GW 2011 Applicants

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
User avatar
androstan
Posts: 2708
Joined: Mon Jul 19, 2010 8:07 am

Re: GW 2011 Applicants

Postby androstan » Thu Jan 06, 2011 5:27 pm

It sounds a little like the splitters get GWU and the reverse splitters get BU/BC.

User avatar
Gemini
Posts: 1943
Joined: Thu Mar 11, 2010 9:23 pm

Re: GW 2011 Applicants

Postby Gemini » Thu Jan 06, 2011 5:28 pm

androstan wrote:It sounds a little like the splitters get GWU and the reverse splitters get BU/BC.


Well I THINK I'm a reverse splitter, but I truly hope this is the case. I got GWU but would much, MUCH prefer BC/BU.

User avatar
androstan
Posts: 2708
Joined: Mon Jul 19, 2010 8:07 am

Re: GW 2011 Applicants

Postby androstan » Thu Jan 06, 2011 5:36 pm

Gemini Hopeful wrote:
androstan wrote:It sounds a little like the splitters get GWU and the reverse splitters get BU/BC.


Well I THINK I'm a reverse splitter, but I truly hope this is the case. I got GWU but would much, MUCH prefer BC/BU.


I think you have a solid chance at BU. My chances are pretty dismal. BU doesn't like low GPAs.

User avatar
thelaststraw05
Posts: 1028
Joined: Fri Nov 05, 2010 7:47 am

Re: GW 2011 Applicants

Postby thelaststraw05 » Thu Jan 06, 2011 5:50 pm

androstan wrote:
stewie27 wrote:In via email today.
~3.6, 170, RD FT. Applied a little before Thanksgiving.
Wicked excited, GW is one of my top choices!
Anyone think there's a chance I might get some merit money?


Those are good #'s for GWU. Decent chance you'll get some.


They are being VERY tight with money right now for some reason.

Lowest GPA that has gotten anything (according to LSN) is a 3.6 (URM). The lowest non-URM who has gotten anything is a 3.8.

If you are a URM I think you have a chance of finding money in your acceptance pack, if you are not I think it is less then likely.

Edit: Sorry, to be clear. I think that you SHOULD receive aid. I was hoping for aid myself, but was disappointed. I just don't want you to get your hopes up and have them crushed later.

ran12
Posts: 1003
Joined: Sun Oct 31, 2010 4:28 pm

Re: GW 2011 Applicants

Postby ran12 » Thu Jan 06, 2011 6:07 pm

If they're being tight with aid it might be b/c GW is doing so much fundraising for the law school, science/engineering and general expansion which could effect the amount alums donate for scholarships.

User avatar
Gotti
Posts: 3436
Joined: Tue Nov 09, 2010 3:46 pm

Re: GW 2011 Applicants

Postby Gotti » Thu Jan 06, 2011 6:35 pm

androstan wrote:It sounds a little like the splitters get GWU and the reverse splitters get BU/BC.



really? it sounds like GW doesn't like lower GPAs to me. I'm opposite of Gemini....reverse splitter but I don't care as much about BU as I do about GW so I hope you're wrong haha

User avatar
goingeast
Posts: 73
Joined: Mon Oct 25, 2010 5:14 pm

Re: GW 2011 Applicants

Postby goingeast » Thu Jan 06, 2011 6:39 pm

Gotti wrote:really? it sounds like GW doesn't like lower GPAs to me. I'm opposite of Gemini....reverse splitter but I don't care as much about BU as I do about GW so I hope you're wrong haha


I seem to remember something like this as well. That's what I'm hoping anyway...I would love to go to GW.

User avatar
bk1
Posts: 18426
Joined: Sun Mar 14, 2010 7:06 pm

Re: GW 2011 Applicants

Postby bk1 » Thu Jan 06, 2011 6:42 pm

Gotti wrote:
androstan wrote:It sounds a little like the splitters get GWU and the reverse splitters get BU/BC.



really? it sounds like GW doesn't like lower GPAs to me. I'm opposite of Gemini....reverse splitter but I don't care as much about BU as I do about GW so I hope you're wrong haha


For supersplitters, LSN has about 50%wl/50%accept for 170+/3.0- with only a single reject.

bigwillie
Posts: 86
Joined: Mon Oct 11, 2010 3:48 pm

Re: GW 2011 Applicants

Postby bigwillie » Thu Jan 06, 2011 8:06 pm

Waitlisted today around 1:00pm. Numbers are 170/3.5X. Kind of a let down, but I'm not too disappointed because I got into GULC a few weeks ago, but I was still kind of surprised. Oh well, congrats to everyone who was accepted today, GW seems like a great school.

csoloski
Posts: 94
Joined: Sun Oct 03, 2010 8:54 am

Re: GW 2011 Applicants

Postby csoloski » Thu Jan 06, 2011 8:09 pm

Hey,
I submitted my application a month ago and I have not gotten any form of communication from the school. Anyone else in my shoes? Also, a tidbit of info my best friend goes here and said that the career office is very unhelpful for those wanting to work in LA.

User avatar
Gotti
Posts: 3436
Joined: Tue Nov 09, 2010 3:46 pm

Re: GW 2011 Applicants

Postby Gotti » Thu Jan 06, 2011 8:13 pm

bigwillie wrote:Waitlisted today around 1:00pm. Numbers are 170/3.5X. Kind of a let down, but I'm not too disappointed because I got into GULC a few weeks ago, but I was still kind of surprised. Oh well, congrats to everyone who was accepted today, GW seems like a great school.




sorry to hear =(


PS this is what makes me think that GW favors high GPAs....reverse splitters over regular splitters. I've seen quite a few of these and mid 160s/3.8+ get in. Small sample tho

User avatar
Gotti
Posts: 3436
Joined: Tue Nov 09, 2010 3:46 pm

Re: GW 2011 Applicants

Postby Gotti » Thu Jan 06, 2011 8:14 pm

csoloski wrote:Hey,
I submitted my application a month ago and I have not gotten any form of communication from the school. Anyone else in my shoes? Also, a tidbit of info my best friend goes here and said that the career office is very unhelpful for those wanting to work in LA.



Yeah i'm in your shoes....complete 12/1 and not a word from the school. And that sucks about LA because that's most likely where I'm going to want to be.

User avatar
androstan
Posts: 2708
Joined: Mon Jul 19, 2010 8:07 am

Re: GW 2011 Applicants

Postby androstan » Fri Jan 07, 2011 2:35 pm

Gotti wrote:
bigwillie wrote:Waitlisted today around 1:00pm. Numbers are 170/3.5X. Kind of a let down, but I'm not too disappointed because I got into GULC a few weeks ago, but I was still kind of surprised. Oh well, congrats to everyone who was accepted today, GW seems like a great school.




sorry to hear =(


PS this is what makes me think that GW favors high GPAs....reverse splitters over regular splitters. I've seen quite a few of these and mid 160s/3.8+ get in. Small sample tho


According to LSN for last year's cycle there were 27 non-URM splitters accepted (GPA<3.41) and 12 non-URM reverse splitters (LSAT<163) accepted.

It's interesting to note that only 1 URM splitter was accepted but 6 URM reverse splitters were accepted.

User avatar
Gemini
Posts: 1943
Joined: Thu Mar 11, 2010 9:23 pm

Re: GW 2011 Applicants

Postby Gemini » Fri Jan 07, 2011 2:38 pm

Gotti wrote:
csoloski wrote:Hey,
I submitted my application a month ago and I have not gotten any form of communication from the school. Anyone else in my shoes? Also, a tidbit of info my best friend goes here and said that the career office is very unhelpful for those wanting to work in LA.



Yeah i'm in your shoes....complete 12/1 and not a word from the school. And that sucks about LA because that's most likely where I'm going to want to be.


You should hear back soon enough. I went complete at GW around 11/19 or so.

throne1777
Posts: 11
Joined: Wed Nov 03, 2010 4:51 pm

Re: GW 2011 Applicants

Postby throne1777 » Fri Jan 07, 2011 3:16 pm

yea, i submitted 12/17 and haven't even gotten a confirmation that they received my application.

User avatar
LttleBlakDress
Posts: 224
Joined: Fri Jan 07, 2011 3:49 pm

Re: GW 2011 Applicants

Postby LttleBlakDress » Fri Jan 07, 2011 4:11 pm

I got in yesterday via email! Huge relief because it's the first law school I was serious about (didn't just apply because I got a fee waver/bribe) that I've heard from!

User avatar
kjadkins
Posts: 648
Joined: Wed Dec 01, 2010 6:49 pm

Re: GW 2011 Applicants

Postby kjadkins » Fri Jan 07, 2011 4:54 pm

throne1777 wrote:yea, i submitted 12/17 and haven't even gotten a confirmation that they received my application.


Same, I submitted 11/30. I'm thinking I should email them.

Edit: My bad, just found my "complete" email buried in my inbox. Complete 12/1. So I'm guessing that means a ding if I haven't heard yet. Esp being a splitter.
Last edited by kjadkins on Fri Jan 07, 2011 4:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
JennBNYC
Posts: 262
Joined: Mon Aug 17, 2009 2:50 pm

Re: GW 2011 Applicants

Postby JennBNYC » Fri Jan 07, 2011 4:57 pm

androstan wrote:It sounds a little like the splitters get GWU and the reverse splitters get BU/BC.


I'm DEFINITELY a reverse spliter and got GWU, but got rejected from BC. Still waiting to hear from BU....

JJDancer
Posts: 1564
Joined: Sun Jul 26, 2009 7:41 pm

Re: GW 2011 Applicants

Postby JJDancer » Fri Jan 07, 2011 4:58 pm

throne1777 wrote:yea, i submitted 12/17 and haven't even gotten a confirmation that they received my application.

+1 submitted 12/22.
I think I'll wait til Jan 13 (next Thursday) to email them if I don't get an "App received" email by then.

I'm a 167/168, 3.7x, GW UG - I was hoping for some $$ but according to LSN nothing for < 3.8 non URMs :|

User avatar
androstan
Posts: 2708
Joined: Mon Jul 19, 2010 8:07 am

Re: GW 2011 Applicants

Postby androstan » Fri Jan 07, 2011 5:18 pm

LttleBlakDress wrote:I got in yesterday via email! Huge relief because it's the first law school I was serious about (didn't just apply because I got a fee waver/bribe) that I've heard from!


Many congratz to you! I got in also and I'm stoked about it. We're numbers twins, pretty different softs though.

Good luck! PM me if you wanna compare notes or anything.

User avatar
androstan
Posts: 2708
Joined: Mon Jul 19, 2010 8:07 am

Re: GW 2011 Applicants

Postby androstan » Fri Jan 07, 2011 5:22 pm

JennBNYC wrote:
androstan wrote:It sounds a little like the splitters get GWU and the reverse splitters get BU/BC.


I'm DEFINITELY a reverse spliter and got GWU, but got rejected from BC. Still waiting to hear from BU....


I'm just going by LSN. It's possible the sample isn't representative of the population as a whole.

However, according to lawschoolpredictor BU has LSAT75=167 and GPA75=3.83. GWU has LSAT75=168 and GPA75=3.79. Those numbers, combined with the LSN results, lead me to believe that GWU favors splitters more than BU and BU favors reverse splitters more than GWU.

But of course some reverse splitters get GWU.

minuit
Posts: 611
Joined: Thu Jan 07, 2010 1:39 pm

Re: GW 2011 Applicants

Postby minuit » Sat Jan 08, 2011 11:24 am

according to GW's website, right around 50% of applicants with >3.75 GPA/160-164 LSAT get accepted.

granted, most of these could be 163-164, but yeah.

User avatar
akili
Posts: 1950
Joined: Thu Jul 09, 2009 9:21 pm

Re: GW 2011 Applicants

Postby akili » Sat Jan 08, 2011 11:51 am

I just applied a couple weeks ago. Excited to join the party! (this is really just me tagging this post)

Congrats to those who recently got in, by the way!

Jen Loblaw
Posts: 83
Joined: Wed Oct 13, 2010 10:45 pm

Re: GW 2011 Applicants

Postby Jen Loblaw » Sat Jan 08, 2011 12:11 pm

I got a little handwritten note saying I was a strong applicant and that I should attend with my acceptance packet. Did other people get something like this?

User avatar
JennBNYC
Posts: 262
Joined: Mon Aug 17, 2009 2:50 pm

Re: GW 2011 Applicants

Postby JennBNYC » Sat Jan 08, 2011 12:17 pm

Jen Loblaw wrote:I got a little handwritten note saying I was a strong applicant and that I should attend with my acceptance packet. Did other people get something like this?


Yup




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: ChodeAnalBead, mike90018, Nickel94 and 7 guests