GW 2011 Applicants

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
Gemini

Re: GW 2011 Applicants

Postby Gemini » Sun Jan 30, 2011 5:37 pm

I am BU>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> GW. The difference in price alone makes my decision for me.

Gotti

Postby Gotti » Sun Jan 30, 2011 5:39 pm

PomasThynchon wrote:
dcbound wrote:
PuckCU06 wrote:To everyone on the WL, I hope this comes across the way it's meant... with empathy... I've been WL by nearly all my top choices and GW is the only one to accept me so far... here's hoping fate smiles on all of us... I get off my WLs, and free a spot for one of you at GW... a fine school, but too close to home.

BU accepted you. I hear there are better looking people up there!!

Would you do GW over BU? I might be in the same boat decision wise.

If I don't get off Penn's WL and don't get into any T14 schools, I'll be grappling with this decision myself. If Fordham lets me in, it'll be Fordham vs GW vs BU all at sticker unless I get need based aid or something. My LSAT was just too low for those schools to give me any merit $$ and I don't think they give a shit about GPA's. But I have no debt from UG and I think I may be able to get some help from parents, but still...I need help deciding and idk what the best option is lol. Sry to derail the thread, just wanted to share my similar situation.

NZA

Postby NZA » Sun Jan 30, 2011 5:41 pm

Gemini wrote:I am BU>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> GW. The difference in price alone makes my decision for me.

If I don't get Michigan or Cornell, this may be the decision I make. :?

Going to one of the best schools for the Boston market v. going to GW and competing against an enormous class of GULC kids kind of makes the choice easy for me.

But GWU is a great school nonetheless.

Gotti

Postby Gotti » Sun Jan 30, 2011 5:43 pm

NZA wrote:
Gemini wrote:I am BU>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> GW. The difference in price alone makes my decision for me.

Going to one of the best schools for the Boston market v. going to GW and competing against an enormous class of GULC kids kind of makes the choice easy for me.

But what if you don't wanna stay in Boston afterwards? :?

NZA

Postby NZA » Sun Jan 30, 2011 5:44 pm

Gotti wrote:
NZA wrote:

But what if you don't wanna stay in Boston afterwards? :?

Well, according to BU's TLS article, they apparently place well in CA, which would be cool.

URMdan

Postby URMdan » Sun Jan 30, 2011 9:08 pm

NZA wrote:

Lots of GULC kids won't be competing for the same jobs as you because they have the freedom to practice anywhere.

PomasThynchon

Postby PomasThynchon » Mon Jan 31, 2011 12:21 am

Would scholly from both affect your decision? I prefer BU (love Boston), but haven't heard back. I'll count my blessings with GW for now though.

PomasThynchon

Postby PomasThynchon » Mon Jan 31, 2011 12:25 am

NZA wrote:

I agree, but GW (at least before this economy) an GULC had comparable employment prospects (definitely in DC, arguably in the region, not so much nationwide). My target cities to live in are Boston, DC, New York, sort of in that order, so it's a wash for me.

Or maybe it's just my insecure self bracing for a BU rejection! Ha.

PomasThynchon

Postby PomasThynchon » Mon Jan 31, 2011 12:31 am

Meh I take that back. Hard to pass up the unique extracurricular opportunities GW's awesome location offers, especially given my career interests. Really is a wash for me, but I actually think I would do GW. Both schools have a solid hold on their respective markets. And I'm sure a GW degree carries well in Boston, just as I'm sure a BU degree carries well in DC.

PuckCU06

Postby PuckCU06 » Mon Jan 31, 2011 3:08 am

Sorry for taking time to respond... tried to stay away from all the law school stuff this weekend.
Yes, just heard about BU-- a fine school. Love love love Boston, better teams, better food, great music, beautiful men! But, all substantial things being relatively equal between BU and GW, Boston is too cold for me, and GW is better ranked. Really hoping for NYU, with Vandy as my second choice...

This game is cruel... enough to cause "another tired man lay down his hand and quit the holy game of poker"

PomasThynchon wrote:
dcbound wrote:
PuckCU06 wrote:To everyone on the WL, I hope this comes across the way it's meant... with empathy... I've been WL by nearly all my top choices and GW is the only one to accept me so far... here's hoping fate smiles on all of us... I get off my WLs, and free a spot for one of you at GW... a fine school, but too close to home.

PomasThynchon

Postby PomasThynchon » Mon Jan 31, 2011 3:16 pm

PuckCU06 wrote:Sorry for taking time to respond... tried to stay away from all the law school stuff this weekend.
Yes, just heard about BU-- a fine school. Love love love Boston, better teams, better food, great music, beautiful men! But, all substantial things being relatively equal between BU and GW, Boston is too cold for me, and GW is better ranked. Really hoping for NYU, with Vandy as my second choice...

This game is cruel... enough to cause "another tired man lay down his hand and quit the holy game of poker"

PomasThynchon wrote:
dcbound wrote:

Hopefully my GW acceptance is a good indication of my chances at BU. But who knows.

Gemini

Postby Gemini » Mon Jan 31, 2011 3:22 pm

PomasThynchon wrote:

Would scholly from both affect your decision? I prefer BU (love Boston), but haven't heard back. I'll count my blessings with GW for now though.

I am a 164 so I know I'd get no scholly if accepted. As a matter of fact, I AM accepted to GW and have no scholly money. But GW does need-based grants and I don't think BU has that. Regardless, I would choose BU because I <3 BU and would love to work and live in Boston.

minuit

Postby minuit » Mon Jan 31, 2011 3:24 pm

Gemini wrote:
PomasThynchon wrote:

I am a 164 so I know I'd get no scholly if accepted. As a matter of fact, I AM accepted to GW and have no scholly money. But GW does need-based grants and I don't think BU has that. Regardless, I would choose BU because I <3 BU and would love to work and live in Boston.

Gemini, I am silently rooting for you over here. I really hope you get into BU or BC! :)

HappyinDC

Postby HappyinDC » Mon Jan 31, 2011 3:59 pm

queenlizzie13 wrote:
masterthearts wrote:Just got my package yesterday. (Acceptance came last week).
In with $30K/year scholly and free housing (15K value) for the first year.
Now I don't know if I should still go to gulc at sticker. Will job prospects be much better coming out of gulc? At this point, the possibility of a corporate job is my main concern.

Are they 100k better? Probably not. You'd be turning down 105k...that is a significant amount of $$. It all depends whether you think GULC is worth however much more $ you'd be paying to attend the school versus GW.

And I don't think the difference in job prospects is worth going sticker at GULC versus taking the $ at GW.

+100

Gemini

Postby Gemini » Mon Jan 31, 2011 7:14 pm

minuit wrote:
Gemini wrote:
PomasThynchon wrote:

Gemini, I am silently rooting for you over here. I really hope you get into BU or BC! :)

Aww, I just saw this. <3

androstan

Postby androstan » Mon Jan 31, 2011 7:18 pm

NZA wrote:

There may be more students "ahead" of you coming out of GW, but aren't there more attorney jobs in DC than Boston?

apple1234

Postby apple1234 » Mon Jan 31, 2011 9:40 pm

Waitlisted last week. 3.8/166. :(

NorCalBruin

Postby NorCalBruin » Tue Feb 01, 2011 7:58 pm

In today! Still awaiting financial aid / scholarship information. Stats: 169/3.8

PomasThynchon

Postby PomasThynchon » Tue Feb 01, 2011 9:43 pm

Gemini wrote:
PomasThynchon wrote:

It's a tough one, that's for sure. I like Boston a lot more, and I like the part of Boston BU is in (albeit not the law "tower of doom" so much), but I'm pretty interested in working in DC. It's a tough one, because I'm sure plenty of BU grads get DC jobs, given that the two are peer schools, but GW would be the logical choice.

Teoeo

Postby Teoeo » Tue Feb 01, 2011 10:11 pm

apple1234 wrote:Waitlisted last week. 3.8/166. :(

Send LOCI - I'm sure you'll be admitted.

Gemini

Postby Gemini » Tue Feb 01, 2011 10:13 pm

PomasThynchon wrote:
Gemini wrote:
PomasThynchon wrote:

It's a tough one, that's for sure. I like Boston a lot more, and I like the part of Boston BU is in (albeit not the law "tower of doom" so much), but I'm pretty interested in working in DC. It's a tough one, because I'm sure plenty of BU grads get DC jobs, given that the two are peer schools, but GW would be the logical choice.

If you want DC, hells yea, GW is the logical choice. :P

masterthearts

Postby masterthearts » Tue Feb 01, 2011 10:28 pm

[

I am a 164 so I know I'd get no scholly if accepted. As a matter of fact, I AM accepted to GW and have no scholly money. But GW does need-based grants and I don't think BU has that. Regardless, I would choose BU because I <3 BU and would love to work and live in Boston.[/quote]

I got a scholly to GW with a 162.

cowgirl_bebop

Postby cowgirl_bebop » Tue Feb 01, 2011 10:31 pm

masterthearts wrote:

Word, what was your GPA if you dont mind?
Last edited by cowgirl_bebop on Tue Feb 01, 2011 10:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Gemini

Postby Gemini » Tue Feb 01, 2011 10:32 pm

You're URM.

masterthearts

Postby masterthearts » Tue Feb 01, 2011 10:44 pm

cowgirl_bebop wrote:
masterthearts wrote:

Word, what was your GPA if you dont mind?

GPA is 3.9 (from an Ivy)
No, TLS says I am not URM and everyone goes by what TLS says

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”