GW 2011 Applicants

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
Ratchet Jackson

Re: GW 2011 Applicants

Postby Ratchet Jackson » Tue Feb 08, 2011 8:54 pm

JenBunny wrote:
fatduck wrote:
JenBunny wrote:Just got waitlisted. 170 LSAT and no GPA because my undergrad is international, but my undergraduate record was rated 'Superior' by LSAC (and from a highly regarded UK university). I'm kind of in shock right now and worried about the rest of my cycle.

probably yield protection - you should be competitive at T14 schools with a 170/superior

for comparison several people including myself have been accepted with 170s and gpas in the 2.9-3.4 range

I really, really hope you're right! Even if you're not, thanks for giving me a bit of hope!

Yeah, assuming you applied to higher ranked schools, something is better on the horizon for sure. Unless you are a convicted felon or something.

JenBunny

Postby JenBunny » Tue Feb 08, 2011 8:58 pm

RJ127 wrote:
JenBunny wrote:
fatduck wrote:
JenBunny wrote:Just got waitlisted. 170 LSAT and no GPA because my undergrad is international, but my undergraduate record was rated 'Superior' by LSAC (and from a highly regarded UK university). I'm kind of in shock right now and worried about the rest of my cycle.

probably yield protection - you should be competitive at T14 schools with a 170/superior

for comparison several people including myself have been accepted with 170s and gpas in the 2.9-3.4 range

I really, really hope you're right! Even if you're not, thanks for giving me a bit of hope!

Yeah, assuming you applied to higher ranked schools, something is better on the horizon for sure. Unless you are a convicted felon or something.

GW was the 2nd lowest ranked school I applied to. Have already been accepted to the lowest ranked one I applied to, but have yet to hear from the others (which is why the GW rejection is so unnerving.) Hopefully one of the others will pull through.

No felonies, either. Decent softs...I didn't spend a year de-worming orphans in Somalia, but I've done some cool (or at least unusual) stuff.

Ratchet Jackson

Postby Ratchet Jackson » Tue Feb 08, 2011 9:02 pm

JB, you will be fine. Best of luck to you.

bostonlawchick

Postby bostonlawchick » Tue Feb 08, 2011 9:05 pm

Can I ask you guys where you are getting complete dates?

I've had zip in communication from them at all. I applied in mid December and heard nothing, emailed beginning for January to see if my application was complete, got a short reply back saying it was. That's it. Has everyone elses experience been different? Sorry if it's been covered I'm on my phone and can't read back.

sabenser

Postby sabenser » Tue Feb 08, 2011 9:09 pm

bostonlawchick wrote:Can I ask you guys where you are getting complete dates?

I've had zip in communication from them at all. I applied in mid December and heard nothing, emailed beginning for January to see if my application was complete, got a short reply back saying it was. That's it. Has everyone elses experience been different? Sorry if it's been covered I'm on my phone and can't read back.

They emailed me on 19 Jan saying my app was complete. That's the extent of my communication. I applied 20 Dec but without a reportable LSAT.

cowgirl_bebop

Postby cowgirl_bebop » Tue Feb 08, 2011 9:10 pm

bostonlawchick wrote:Can I ask you guys where you are getting complete dates?

I got an email saying they got my application was complete back in November. I sent it on 10/5 and didnt even get acknowledgment of receipt. Then I get an acceptance email on 1/27. GW is not big on communication.

R.R. Raskolnikov

Postby R.R. Raskolnikov » Tue Feb 08, 2011 10:20 pm

HappyinDC wrote: I just got my acceptance package from GW.

No scholarship information though... I'm assuming I didn't get one? Is that correct?

I'm 169 / 3.8, so I was hoping for at least SOMETHING. I mean the dean wrote on my acceptance letter "Great personal statement! You're an outstanding candidate! Hope tha tyou continue your law school adventure at GW this fall..." and such and such. Maybe they write that for everyone.

I'm surprised 169 / 3.8 got no $$. I had similar credentials (168/3.9) and received a merit scholarship award with my acceptance packet. If I had to guess I'd say my recommendations went a long way based on the reception they earned from a dean I spoke to at another school I got into. But you never know what each adcom is looking for.

I wouldn't give up hope for $$ yet though. I've heard UVa, for instance, makes some offers up front, then a round of other offers in March. I don't know GWU's policies, but if they don't do that you should still approach them to negotiate if you have gotten into higher ranked schools and/or if you've gotten substantial scholarships elsewhere. There is a lot of good info in the financial aid forum to pull this off, and apparently it can be very effective.

rjh456

Postby rjh456 » Tue Feb 08, 2011 10:27 pm

So i just got a fast rejection from GW. I feel really confused. I'm only one point above the 75th percentile for their LSAT and actually below the median for GPA, so yield protect doesn't make much sense to me. I mean I'm not shocked that they weren't ushering me into their JD program with a band and a parade...but not even waitlist? Any ideas? I just feel so defeated... :(
Last edited by rjh456 on Fri Mar 11, 2011 2:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

Flips88

Postby Flips88 » Tue Feb 08, 2011 10:28 pm

R.R. Raskolnikov wrote:I'm surprised 169 / 3.8 got no $$. I had similar credentials (168/3.9) and received a merit scholarship award with my acceptance packet. If I had to guess I'd say my recommendations went a long way based on the reception they earned from a dean I spoke to at another school I got into. But you never know what each adcom is looking for.

I wouldn't give up hope for $$ yet though. I've heard UVa, for instance, makes some offers up front, then a round of other offers in March. I don't know GWU's policies, but if they don't do that you should still approach them to negotiate if you have gotten into higher ranked schools and/or if you've gotten substantial scholarships elsewhere. There is a lot of good info in the financial aid forum to pull this off, and apparently it can be very effective.

FWIW, I emailed them today basically begging for some merit $ and got this:

At GW Law, we are blessed in that our applicant pool is much stronger than the applicant pools at most other law schools in the country. As a result, our merit scholarship awarding process is extremely competitive. We do not "match" scholarship offers that our admitted students receive from any other law schools.

It is always possible that a high number of admitted applicants to whom we have offered merit scholarships will decline our offers and that we will have funds available to make additional awards. However, in the five years that I have been at GW Law, this has not happened. Therefore, you should assume that you will not receive a merit scholarship from GW Law and proceed to apply for need-based financial aid.

SMA22

Postby SMA22 » Tue Feb 08, 2011 10:28 pm

R.R. Raskolnikov wrote:
HappyinDC wrote: I just got my acceptance package from GW.

No scholarship information though... I'm assuming I didn't get one? Is that correct?

I'm 169 / 3.8, so I was hoping for at least SOMETHING. I mean the dean wrote on my acceptance letter "Great personal statement! You're an outstanding candidate! Hope tha tyou continue your law school adventure at GW this fall..." and such and such. Maybe they write that for everyone.

I'm surprised 169 / 3.8 got no $$. I had similar credentials (168/3.9) and received a merit scholarship award with my acceptance packet. If I had to guess I'd say my recommendations went a long way based on the reception they earned from a dean I spoke to at another school I got into. But you never know what each adcom is looking for.

Same here, from the feedback I got on my acceptance, my volunteer work really seemed to push me over the edge. I got a very nice merit scholly, and I got a COL stipend as well, even with my weak UGPA. I've gotten into higher ranked schools, but GW was by far the most congratulatory, and I really feel like they actually read my application and PS. With your numbers, see what you can do.

JJDancer

Postby JJDancer » Wed Feb 09, 2011 12:19 am

"At GW Law, we are blessed in that our applicant pool is much stronger than the applicant pools at most other law schools in the country. As a result, our merit scholarship awarding process is extremely competitive. We do not "match" scholarship offers that our admitted students receive from any other law schools.

It is always possible that a high number of admitted applicants to whom we have offered merit scholarships will decline our offers and that we will have funds available to make additional awards. However, in the five years that I have been at GW Law, this has not happened. Therefore, you should assume that you will not receive a merit scholarship from GW Law and proceed to apply for need-based financial aid."

^^

That is HORRIBLE.

Flips88

Postby Flips88 » Wed Feb 09, 2011 12:26 am

JJDancer wrote:"At GW Law, we are blessed in that our applicant pool is much stronger than the applicant pools at most other law schools in the country. As a result, our merit scholarship awarding process is extremely competitive. We do not "match" scholarship offers that our admitted students receive from any other law schools.

It is always possible that a high number of admitted applicants to whom we have offered merit scholarships will decline our offers and that we will have funds available to make additional awards. However, in the five years that I have been at GW Law, this has not happened. Therefore, you should assume that you will not receive a merit scholarship from GW Law and proceed to apply for need-based financial aid."

^^

That is HORRIBLE.

I know. Basically it told me "You're shit of out luck, son. Enjoy a minimum of $175,000 worth of debt if you want to come here! KTHANXBAI!"

akili

Postby akili » Wed Feb 09, 2011 12:30 am

Flips88 wrote:
I know. Basically it told me "You're shit of out luck, son. Enjoy a minimum of $175,000 worth of debt if you want to come here! KTHANXBAI!"

LOL. +1

fatduck

Postby fatduck » Wed Feb 09, 2011 12:37 am

Flips88 wrote:
JJDancer wrote:"At GW Law, we are blessed in that our applicant pool is much stronger than the applicant pools at most other law schools in the country. As a result, our merit scholarship awarding process is extremely competitive. We do not "match" scholarship offers that our admitted students receive from any other law schools.

^^

That is HORRIBLE.

that's pretty lame but not totally unexpected. i guess you have to vote with your feet, right? $$ at WUSTL is looking pretty good right now...

Flips88

Postby Flips88 » Wed Feb 09, 2011 12:42 am

fatduck wrote:
Flips88 wrote:

^^

That is HORRIBLE.

that's pretty lame but not totally unexpected. i guess you have to vote with your feet, right? $$ at WUSTL is looking pretty good right now...

Waiting for an acceptance from WUSTL and some money god willing.

dcbound

Postby dcbound » Wed Feb 09, 2011 12:49 am

Here's to hoping they have to hit up their waitlist pretty good this year.

*fingers crossed*

fatduck

Postby fatduck » Wed Feb 09, 2011 12:49 am

Flips88 wrote:
fatduck wrote:that's pretty lame but not totally unexpected. i guess you have to vote with your feet, right? $$ at WUSTL is looking pretty good right now...

seems like they've been throwing money at pretty much anyone who's above one of their medians, i know i got $75k with pretty mediocre numbers.

Flips88

Postby Flips88 » Wed Feb 09, 2011 12:54 am

fatduck wrote:
Flips88 wrote:
fatduck wrote:that's pretty lame but not totally unexpected. i guess you have to vote with your feet, right? $$ at WUSTL is looking pretty good right now...

seems like they've been throwing money at pretty much anyone who's above one of their medians, i know i got $75k with pretty mediocre numbers.

I'm 2 pts below LSAT median, but have a 4.0 anchoring me. Here's hoping

atkpl

Postby atkpl » Wed Feb 09, 2011 2:48 am

Hi guys,

Does GW use its wait-list extensively???

Skyhook

Postby Skyhook » Wed Feb 09, 2011 10:57 am

This scholly policy makes no sense. 105k or nothing?!
Throw us a little bit of cash, DC is expensive right!

AMG23

Postby AMG23 » Wed Feb 09, 2011 2:05 pm

I'm from the DC area and didn't particularly want to go back to DC so I didn't apply to GW. I'm having second thoughts about my decision--seeing that a lot of people got 105k scholarships. I know applications aren't due until 3/31. Is there any chance the admissions committee could still hand out scholarships this late in the cycle?

R.R. Raskolnikov

Postby R.R. Raskolnikov » Wed Feb 09, 2011 2:14 pm

AMG23 wrote:I'm from the DC area and didn't particularly want to go back to DC so I didn't apply to GW. I'm having second thoughts about my decision--seeing that a lot of people got 105k scholarships. I know applications aren't due until 3/31. Is there any chance the admissions committee could still hand out scholarships this late in the cycle?

I got my acceptance packet with the 105K scholly and 1st year free housing a week ago, but I applied around Dec. 11 IIRC. It's late in the game, but if you have great numbers and other people who got into better schools turn down scholarships then you never know.

Flips88

Postby Flips88 » Wed Feb 09, 2011 2:16 pm

AMG23 wrote:I'm from the DC area and didn't particularly want to go back to DC so I didn't apply to GW. I'm having second thoughts about my decision--seeing that a lot of people got 105k scholarships. I know applications aren't due until 3/31. Is there any chance the admissions committee could still hand out scholarships this late in the cycle?

Saying a lot of people got $105k scholarship is stretching it. I'd say it's more like 1 in 5, so you also have a 4 in 5 chance of getting nothing.

AMG23

Postby AMG23 » Wed Feb 09, 2011 2:21 pm

Flips88 wrote:

Saying a lot of people got $105k scholarship is stretching it. I'd say it's more like 1 in 5, so you also have a 4 in 5 chance of getting nothing.

Yeah I understand that. I was asking if the chance to be that 1 out of 5 is still the same now as it was in Nov/Dec. Even less of a chance might be worth the application fee for me.

R.R. Raskolnikov

Postby R.R. Raskolnikov » Wed Feb 09, 2011 2:46 pm

AMG23 wrote:
Flips88 wrote:

Yeah I understand that. I was asking if the chance to be that 1 out of 5 is still the same now as it was in Nov/Dec. Even less of a chance might be worth the application fee for me.

I don't know if it's a good thing or a bad thing for you that they've seemingly been a bit arbitrary in how they've given out the merit $$ (at least anecdotally, and from a numbers standpoint). Maybe if you have good soft factors you'll have a shot, but who knows. It's getting awfully late though so I'd get it out ASAP.

As a side note, it doesn't look great for the school that they are being borderline curt/rude with some people who inquire about aid. It also felt like it took a year between my admission email and the packet showing up in the mail, so they were missing a chance to sell me on their school before word came in from elsewhere. You'd think they might want to try warming up to their prospective students a little more given it's so easy to exchange information about admissions practices these days.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”