GW 2011 Applicants

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
maglialoro
Posts: 281
Joined: Fri Jun 05, 2009 4:25 pm

Re: GW 2011 Applicants

Postby maglialoro » Thu Feb 10, 2011 7:36 pm

-
Last edited by maglialoro on Thu Mar 10, 2011 9:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

narayan1121
Posts: 29
Joined: Mon May 10, 2010 5:46 pm

Re: GW 2011 Applicants

Postby narayan1121 » Thu Feb 10, 2011 7:43 pm

maglialoro wrote:
Important note: Students who are awarded GW Law merit-based scholarships do not have financial need and are not eligible for GW Law need-based grants. Merit award recipients who require additional funds may be awarded student loans only.


A concern of mine is once I fill out GW fin aid form, have I totally just signed away any chance of merit aid (even though it is very unlikely to get some anyway)?


I called and spoke to the Financial Aid office. I was told that if there wasn't a merit-based aid offer in your acceptance packet, then there is no merit-based financial aid for you....

User avatar
Flips88
Posts: 13659
Joined: Sun Oct 10, 2010 7:42 pm

Re: GW 2011 Applicants

Postby Flips88 » Thu Feb 10, 2011 7:46 pm

narayan1121 wrote:
maglialoro wrote:
Important note: Students who are awarded GW Law merit-based scholarships do not have financial need and are not eligible for GW Law need-based grants. Merit award recipients who require additional funds may be awarded student loans only.


A concern of mine is once I fill out GW fin aid form, have I totally just signed away any chance of merit aid (even though it is very unlikely to get some anyway)?


I called and spoke to the Financial Aid office. I was told that if there wasn't a merit-based aid offer in your acceptance packet, then there is no merit-based financial aid for you....


Not necessarily true, but pretty much 99% accurate. The FinAid advisor I emailed told me: "It is always possible that a high number of admitted applicants to whom we have offered merit scholarships will decline our offers and that we will have funds available to make additional awards. However, in the five years that I have been at GW Law, this has not happened. "

wonkymonkey
Posts: 53
Joined: Fri Aug 13, 2010 3:59 pm

Re: GW 2011 Applicants

Postby wonkymonkey » Thu Feb 10, 2011 8:05 pm

I was told the same thing and my LSAT and GPA are in their 75th or above range.

User avatar
Flips88
Posts: 13659
Joined: Sun Oct 10, 2010 7:42 pm

Re: GW 2011 Applicants

Postby Flips88 » Thu Feb 10, 2011 8:09 pm

wonkymonkey wrote:I was told the same thing and my LSAT and GPA are in their 75th or above range.

As Cee Lo says:

--ImageRemoved--

User avatar
DeeCee
Posts: 1352
Joined: Mon Nov 15, 2010 4:09 am

Re: GW 2011 Applicants

Postby DeeCee » Fri Feb 11, 2011 6:44 pm

Flips88 wrote:
wonkymonkey wrote:I was told the same thing and my LSAT and GPA are in their 75th or above range.

As Cee Lo says:

--ImageRemoved--


LOL. Yeah, unfortunately this is why I'm leaning towards withdrawing (I'm on the WL). Because even if I got in (small chance), I'd still have to pay sticker. And GW to me is not worth sticker, even if they are one of my top choices.

Puttanesca
Posts: 443
Joined: Wed Feb 09, 2011 2:10 pm

Re: GW 2011 Applicants

Postby Puttanesca » Sat Feb 12, 2011 5:59 am

Has anyone who went complete by early December not heard yet? I applied on 11/24, went complete on 12/01, and haven't heard a thing. By the looks of LSN, pretty much everyone who went complete around the time that I did has gotten a decision. Don't know what's up with that.

Puttanesca
Posts: 443
Joined: Wed Feb 09, 2011 2:10 pm

Re: GW 2011 Applicants

Postby Puttanesca » Sat Feb 12, 2011 4:32 pm

Puttanesca wrote:Has anyone who went complete by early December not heard yet? I applied on 11/24, went complete on 12/01, and haven't heard a thing. By the looks of LSN, pretty much everyone who went complete around the time that I did has gotten a decision. Don't know what's up with that.


No one???

fedexmalcom
Posts: 48
Joined: Thu Oct 15, 2009 12:08 am

Re: GW 2011 Applicants

Postby fedexmalcom » Sun Feb 13, 2011 4:56 am

waitinglisted! I really want to get in. The first round should be around April.
Hope those accepted to T14 would make their decisions before April.

danparkuss
Posts: 13
Joined: Thu Jun 10, 2010 3:07 pm

Re: GW 2011 Applicants

Postby danparkuss » Tue Feb 15, 2011 4:17 pm

Submitted 1/12 -> Went complete 1/19 -> In 2/15

3.31/171

champsound
Posts: 342
Joined: Thu Jan 13, 2011 11:03 am

Re: GW 2011 Applicants

Postby champsound » Tue Feb 15, 2011 4:25 pm

danparkuss wrote:Submitted 1/12 -> Went complete 1/19 -> In 2/15

3.31/171

how do they contact you? I have the same submitted and complete dates, but I've heard nothing.

User avatar
bostonlawchick
Posts: 439
Joined: Tue Nov 17, 2009 10:09 am

Re: GW 2011 Applicants

Postby bostonlawchick » Tue Feb 15, 2011 4:31 pm

danparkuss wrote:Submitted 1/12 -> Went complete 1/19 -> In 2/15

3.31/171



Same numbers, submitted mid December, complete early january... Not a peep. Grr.

danparkuss
Posts: 13
Joined: Thu Jun 10, 2010 3:07 pm

Re: GW 2011 Applicants

Postby danparkuss » Tue Feb 15, 2011 4:33 pm

via email. strange because their financial aid office contact me stating:
"Congratulations on your admission and welcome to the GW Law School. I am your assigned financial aid counselor, who will guide you through the GW Law financial aid process."

with a entire process for FAFSA.

at first i didnt know what to think of this email but upon some research, it seems this happens.
ill update once the packet arrives.

User avatar
Flips88
Posts: 13659
Joined: Sun Oct 10, 2010 7:42 pm

Re: GW 2011 Applicants

Postby Flips88 » Tue Feb 15, 2011 4:41 pm

danparkuss wrote:via email. strange because their financial aid office contact me stating:
"Congratulations on your admission and welcome to the GW Law School. I am your assigned financial aid counselor, who will guide you through the GW Law financial aid process."

with a entire process for FAFSA.

at first i didnt know what to think of this email but upon some research, it seems this happens.
ill update once the packet arrives.

Rearrange these words into coherent sentences please

FiveSermon
Posts: 1507
Joined: Tue Dec 14, 2010 6:56 pm

Re: GW 2011 Applicants

Postby FiveSermon » Tue Feb 15, 2011 4:41 pm

Flips88 wrote:
danparkuss wrote:via email. strange because their financial aid office contact me stating:
"Congratulations on your admission and welcome to the GW Law School. I am your assigned financial aid counselor, who will guide you through the GW Law financial aid process."

with a entire process for FAFSA.

at first i didnt know what to think of this email but upon some research, it seems this happens.
ill update once the packet arrives.

Rearrange these words into coherent sentences please

lol

kcdc
Posts: 63
Joined: Tue Dec 28, 2010 1:28 pm

Re: GW 2011 Applicants

Postby kcdc » Tue Feb 15, 2011 6:19 pm

Has anyone else heard today??

Puttanesca
Posts: 443
Joined: Wed Feb 09, 2011 2:10 pm

Re: GW 2011 Applicants

Postby Puttanesca » Tue Feb 15, 2011 9:27 pm

bostonlawchick wrote:
danparkuss wrote:Submitted 1/12 -> Went complete 1/19 -> In 2/15

3.31/171



Same numbers, submitted mid December, complete early january... Not a peep. Grr.


Submitted 11/24, complete 12/01, and not a peep. I wonder if they lost my application. Should I call the admissions office?

longhornlaw
Posts: 300
Joined: Wed Nov 03, 2010 11:40 am

Re: GW 2011 Applicants

Postby longhornlaw » Wed Feb 16, 2011 11:22 am

Withdrew from WL today. Best of luck to everyone else who's still waiting!

User avatar
Gotti
Posts: 3436
Joined: Tue Nov 09, 2010 3:46 pm

Re: GW 2011 Applicants

Postby Gotti » Wed Feb 16, 2011 1:09 pm

LttleBlakDress wrote:
Gotti wrote:
LttleBlakDress wrote:
Flips88 wrote:I don't think so. Also, it's important to note that for GW, you must provide parental info for financial aid from GW, which is particularly annoying. So sometime before next Wednesday I have to add parental info to the FAFSA.


Yeah, I'm seriously considering withdrawing for this reason, because it means all the other schools will consider my parents info, which could make a huge difference in the aid I get at the other schools that receive the fafsa. Also did anyone find it ridiculous that the financial aid director referred to herself as "Mrs.?" Maybe that's the California in me but seriously?


Wait no...fill out the schools that DON'T require parental info on your FAFSA first and submit that non-parental FAFSA to those schools, then go back and remove all those schools that don't require parent info and add the ones that do require it and resubmit. This way, the schools that don't require parent info won't see parent info and the schools that do will see it. But it's the same FAFSA...you're just submitting it twice to different people



This isn't how it works...I checked with the Fafsa people. They submit corrections (added parental info) to all the schools you have ever listed, not just the ones listed when you make the corrections.


Hey guys I just talked to FAFSA...just wanted to let you know that this isn't true.

They told me that once the schools are removed from your list, they do not get updated with new information

JJDancer
Posts: 1564
Joined: Sun Jul 26, 2009 7:41 pm

Re: GW 2011 Applicants

Postby JJDancer » Wed Feb 16, 2011 5:00 pm

Gotti wrote:
LttleBlakDress wrote:This isn't how it works...I checked with the Fafsa people. They submit corrections (added parental info) to all the schools you have ever listed, not just the ones listed when you make the corrections.


Hey guys I just talked to FAFSA...just wanted to let you know that this isn't true.

They told me that once the schools are removed from your list, they do not get updated with new information

But then the nonparental info school that I remove won't get my updated 2010 info, right?
Since the first Fafsa I plan on submitting is 2009 based estimates...?

User avatar
Gotti
Posts: 3436
Joined: Tue Nov 09, 2010 3:46 pm

Re: GW 2011 Applicants

Postby Gotti » Wed Feb 16, 2011 5:36 pm

JJDancer wrote:
Gotti wrote:
LttleBlakDress wrote:This isn't how it works...I checked with the Fafsa people. They submit corrections (added parental info) to all the schools you have ever listed, not just the ones listed when you make the corrections.


Hey guys I just talked to FAFSA...just wanted to let you know that this isn't true.

They told me that once the schools are removed from your list, they do not get updated with new information

But then the nonparental info school that I remove won't get my updated 2010 info, right?
Since the first Fafsa I plan on submitting is 2009 based estimates...?

Correct. If you want schools to get info, they have to be on the school list when you submit

User avatar
LttleBlakDress
Posts: 224
Joined: Fri Jan 07, 2011 3:49 pm

Re: GW 2011 Applicants

Postby LttleBlakDress » Wed Feb 16, 2011 5:55 pm

Gotti wrote:
JJDancer wrote:
Gotti wrote:
LttleBlakDress wrote:This isn't how it works...I checked with the Fafsa people. They submit corrections (added parental info) to all the schools you have ever listed, not just the ones listed when you make the corrections.


Hey guys I just talked to FAFSA...just wanted to let you know that this isn't true.

They told me that once the schools are removed from your list, they do not get updated with new information

But then the nonparental info school that I remove won't get my updated 2010 info, right?
Since the first Fafsa I plan on submitting is 2009 based estimates...?

Correct. If you want schools to get info, they have to be on the school list when you submit


Except I swear to you that this is not what they said to me. When I asked on the FAFSA chat assistance page a week ago and again today. Not inspiring my confidence in this process.

User avatar
chritabug
Posts: 39
Joined: Wed Dec 08, 2010 10:54 pm

Re: GW 2011 Applicants

Postby chritabug » Thu Feb 17, 2011 12:49 pm

In via email. Applied 1/20, complete 2/1.

columbia86
Posts: 181
Joined: Tue Jan 04, 2011 11:59 am

Re: GW 2011 Applicants

Postby columbia86 » Thu Feb 17, 2011 12:54 pm

chritabug wrote:In via email. Applied 1/20, complete 2/1.


Congrats!

Puttanesca
Posts: 443
Joined: Wed Feb 09, 2011 2:10 pm

Re: GW 2011 Applicants

Postby Puttanesca » Thu Feb 17, 2011 1:04 pm

Just got the acceptance email! It took a while for GW to get back to me (I applied 11/24 and was complete on 12/01), but I'm still happy to be in!




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Assasindowntheavenue, Google Adsense [Bot], Houzy, mav1993, mlp12, pahuber2, ramp_999 and 23 guests