GW 2011 Applicants

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
JTMan

Bronze
Posts: 164
Joined: Mon Dec 13, 2010 1:58 am

Re: GW 2011 Applicants

Postby JTMan » Wed Jan 05, 2011 3:11 pm

saito816 wrote:
bk1 wrote:Regular decision admit. Merit info in envelope with acceptance packet. Stats:

URM Super Splitter (sub 3, 170+, hispanic URM)
Merit Scholarship (30k/year) + Aston (15k) - 105k total


This is what I received as well, stats are in profile.



That's what I got too......167/3.88/Non-URM/WE

bk1

Diamond
Posts: 20072
Joined: Sun Mar 14, 2010 7:06 pm

Re: GW 2011 Applicants

Postby bk1 » Wed Jan 05, 2011 3:17 pm

JTMan wrote:
saito816 wrote:
bk1 wrote:Regular decision admit. Merit info in envelope with acceptance packet. Stats:

URM Super Splitter (sub 3, 170+, hispanic URM)
Merit Scholarship (30k/year) + Aston (15k) - 105k total


This is what I received as well, stats are in profile.



That's what I got too......167/3.88/Non-URM/WE


Feels kind of piddly in comparison to their $210k total CoA.

JTMan

Bronze
Posts: 164
Joined: Mon Dec 13, 2010 1:58 am

Re: GW 2011 Applicants

Postby JTMan » Wed Jan 05, 2011 3:24 pm

Well remember their max scholarship is full TUITION right? $43,000*3 = $129,000 so personally I am actually quite happy for us.

bk1

Diamond
Posts: 20072
Joined: Sun Mar 14, 2010 7:06 pm

Re: GW 2011 Applicants

Postby bk1 » Wed Jan 05, 2011 3:26 pm

JTMan wrote:Well remember their max scholarship is full TUITION right? $43,000*3 = $129,000 so personally I am actually quite happy for us.


I mean, it's nice, but I meant that I don't think even $100k is enough to sway someone from a low T14 to go to GW.

User avatar
thelaststraw05

Silver
Posts: 1028
Joined: Fri Nov 05, 2010 7:47 am

Re: GW 2011 Applicants

Postby thelaststraw05 » Wed Jan 05, 2011 3:31 pm

bk1 wrote:
JTMan wrote:Well remember their max scholarship is full TUITION right? $43,000*3 = $129,000 so personally I am actually quite happy for us.


I mean, it's nice, but I meant that I don't think even $100k is enough to sway someone from a low T14 to go to GW.


You may think that. Others may not. I'm personally not planning on going into Biglaw. I would DEFINITELY go to GW with $100k scholarship over GULC at sticker.

We can each have our opinions, that doesn't mean yours is DEFINITELY right.

bk1

Diamond
Posts: 20072
Joined: Sun Mar 14, 2010 7:06 pm

Re: GW 2011 Applicants

Postby bk1 » Wed Jan 05, 2011 3:32 pm

thelaststraw05 wrote:You may think that. Others may not. I'm personally not planning on going into Biglaw. I would DEFINITELY go to GW with $100k scholarship over GULC at sticker.

We can each have our opinions, that doesn't mean yours is DEFINITELY right.


How did you get that out of my post?

JakeL

Bronze
Posts: 453
Joined: Sat Jun 26, 2010 10:30 pm

Re: GW 2011 Applicants

Postby JakeL » Wed Jan 05, 2011 3:43 pm

bk1 wrote:
JTMan wrote:Well remember their max scholarship is full TUITION right? $43,000*3 = $129,000 so personally I am actually quite happy for us.


I mean, it's nice, but I meant that I don't think even $100k is enough to sway someone from a low T14 to go to GW.


Anyone who applied ED and got accepted pretty much defies this logic.

TheOcho

Bronze
Posts: 394
Joined: Wed Jun 09, 2010 9:46 pm

Re: GW 2011 Applicants

Postby TheOcho » Wed Jan 05, 2011 3:47 pm

Did anyone receive $$ info after receiving the admit package? Within my package they noted that $$ info can come anytime after acceptance, so I'd be interested to hear if this has happened yet.

User avatar
smartblonde87

Bronze
Posts: 359
Joined: Mon Feb 01, 2010 3:15 pm

Re: GW 2011 Applicants

Postby smartblonde87 » Wed Jan 05, 2011 4:07 pm

tag :)

bk1

Diamond
Posts: 20072
Joined: Sun Mar 14, 2010 7:06 pm

Re: GW 2011 Applicants

Postby bk1 » Wed Jan 05, 2011 4:43 pm

JakeL wrote:Anyone who applied ED and got accepted pretty much defies this logic.


ED get almost 15k/year more than what I got. They end up with $70k worth of debt, I would end up in $105k worth of debt. $105k isn't a small enough, I think, to justify attending a lower ranked school.

User avatar
magicman554

Bronze
Posts: 201
Joined: Sat Oct 30, 2010 2:02 am

Re: GW 2011 Applicants

Postby magicman554 » Wed Jan 05, 2011 6:34 pm

bk1 wrote:
JakeL wrote:Anyone who applied ED and got accepted pretty much defies this logic.


ED get almost 15k/year more than what I got. They end up with $70k worth of debt, I would end up in $105k worth of debt. $105k isn't a small enough, I think, to justify attending a lower ranked school.




FACEPALM

User avatar
Arbiter213

Gold
Posts: 2248
Joined: Mon Oct 11, 2010 10:16 pm

Re: GW 2011 Applicants

Postby Arbiter213 » Wed Jan 05, 2011 6:37 pm

magicman554 wrote:
bk1 wrote:
JakeL wrote:Anyone who applied ED and got accepted pretty much defies this logic.


ED get almost 15k/year more than what I got. They end up with $70k worth of debt, I would end up in $105k worth of debt. $105k isn't a small enough, I think, to justify attending a lower ranked school.




FACEPALM


105k with no employment prospects is a lot more than 210k with a chance at high paying prospects. But that's still definitely a bit simplified. I'd definitely go to, say, NYU sticker over GW with that scholarship. On the other hand with GULC sticker its a tossup.

User avatar
magicman554

Bronze
Posts: 201
Joined: Sat Oct 30, 2010 2:02 am

Re: GW 2011 Applicants

Postby magicman554 » Wed Jan 05, 2011 7:04 pm

Arbiter213 wrote:
magicman554 wrote:
bk1 wrote:
JakeL wrote:Anyone who applied ED and got accepted pretty much defies this logic.


ED get almost 15k/year more than what I got. They end up with $70k worth of debt, I would end up in $105k worth of debt. $105k isn't a small enough, I think, to justify attending a lower ranked school.




FACEPALM


105k with no employment prospects is a lot more than 210k with a chance at high paying prospects. But that's still definitely a bit simplified. I'd definitely go to, say, NYU sticker over GW with that scholarship. On the other hand with GULC sticker its a tossup.


I initially facepalmed you for your assertion that an ED to GWU would end up with $70k worth of debt (which is ludicrous unless they have a drug addiction, or a gambling problem, or something). But now you get facepalmed for your exaggerated claim that GWU grads will have "105k with no employment prospects." What this has to do with EDs at GWU I can't tell, but your "no employment prospects" bull is totally mistaken. May not be as great as NYU, but you're exaggerating.

JTMan

Bronze
Posts: 164
Joined: Mon Dec 13, 2010 1:58 am

Re: GW 2011 Applicants

Postby JTMan » Wed Jan 05, 2011 7:26 pm

quote="Arbiter213"]
magicman554 wrote:
bk1 wrote:
JakeL wrote:Anyone who applied ED and got accepted pretty much defies this logic.


ED get almost 15k/year more than what I got. They end up with $70k worth of debt, I would end up in $105k worth of debt. $105k isn't a small enough, I think, to justify attending a lower ranked school.


105k with no employment prospects is a lot more than 210k with a chance at high paying prospects. But that's still definitely a bit simplified. I'd definitely go to, say, NYU sticker over GW with that scholarship. On the other hand with GULC sticker its a tossup.
[/quote]

Just curious if any of you are out of school/currently in the job market.

bk1

Diamond
Posts: 20072
Joined: Sun Mar 14, 2010 7:06 pm

Re: GW 2011 Applicants

Postby bk1 » Wed Jan 05, 2011 7:34 pm

magicman554 wrote:I initially facepalmed you for your assertion that an ED to GWU would end up with $70k worth of debt (which is ludicrous unless they have a drug addiction, or a gambling problem, or something). But now you get facepalmed for your exaggerated claim that GWU grads will have "105k with no employment prospects." What this has to do with EDs at GWU I can't tell, but your "no employment prospects" bull is totally mistaken. May not be as great as NYU, but you're exaggerating.


Firstly, that's not me. He already admitted to exaggerating... how dense are you? As for me, 105k with little chance at something other than a 60k salary seems meh.

And secondly, I'm just taking GW's own estimates (--LinkRemoved--). I actually shaved a bit down but they do estimate non-tuition costs at 26.5k/year. Could probably live even cheaper but I'd imagine it would be tough to get under 20k/year.

User avatar
deja

Bronze
Posts: 171
Joined: Thu Sep 16, 2010 5:51 pm

Re: GW 2011 Applicants

Postby deja » Wed Jan 05, 2011 7:39 pm

JTMan wrote:quote="Arbiter213"]
magicman554 wrote:
bk1 wrote:
JakeL wrote:Anyone who applied ED and got accepted pretty much defies this logic.


ED get almost 15k/year more than what I got. They end up with $70k worth of debt, I would end up in $105k worth of debt. $105k isn't a small enough, I think, to justify attending a lower ranked school.


105k with no employment prospects is a lot more than 210k with a chance at high paying prospects. But that's still definitely a bit simplified. I'd definitely go to, say, NYU sticker over GW with that scholarship. On the other hand with GULC sticker its a tossup.


Just curious if any of you are out of school/currently in the job market.[/quote]

Your reason is not welcome here in the land of speculation! :mrgreen:

bk1

Diamond
Posts: 20072
Joined: Sun Mar 14, 2010 7:06 pm

Re: GW 2011 Applicants

Postby bk1 » Wed Jan 05, 2011 7:40 pm

deja wrote:
JTMan wrote:Just curious if any of you are out of school/currently in the job market.


Your reason is not welcome here in the land of speculation! :mrgreen:


If we were in the job market, we'd probably be saying don't go.

JTMan

Bronze
Posts: 164
Joined: Mon Dec 13, 2010 1:58 am

Re: GW 2011 Applicants

Postby JTMan » Wed Jan 05, 2011 7:46 pm

bk1 wrote:
deja wrote:
JTMan wrote:Just curious if any of you are out of school/currently in the job market.


Your reason is not welcome here in the land of speculation! :mrgreen:


If we were in the job market, we'd probably be saying don't go.



Haha, just saying....you may want to be actively engaged in the market before you start making sweeping statements about the market.

bk1

Diamond
Posts: 20072
Joined: Sun Mar 14, 2010 7:06 pm

Re: GW 2011 Applicants

Postby bk1 » Wed Jan 05, 2011 7:51 pm

JTMan wrote:Haha, just saying....you may want to be actively engaged in the market before you start making sweeping statements about the market.


Is talking to current students and lawyers, both on TLS and in real life, not count as being engaged?

You can learn about something without actually doing it. If I didn't have the knowledge to at least be making generalizations then I wouldn't be making a very informed decision.

ksimon2007

Silver
Posts: 532
Joined: Sun Oct 21, 2007 9:23 pm

Re: GW 2011 Applicants

Postby ksimon2007 » Thu Jan 06, 2011 2:24 pm

Got the waitlist e-mail not long ago. Disappointing, but understandable. Will likely remove myself altogether.

User avatar
gov

Bronze
Posts: 301
Joined: Mon Mar 29, 2010 3:27 pm

Re: GW 2011 Applicants

Postby gov » Thu Jan 06, 2011 2:34 pm

Waitlist email as well

User avatar
Gotti

Gold
Posts: 3436
Joined: Tue Nov 09, 2010 3:46 pm

Re: GW 2011 Applicants

Postby Gotti » Thu Jan 06, 2011 2:36 pm

when did you guys get the email?

User avatar
gov

Bronze
Posts: 301
Joined: Mon Mar 29, 2010 3:27 pm

Re: GW 2011 Applicants

Postby gov » Thu Jan 06, 2011 2:37 pm

Gotti wrote:when did you guys get the email?

1:09 est

mybrain

New
Posts: 65
Joined: Sat Nov 06, 2010 11:57 pm

Re: GW 2011 Applicants

Postby mybrain » Thu Jan 06, 2011 2:37 pm

waitlisted....got e-mail today...ahhhh!!!!

User avatar
Gotti

Gold
Posts: 3436
Joined: Tue Nov 09, 2010 3:46 pm

Re: GW 2011 Applicants

Postby Gotti » Thu Jan 06, 2011 2:44 pm

mybrain wrote:waitlisted....got e-mail today...ahhhh!!!!


:shock: *crosses fingers for no GW email today*

sorry :(



Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists?

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: QUIZ and 8 guests