UNC 2011 Applicants Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
pokerlaw

Bronze

Re: UNC 2011 Applicants

Post by pokerlaw » Tue Nov 23, 2010 10:03 pm

Applied today. Hope residency gives me a boost.

Barbie

Gold

Post by Barbie » Tue Nov 23, 2010 10:29 pm

pokerlaw wrote:Applied today. Hope residency gives me a boost.
It will. A big one.

plt06

New

Post by plt06 » Mon Nov 29, 2010 10:38 pm

Ya, UNC's admissions staff leave something to be desired. I requested a viewbook in September and never got it. On the flipside, Wake's admissions staff is the nicest I have ever encountered.

ran12

Silver

Post by ran12 » Mon Nov 29, 2010 10:45 pm

plt06 wrote:Ya, UNC's admissions staff leave something to be desired. I requested a viewbook in September and never got it. On the flipside, Wake's admissions staff is the nicest I have ever encountered.
I completely agree. When I visited UNC the staff was very unfriendly and had trouble answering questions I had. The facilities are okay but nothing to write home about and the 90 person classes are not appealing at all. On the other hand Wake and W&L are probably two of the nicest staffs.

kls120

New

Post by kls120 » Mon Nov 29, 2010 10:52 pm

ran12 wrote:
plt06 wrote:Ya, UNC's admissions staff leave something to be desired. I requested a viewbook in September and never got it. On the flipside, Wake's admissions staff is the nicest I have ever encountered.
I completely agree. When I visited UNC the staff was very unfriendly and had trouble answering questions I had. The facilities are okay but nothing to write home about and the 90 person classes are not appealing at all. On the other hand Wake and W&L are probably two of the nicest staffs.
As a UNC undergrad, I really haven't had a chance to get real sense of law school yet. But from few visits and meetings with some law profs, I gotta say, UNC law school building would be by far the worst facility in the whole UNC campus

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

oscodasa

Bronze

Post by oscodasa » Mon Nov 29, 2010 11:03 pm

ran12 wrote:
I had an absolutely horrible experience visiting UNC. The admissions staff hardly spoke to me at all, all but ignoring me, and the tour was comparable to a friend showing a lay person the law school. When she took me to the library her exact words were "This is the library. Do you have any questions?"
I have absolutely loved UNC my entire life and was heartbroken after visiting, let alone when I had to tell a family member, who is an alum of the school, how poor of an impression I was left with. Absolutely a far cry from the extremely communicative and welcoming staff at W&L.

queenlizzie13

Silver

Post by queenlizzie13 » Tue Nov 30, 2010 12:42 am

oscodasa wrote:
ran12 wrote:
I had an absolutely horrible experience visiting UNC. The admissions staff hardly spoke to me at all, all but ignoring me, and the tour was comparable to a friend showing a lay person the law school. When she took me to the library her exact words were "This is the library. Do you have any questions?"
I have absolutely loved UNC my entire life and was heartbroken after visiting, let alone when I had to tell a family member, who is an alum of the school, how poor of an impression I was left with. Absolutely a far cry from the extremely communicative and welcoming staff at W&L.
Yeah, I found W&M to be a lot more friendly and communicative. I was not left with that great of an impression with UNC either...

The tour guides at UVA and W&M were a lot more informative and I believe I was able to get a better feel for the school. But, the UNC tour guide did mail me a handwritten note afterwords, which I believe was very thoughtful. And I don't think my experience was quite as bad as yours, but all in all, it was not great.

Barbie

Gold

Post by Barbie » Thu Dec 02, 2010 12:18 pm

Complete email today (im guessing they just finally processed my mailed in fee waiver). Says also that they will review applications starting mid December and start rolling out decisions at the end of Dec-May. :D

kwais

Gold

Post by kwais » Thu Dec 02, 2010 12:23 pm

Complete email today as well. I am very disappointed to read people's impressions of the school. I visited for undergrad and loved it. Do people have an opinion concerning the correlation between the surly admissions staff/poor tour and the experience of being a law student there?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

ran12

Silver

Post by ran12 » Thu Dec 02, 2010 12:24 pm

Barbie wrote:Complete email today (im guessing they just finally processed my mailed in fee waiver). Says also that they will review applications starting mid December and start rolling out decisions at the end of Dec-May. :D
I got the same complete email but I've been complete since early Oct. They just happened to send official word now.

pokerlaw

Bronze

Post by pokerlaw » Thu Dec 02, 2010 12:33 pm

kwais wrote:Complete email today as well. I am very disappointed to read people's impressions of the school. I visited for undergrad and loved it. Do people have an opinion concerning the correlation between the surly admissions staff/poor tour and the experience of being a law student there?
I have two friends that are currently enrolled there, they did undergrad at Chapel Hill as well, they both generally have good things to say about it.

kwais

Gold

Post by kwais » Thu Dec 02, 2010 2:22 pm

pokerlaw wrote:
kwais wrote:Complete email today as well. I am very disappointed to read people's impressions of the school. I visited for undergrad and loved it. Do people have an opinion concerning the correlation between the surly admissions staff/poor tour and the experience of being a law student there?
I have two friends that are currently enrolled there, they did undergrad at Chapel Hill as well, they both generally have good things to say about it.
cool, thanks

Neo

Bronze

Post by Neo » Thu Dec 02, 2010 5:24 pm

I just got an email saying my file is complete even though I applied when the window first opened...Anyone else get the same thing?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

mrwarre85

Silver

Post by mrwarre85 » Thu Dec 02, 2010 6:50 pm

OOS 2.9 164 any chance? my girflriend went to duke (I won't tell them that in the application) and I just really liked the area.

stupid "grades" in stupid "undergrad." jeeez

ran12

Silver

Post by ran12 » Thu Dec 02, 2010 6:53 pm

mrwarre85 wrote:OOS 2.9 164 any chance? my girflriend went to duke (I won't tell them that in the application) and I just really liked the area.

Sorry but probably not. You're not missing out anyway. UNC isn't so great. 90 person classes, old facilities, and unfriendly staff.

Barbie

Gold

Post by Barbie » Tue Dec 07, 2010 3:24 pm

Has anyone (else) gotten an acceptance???

http://top-law-schools.com/forums/viewt ... 1&t=140075

pokerlaw

Bronze

Post by pokerlaw » Tue Dec 07, 2010 3:39 pm

I'm still waiting on a status checker.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Barbie

Gold

Post by Barbie » Tue Dec 07, 2010 3:42 pm

pokerlaw wrote:I'm still waiting on a status checker.
wait, what? I never got a status checker... I just got an email saying I'm complete and they'll holler at me when they decide...

Magnifique1908

Silver

Post by Magnifique1908 » Tue Dec 07, 2010 3:44 pm

I didn't think there was a status checker for UNC. I'm pretty sure there isn't.

pokerlaw

Bronze

Post by pokerlaw » Tue Dec 07, 2010 3:45 pm

Barbie wrote:
pokerlaw wrote:I'm still waiting on a status checker.
wait, what? I never got a status checker... I just got an email saying I'm complete and they'll holler at me when they decide...
I assumed we get one. I only received any e-mail saying they received my payment, assumed the status checker e-mail was next.

Guess they don't have one.

scruffs mcguff

Bronze

Post by scruffs mcguff » Tue Dec 07, 2010 4:09 pm

Nope no status checker.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

lharsha

New

Post by lharsha » Tue Dec 07, 2010 6:52 pm

I got my application received e-mail on 11/03 and still have not gotten one that says I'm complete. I've read that a couple of you who have sent in applications later than me already got the complete e-mail. I want to call, but it seems like it's really discouraged... think I should just sit tight?

In-state

TarHeel11

New

Post by TarHeel11 » Wed Dec 08, 2010 3:10 pm

mrwarre85 wrote:OOS 2.9 164 any chance? my girflriend went to duke (I won't tell them that in the application) and I just really liked the area.

It's a long-shot, but not impossible. I know an in-state student who got in with a 2.9 163 a couple of years ago.

How long have you been out of undergrad? Is there a reasonable explanation for the GPA, such as being at a service academy or working a full-time job? Have you done anything that indicates the grades aren't indicative of the kind of work you can do?

landlocked

New

Post by landlocked » Thu Dec 09, 2010 10:04 am

Current UNC 1L here (avoiding studying for exams). I had the same bad experiences with the Admissions Office at UNC. They were slow in processing things, made me wait for months, accepted me via phone call and forgot to send me an admissions package.

BUT, since I got here, I don't have a single complaint. I haven't even stepped foot in the admissions office, haven't seen or heard from the staff. I know it's hard not to judge the whole law school based on one, poorly run, office (I was in your shoes a year ago), but try not to.

The other people on staff (the ones that deal with current students) are top notch, in my opinion. Even the CSO (Career Services Office) has been great at setting up individual meetings with me, looking over my resume, etc. UNC also has a wonderful pro-bono project ("program") that allows students to be work on legal projects with attorneys from day one (seriously, you can start volunteering the first day of class).

The facilities are not the greatest. I certainly can't disagree with that. But I don't really understand why people pick law schools based on the buildings anyways. Staff, faculty, job placements, schollys, etc are probably a better way to decide where you're going to go. For those of you who might be applying in the future, there are plans to build a brand new law building. I think the university is just waiting (like everyone else) for the economy to pick up a bit.

As an undergrad (also UNC), I hated big classes. I felt like the professor never knew my name, didn't care about how I was doing, and generally just had TAs grade a bunch of papers. I find the large classroom experience here to be completely different. 1Ls are given a college (of 90ish people) and then a small section of 30 people. Your first semester you take 2 classes with your whole college (90 people) and 1 class with your small section (30). Far and away I have enjoyed my larger sections more. I know 90 people sounds like a lot, but it really doesn't feel big. The professors are (generally) excellent and know people's names. Plus, by the end of your first semester, you know all 90 of those people anyway. You've had class with them all day, every day. They're your best friends. You are generally glad to have them sitting near you in case you get cold called and have no idea what to say.

Anyways, I hope that helps a bit. Feel free to post more questions or concerns. I'll also take questions via PM. :)

pokerlaw

Bronze

Post by pokerlaw » Thu Dec 09, 2010 5:32 pm

Finally got the application received/complete email.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”