GW 2011 Applicants

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
dcbound

Re: GW 2011 Applicants

Postby dcbound » Fri Jan 28, 2011 11:10 pm

pimpsdontcry wrote:
dcbound wrote:
fedexmalcom wrote:My opinion for others on waitinglist is that the list is too long. To me, a waiting now is the same as a rejection in July.[\quote]

I disagree with this. While the list will most likely be long, I feel that a lot of people will either withdraw, or not take any further action. If you put forth a tremendous amount of effort and seriously go all out, one can get themselves in off of it. I mean, realistically they will indeed make some offers of it. And as was discussed earlier, it's not ranked....

to be fair, no one should ever bank on a waitlist as a realistic option for acceptance, always the opposite. Getting an acceptance from a waitlist would be a nice surprise, but it is more often than not, unexpected.

Obviously have a back up, of course. No question about that. But people do get in off of them. And I imagine to a somewhat greater scale than a t14. Why can't one of those people be you? It can. You gotta try your hardest. "Balls to the wall" they say....

pimpsdontcry

Postby pimpsdontcry » Fri Jan 28, 2011 11:12 pm

dcbound wrote:Obviously have a back up, of course. No question about that. But people do get in off of them. And I imagine to a somewhat greater scale than a t14. Why can't one of those people be you? It can. You gotta try your hardest. "Balls to the wall" they say....

because none of us like the feeling of being a second choice or last resort hahaha

dcbound

Postby dcbound » Fri Jan 28, 2011 11:17 pm

pimpsdontcry wrote:
dcbound wrote:Obviously have a back up, of course. No question about that. But people do get in off of them. And I imagine to a somewhat greater scale than a t14. Why can't one of those people be you? It can. You gotta try your hardest. "Balls to the wall" they say....

because none of us like the feeling of being a second choice or last resort hahaha

Well sometimes if you want something bad enough, you've gotta swallow your pride. That's life. Life isn't fair. Never has been, and never will be. This entire process is a pretty good example of that.

But I can hear what you're saying....

PomasThynchon

Postby PomasThynchon » Sat Jan 29, 2011 1:28 am

pimpsdontcry wrote:

Lol true, but it's not like you have to write on your resume, for the rest of your career, "JD, Harvard University, accepted off of waitlist while sitting in orientation at Georgetown"

pimpsdontcry

Postby pimpsdontcry » Sat Jan 29, 2011 1:59 am

PomasThynchon wrote:
pimpsdontcry wrote:

Lol true, but it's not like you have to write on your resume, for the rest of your career, "JD, Harvard University, accepted off of waitlist while sitting in orientation at Georgetown"

but i'll know. i'll know :wink:

MochaLatte05

Postby MochaLatte05 » Sat Jan 29, 2011 2:25 am

I feel like I'm some kind of anolomy... URM, Graduated from Big Ten in 2005, with 3.1 (3.6 in major) and 154 LSAT . And I got on the Waitlist!

Maybe I'm smoking something crazy, but "go big or go home"! GW is my top choice, so if they're willing to consider me with that ugly LSAT score, it's my duty to work really hard to get off that waitlist.

Any school that is willing to waitlist you is willing to consider you... put in enough effort to let them know that you're amazing outside of those numbers, and it WILL pay off.

URMdan

Postby URMdan » Sat Jan 29, 2011 2:26 am

MochaLatte05 wrote:I feel like I'm some kind of anolomy... URM, Graduated from Big Ten in 2005, with 3.1 (3.6 in major) and 154 LSAT . And I got on the Waitlist!

Maybe I'm smoking something crazy, but "go big or go home"! GW is my top choice, so if they're willing to consider me with that ugly LSAT score, it's my duty to work really hard to get off that waitlist.

Any school that is willing to waitlist you is willing to consider you... put in enough effort to let them know that you're amazing outside of those numbers, and it WILL pay off.

Ugh, I'm trying to get in with worse numbers than those

MochaLatte05

Postby MochaLatte05 » Sat Jan 29, 2011 2:37 am

URMdan wrote:
MochaLatte05 wrote:I feel like I'm some kind of anolomy... URM, Graduated from Big Ten in 2005, with 3.1 (3.6 in major) and 154 LSAT . And I got on the Waitlist!

Well at least you know the waitlist isn't off the table for you...

URMdan

Postby URMdan » Sat Jan 29, 2011 3:10 am

MochaLatte05 wrote:
URMdan wrote:

Well at least you know the waitlist isn't off the table for you...

F the waitlist, unless an additional LOR from a GWU JD graduate who had me as a professor for 3 weeks, as well as an additional transcript increasing my GPA to a 2.99 can make a big difference.

pimpsdontcry

Postby pimpsdontcry » Sat Jan 29, 2011 3:12 am

it wont. :(

URMdan

Postby URMdan » Sat Jan 29, 2011 3:18 am

pimpsdontcry wrote:it wont. :(

FML.

I think I have a better chance at GULC PT ED than GWU FT RD. According to the admissions office, applying PT doesn't have more lenient admission standards which is why I didn't go that route with GWU. Actually I would probably go to AU FT (which I'm already accepted to) then GWU PT, so that doesn't really matter.

pimpsdontcry

Postby pimpsdontcry » Sat Jan 29, 2011 3:38 am

URMdan wrote:

FML.

I think I have a better chance at GULC PT ED than GWU FT RD. According to the admissions office, applying PT doesn't have more lenient admission standards which is why I didn't go that route with GWU. Actually I would probably go to AU FT (which I'm already accepted to) then GWU PT, so that doesn't really matter.

when ur dealing with the t20, requirements between PT and ED are minor

URMdan

Postby URMdan » Sat Jan 29, 2011 3:45 am

pimpsdontcry wrote:
URMdan wrote:

FML.

i dont get what you're saying

pimpsdontcry

Postby pimpsdontcry » Sat Jan 29, 2011 3:50 am

URMdan wrote:
pimpsdontcry wrote:
URMdan wrote:

FML.

like the median for FT is 167, and PT is like 166

URMdan

Postby URMdan » Sat Jan 29, 2011 4:01 am

pimpsdontcry wrote:
URMdan wrote:
pimpsdontcry wrote:
URMdan wrote:
FML.

GULC PT is easier to get in to. GWU PT supposedly isn't.

like the median for FT is 167, and PT is like 166

Yea that may be right for gwu, but not for gulc
Last edited by URMdan on Sat Jan 29, 2011 4:27 am, edited 1 time in total.

PuckCU06

Postby PuckCU06 » Sat Jan 29, 2011 4:06 am

To everyone on the WL, I hope this comes across the way it's meant... with empathy... I've been WL by nearly all my top choices and GW is the only one to accept me so far... here's hoping fate smiles on all of us... I get off my WLs, and free a spot for one of you at GW... a fine school, but too close to home.

dcbound

Postby dcbound » Sat Jan 29, 2011 4:11 am

PuckCU06 wrote:To everyone on the WL, I hope this comes across the way it's meant... with empathy... I've been WL by nearly all my top choices and GW is the only one to accept me so far... here's hoping fate smiles on all of us... I get off my WLs, and free a spot for one of you at GW... a fine school, but too close to home.

BU accepted you. I hear there are better looking people up there!!

minuit

Postby minuit » Sat Jan 29, 2011 12:39 pm

dcbound wrote:
PuckCU06 wrote:To everyone on the WL, I hope this comes across the way it's meant... with empathy... I've been WL by nearly all my top choices and GW is the only one to accept me so far... here's hoping fate smiles on all of us... I get off my WLs, and free a spot for one of you at GW... a fine school, but too close to home.

:lol:

JJDancer

Postby JJDancer » Sat Jan 29, 2011 5:07 pm

Got the package in the mail today. I know GW does need based aid too so do I need to do FAFSA etc before I hear about any scholly? Or can I still get something solely merit based in a separate mailing/does it mean I got no merit aid if it wasn't with the admissions packet?

Thanks!

bigjinjapan

Postby bigjinjapan » Sat Jan 29, 2011 7:56 pm

dcbound wrote:

clearly you've never been to Boston...

dcbound

Postby dcbound » Sat Jan 29, 2011 8:17 pm

bigjinjapan wrote:
dcbound wrote:

clearly you've never been to Boston...

Hush your mouth.......

Anyway Puck, Boston seems like the right move if all else fails.

IMO

masterthearts

Postby masterthearts » Sun Jan 30, 2011 9:38 am

Just got my package yesterday. (Acceptance came last week).
In with $30K/year scholly and free housing (15K value) for the first year.
Now I don't know if I should still go to gulc at sticker. Will job prospects be much better coming out of gulc? At this point, the possibility of a corporate job is my main concern.

queenlizzie13

Postby queenlizzie13 » Sun Jan 30, 2011 10:44 am

masterthearts wrote:Just got my package yesterday. (Acceptance came last week).
Now I don't know if I should still go to gulc at sticker. Will job prospects be much better coming out of gulc? At this point, the possibility of a corporate job is my main concern.

Are they 100k better? Probably not. You'd be turning down 105k...that is a significant amount of $$. It all depends whether you think GULC is worth however much more $ you'd be paying to attend the school versus GW.

And I don't think the difference in job prospects is worth going sticker at GULC versus taking the $ at GW.

JJDancer

Postby JJDancer » Sun Jan 30, 2011 1:17 pm

masterthearts wrote:Just got my package yesterday. (Acceptance came last week).

Use that to negotiate with GULC. The worse they can say is "no, you were lucky we accepted you at all." And then you can decide 105K at GW vs. sticker at GULC. But no harm in at least seeing if GULC gives you 45K or something!!

Good Luck.

PomasThynchon

Postby PomasThynchon » Sun Jan 30, 2011 5:26 pm

dcbound wrote:

Would you do GW over BU? I might be in the same boat decision wise.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”