UNC 2011 Applicants Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
fuzzman

New

Re: UNC 2011 Applicants

Post by fuzzman » Wed Mar 09, 2011 7:05 pm

Why does everyone think it's funny to refer to us jerseyans as if we're from "joyze"? The people who pronounce it that way are from Long Island, just like the people from the show Jersey Shore. Anyway, hopefully decisions come soon

borntorun86

Bronze

Post by borntorun86 » Wed Mar 09, 2011 7:17 pm

This is like waiting for Christmas except that you might get coal in your stocking and you don't know when Santa will show up.

In other news, black falcon = acc roy, Roy = acc coy!

(edit) btw, thanks for the tip!!!

haoledugan

Bronze

Post by haoledugan » Wed Mar 09, 2011 11:39 pm

fuzzman wrote:Why does everyone think it's funny to refer to us jerseyans as if we're from "joyze"? The people who pronounce it that way are from Long Island, just like the people from the show Jersey Shore. Anyway, hopefully decisions come soon
Didn't mean to offend :wink: I just thought it was kinda funny that someone from the north said the word "ya'll".

Capitalist

Bronze

Post by Capitalist » Wed Mar 09, 2011 11:48 pm

Which team do you guys prefer for the quarterfinal matchup on Friday: UVA or the U?

Personally, I'm hoping for the Wahoos. Even though the UVA game was close, it was the first conference game, and I think we can all agree the Tar Heel team that beatdown that group from Durham last Saturday is much better than they were in January. I think Miami matches up very well with us (athletic, quick guards, big post men, etc.), but if the Heels continue the way they've been playing, I think both teams (UVA and UM) would be in serious trouble.

borntorun86

Bronze

Post by borntorun86 » Thu Mar 10, 2011 12:00 am

Virginia, for a few reasons:

1) Miami doesn't belong in the ACC. Nothing like the legacy of Dwayne 'the Rock" Johnson to cement your football team's legacy from the 80's.
2) I like Tony Bennett. Classy dude, great backup for the Hornets in the early 90's.
3) As a Tar Heel, it's always nice to show the (insert profanity here) from C-ville who's boss. Seriously, UVA fans might be as annoying as Duke fans. Certainly the preppiest student body in the ACC.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Capitalist

Bronze

Post by Capitalist » Thu Mar 10, 2011 12:12 am

borntorun86 wrote:Virginia, for a few reasons:

1) Miami doesn't belong in the ACC. Nothing like the legacy of Dwayne 'the Rock" Johnson to cement your football team's legacy from the 80's.
2) I like Tony Bennett. Classy dude, great backup for the Hornets in the early 90's.
3) As a Tar Heel, it's always nice to show the (insert profanity here) from C-ville who's boss. Seriously, UVA fans might be as annoying as Duke fans. Certainly the preppiest student body in the ACC.
1) Haha..."Know your role, and SHUT your mouth!"
2) I agree about Bennett, seems like a solid guy, damn good coach too.
3) Being the "preppiest" is certainly better than being the "douchiest"(Duke) JMHO :D .

DeeCee

Silver

Post by DeeCee » Thu Mar 10, 2011 12:21 am

Capitalist wrote: 3) Being the "preppiest" is certainly better than being the "douchiest"(Duke) JMHO :D .
+1, :lol:. I'm such a Duke hater I applied to UNC and UVA, but not Duke because if just didn't feel right. When I told my family I was thinking of applying (they're huge UNC basketball fans) they told me I should set my sights on "better" schools, like UNC and Georgetown :lol: :lol: .

It's not like I had the LSAT to get in Duke, though, which also had a lot to do with my decision...

Go Heels!!

SupraVln180

Silver

Post by SupraVln180 » Thu Mar 10, 2011 12:53 am

DeeCee wrote:
Capitalist wrote: 3) Being the "preppiest" is certainly better than being the "douchiest"(Duke) JMHO :D .
+1, :lol:. I'm such a Duke hater I applied to UNC and UVA, but not Duke because if just didn't feel right. When I told my family I was thinking of applying (they're huge UNC basketball fans) they told me I should set my sights on "better" schools, like UNC and Georgetown :lol: :lol: .

It's not like I had the LSAT to get in Duke, though, which also had a lot to do with my decision...

Go Heels!!
I have become a UNC fan ever since it became my most likely option for LS. I am from NYC, so I'm just a hardcore Knicks fan, we don't have great college basketball in NY. Although, St. John's is awesome this year.

Capitalist

Bronze

Post by Capitalist » Thu Mar 10, 2011 1:10 am

SupraVln180 wrote:
DeeCee wrote:

Go Heels!!
I have become a UNC fan ever since it became my most likely option for LS. I am from NYC, so I'm just a hardcore Knicks fan, we don't have great college basketball in NY. Although, St. John's is awesome this year.
Yeah, the Johnnies(sp?) are having a solid year. Lavin has really done a great job, and he has locked down a solid recruiting class for next year.

SupraVln, if you do end up in Chapel Hill, your passion for college basketball will increase exponentially, and you will learn to really, really dislike our neighbors 8 miles down the road.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

SupraVln180

Silver

Post by SupraVln180 » Thu Mar 10, 2011 1:15 am

Capitalist wrote:
SupraVln180 wrote:
DeeCee wrote:

Go Heels!!
Yeah, the Johnnies(sp?) are having a solid year. Lavin has really done a great job, and he has locked down a solid recruiting class for next year.

SupraVln, if you do end up in Chapel Hill, your passion for college basketball will increase exponentially, and you will learn to really, really dislike our neighbors 8 miles down the road.

Yeah, I'm really into sports, my high school had an excellent sports program, I actually won a state championship my junior year in basketball, but my undergrad didn't have a good sports program so I never got into it. Going to a school with the tradition in sports that UNC has, should be really fun. I got a taste of it during Chancellors' weekend and I loved it.

scruffs mcguff

Bronze

Post by scruffs mcguff » Thu Mar 10, 2011 11:56 am

I'd rather see UVa because the thugs from the U have a better chance of injuring one of our guys. But honestly, I know Coach Williams couldn't care less about the ACC "cocktail party" as he called it. Let's just get a win tomorrow.

fuzzman

New

Post by fuzzman » Thu Mar 10, 2011 12:08 pm

haoledugan wrote:
fuzzman wrote:Why does everyone think it's funny to refer to us jerseyans as if we're from "joyze"? The people who pronounce it that way are from Long Island, just like the people from the show Jersey Shore. Anyway, hopefully decisions come soon
Didn't mean to offend :wink: I just thought it was kinda funny that someone from the north said the word "ya'll".
I wasn't offended, I was just wondering where that comes from lol. And the reason jersey people say y'all when we go to nc is because we love nc soo much that we try as hard as we can to become part of it lol

Capitalist

Bronze

Post by Capitalist » Thu Mar 10, 2011 12:27 pm

scruffs mcguff wrote:I'd rather see UVa because the thugs from the U have a better chance of injuring one of our guys. But honestly, I know Coach Williams couldn't care less about the ACC "cocktail party" as he called it. Let's just get a win tomorrow.
I hope Ol' Roy takes the conference tourney a little bit more serious this year. In 05 and 09 the Heels had a #1 seed locked up, but if the Heels can win three straight this week and Notre Dame doesn't win the Big East, then I like our chances for the fourth #1 seed (playing our first two games in Charlotte too).

GO HEELS!

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

scruffs mcguff

Bronze

Post by scruffs mcguff » Thu Mar 10, 2011 12:42 pm

We'll be in Charlotte regardless. Of course you never want to lose, I'm just not gonna freak out if we don't.

Capitalist

Bronze

Post by Capitalist » Thu Mar 10, 2011 12:52 pm

scruffs mcguff wrote:We'll be in Charlotte regardless. Of course you never want to lose, I'm just not gonna freak out if we don't.
If we lose to Duke in the finals, and they get a #1 seed with BYU or San Diego State as their #2, which likely gives them another easy road to the Final Four...then I might freak out. :wink:

In all seriousness, I think this team is on a collision course with Duke on Sunday, with the winner getting the final #1 seed. But I digress, one game at a time. Let's win tomorrow.

jdemmitt

Silver

Post by jdemmitt » Thu Mar 10, 2011 3:20 pm

Capitalist wrote:
scruffs mcguff wrote:We'll be in Charlotte regardless. Of course you never want to lose, I'm just not gonna freak out if we don't.
If we lose to Duke in the finals, and they get a #1 seed with BYU or San Diego State as their #2, which likely gives them another easy road to the Final Four...then I might freak out. :wink:

In all seriousness, I think this team is on a collision course with Duke on Sunday, with the winner getting the final #1 seed. But I digress, one game at a time. Let's win tomorrow.

Jimmer fredette doesn't get seeded, he seeds you. Byu number one.

IBThatGuy

New

Post by IBThatGuy » Thu Mar 10, 2011 3:27 pm

SupraVln180 wrote:
dddhhh wrote:
SupraVln180 wrote:I really loved UNC when I visited. But the big problem is my girlfriend is in NYC and I know it will be extremely difficult for me to get back to NYC. I do have ties in NYC with a pretty prominent lawyer who has ties to alot of firms, politics, etc. He said he can "put me with the right people" if I decide to go to UNC and come back to NYC every summer. I don't know what that means though. If the regionalness of schools werent an issue, this would be a no brainer.
How serious is your relationship & could you make it work long distance?
Yes, I could for 3 years easily, however, I cannot forever if I can't get a job in NY or NJ and yes, it's a very serious relationship
Don't be so certain you can make it work long-distance. I've done it. It certainly can be done (again, I've done it), but it's Hell on Earth.

I think location has to trump virtually everything else. Family and networking ties, in my view, ought to count for a lot. If you want to practice in New York, and the increased debt is the only way to do it, then that is, by far, the better move. Between attending Fordham and the personal connection you mention, you've got a real ticket/ UNC won't provide that. If you like NC, it's a no-brainer. You might be able to use the money at UNC to negotiate some money at Fordham.

Full disclosure: My relationship became a burning wreck - about 3.5 years after we moved in together.

Full disclosure: I, too, want your spot at UNC (no response yet).

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

gogamecocks

New

Post by gogamecocks » Thu Mar 10, 2011 4:00 pm

jdemmitt wrote:
But only after marriage, or else he'll get kicked off the team.

/brandon davies'd

UNC2012

New

Post by UNC2012 » Thu Mar 10, 2011 4:34 pm

Hi All, I'm gearing up for next year's cycle and still learning a lot about the process. As you can see from my Screen name, this process is all about getting into UNC for me. I am jealous of those of you who are going next year!

I took the LSAT in December and scored a 163. My GPA is a 3.54, and it might go up a small bit after this semester. I am not a "URM," but I'm not convinced that really helps people anyways. As an in-state resident with those numbers, how would you characterize my chances if I apply early?

I would post this in the general "What Are My Chances" forum, but I'm really only concerned with UNC at this point. I figured the posters here would be most appropriate to ask. I ask now because I'm willing to take the test again in June, but I really do not want to risk dropping below UNC's average score. Thank you for any advice you can give me.

DubPoker

Bronze

Post by DubPoker » Thu Mar 10, 2011 5:06 pm

UNC2012 wrote:I am not a "URM," but I'm not convinced that really helps people anyways.
??? do you use quotes like its a magical nonexistant myth. "URMs" "" ""

DubPoker

Bronze

Post by DubPoker » Thu Mar 10, 2011 5:10 pm

While am still curious about my post above, I will say that your numbers are very competitive.

I say In.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

jdemmitt

Silver

Post by jdemmitt » Thu Mar 10, 2011 5:13 pm

gogamecocks wrote:
jdemmitt wrote:
But only after marriage, or else he'll get kicked off the team.

/brandon davies'd
Lol. I can't fight that. High five!

PDL

Bronze

Post by PDL » Thu Mar 10, 2011 5:16 pm

Last edited by PDL on Sat Apr 26, 2014 10:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

UNC2012

New

Post by UNC2012 » Thu Mar 10, 2011 7:44 pm

DubPoker wrote:
UNC2012 wrote:I am not a "URM," but I'm not convinced that really helps people anyways.
??? do you use quotes like its a magical nonexistant myth. "URMs" "" ""

Nervous first-timer, I guess? I'm not really sure what a URM is, so I put it in quotes. Do you think the quotes should have been nonexistant? :)

PDL, I'm at Charlotte.

beccabea

Bronze

Post by beccabea » Thu Mar 10, 2011 10:01 pm

Last edited by beccabea on Tue Apr 05, 2011 2:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”