GW 2011 Applicants

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
leonal41

Re: GW 2011 Applicants

Postby leonal41 » Thu Feb 10, 2011 2:08 pm

waitlisted :(

lawandi

Postby lawandi » Thu Feb 10, 2011 3:39 pm

So if I haven't gotten a merit scholarship thus far (in my packet, via email...), should I assume $0? Wow, seems stingy, compared to WUSTL especially...

Flips88

Postby Flips88 » Thu Feb 10, 2011 3:40 pm

lawandi wrote:So if I haven't gotten a merit scholarship thus far (in my packet, via email...), should I assume $0? Wow, seems stingy, compared to WUSTL especially...

Yes. It's $105k or bust at GW. Welcome to the bust camp.

lawandi

Postby lawandi » Thu Feb 10, 2011 3:42 pm

Flips88 wrote:
lawandi wrote:So if I haven't gotten a merit scholarship thus far (in my packet, via email...), should I assume $0? Wow, seems stingy, compared to WUSTL especially...

Yes. It's $105k or bust at GW. Welcome to the bust camp.

This camp sucks... :(

Deuce

Postby Deuce » Thu Feb 10, 2011 6:08 pm

Just got the e-mail about financial aid for GW... already did my FAFSA, but do we only fill out GW's form if we are 100% sure we're going there? One of the questions asks if I'll be attending classes at any other law school... don't know the answer to this yet :?

Flips88

Postby Flips88 » Thu Feb 10, 2011 6:15 pm

Deuce wrote:Just got the e-mail about financial aid for GW... already did my FAFSA, but do we only fill out GW's form if we are 100% sure we're going there? One of the questions asks if I'll be attending classes at any other law school... don't know the answer to this yet :?

I don't think so. Also, it's important to note that for GW, you must provide parental info for financial aid from GW, which is particularly annoying. So sometime before next Wednesday I have to add parental info to the FAFSA.

LttleBlakDress

Postby LttleBlakDress » Thu Feb 10, 2011 6:22 pm

Flips88 wrote:
Deuce wrote:Just got the e-mail about financial aid for GW... already did my FAFSA, but do we only fill out GW's form if we are 100% sure we're going there? One of the questions asks if I'll be attending classes at any other law school... don't know the answer to this yet :?

I don't think so. Also, it's important to note that for GW, you must provide parental info for financial aid from GW, which is particularly annoying. So sometime before next Wednesday I have to add parental info to the FAFSA.

Yeah, I'm seriously considering withdrawing for this reason, because it means all the other schools will consider my parents info, which could make a huge difference in the aid I get at the other schools that receive the fafsa. Also did anyone find it ridiculous that the financial aid director referred to herself as "Mrs.?" Maybe that's the California in me but seriously?

maglialoro

Postby maglialoro » Thu Feb 10, 2011 6:25 pm

-
Last edited by maglialoro on Thu Mar 10, 2011 9:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

LttleBlakDress

Postby LttleBlakDress » Thu Feb 10, 2011 6:41 pm

maglialoro wrote:
LttleBlakDress wrote:
Flips88 wrote:

Yeah, I'm seriously considering withdrawing for this reason, because it means all the other schools will consider my parents info, which could make a huge difference in the aid I get at the other schools that receive the fafsa. Also did anyone find it ridiculous that the financial aid director referred to herself as "Mrs.?" Maybe that's the California in me but seriously?

Most schools do require you to provide your parents financial information one way or another.

Yeah but Hastings doesn't and they are my number 1....

Gotti

Postby Gotti » Thu Feb 10, 2011 6:46 pm

LttleBlakDress wrote:
Flips88 wrote:

Wait no...fill out the schools that DON'T require parental info on your FAFSA first and submit that non-parental FAFSA to those schools, then go back and remove all those schools that don't require parent info and add the ones that do require it and resubmit. This way, the schools that don't require parent info won't see parent info and the schools that do will see it. But it's the same FAFSA...you're just submitting it twice to different people

Flips88

Postby Flips88 » Thu Feb 10, 2011 6:48 pm

Gotti wrote:
Wait no...fill out the schools that DON'T require parental info on your FAFSA first and submit that non-parental FAFSA to those schools, then go back and remove all those schools that don't require parent info and add the ones that do require it and resubmit. This way, the schools that don't require parent info won't see parent info and the schools that do will see it. But it's the same FAFSA...you're just submitting it twice to different people

How do we figure out which schools require parental info and which do not? Scour the fin aid website?

Deuce

Postby Deuce » Thu Feb 10, 2011 6:50 pm

Flips88 wrote:

So... go ahead and fill out the GW financial aid form, even though I'm not sure I'm going yet?

LttleBlakDress

Postby LttleBlakDress » Thu Feb 10, 2011 6:51 pm

Gotti wrote:
LttleBlakDress wrote:
Flips88 wrote:

This isn't how it works...I checked with the Fafsa people. They submit corrections (added parental info) to all the schools you have ever listed, not just the ones listed when you make the corrections.

Flips88

Postby Flips88 » Thu Feb 10, 2011 6:54 pm

Deuce wrote:
Flips88 wrote:

So... go ahead and fill out the GW financial aid form, even though I'm not sure I'm going yet?

Yeah, it's just for the purpose of them figuring out how much in GW grants you'd be eligible for. I think it ranges from $1,000-$16,000.

Oh and just to quote from the admission packet because I think this applies to you:
Important note: Students who are awarded GW Law merit-based scholarships do not have financial need and are not eligible for GW Law need-based grants. Merit award recipients who require additional funds may be awarded student loans only.

maglialoro

Postby maglialoro » Thu Feb 10, 2011 6:58 pm

-
Last edited by maglialoro on Thu Mar 10, 2011 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Gotti

Postby Gotti » Thu Feb 10, 2011 6:59 pm

LttleBlakDress wrote:This isn't how it works...I checked with the Fafsa people. They submit corrections (added parental info) to all the schools you have ever listed, not just the ones listed when you make the corrections.

SERIOUSLY??? fuck that's lame.

LttleBlakDress

Postby LttleBlakDress » Thu Feb 10, 2011 7:01 pm

Gotti wrote:
LttleBlakDress wrote:This isn't how it works...I checked with the Fafsa people. They submit corrections (added parental info) to all the schools you have ever listed, not just the ones listed when you make the corrections.

Ruined my day.

Flips88

Postby Flips88 » Thu Feb 10, 2011 7:10 pm

maglialoro wrote:
Important note: Students who are awarded GW Law merit-based scholarships do not have financial need and are not eligible for GW Law need-based grants. Merit award recipients who require additional funds may be awarded student loans only.

A concern of mine is once I fill out GW fin aid form, have I totally just signed away any chance of merit aid (even though it is very unlikely to get some anyway)?[/quote]

I have to think that if you get a future merit scholarship then that just voids your grant money. Who would ever choose $30k/year over $16k/year in grants?

Gotti

Postby Gotti » Thu Feb 10, 2011 7:10 pm

LttleBlakDress wrote:
Gotti wrote:

Ruined my day.

Yeah...wow. There goes my chance at need-based aid.

fatduck

Postby fatduck » Thu Feb 10, 2011 7:24 pm

Gotti wrote:
LttleBlakDress wrote:
Gotti wrote:

Ruined my day.

Yeah...wow. There goes my chance at need-based aid.

I don't think you're screwed. When I filled out my FAFSA (with parental info for GWU) it calculated my EFC as 0. There's no way that includes my parents' income. Schools like Hastings that don't require your parental info are probably just going to plug the EFC into their formula. I really, really doubt they're going to penalize you for parental info that you voluntarily provided.

maglialoro

Postby maglialoro » Thu Feb 10, 2011 7:29 pm

-
Last edited by maglialoro on Thu Mar 10, 2011 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Gemini

Postby Gemini » Thu Feb 10, 2011 7:31 pm

Mag, I've been seeing you in all the threads I visit. :mrgreen:

Blah, am doing FAFSA now.

fatduck

Postby fatduck » Thu Feb 10, 2011 7:33 pm

maglialoro wrote:Your EFC was 0 because FAFSA does not include parental information once you are considred Independent. However, the schools will be able to see your parents info

I understand that. What I'm saying is schools that do not require parental information are unlikely to use your (voluntarily provided) parental info to disqualify you from aid you would have received otherwise, because they most likely just use your EFC. Even if they don't, it's still unlikely that they would use your parental info in their calculations when they are only using student info for everyone else.

nelaw2010

Postby nelaw2010 » Thu Feb 10, 2011 7:35 pm

I don't think you need to include parental info if you're independent and over a certain age. 30?

Flips88

Postby Flips88 » Thu Feb 10, 2011 7:35 pm

nelaw2010 wrote:I don't think you need to include parental info if you're independent and over a certain age. 30?

If you were born before Jan 1, 1982

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”