UNC 2011 Applicants Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
innernetp

Bronze

Re: UNC 2011 Applicants

Post by innernetp » Wed Mar 02, 2011 12:15 pm

MattThiessen wrote:
PDL wrote:Anyone have any info on how generous UNC is with scholarships to non-Chancellor's?
Check LSN: Historically, unless you have ridiculous numbers (i.e. auto admit at T14 or even T6 Acceptance #'s) or are a URM w/ around median numbers, it doesn't look like they give out schollys.
I don't know, I don't think that's necessarily true. My numbers were not good enough to get me into any T14 schools but I got three fourths of my tuition knocked off. I have a friend who was a serious splitter to get a generous scholarship last year, though I don't remember which one it was. Not Chancellors but still great.

scruffs mcguff

Bronze

Post by scruffs mcguff » Wed Mar 02, 2011 12:21 pm

MattThiessen wrote:
PDL wrote:Anyone have any info on how generous UNC is with scholarships to non-Chancellor's?
Check LSN: Historically, unless you have ridiculous numbers (i.e. auto admit at T14 or even T6 Acceptance #'s) or are a URM w/ around median numbers, it doesn't look like they give out schollys.
Since I just posted that they do give them out, no matter how big, I'm going to say you're wrong.

PDL

Bronze

Post by PDL » Wed Mar 02, 2011 12:30 pm

Last edited by PDL on Sat Apr 26, 2014 8:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MattThiessen

Bronze

Post by MattThiessen » Wed Mar 02, 2011 12:36 pm

innernetp wrote:I don't know, I don't think that's necessarily true. My numbers were not good enough to get me into any T14 schools but I got three fourths of my tuition knocked off. I have a friend who was a serious splitter to get a generous scholarship last year, though I don't remember which one it was. Not Chancellors but still great.
Assuming the link to your LSN is right, you are a 167/3.7x. You are in at UT and I would expect you to get some good schollys at borderline T14s. I would consider yours ridiculous numbers for UNC.
scruffs mcguff wrote:Since I just posted that they do give them out, no matter how big, I'm going to say you're wrong.
I didn't say they don't give out scholarships, obviously they do. HOWEVER, from the admittedly limited data on LSN it appears that you either have to fit into one of those categories to get them (VERY good #'s or URM with good #'s). I'm sure some non-URMs with "good" #'s for UNC get scholarships too, just not many as far as I can tell.

I'll be honest though, I hope I am wrong and that UNC offers full-tuition scholarships to everyone! After they admit me, of course... :)

East Coast Law

New

Post by East Coast Law » Wed Mar 02, 2011 3:22 pm

To those who have already been admitted: did your status checker change from ready for review to under review? My app has been ready for review since 1/5- mediocre numbers-but a lot of work experience/community service

is that a bad sign?
Last edited by East Coast Law on Tue Apr 12, 2011 7:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

tvt86

New

Post by tvt86 » Wed Mar 02, 2011 3:32 pm

East Coast Law wrote:To those who have already been admitted: did your status checker change from ready for review to under review? My app has been ready for review since 1/5- mediocre numbers: 163/3.96-but a lot of work experience/community service

is that a bad sign?
It's not a bad sign. I'm still at ready for review too and, from what others have been saying on this forum, many others have been at that point for several months. I don't think a whole lot of people have been admitted yet, so there'll be plenty more decisions being made. I don't think we can read too much into the status checker. Don't worry about it, you'll be fine. It's just a serious test of patience in the meantime!

Moral_Midgetry

Silver

Post by Moral_Midgetry » Wed Mar 02, 2011 3:38 pm

FWIW, for the last batch that was admitted our status checkers went from "ready" to "under" review a day (or maybe two) before we were admitted.

borntorun86

Bronze

Post by borntorun86 » Wed Mar 02, 2011 5:30 pm

From Tarheelfanblog (best indie Tar Heel site on the net):
#13 UNC at Florida St.
Tar Heel Fan on March 2nd, 2011 | 10 comments
Where: Donald L. Tucker Center, Tallahassee, FL
When: Wednesday, March 2nd, 7:00 PM
TV: ESPN
Records: UNC 22-6, 12-2 ACC; FSU 20-8, 10-4 ACC

Duke’s Nolan Smith referred to their game with Clemson(airing after the UNC game) was a semifinal game. UNC’s game with FSU is the same deal though even if UNC were to lose they could still salvage the #1 seed and a share of the ACC regular season crown by beating Duke on Saturday night. None of that should matter however if you are UNC. The Heels need to be singularly focused on beating FSU and finishing 6-2 on the road in the ACC which would be an outstanding accomplishment in and of itself.

FSU is still without leading scorer, rebounder and ACC defensive player of the year candidate Chris Singleton. Since Singleton went out with a foot injury versus Virginia, the Seminoles have had multiple players step up to score in double digits. The two most consistent names in the four game stretch leading into this contest are G Deividas Dulkys and F Okaro White. Both players have had solid scoring nights since Singleton went down. That is the danger of facing a team who has had 3-4 games to adjust to a personnel loss. FSU has had players step up their games giving the Noles more offensive options than perhaps they did not realize that had. FSU also has one of the few frontlines in the country that can match the height and length of UNC’s. This will be a tough matchup on the boards for the Heels, especially if they struggle shooting the ball again.

On offense, it will be interesting to see FSU’s adjustment to Kendall Marshall who torched the Noles for 16 assists in Chapel Hill. I would imagine FSU has taken notice of how Duke guarded Marshall and force him to beat them with a shot rather than a pass. Otherwise if they let Marshall get into the lane and go hog wild passing to open Tar Heels it could be a repeat of Super Bowl Sunday. UNC will be making an adjustment to the loss of Reggie Bullock which means more minutes for Leslie McDonald and Harrison Barnes. Given Bullock’s drop off in production, UNC will be able to compensate there. The question is how they handle logging extra minutes and the shift in the rotations. Despite losing Singleton, FSU is still the fourth best rated defense in the country, two spots behind UNC. In fact UNC’s final two games of the regular season will be against the #3 and #4 defenses in the country. Not the best solution for a team struggling on offense. The other big difference with the game in Chapel Hill was the play of Dexter Strickland. UNC will need solid perimeter play since the interior offense could have issues facing FSU’s size.

This game will be all about focus, discipline and making smart plays. That is the key to beating a good defense. If UNC can hit some shots, so much the better.

UNC 74 FSU 68

Moral_Midgetry

Silver

Post by Moral_Midgetry » Wed Mar 02, 2011 10:06 pm

Harrison Barnes... so clutch.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

borntorun86

Bronze

Post by borntorun86 » Wed Mar 02, 2011 10:59 pm

Ladies and Gentlemen, Harrison Freaking Barnes!!!

fish tacos

Bronze

Post by fish tacos » Wed Mar 02, 2011 11:02 pm

The Black Falcon strikes.

Capitalist

Bronze

Post by Capitalist » Wed Mar 02, 2011 11:44 pm

I would love to see the black falcon do that to the dookies on saturday.

So clutch.

Go heels. Go to hell dook!

DeadLaw

New

Post by DeadLaw » Thu Mar 03, 2011 10:17 am

I have been lurking on this forum/thread for a while. I don't know if it means decisions are imminent, but I checked this morning and I am now under review. Hopefully it is good news!

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

DubPoker

Bronze

Post by DubPoker » Thu Mar 03, 2011 10:34 am

DeadLaw wrote:I have been lurking on this forum/thread for a while. I don't know if it means decisions are imminent, but I checked this morning and I am now under review. Hopefully it is good news!
After reading this I got excited and checked mine...

still "Ready for Review"

tvt86

New

Post by tvt86 » Thu Mar 03, 2011 10:38 am

Me too. DeadLaw, does the date on yours show that your status just changed today?

East Coast Law

New

Post by East Coast Law » Thu Mar 03, 2011 10:53 am

DeadLaw wrote:I have been lurking on this forum/thread for a while. I don't know if it means decisions are imminent, but I checked this morning and I am now under review. Hopefully it is good news!
Lucky! Im jealous - still no movement for me :( what are your numbers if u dont mind me asking? In state/ out of state?

DeadLaw

New

Post by DeadLaw » Thu Mar 03, 2011 10:55 am

tvt86 wrote:Me too. DeadLaw, does the date on yours show that your status just changed today?
No, it shows yesterday for the current status date.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

DeadLaw

New

Post by DeadLaw » Thu Mar 03, 2011 11:00 am

East Coast Law wrote:
Lucky! Im jealous - still no movement for me :( what are your numbers if u dont mind me asking? In state/ out of state?
I sent my stats via pm.

tvt86

New

Post by tvt86 » Thu Mar 03, 2011 11:05 am

Anyone else gone under review in the last day or two?

LEPinBOS

New

Post by LEPinBOS » Thu Mar 03, 2011 11:08 am

i've got nothing.

for the people who are under review, are you in state or out of state? and where are your numbers?
Last edited by LEPinBOS on Thu Mar 03, 2011 3:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

borntorun86

Bronze

Post by borntorun86 » Thu Mar 03, 2011 11:20 am

Still "ready for review" here.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

scruffs mcguff

Bronze

Post by scruffs mcguff » Thu Mar 03, 2011 11:44 am

LEPinBOS

New

Post by LEPinBOS » Thu Mar 03, 2011 11:49 am

scruffs mcguff wrote:Image

Because comparing basketball to war is fun and appropriate.

Moral_Midgetry

Silver

Post by Moral_Midgetry » Thu Mar 03, 2011 11:50 am

I love it scruffs.

scruffs mcguff

Bronze

Post by scruffs mcguff » Thu Mar 03, 2011 11:52 am

LEPinBOS wrote:Because comparing basketball to war is fun and appropriate.
Not sure if serious.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”