GW 2011 Applicants

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
User avatar
Deuce
Posts: 1048
Joined: Fri Jun 25, 2010 11:12 am

Re: GW 2011 Applicants

Postby Deuce » Wed Apr 20, 2011 6:22 pm

Always Credited wrote:
msridiculous447 wrote:Cool, thanks. :D

I was actually wondering how schedule selection worked. I know you're basically given a pre-fab schedule of classes based on what section you're in, but I wasn't really sure how much choice you had in picking a section?


I should clarify a little bit...there's only one choice of section - Section 15, or NOT section 15. You only get to opt-in to 15, and everyone else is distributed randomly from sections 11-14 with random schedules that they cannot see in advance.


So... is there any downside at all to section 15?

User avatar
Always Credited
Posts: 2509
Joined: Wed Jun 24, 2009 1:31 pm

Re: GW 2011 Applicants

Postby Always Credited » Wed Apr 20, 2011 7:15 pm

Deuce wrote:
Always Credited wrote:
msridiculous447 wrote:Cool, thanks. :D

I was actually wondering how schedule selection worked. I know you're basically given a pre-fab schedule of classes based on what section you're in, but I wasn't really sure how much choice you had in picking a section?


I should clarify a little bit...there's only one choice of section - Section 15, or NOT section 15. You only get to opt-in to 15, and everyone else is distributed randomly from sections 11-14 with random schedules that they cannot see in advance.


So... is there any downside at all to section 15?


You have 3 classes per week that run from 6pm-8pm (mixed in with the PT crew), so some people think that sucks...but the upside to that is your the only 1L section at the school to have NO CLASS on Friday, and you're guaranteed to never have any classes start before noon.

User avatar
SilverE2
Posts: 931
Joined: Wed Aug 20, 2008 10:04 pm

Re: GW 2011 Applicants

Postby SilverE2 » Thu Apr 21, 2011 7:32 am

Always Credited wrote:
Deuce wrote:
Always Credited wrote:
msridiculous447 wrote:Cool, thanks. :D

I was actually wondering how schedule selection worked. I know you're basically given a pre-fab schedule of classes based on what section you're in, but I wasn't really sure how much choice you had in picking a section?


I should clarify a little bit...there's only one choice of section - Section 15, or NOT section 15. You only get to opt-in to 15, and everyone else is distributed randomly from sections 11-14 with random schedules that they cannot see in advance.


So... is there any downside at all to section 15?


You have 3 classes per week that run from 6pm-8pm (mixed in with the PT crew), so some people think that sucks...but the upside to that is your the only 1L section at the school to have NO CLASS on Friday, and you're guaranteed to never have any classes start before noon.


Yeah I'm considering it because no class on Friday would be fucking sweet...but the 6-8 PM thing would suck I think. It's probably easy to get in the groove (of wake up early - go to class - study) when you have only morning classes. Does anyone know how early classes at GW begin?

ofthehouse
Posts: 27
Joined: Wed Mar 16, 2011 12:59 pm

Re: GW 2011 Applicants

Postby ofthehouse » Thu Apr 21, 2011 9:59 am

good luck today everyone! hopefully they'll be sending out acceptance letters today *Crossing my fingers*

User avatar
aaaaaah
Posts: 301
Joined: Wed Jan 26, 2011 3:20 pm

Re: GW 2011 Applicants

Postby aaaaaah » Thu Apr 21, 2011 3:06 pm

I didn't deposit at GW and just got an email saying that I should contact them by Monday @ 5 if I want to attend or they may offer my seat to a waitlisted candidate. I don't know if every school sends these out, but maybe that means there will be some waitlist movement?

User avatar
Flips88
Posts: 13634
Joined: Sun Oct 10, 2010 7:42 pm

Re: GW 2011 Applicants

Postby Flips88 » Thu Apr 21, 2011 3:12 pm

aaaaaah wrote:I didn't deposit at GW and just got an email saying that I should contact them by Monday @ 5 if I want to attend or they may offer my seat to a waitlisted candidate. I don't know if every school sends these out, but maybe that means there will be some waitlist movement?

+1

I withdrew so hope someone here gets my seat.

Skyhook
Posts: 322
Joined: Wed Jul 21, 2010 11:30 am

Re: GW 2011 Applicants

Postby Skyhook » Thu Apr 21, 2011 3:17 pm

Flips88 wrote:
aaaaaah wrote:I didn't deposit at GW and just got an email saying that I should contact them by Monday @ 5 if I want to attend or they may offer my seat to a waitlisted candidate. I don't know if every school sends these out, but maybe that means there will be some waitlist movement?

+1

I withdrew so hope someone here gets my seat.


Indeed, I got the same email, yet I withdrew a week ago! Someone should have already been offered my seat by now...

omgitsjo
Posts: 7
Joined: Wed Mar 31, 2010 3:17 pm

Re: GW 2011 Applicants

Postby omgitsjo » Thu Apr 21, 2011 8:51 pm

Hey everyone!

I'm on the WL and I hope I get one of those spots that you guys gave up! I'm hoping that my gov't job decides to give us a half day tomorrow so I can go visit the campus :)

User avatar
ktg808
Posts: 292
Joined: Thu Feb 03, 2011 10:07 pm

Re: GW 2011 Applicants

Postby ktg808 » Thu Apr 21, 2011 10:08 pm

Skyhook wrote:
Flips88 wrote:
aaaaaah wrote:I didn't deposit at GW and just got an email saying that I should contact them by Monday @ 5 if I want to attend or they may offer my seat to a waitlisted candidate. I don't know if every school sends these out, but maybe that means there will be some waitlist movement?

+1

I withdrew so hope someone here gets my seat.


Indeed, I got the same email, yet I withdrew a week ago! Someone should have already been offered my seat by now...


+1 I withdrew like a month ago. And I still received emails about student preview days. And then I got today's email.

User avatar
ach24
Posts: 207
Joined: Sun Jun 20, 2010 1:24 pm

Re: GW 2011 Applicants

Postby ach24 » Mon Apr 25, 2011 8:08 am

.
Last edited by ach24 on Fri Jul 31, 2015 10:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

dudders
Posts: 468
Joined: Sat Mar 13, 2010 4:56 pm

Re: GW 2011 Applicants

Postby dudders » Mon Apr 25, 2011 8:35 am

SilverE2 wrote:Yeah I'm considering it because no class on Friday would be fucking sweet...but the 6-8 PM thing would suck I think. It's probably easy to get in the groove (of wake up early - go to class - study) when you have only morning classes. Does anyone know how early classes at GW begin?


The earliest 1L classes are at 8:50 but they're pretty rare - 9:55 is more common. LRW theoretically can start earlier (mine was at 8:30 a.m.).

Always Credited wrote:In June/July you'll have the option to opt-in to Section 15 just by emailing the dean. Its the afternoon class section, and is generally the most laid back, least annoying, and most fun section. Plus you get to take crim law with Kerr, who is an absolute baller.


The baller part is true, but he's teaching Section 13 in the fall. 15's got Cottroll for crim.

FAR262
Posts: 74
Joined: Wed Oct 13, 2010 1:00 am

Re: GW 2011 Applicants

Postby FAR262 » Mon Apr 25, 2011 10:04 am

ktg808 wrote:
Skyhook wrote:
Flips88 wrote:
aaaaaah wrote:I didn't deposit at GW and just got an email saying that I should contact them by Monday @ 5 if I want to attend or they may offer my seat to a waitlisted candidate. I don't know if every school sends these out, but maybe that means there will be some waitlist movement?

+1

I withdrew so hope someone here gets my seat.


Indeed, I got the same email, yet I withdrew a week ago! Someone should have already been offered my seat by now...


+1 I withdrew like a month ago. And I still received emails about student preview days. And then I got today's email.


+2, I hope my seat goes to a worthy candidate

ofthehouse
Posts: 27
Joined: Wed Mar 16, 2011 12:59 pm

Re: GW 2011 Applicants

Postby ofthehouse » Mon Apr 25, 2011 12:27 pm

Is anyone else still waiting for a decision?

dcbound
Posts: 62
Joined: Wed Jan 05, 2011 2:36 pm

Re: GW 2011 Applicants

Postby dcbound » Mon Apr 25, 2011 3:37 pm

ofthehouse wrote:Is anyone else still waiting for a decision?


If you haven't received a regular decision by now, you might want to contact them.

Dais1003
Posts: 12
Joined: Mon Mar 28, 2011 7:44 pm

Re: GW 2011 Applicants

Postby Dais1003 » Mon Apr 25, 2011 5:13 pm

dcbound wrote:
ofthehouse wrote:Is anyone else still waiting for a decision?


If you haven't received a regular decision by now, you might want to contact them.


I also am waiting for a regular decision, although I applied late (3/17). I called early last week and asked when to expect a decision - even mentioned the fast approaching deposit deadlines for other schools I've been admitted to - still said it could be another 2 to 3 weeks before we hear anything

User avatar
philswfc2008
Posts: 102
Joined: Tue Jan 11, 2011 4:26 pm

Re: GW 2011 Applicants

Postby philswfc2008 » Wed Apr 27, 2011 2:16 pm

In off the waitlist via email this afternoon! I am shocked, but thrilled! 3.33/167, non-URM. Wow! This is where I'll be going!!!

columbia86
Posts: 181
Joined: Tue Jan 04, 2011 11:59 am

Re: GW 2011 Applicants

Postby columbia86 » Wed Apr 27, 2011 2:26 pm

philswfc2008 wrote:In off the waitlist via email this afternoon! I am shocked, but thrilled! 3.33/167, non-URM. Wow! This is where I'll be going!!!


Congrats!

User avatar
philswfc2008
Posts: 102
Joined: Tue Jan 11, 2011 4:26 pm

Re: GW 2011 Applicants

Postby philswfc2008 » Wed Apr 27, 2011 2:29 pm

columbia86 wrote:
philswfc2008 wrote:In off the waitlist via email this afternoon! I am shocked, but thrilled! 3.33/167, non-URM. Wow! This is where I'll be going!!!


Congrats!


Thanks, I appreciate it!

User avatar
zreinhar
Posts: 308
Joined: Wed May 27, 2009 12:15 pm

Re: GW 2011 Applicants

Postby zreinhar » Wed Apr 27, 2011 2:41 pm

Also in off the WL, 3.65/167 into the PT program. Was planning on GMU, so I'm really excited about the jump up to GWU!

minuit
Posts: 611
Joined: Thu Jan 07, 2010 1:39 pm

Re: GW 2011 Applicants

Postby minuit » Wed Apr 27, 2011 3:25 pm

zreinhar wrote:Also in off the WL, 3.65/167 into the PT program. Was planning on GMU, so I'm really excited about the jump up to GWU!


Congrats!! I was rooting for you to get in!

User avatar
philswfc2008
Posts: 102
Joined: Tue Jan 11, 2011 4:26 pm

Re: GW 2011 Applicants

Postby philswfc2008 » Wed Apr 27, 2011 4:05 pm

zreinhar wrote:Also in off the WL, 3.65/167 into the PT program. Was planning on GMU, so I'm really excited about the jump up to GWU!


Congrats as well!

User avatar
ktg808
Posts: 292
Joined: Thu Feb 03, 2011 10:07 pm

Re: GW 2011 Applicants

Postby ktg808 » Wed Apr 27, 2011 4:05 pm

Congrats to the recent admits!

User avatar
zreinhar
Posts: 308
Joined: Wed May 27, 2009 12:15 pm

Re: GW 2011 Applicants

Postby zreinhar » Wed Apr 27, 2011 5:33 pm

minuit wrote:
zreinhar wrote:Also in off the WL, 3.65/167 into the PT program. Was planning on GMU, so I'm really excited about the jump up to GWU!


Congrats!! I was rooting for you to get in!



Thanks Minuit! Your support is appreciated. I did basically everything I could to get in, so its nice it worked out. Ive been to campus quite a few times (moreso than GULC) and I think even if I were to get into GULC I would choose GW for IP reputation and the IP employers coming to OCI. (though thats far down the line, and I already have a job)

Congrats to the other WL--> IN!

hurldes
Posts: 138
Joined: Wed Dec 01, 2010 3:32 pm

Re: GW 2011 Applicants

Postby hurldes » Wed Apr 27, 2011 5:59 pm

Also in off the waitlist! I was shocked... 167/3.06 caucasian male... I'm so happy.

LS-boundNYC
Posts: 227
Joined: Sun Sep 05, 2010 1:58 pm

Re: GW 2011 Applicants

Postby LS-boundNYC » Wed Apr 27, 2011 6:01 pm

Has it been all 167s who got in? :?




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”