GW 2011 Applicants

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
cowgirl_bebop
Posts: 901
Joined: Sun Aug 15, 2010 2:32 pm

Re: GW 2011 Applicants

Postby cowgirl_bebop » Thu Feb 03, 2011 2:00 pm

jpk5372 wrote:
Flips88 wrote:
krad wrote:Got my packet in the mail yesterday, was in via email last Thurs (posted stats, etc. before). No scholly info. COA at GW is absurd :|

I emailed them about merit scholarship and got a surprisingly impersonal response. "While it is possible that an award may be offered to you later down the road, you should move forward on the assumption that you will not receive a scholarship offer." I also asked about travel reimbursement. They only reimburse you if you matriculate. Why you so frustrating GW? :?


THANK YOU! I asked about aid and this happened to me too, and my first thought was that the tone of the email wasn't very nice... Anyway we'll see what happens, I was really pulling for GW to make it worth my while since I live in DC and actually really like the school. Without a huge scholly though its just out of the question.


Ugh, cheap bastards! Whe are they so tightfisted?

Im sorry, GW. I take it back. Please give me money!

dcgirl1013
Posts: 65
Joined: Mon Jan 31, 2011 2:46 pm

Re: GW 2011 Applicants

Postby dcgirl1013 » Thu Feb 03, 2011 2:40 pm

I worked for GW while I was in Undergrad and while I am sad too I didn't get any $$ to GW law school I do understand where the school is coming from. GW has a terrible endowment and despite the insane cost of tuition it only covers around 70% of the cost of educating each student. GW also gives out a lot of need based aid and focuses as much if not more on that than merit scholarships. I have known manyyyyyy more people get need based aid than merit scholarships. GW has been climbing in the ranks in both undergrad and law school exponentially in the last 50 years and that has cost the school a lot of money investing in buildings, academics, etc. and I think GWs goal is to constantly become the best school it can be rather than give out a ton of merit scholarships and be satisfied being a mediocre school with mediocre professors, buildings and resources.

cowgirl_bebop wrote:
jpk5372 wrote:
Flips88 wrote:
krad wrote:Got my packet in the mail yesterday, was in via email last Thurs (posted stats, etc. before). No scholly info. COA at GW is absurd :|

I emailed them about merit scholarship and got a surprisingly impersonal response. "While it is possible that an award may be offered to you later down the road, you should move forward on the assumption that you will not receive a scholarship offer." I also asked about travel reimbursement. They only reimburse you if you matriculate. Why you so frustrating GW? :?


THANK YOU! I asked about aid and this happened to me too, and my first thought was that the tone of the email wasn't very nice... Anyway we'll see what happens, I was really pulling for GW to make it worth my while since I live in DC and actually really like the school. Without a huge scholly though its just out of the question.


Ugh, cheap bastards! Whe are they so tightfisted?

Im sorry, GW. I take it back. Please give me money!

dcbound
Posts: 62
Joined: Wed Jan 05, 2011 2:36 pm

Re: GW 2011 Applicants

Postby dcbound » Thu Feb 03, 2011 3:14 pm

Gemini wrote:I feel like GW is being really cheap this year and is trying to matriculate non-scholly students only lol. Hence why no one is getting money.

I say we stick it to the man and alllll decline the offer of admission.



I think is a really, really, really good idea. I think you all should consider this....

User avatar
Flips88
Posts: 13624
Joined: Sun Oct 10, 2010 7:42 pm

Re: GW 2011 Applicants

Postby Flips88 » Thu Feb 03, 2011 4:16 pm

George Washington isn't well endowed. Well there goes my respect for the Founding Father!

User avatar
akili
Posts: 1950
Joined: Thu Jul 09, 2009 9:21 pm

Re: GW 2011 Applicants

Postby akili » Thu Feb 03, 2011 5:50 pm

Bummer, got my packet and while it contained a very nice note from the Dean...no $$. Breaks my heart, but there is no way I could justify sticker at GW over in-state AND a scholly at UT. :( :(

User avatar
Gotti
Posts: 3436
Joined: Tue Nov 09, 2010 3:46 pm

Re: GW 2011 Applicants

Postby Gotti » Thu Feb 03, 2011 5:51 pm

akili wrote:Bummer, got my packet and while it contained a very nice note from the Dean...no $$. Breaks my heart, but there is no way I could justify sticker at GW over in-state AND a scholly at UT. :( :(

Sorry :( UT is still an amazing school & congrats on the scholly! Are you going there for sure?

User avatar
akili
Posts: 1950
Joined: Thu Jul 09, 2009 9:21 pm

Re: GW 2011 Applicants

Postby akili » Thu Feb 03, 2011 5:53 pm

Gotti wrote:
akili wrote:Bummer, got my packet and while it contained a very nice note from the Dean...no $$. Breaks my heart, but there is no way I could justify sticker at GW over in-state AND a scholly at UT. :( :(

Sorry :( UT is still an amazing school & congrats on the scholly! Are you going there for sure?


It's looking more and more like it every day. W&M ($$), Vandy ($), or Michigan could really change my mind. Man, I'm bummed about GW. Such a great school. I'll see if anything comes my way later I guess.

maglialoro
Posts: 281
Joined: Fri Jun 05, 2009 4:25 pm

Re: GW 2011 Applicants

Postby maglialoro » Thu Feb 03, 2011 6:13 pm

-
Last edited by maglialoro on Thu Mar 10, 2011 9:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
jwrash
Posts: 261
Joined: Sun Oct 10, 2010 9:08 pm

Re: GW 2011 Applicants

Postby jwrash » Thu Feb 03, 2011 6:31 pm

Got my packet yesterday. In with the $106k and first-year housing expenses. Definitely makes GW an attractive option now.

User avatar
Gemini
Posts: 1943
Joined: Thu Mar 11, 2010 9:23 pm

Re: GW 2011 Applicants

Postby Gemini » Thu Feb 03, 2011 6:33 pm

Flips88 wrote:George Washington isn't well endowed. Well there goes my respect for the Founding Father!


:lol: :lol:
I was always more of a Ben Franklin girl, myself.

User avatar
Flips88
Posts: 13624
Joined: Sun Oct 10, 2010 7:42 pm

Re: GW 2011 Applicants

Postby Flips88 » Thu Feb 03, 2011 6:37 pm

jwrash wrote:Got my packet yesterday. In with the $106k and first-year housing expenses. Definitely makes GW an attractive option now.


I'm gonna guess LSAT of 168+

User avatar
dot
Posts: 250
Joined: Fri Nov 28, 2008 6:13 pm

Re: GW 2011 Applicants

Postby dot » Thu Feb 03, 2011 7:33 pm

dcgirl1013 wrote:I worked for GW while I was in Undergrad and while I am sad too I didn't get any $$ to GW law school I do understand where the school is coming from. GW has a terrible endowment and despite the insane cost of tuition it only covers around 70% of the cost of educating each student. GW also gives out a lot of need based aid and focuses as much if not more on that than merit scholarships. I have known manyyyyyy more people get need based aid than merit scholarships. GW has been climbing in the ranks in both undergrad and law school exponentially in the last 50 years and that has cost the school a lot of money investing in buildings, academics, etc. and I think GWs goal is to constantly become the best school it can be rather than give out a ton of merit scholarships and be satisfied being a mediocre school with mediocre professors, buildings and resources.


Can't speak for the law school, again, but the effect this (their need-based aid wasn't to be lauded, either) had on diversity (read: # of students who weren't just there because they are upper-middle-class, had taken some SAT courses and were in for the rite of passage that is going to university) in the UG was terrible. So I don't really agree with your positive light you shine on their stinginess with aid money.

JJDancer
Posts: 1564
Joined: Sun Jul 26, 2009 7:41 pm

Re: GW 2011 Applicants

Postby JJDancer » Fri Feb 04, 2011 12:21 am

Anyone accepted with a 168, that wasn't offered $? (Still baffled at this).

eta: GPAs help!
168/3.7 no $, GW UG :x
Last edited by JJDancer on Fri Feb 04, 2011 12:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
akili
Posts: 1950
Joined: Thu Jul 09, 2009 9:21 pm

Re: GW 2011 Applicants

Postby akili » Fri Feb 04, 2011 12:24 am

JJDancer wrote:Anyone accepted with a 168, that wasn't offered $? (Still baffled at this).


169..no moneh

User avatar
fatduck
Posts: 4186
Joined: Mon Sep 13, 2010 10:16 pm

Re: GW 2011 Applicants

Postby fatduck » Fri Feb 04, 2011 12:26 am

170, no bucks, shitty gpa though. I even applied ED :|

User avatar
BlakcMajikc
Posts: 763
Joined: Fri Oct 29, 2010 1:05 pm

Re: GW 2011 Applicants

Postby BlakcMajikc » Fri Feb 04, 2011 12:30 am

Finally got the admit package.

$106k deal 90k in pure tuition and 16k in housing stipend (or free housing first year)

170/3.39 MBA URM

User avatar
bigjinjapan
Posts: 247
Joined: Sun Jan 16, 2011 3:02 am

Re: GW 2011 Applicants

Postby bigjinjapan » Fri Feb 04, 2011 7:28 am

Still waitin' on that acceptance packet. Come on G-dub, didn't you at least spring for air mail???

User avatar
androstan
Posts: 2588
Joined: Mon Jul 19, 2010 8:07 am

Re: GW 2011 Applicants

Postby androstan » Fri Feb 04, 2011 11:24 am

dot wrote:
dcgirl1013 wrote:I worked for GW while I was in Undergrad and while I am sad too I didn't get any $$ to GW law school I do understand where the school is coming from. GW has a terrible endowment and despite the insane cost of tuition it only covers around 70% of the cost of educating each student. GW also gives out a lot of need based aid and focuses as much if not more on that than merit scholarships. I have known manyyyyyy more people get need based aid than merit scholarships. GW has been climbing in the ranks in both undergrad and law school exponentially in the last 50 years and that has cost the school a lot of money investing in buildings, academics, etc. and I think GWs goal is to constantly become the best school it can be rather than give out a ton of merit scholarships and be satisfied being a mediocre school with mediocre professors, buildings and resources.


Can't speak for the law school, again, but the effect this (their need-based aid wasn't to be lauded, either) had on diversity (read: # of students who weren't just there because they are upper-middle-class, had taken some SAT courses and were in for the rite of passage that is going to university) in the UG was terrible. So I don't really agree with your positive light you shine on their stinginess with aid money.


Doesn't focusing on need-based aid promote diversity?

User avatar
dot
Posts: 250
Joined: Fri Nov 28, 2008 6:13 pm

Re: GW 2011 Applicants

Postby dot » Fri Feb 04, 2011 12:52 pm

androstan wrote:
dot wrote:
dcgirl1013 wrote:I worked for GW while I was in Undergrad and while I am sad too I didn't get any $$ to GW law school I do understand where the school is coming from. GW has a terrible endowment and despite the insane cost of tuition it only covers around 70% of the cost of educating each student. GW also gives out a lot of need based aid and focuses as much if not more on that than merit scholarships. I have known manyyyyyy more people get need based aid than merit scholarships. GW has been climbing in the ranks in both undergrad and law school exponentially in the last 50 years and that has cost the school a lot of money investing in buildings, academics, etc. and I think GWs goal is to constantly become the best school it can be rather than give out a ton of merit scholarships and be satisfied being a mediocre school with mediocre professors, buildings and resources.


Can't speak for the law school, again, but the effect this (their need-based aid wasn't to be lauded, either) had on diversity (read: # of students who weren't just there because they are upper-middle-class, had taken some SAT courses and were in for the rite of passage that is going to university) in the UG was terrible. So I don't really agree with your positive light you shine on their stinginess with aid money.


Doesn't focusing on need-based aid promote diversity?


See bolded. Granted, that statement wasn't based on statistical comparison to other schools, rather just feeling I had from my own experience/talking to other students/dealing with the finaid office.

I actually did get a fair amount of merit aid, but it was still cheaper to study abroad in Europe than get ripped off by GW on campus - they really found every way possible to extract money from you.

SupraVln180
Posts: 883
Joined: Mon Apr 19, 2010 10:50 pm

Re: GW 2011 Applicants

Postby SupraVln180 » Fri Feb 04, 2011 12:56 pm

akili wrote:
JJDancer wrote:Anyone accepted with a 168, that wasn't offered $? (Still baffled at this).


169..no moneh



If I were you, I would just go to Texas. If you're in-state you obviously have ties to the area and Texas is the best legal market in the country right now. I get that you probably want to get away from home for a little, but if I had ties to Texas, I would go to UT and enjoy a prosperous legal career in Dallas or San Antonio.

Texas is a better school than GW anyway, and it's the man in it's area, not G-Town's little brother. Don't get me wrong, GW is dope and DC is cool, but its not worth getting worked up over no money when you have better options.

User avatar
thelaststraw05
Posts: 1028
Joined: Fri Nov 05, 2010 7:47 am

Re: GW 2011 Applicants

Postby thelaststraw05 » Fri Feb 04, 2011 1:00 pm

akili wrote:
JJDancer wrote:Anyone accepted with a 168, that wasn't offered $? (Still baffled at this).


169..no moneh


171 - no money.

At least University of Michigan gave me $15k a year.

User avatar
Gotti
Posts: 3436
Joined: Tue Nov 09, 2010 3:46 pm

Re: GW 2011 Applicants

Postby Gotti » Fri Feb 04, 2011 1:07 pm

thelaststraw05 wrote:
akili wrote:
JJDancer wrote:Anyone accepted with a 168, that wasn't offered $? (Still baffled at this).


169..no moneh


171 - no money.

At least University of Michigan gave me $15k a year.

GPA?

User avatar
akili
Posts: 1950
Joined: Thu Jul 09, 2009 9:21 pm

Re: GW 2011 Applicants

Postby akili » Fri Feb 04, 2011 1:10 pm

SupraVln180 wrote:
akili wrote:
JJDancer wrote:Anyone accepted with a 168, that wasn't offered $? (Still baffled at this).


169..no moneh



If I were you, I would just go to Texas. If you're in-state you obviously have ties to the area and Texas is the best legal market in the country right now. I get that you probably want to get away from home for a little, but if I had ties to Texas, I would go to UT and enjoy a prosperous legal career in Dallas or San Antonio.

Texas is a better school than GW anyway, and it's the man in it's area, not G-Town's little brother. Don't get me wrong, GW is dope and DC is cool, but its not worth getting worked up over no money when you have better options.


I know UT is great and I'm really excited to have the option, but I really want to get out of Texas. I did for UG and it was awesome. I dislike the heat a lot and don't really want to live in Dallas or Houston. That's why other schools are still very attractive to me.

User avatar
thelaststraw05
Posts: 1028
Joined: Fri Nov 05, 2010 7:47 am

Re: GW 2011 Applicants

Postby thelaststraw05 » Fri Feb 04, 2011 1:20 pm

Gotti wrote:
thelaststraw05 wrote:
akili wrote:
JJDancer wrote:Anyone accepted with a 168, that wasn't offered $? (Still baffled at this).


169..no moneh


171 - no money.

At least University of Michigan gave me $15k a year.

GPA?


171/3.5

I was accepted back in the 12/22 batch. I was accepted by GW and Gtown at the same time. I talked to GW at the time and they told me they don't really negotiate.

At this point, GW has sort of dropped off the radar because 1) They cost ~$70,000 a year, 2) I'm in at better schools (Michigan, UVA, Gtown) that would cost about the same or less, and 3) I'm in at similarly ranked schools (UIUC) that would cost a lot less ($30,000 scholarship).

I just wanted to contribute to this thread because GW's lack of scholarship funds seems like it could really come back to bite them.

cowgirl_bebop
Posts: 901
Joined: Sun Aug 15, 2010 2:32 pm

Re: GW 2011 Applicants

Postby cowgirl_bebop » Fri Feb 04, 2011 1:30 pm

Went to visit today it was lovely. Not $75K per year in debt lovely, but lovely nonetheless.




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], Google [Bot], Google Adsense [Bot] and 8 guests