confusion stems from the fact that UNC said in an email early today that 140 acceptances would still go out in the first round (which concludes April 1, correct?), yet someone calling the office later today was told that the first round is over. Did 140 acceptances go out today or did the admissions committee change their mind abruptly this afternoon? Or am I missing something?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

sUkNoIrzTforEall

New

Post by sUkNoIrzTforEall » Thu Mar 31, 2011 4:45 pm

the confusion is over the meaning of "first round"--which the status checker clearly indicates as ending April 1.

if you look at the email, it only says this round, i believe

here's my guess: they ran out of time.

140 acceptances will still go out.

There will be no more decisions until next week.

EDIT: 'this first round' is what it says. but i think what Kott means is the first round is something different than what the status checker indicates.

super6

Bronze

Post by super6 » Thu Mar 31, 2011 5:21 pm

beccabea wrote:
Again, I don't think this is quite the case. I get the feeling that most of our negative perceptions are coming from the same person, the one who usually answers the phone. I've called the admissions office a million times with various questions, and only once have a gotten a blatantly unhelpful answer, but I do know that it's usually the same person on the other end of the line. Waiting is hard, but UNC's not the only school who hasn't gotten out all their decisions yet (know this from experience), and whatever feeling of superiority this one phone-answerer seems to be giving out (again, I'd bet anything that Dean States is doing what he can, but he's only one guy), it's not universal to the school or even to the administration. I spoke to the registrar lady earlier today and she was one of the most eager-to-help people I've ever spoken to -- she almost even made me late for class.
I applied to 17 schools, only Cornell and UNC haven't gotten back with me yet and even Cornell, which is notoriously slow, has been rolling out decisions over the past month. All the schools I applied to with a rank similar to UNC got back to me in under a month and here were are, 3 and a half months after I applied and the status checker hasn't even shown me under review.
My impression of the school has nothing to do with people on the phone (I only had to call once and it was something trivial). I just think it's crazy for them to take this long, especially since my numbers should make me an auto-admit (I realize that this sounds incredibly pompous, and it is, but realistically I got 75-100% scholarships at UNC's peer schools).
Right now Cornell is on track to get me a decision faster than UNC and there's just something wrong with that picture.

cay10789

New

Post by cay10789 » Thu Mar 31, 2011 5:55 pm

Just got my acceptance e-mail. I submitted my application on Feb. 28 because I only had the February LSAT to report. File was completed on March 15. In-state, major splitter. SOO STOKED!

MattThiessen

Bronze

Post by MattThiessen » Thu Mar 31, 2011 6:01 pm

cay10789 wrote:Just got my acceptance e-mail. I submitted my application on Feb. 28 because I only had the February LSAT to report. File was completed on March 15. In-state, major splitter. SOO STOKED!
All the "Complete, Ready for Review" since December people are going to hate you. That includes me.

But seriously, CONGRATS!

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

fredgoodsell

New

Post by fredgoodsell » Thu Mar 31, 2011 6:06 pm

cay10789 wrote:Just got my acceptance e-mail. I submitted my application on Feb. 28 because I only had the February LSAT to report. File was completed on March 15. In-state, major splitter. SOO STOKED!
Did you go under review first? Does this mean the first round is not over?

I'm really hoping Kotts or States pulls a King's Speech moment on this TLS thread and comforts us all.

skw

Bronze

Post by skw » Thu Mar 31, 2011 6:13 pm

Congratulations, CAY10789. Welcome to Carolina! Are you attending ASD on the 8th? If so, PM and we can exchange info -- I've 'met' a couple of other posters who are planning to attend. (The invite to PM is open to anyone who'd like to swap names pre-ASD as well :D )

To others waiting, perhaps more decisions are still being sent. Just because the decisions are 'made' and 'this round is over' doesn't necessarily mean that all the decisions have been sent yet. Fingers crossed for all of you!

Capitalist

Bronze

Post by Capitalist » Thu Mar 31, 2011 6:14 pm

fredgoodsell wrote:
I'm really hoping Kotts or States pulls a King's Speech moment on this TLS thread and comforts us all.
Haha +1. Awesome movie too.

Nailjohnj

Bronze

Post by Nailjohnj » Thu Mar 31, 2011 6:29 pm

All I am saying is that I went ready for review on Dec 15th, today is Mar 31st and I am STILL Ready for Review. It would have been nice to have a decision about whether I am in or not (like EVERY other school has given me) before I had to put in a seat deposit at another school so that I could make an informed decision about where I will be spending the next 3 years of my life and a significant amount of money...

Sorry... I know alot of people are in this exact same boat, but I just needed to vent about this whole process... Its screwing with my head...
And congrats to Cay about your acceptance! Way to go!

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

cay10789

New

Post by cay10789 » Thu Mar 31, 2011 7:18 pm

I went straight from 'ready for review' to 'decision rendered'. If there was a change in between, I didn't notice it and at most would have only been for about an hour.

As for ASW, I'm not sure I'll make it down. I grew up in Chapel Hill and my family still lives there (I go to college out of state), so I know the town and school pretty well.

I got both e-mails (acceptance and invitation) around 5:50, so with a 10 minute lag, my status was probably changed around 5:40.

Hope this is helpful. Good luck :)

DeeCee

Silver

Post by DeeCee » Thu Mar 31, 2011 7:46 pm

ahhh I HATE GIS. Can't wait until I'm done using it!

Sorry about that. Anyway, congrats to the new admits. Also, not sure who you guys always talk to on the phone in the admissions office, but the person I talked to was extremely straightforward, and also polite. I asked questions, the person gave me answers

beccabea

Bronze

Post by beccabea » Thu Mar 31, 2011 8:16 pm

Last edited by beccabea on Tue Apr 05, 2011 2:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

DeeCee

Silver

Post by DeeCee » Thu Mar 31, 2011 8:20 pm

So have you guys seen the rolling April Fool's joke about Ken selling TLS to US News? If not, look for it under active topics.

They are insisting (mods and Ken) it is not a joke. However, I'm sure things like this ALWAYS happen on April Fools-- right :?: :wink:

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”