GW 2011 Applicants

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
HappyinDC

Re: GW 2011 Applicants

Postby HappyinDC » Fri Feb 04, 2011 3:14 pm

cowgirl_bebop wrote:
jpk5372 wrote:
Flips88 wrote:
krad wrote:Got my packet in the mail yesterday, was in via email last Thurs (posted stats, etc. before). No scholly info. COA at GW is absurd :|

I emailed them about merit scholarship and got a surprisingly impersonal response. "While it is possible that an award may be offered to you later down the road, you should move forward on the assumption that you will not receive a scholarship offer." I also asked about travel reimbursement. They only reimburse you if you matriculate. Why you so frustrating GW? :?

THANK YOU! I asked about aid and this happened to me too, and my first thought was that the tone of the email wasn't very nice... Anyway we'll see what happens, I was really pulling for GW to make it worth my while since I live in DC and actually really like the school. Without a huge scholly though its just out of the question.

Ugh, cheap bastards! Whe are they so tightfisted?

Im sorry, GW. I take it back. Please give me money!

To those that sent emails and received that response, who did you send the email to and how long until you received the response? I sent an email Wednesday morning after talking to someone on the phone who told me to send my request to him directly but have not received a response or acknowledgment...

HappyinDC

Postby HappyinDC » Fri Feb 04, 2011 3:16 pm

dot wrote:
dcgirl1013 wrote:I worked for GW while I was in Undergrad and while I am sad too I didn't get any $$ to GW law school I do understand where the school is coming from. GW has a terrible endowment and despite the insane cost of tuition it only covers around 70% of the cost of educating each student. GW also gives out a lot of need based aid and focuses as much if not more on that than merit scholarships. I have known manyyyyyy more people get need based aid than merit scholarships. GW has been climbing in the ranks in both undergrad and law school exponentially in the last 50 years and that has cost the school a lot of money investing in buildings, academics, etc. and I think GWs goal is to constantly become the best school it can be rather than give out a ton of merit scholarships and be satisfied being a mediocre school with mediocre professors, buildings and resources.

Can't speak for the law school, again, but the effect this (their need-based aid wasn't to be lauded, either) had on diversity (read: # of students who weren't just there because they are upper-middle-class, had taken some SAT courses and were in for the rite of passage that is going to university) in the UG was terrible. So I don't really agree with your positive light you shine on their stinginess with aid money.

I went to GW for UG and they were VERY generous with money, particularly need-based money because my family was very much lower middle class income...

mitz1489

Postby mitz1489 » Fri Feb 04, 2011 3:34 pm

I actually emailed them asking the same thing about merit scholarships and the reply was EXTREMELY impersonal and edging on the rude side. I emailed the financial advisor I was given in the acceptance package. Not sure if its worth going here (Im deciding between there and Vandy), but I'm having a really tough time making that decision!

HappyinDC

Postby HappyinDC » Fri Feb 04, 2011 3:45 pm

mitz1489 wrote:I actually emailed them asking the same thing about merit scholarships and the reply was EXTREMELY impersonal and edging on the rude side. I emailed the financial advisor I was given in the acceptance package. Not sure if its worth going here (Im deciding between there and Vandy), but I'm having a really tough time making that decision!

How long did it take you to receive a response?

Flips88

Postby Flips88 » Fri Feb 04, 2011 3:48 pm

HappyinDC wrote:
mitz1489 wrote:I actually emailed them asking the same thing about merit scholarships and the reply was EXTREMELY impersonal and edging on the rude side. I emailed the financial advisor I was given in the acceptance package. Not sure if its worth going here (Im deciding between there and Vandy), but I'm having a really tough time making that decision!

I'm the former impersonal email recipient and it took one day.

cowgirl_bebop

Postby cowgirl_bebop » Fri Feb 04, 2011 3:49 pm

HappyinDC wrote:

I emailed my financial adviser and didnt hear ANYTHING. This "Beth" person cant even shoot me a quick email?

bender18

Postby bender18 » Fri Feb 04, 2011 3:58 pm

I guess it depends on who you talk to. I emailed the guy who I found in the admittance packet to inquire about housing and he was extremely nice and helpful. He even told me to feel free to email him if I have any other questions about GW in general (he's also a part-time law student there now apparently).
Last edited by bender18 on Fri Feb 04, 2011 4:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

androstan

Postby androstan » Fri Feb 04, 2011 4:18 pm

bender18 wrote:It depends on who you talk to. I emailed the guy who I found in the admittance packet to inquire about housing and he was extremely nice and helpful. He even told me to feel free to email him if I have any other questions about GW in general (he's also a part-time law student there now apparently).

+1, my financial aid advisor was very polite and got back to me within a day.

GW seems to be making some bizarre scholly decisions:

http://lawschoolnumbers.com/lilias

This candidate was strong enough to get 30k from GULC, 25k from UVA, but GW can't offer her anything?

thelaststraw05

Postby thelaststraw05 » Fri Feb 04, 2011 4:26 pm

androstan wrote:
bender18 wrote:It depends on who you talk to. I emailed the guy who I found in the admittance packet to inquire about housing and he was extremely nice and helpful. He even told me to feel free to email him if I have any other questions about GW in general (he's also a part-time law student there now apparently).

This candidate was strong enough to get 30k from GULC, 25k from UVA, but GW can't offer her anything?

That's weird. I don't think GULC has given out money yet...http://gulc.lawschoolnumbers.com/applicants/1011/?&p=1

mitz1489

Postby mitz1489 » Fri Feb 04, 2011 4:27 pm

Yeah I actually spoke to him too and he was also really nice..Oh GW and their mixed vibes.

androstan

Postby androstan » Fri Feb 04, 2011 4:29 pm

thelaststraw05 wrote:
androstan wrote:

That's weird. I don't think GULC has given out money yet...http://gulc.lawschoolnumbers.com/applicants/1011/?&p=1

Good point, lilias is the only person on LSN for this cycle reporting scholarship money from GULC. Maybe something's not right here.

Flips88

Postby Flips88 » Fri Feb 04, 2011 4:30 pm

androstan wrote:
Good point, lilias is the only person on LSN for this cycle reporting scholarship money from GULC. Maybe something's not right here.

Likely that she got the 30k/year deal at GW and put it under GULC on LSN on accident.

HappyinDC

Postby HappyinDC » Fri Feb 04, 2011 4:43 pm

mitz1489 wrote:

Yeah I actually spoke to him too and he was also really nice..Oh GW and their mixed vibes.

It's like undergrad all over!

somewhere

Postby somewhere » Fri Feb 04, 2011 5:06 pm

I'm surprised at GW's reluctance with scholarships, too. Illinois—one step down in the rankings—just offered me a full-ride. Acceptances at several top-10 schools already. GW did not mention money at all.

Peg

Postby Peg » Sat Feb 05, 2011 12:09 am

Hi, fellow GW hopefuls. Since GULC said bye-bye, and I am not really interested in going to AU and not getting a job later, I decided to browse TT while waiting for GW to hand down my decision. What do you guys think my chances are with 3.1/168? I've been told waitlisted or accepted, but figured I'd ask again.

fatduck

Postby fatduck » Sat Feb 05, 2011 12:24 am

Peg wrote:Hi, fellow GW hopefuls. Since GULC said bye-bye, and I am not really interested in going to AU and not getting a job later, I decided to browse TT while waiting for GW to hand down my decision. What do you guys think my chances are with 3.1/168? I've been told waitlisted or accepted, but figured I'd ask again.

http://gw.lawschoolnumbers.com/stats

could go either way really

goblin

Postby goblin » Sat Feb 05, 2011 1:01 am

fatduck wrote:
Peg wrote:Hi, fellow GW hopefuls. Since GULC said bye-bye, and I am not really interested in going to AU and not getting a job later, I decided to browse TT while waiting for GW to hand down my decision. What do you guys think my chances are with 3.1/168? I've been told waitlisted or accepted, but figured I'd ask again.

http://gw.lawschoolnumbers.com/stats

could go either way really

Peg, I have similar stats as you, and I am that little green acceptance dot at or near your location.

PM me if you want to compare apps, but I agree with fatduck

Peg

Postby Peg » Sat Feb 05, 2011 5:09 am

goblin wrote:Peg, I have similar stats as you, and I am that little green acceptance dot at or near your location.

PM me if you want to compare apps, but I agree with fatduck

Thanks goblin, you've got a PM.

FiveSermon

Postby FiveSermon » Sat Feb 05, 2011 5:43 am

I'm amazed that people with sub 3.0 GPA and Sub 170 LSAT are expecting scholarships to GWU. Even if you are black this is still hilarious.

cowgirl_bebop

Postby cowgirl_bebop » Sat Feb 05, 2011 10:31 am

FiveSermon wrote:I'm amazed that people with sub 3.0 GPA and Sub 170 LSAT are expecting scholarships to GWU. Even if you are black this is still hilarious.

Not really expecting, but I was hoping against hope, because that was the only possible way I would be able to attend. But as expected, it didnt happen, so GW is not going to happen. Im not going to withdraw until I officially accept an offer somewhere else though.

Oh well...

maglialoro

Postby maglialoro » Sat Feb 05, 2011 11:36 am

-
Last edited by maglialoro on Thu Mar 10, 2011 9:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

NorCalBruin

Postby NorCalBruin » Sat Feb 05, 2011 6:04 pm

I just got my acceptance package from GW.

No scholarship information though... I'm assuming I didn't get one? Is that correct?

I'm 169 / 3.8, so I was hoping for at least SOMETHING. I mean the dean wrote on my acceptance letter "Great personal statement! You're an outstanding candidate! Hope tha tyou continue your law school adventure at GW this fall..." and such and such. Maybe they write that for everyone.

cowgirl_bebop

Postby cowgirl_bebop » Sat Feb 05, 2011 6:19 pm

NorCalBruin wrote:I just got my acceptance package from GW.

No scholarship information though... I'm assuming I didn't get one? Is that correct?

I'm 169 / 3.8, so I was hoping for at least SOMETHING. I mean the dean wrote on my acceptance letter "Great personal statement! You're an outstanding candidate! Hope tha tyou continue your law school adventure at GW this fall..." and such and such. Maybe they write that for everyone.

My note from the dean was slightly different. Im sure he at least glanced at my PS, because I wrote it about my mother's brain cancer and he mentioned something like "she must be so proud" blah blah blah. Money would have been nicer, lol

akili

Postby akili » Sat Feb 05, 2011 6:34 pm

I got sort of a similar note and no $$ (mine said something from my PS)

weejonbu

Postby weejonbu » Sat Feb 05, 2011 6:36 pm

I got my acceptance packet today as well, and the handwritten note was almost word-for-word the same: "You're an outstanding candidate - great personal statement! I hope you will join the GW community this fall."

Weird, huh?

Btw, I have a question for people on this forum. It appears I haven't been offered any money yet either, and by all means I am a debt averse person. But I got through undergrad with $0 debt, and I don't see a huge issue with having some after law school, as starting pay, even ITE, is pretty decent. Yeah, GWU is Gtown's red-headed stepchild, and yeah COL in DC is totally ridiculous. . . but I don't know, for some reason I will still VERY seriously consider this school barring acceptances at a better school or a cheaper but comparable option. Just seems like everyone is ready to withdraw the minute they get accepted at GWU.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”