UNC 2011 Applicants Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
DubPoker

Bronze

Re: UNC 2011 Applicants

Post by DubPoker » Wed Apr 06, 2011 11:33 am

brentonk wrote:Waitlisted via status checker...161/3.67 in-state...../sigh
sorry :( you gona ride it out?

When did you apply btw?

pokerlaw

Bronze

Post by pokerlaw » Wed Apr 06, 2011 11:33 am

Those numbers are close to mine.

No bueno.

brentonk

New

Post by brentonk » Wed Apr 06, 2011 11:36 am

I applied in November, went complete in December...I will be riding it out fully. Hopefully, I get in....otherwise I will work for a year or two and try again

Capitalist

Bronze

Post by Capitalist » Wed Apr 06, 2011 11:45 am

Sorry to hear that, brentonk. I just hope I'm WLed at this point... :(

YouDontKnowMe

Bronze

Post by YouDontKnowMe » Wed Apr 06, 2011 11:56 am

2things2 wrote:I spoke with admissions earlier -- they say they have accepted 335 applicants thus far, and it sounds like they will be waiting til after April 15th to accept any more, with very few exceptions (they want to see how many kids actually pay the deposit). They also told me that they have rejected exactly zero applicants.
If last year is anything to go by, they have like 200 more acceptances to give out.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

DubPoker

Bronze

Post by DubPoker » Wed Apr 06, 2011 1:02 pm

Couple questions (btw I'm still ready for review, i'm just curious)

Does anyone know how many people have historically been accepted off of the waitlist?

Also, being as UNC has not rejected anybody and has only waitlisted a few people, do you guys think it is better to have been one of the few people waitlisted in the past month, or those who will be waitlisted en mass in the next couple weeks?

protein

Bronze

Post by protein » Wed Apr 06, 2011 2:27 pm

DubPoker wrote:Couple questions (btw I'm still ready for review, i'm just curious)

Does anyone know how many people have historically been accepted off of the waitlist?

Also, being as UNC has not rejected anybody and has only waitlisted a few people, do you guys think it is better to have been one of the few people waitlisted in the past month, or those who will be waitlisted en mass in the next couple weeks?
I doubt it matters when you are waitlisted

I assume the people with higher numbers will get in off the WL, so adjust your expectations accordingly

samtheclam1

New

Post by samtheclam1 » Wed Apr 06, 2011 3:53 pm

been complete since 1/7

sighh

zonto

Bronze

Post by zonto » Wed Apr 06, 2011 4:00 pm

samtheclam1 wrote:been complete since 1/7

sighh
A little bit later than you, but double sighh. I don't even care at this point; they've withdrawn themselves from my consideration.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Capitalist

Bronze

Post by Capitalist » Wed Apr 06, 2011 4:31 pm

There is some good news out of Chapel Hill today. Tyler Zeller and John Henson are returning to school. :D

Barnes has yet to decide. We should know his decision in the coming weeks. Please stay, Falcon. :mrgreen:

DeeCee

Silver

Post by DeeCee » Wed Apr 06, 2011 4:55 pm

zonto wrote:
samtheclam1 wrote:been complete since 1/7

sighh
A little bit later than you, but double sighh. I don't even care at this point; they've withdrawn themselves from my consideration.
this makes me sad that you feel this way.

However, I can kind of relate-- I actually withdrew my Cornell application for the same reasons though, and that was back in Feb

DeeCee

Silver

Post by DeeCee » Wed Apr 06, 2011 4:58 pm

protein wrote:
DubPoker wrote:Couple questions (btw I'm still ready for review, i'm just curious)

I assume the people with higher numbers will get in off the WL, so adjust your expectations accordingly
I don't think they waitlist a ton of people, but people they would actually consider for admission. I say this because in last year's UNC thread I remember reading of several people on TLS getting off the WL in June. And maybe they haven't rejected anyone, but I think they have probably WL way more people than you know about, so they probably have less decisions left than 89% or whatever the number was that someone stated earlier. Most people don't post on TLS or LSN, and I don't think they read 2800 applications in the month of April, but only 300 the rest of the year.....that would be weird.

Capitalist

Bronze

Post by Capitalist » Wed Apr 06, 2011 5:16 pm

DeeCee, did you post the link to the interview with Dean States? If so, could you repost it so I can check it out. I've tried finding it in the earlier pages with no success.

Thanks.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

DeeCee

Silver

Post by DeeCee » Wed Apr 06, 2011 5:39 pm

Capitalist wrote:DeeCee, did you post the link to the interview with Dean States? If so, could you repost it so I can check it out. I've tried finding it in the earlier pages with no success.

Thanks.
Here you go! http://www.admissionsdean.com/researchi ... ael-states
I thought it was pretty interesting and kind of gives perspective on the process.

Capitalist

Bronze

Post by Capitalist » Wed Apr 06, 2011 6:07 pm

DeeCee wrote:
Capitalist wrote:DeeCee, did you post the link to the interview with Dean States? If so, could you repost it so I can check it out. I've tried finding it in the earlier pages with no success.

Thanks.
Here you go! http://www.admissionsdean.com/researchi ... ael-states
I thought it was pretty interesting and kind of gives perspective on the process.
Thanks!

At this point I'm praying for a waitlist (at worst), so I wanted to check out what Dean States had to say about their WL.

Moral_Midgetry

Silver

Post by Moral_Midgetry » Wed Apr 06, 2011 10:57 pm

Capitalist wrote:There is some good news out of Chapel Hill today. Tyler Zeller and John Henson are returning to school. :D

Barnes has yet to decide. We should know his decision in the coming weeks. Please stay, Falcon. :mrgreen:
I saw that on DTH today. Stoked. +1 to Falcon staying.

edit: Also, Kyrie Irving declares for the draft. Awesome.

jackattack17

Bronze

Post by jackattack17 » Thu Apr 07, 2011 2:14 pm

checked my status-WL on tuesday, still no email/call/snail mail. definitely going to ride this one out. if you're still waiting on a decision, check your status. expected, though nice to have some uncertainty out of the way. good luck to everyone else still waiting.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

tarheel125

New

Post by tarheel125 » Thu Apr 07, 2011 2:19 pm

jackattack17 wrote:checked my status-WL on tuesday, still no email/call/snail mail. definitely going to ride this one out. if you're still waiting on a decision, check your status. expected, though nice to have some uncertainty out of the way. good luck to everyone else still waiting.
still haven't gotten WL email after WL status checker.

Bobo355

New

Post by Bobo355 » Thu Apr 07, 2011 2:28 pm

Status checker still says "Application Complete, Ready for Review" for me. The suspense is killing me. I've almost given up hope though...

TarHeel11

New

Post by TarHeel11 » Thu Apr 07, 2011 2:52 pm

protein wrote:

Based on previous admissions cycles, this would be a poor assumption.

DubPoker

Bronze

Post by DubPoker » Thu Apr 07, 2011 2:56 pm

TarHeel11 wrote:
protein wrote:

what has happened in previous admission cycles?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Moral_Midgetry

Silver

Post by Moral_Midgetry » Thu Apr 07, 2011 2:58 pm

TarHeel11 wrote:
protein wrote:

+1, Last year people with sub 160s got in off the WL.

Bobo355

New

Post by Bobo355 » Thu Apr 07, 2011 3:01 pm

Yup the scores and grades aren't all that count. The rest of ur application counts for something. Still probably doesn't matter when you were waitlisted. Just depends on how strong ur overall application is compared to everyone else on the WL.

DubPoker

Bronze

Post by DubPoker » Thu Apr 07, 2011 3:09 pm

Bobo355 wrote:Yup the scores and grades aren't all that count. The rest of ur application counts for something. Still probably doesn't matter when you were waitlisted. Just depends on how strong ur overall application is compared to everyone else on the WL.
I'm gona quote the important part of the interview with Dean States...

[interviewer] So, once an applicant is on that list, and they have jumped through all the additional hoops you’ve established, what can they do to improve their chances of getting an invitation to attend? Or, is there anything that can be done at that point?

[Dean States]...Aside from that, there really is not anything additional you can do because our wait list is not ranked. As I explained before, the way we decide who to invite off of our wait list is that we look at the class of people who have indicated that they will attend and then use the wait list to try and fill in any spots that would round off the class. So, for example, typically 70% of our incoming class will be residents and 30% will be non-residents -- if we look at the number of seat deposits or commitments that we have and it looks like we are not going to hit those targets, then we will look to the wait list and determine whether anyone on that list can make up the difference.

super6

Bronze

Post by super6 » Thu Apr 07, 2011 5:45 pm

170/3.6 OOS, complete since 12/22. So awesome.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”