GW 2011 Applicants

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
maglialoro

Re: GW 2011 Applicants

Postby maglialoro » Tue Feb 22, 2011 3:09 pm

-
Last edited by maglialoro on Tue Mar 22, 2011 12:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

rman1201

Postby rman1201 » Tue Feb 22, 2011 3:12 pm

maglialoro wrote:
rman1201 wrote:
maglialoro wrote:
rman1201 wrote:WL today, 3.5/167
Expected since I couldn't have displayed less interest- applied late and didn't write the optional essay.

why bother applying?

Figured I should throw in at least one DC school just in case, plus possible leverage for the peer school I want.

Those sound like logical reasons, i just dont understand why one wouldnt put the effort into the app. If your not accepted then it is no help to you whatsoever

I would have applied earlier if I had the money, and I was just exhausted essay-wise. I'm thinking of writing them a nice LOCI and Why GW essay, but I'm not sure if it's worth it at this point.

minuit

Postby minuit » Tue Feb 22, 2011 3:14 pm

philswfc2008 wrote:I'm starting to dig into the archives and looking at previous admission cycles, and it appears that GW seems to wait-list a lot of people. I have yet be able to tell how many people they seem to let off their wait-list annually, whether it is a decent amount, or just a trickle

IIRC, last year Dean Richard sent periodic emails to the waitlist people updating them on the process... mentioning there would be no waitlist offers one week, or 20ish the next week, etc. I don't believe tons of people are taken off of it, though.

dcbound

Postby dcbound » Tue Feb 22, 2011 3:18 pm

minuit wrote:
philswfc2008 wrote:I'm starting to dig into the archives and looking at previous admission cycles, and it appears that GW seems to wait-list a lot of people. I have yet be able to tell how many people they seem to let off their wait-list annually, whether it is a decent amount, or just a trickle

IIRC, last year Dean Richard sent periodic emails to the waitlist people updating them on the process... mentioning there would be no waitlist offers one week, or 20ish the next week, etc. I don't believe tons of people are taken off of it, though.

I'd go so far as to say that there probably aren't "tons" of people taken off any waitlist. I'd guesstimate anywhere from 10-15 % of the entire list are made offers...

philswfc2008

Postby philswfc2008 » Tue Feb 22, 2011 3:22 pm

Now....while this is my first wait-list (I've been accepted a few places), I think it is very possible, if not very likely, that I am waitlisted from a few other places I am awaiting to hear from (BU, BC, W&M). What is the standard procedure for if you are waitlisted from multiple schools? Can I submit LOCI and stay on waitlists to multiple schools (to enhance my odds of getting into one of those higher-ranked schools), or am I supposed to just pick one of those to try to fight my way off of? I am not sure how this works exactly. I do know that if I am accepted into only one of BU/BC/W&M/GW off waitlist, then that's where I will in all liklihood attend, but I am wondering what I will do should I get waitlisted from more than just GW

rman1201

Postby rman1201 » Tue Feb 22, 2011 3:25 pm

philswfc2008 wrote:Now....while this is my first wait-list (I've been accepted a few places), I think it is very possible, if not very likely, that I am waitlisted from a few other places I am awaiting to hear from (BU, BC, W&M). What is the standard procedure for if you are waitlisted from multiple schools? Can I submit LOCI and stay on waitlists to multiple schools (to enhance my odds of getting into one of those higher-ranked schools), or am I supposed to just pick one of those to try to fight my way off of? I am not sure how this works exactly. I do know that if I am accepted into only one of BU/BC/W&M/GW off waitlist, then that's where I will in all liklihood attend, but I am wondering what I will do should I get waitlisted from more than just GW

You can stay on as many Waitlists as you want, in most cases even if you've deposited somewhere else (as long as the school you submit your deposit with doesn't explicitly state you must withdraw all other apps)

maglialoro

Postby maglialoro » Tue Feb 22, 2011 3:27 pm

-

columbia86

Postby columbia86 » Tue Feb 22, 2011 3:28 pm

maglialoro wrote:
philswfc2008 wrote:Now....while this is my first wait-list (I've been accepted a few places), I think it is very possible, if not very likely, that I am waitlisted from a few other places I am awaiting to hear from (BU, BC, W&M). What is the standard procedure for if you are waitlisted from multiple schools? Can I submit LOCI and stay on waitlists to multiple schools (to enhance my odds of getting into one of those higher-ranked schools), or am I supposed to just pick one of those to try to fight my way off of? I am not sure how this works exactly. I do know that if I am accepted into only one of BU/BC/W&M/GW off waitlist, then that's where I will in all liklihood attend, but I am wondering what I will do should I get waitlisted from more than just GW

you can stay on as many waitlisted as you like for as long as they will let you. However, if you are including an "intent to attend" statement in your LOCI, I wouldnt suggest NOT to do it to more than one school.

Why?

Gotti

Postby Gotti » Tue Feb 22, 2011 3:32 pm

columbia86 wrote:
maglialoro wrote:

you can stay on as many waitlisted as you like for as long as they will let you. However, if you are including an "intent to attend" statement in your LOCI, I wouldnt suggest NOT to do it to more than one school.

Why?

bad taste

columbia86

Postby columbia86 » Tue Feb 22, 2011 3:34 pm

Gotti wrote:
columbia86 wrote:
maglialoro wrote:

Why?

bad taste

Lool. Apart from bad taste, what are the ramifications, if any?

philswfc2008

Postby philswfc2008 » Tue Feb 22, 2011 3:35 pm

maglialoro wrote: you can stay on as many waitlisted as you like for as long as they will let you. However, if you are including an "intent to attend" statement in your LOCI, I wouldnt suggest NOT to do it to more than one school.

That seems to make sense. It's one thing to say that you have continued interest in the school. However, that's different from saying "I will definitely attend if admitted from the WL", and then potentially not go.

Also, when exactly should I write a LOCI? Right away? I probably will end up writing one (and definitely will if I am waitlisted/rejected from my other top choices), but I'm almost inclined to wait to hear back from BU/BC/W&M and see if I get an acceptance from one of those school first before deciding to write a GW LOCI....if I do that though, do I run the risk of sending the wrong (uninterested) signal by not submitting a LOCI within the next week or so?

rman1201

Postby rman1201 » Tue Feb 22, 2011 3:37 pm

columbia86 wrote:

Deans do talk, so you risk developing a bad rep and not being admitted.

columbia86

Postby columbia86 » Tue Feb 22, 2011 3:41 pm

rman1201 wrote:
columbia86 wrote:

Deans do talk, so you risk developing a bad rep and not being admitted.

I missed the intent to admit in the original post, but I disagree that a person should limit themselves to one LOCI. The schools are playing the field and an astute applicant should do the same.

maglialoro

Postby maglialoro » Tue Feb 22, 2011 3:53 pm

-

ChriLa425

Postby ChriLa425 » Tue Feb 22, 2011 4:09 pm

has anyone heard about scholarships yet? gw is being silent.

FiveSermon

Postby FiveSermon » Tue Feb 22, 2011 4:09 pm

ChriLa425 wrote:has anyone heard about scholarships yet? gw is being silent.

You get scholarships in the mail with the admit package. If you didn't see it in there you won't be getting merit scholarships.

Lord_Roy

Postby Lord_Roy » Tue Feb 22, 2011 4:12 pm

FiveSermon wrote:

You get scholarships in the mail with the admit package. If you didn't see it in there you won't be getting merit scholarships.

I received the admit email on 2/17 and it said they would send the admit package the next day i.e. Friday 2/18. Anybody got the admit package yet?

aspire2more

Postby aspire2more » Tue Feb 22, 2011 4:20 pm

Lord_Roy wrote:
FiveSermon wrote:

I received the admit email on 2/17 and it said they would send the admit package the next day i.e. Friday 2/18. Anybody got the admit package yet?

No, remember yesterday was a federal holiday. It's going to be slightly delayed because USPS was closed.

emily330j

Postby emily330j » Tue Feb 22, 2011 4:21 pm

I was admitted on Thursday and just got the packet today

Lord_Roy

Postby Lord_Roy » Tue Feb 22, 2011 4:23 pm

aspire2more wrote:
Lord_Roy wrote:
FiveSermon wrote:

No, remember yesterday was a federal holiday. It's going to be slightly delayed because USPS was closed.

True, I forgot about that since I'm not in the US nor a citizen.... anyway, I just read your post on the UVA thread about your admittance and tuition, that's incredible! Congrats!

aspire2more

Postby aspire2more » Tue Feb 22, 2011 4:26 pm

Lord_Roy wrote:True, I forgot about that since I'm not in the US nor a citizen.... anyway, I just read your post on the UVA thread about your admittance and tuition, that's incredible! Congrats!

Thanks!!! :D

msridiculous447

Postby msridiculous447 » Tue Feb 22, 2011 4:48 pm

Got my packet...no money but a nice handwritten note from the dean.

ChriLa425

Postby ChriLa425 » Tue Feb 22, 2011 5:12 pm

No I didn´t get any $$$ when admitted but I´m in a weird situation, cause I went for the ED Admit for the presidential scholarship but ended up getting in RD. They said scholly info would come later and...nothing. any ideas?

FiveSermon

Postby FiveSermon » Tue Feb 22, 2011 5:14 pm

ChriLa425 wrote:No I didn´t get any $$$ when admitted but I´m in a weird situation, cause I went for the ED Admit for the presidential scholarship but ended up getting in RD. They said scholly info would come later and...nothing. any ideas?

Wow, you didn't get in ED the 130k scholarship with a 174/3.7!??!

ChriLa425

Postby ChriLa425 » Tue Feb 22, 2011 5:15 pm

FiveSermon wrote:
ChriLa425 wrote:No I didn´t get any $$$ when admitted but I´m in a weird situation, cause I went for the ED Admit for the presidential scholarship but ended up getting in RD. They said scholly info would come later and...nothing. any ideas?

Wow, you didn't get in ED the 130k scholarship with a 174/3.7!??!

Retook, original score was lower.
Last edited by ChriLa425 on Wed Aug 01, 2012 12:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”