GW 2011 Applicants Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
akili

Gold

Re: GW 2011 Applicants

Post by akili » Sat Feb 05, 2011 6:40 pm

weejonbu wrote:
NorCalBruin wrote:I just got my acceptance package from GW.

No scholarship information though... I'm assuming I didn't get one? Is that correct?

I'm 169 / 3.8, so I was hoping for at least SOMETHING. I mean the dean wrote on my acceptance letter "Great personal statement! You're an outstanding candidate! Hope tha tyou continue your law school adventure at GW this fall..." and such and such. Maybe they write that for everyone.
I got my acceptance packet today as well, and the handwritten note was almost word-for-word the same: "You're an outstanding candidate - great personal statement! I hope you will join the GW community this fall."

Weird, huh?

Btw, I have a question for people on this forum. It appears I haven't been offered any money yet either, and by all means I am a debt averse person. But I got through undergrad with $0 debt, and I don't see a huge issue with having some after law school, as starting pay, even ITE, is pretty decent. Yeah, GWU is Gtown's red-headed stepchild, and yeah COL in DC is totally ridiculous. . . but I don't know, for some reason I will still VERY seriously consider this school barring acceptances at a better school or a cheaper but comparable option. Just seems like everyone is ready to withdraw the minute they get accepted at GWU.
I guess my thing is better ranked schools have offered me money. Ranking isn't everything, I <3 DC, and I have parents covering most, if not all, of law school...but still. I could not stomach paying sticker plus COL in DC when I could go to UT for way less money, you know? I don't mind having a little debt post-law school, but I want to be smart about how I spend my money. Now, if GW had given me a scholarship it would be a front-runner for me...so it hurts to have to cross it off my list.

JJDancer

Gold

Post by JJDancer » Sat Feb 05, 2011 6:42 pm

weejonbu wrote:

No scholarship information though... I'm assuming I didn't get one? Is that correct?

I'm 169 / 3.8, so I was hoping for at least SOMETHING. I mean the dean wrote on my acceptance letter "Great personal statement! You're an outstanding candidate! Hope tha tyou continue your law school adventure at GW this fall..." and such and such. Maybe they write that for everyone.
I got my acceptance packet today as well, and the handwritten note was almost word-for-word the same: "You're an outstanding candidate - great personal statement! I hope you will join the GW community this fall."

Weird, huh?

Btw, I have a question for people on this forum. It appears I haven't been offered any money yet either, and by all means I am a debt averse person. But I got through undergrad with $0 debt, and I don't see a huge issue with having some after law school, as starting pay, even ITE, is pretty decent. Yeah, GWU is Gtown's red-headed stepchild, and yeah COL in DC is totally ridiculous. . . but I don't know, for some reason I will still VERY seriously consider this school barring acceptances at a better school or a cheaper but comparable option. Just seems like everyone is ready to withdraw the minute they get accepted at GWU.
I already have 80K in UG loans from GW....makes me a LOT more debt averse than I would be if I had 0 UG loans. :?

Flips88

Diamond

Post by Flips88 » Sat Feb 05, 2011 6:45 pm

weejonbu wrote:

Weird, huh?

I also have $0 debt from UG, but I'm not too interested in taking on $200k in debt for GW and fighting for job in one of the most competitive legal markets in the world. If you want to pay back those loans within 10 years of graduation, that means you're going to be losing $25k or more to making payments per year. If you can land a big law job out of GW then that might not be so bad. But if you're only making $60 or even $75k in DC, with the ridic CoL, things will be very tight and you won't get to start saving any money until you're 35.

So if you have a shot at a slightly lower school that will give you scholarship and minimize your debt and you still reach the top of your class, you may be able to land a high paying job with lower debt, so you won't be shackled with debt. It's a debate every applicant has to have, because it's such an important life decision.

weejonbu

Bronze

Post by weejonbu » Sat Feb 05, 2011 6:52 pm

Good responses thus far guys, appreciate it.

Yeah akili, I haven't heard back from UT yet, although I am in-state and pretty borderline (LSAT = 25% ; GPA > 75%), so crossing my fingers because it IS higher ranked and even with no scholly it would be tons cheaper.

Flips, you're very right... so far I've only gotten into W&L but with a good scholly. Still, seems like GW has a lot greater national/international reach, which seems like rolling the dice may very well be worth it. I'll have to wait until my cycle is complete, and see how the ASW goes at W&L is in two weeks =)

cowgirl_bebop

Silver

Post by cowgirl_bebop » Sat Feb 05, 2011 6:53 pm

JJDancer wrote:
weejonbu wrote:

Weird, huh?

I already have 80K in UG loans from GW....makes me a LOT more debt averse than I would be if I had 0 UG loans. :?
THIS!

I would take the jump and just go to GW and borrow the money if it wasnt for UG debt. I cannot and will not take on another $200K+ for GW. My family is not going to be able to contribute a red cent, so it is all on me. Taking out what is equivalent to a mortgage for the 2nd best school in DC is a no go. Unless they miraculously have money left, and I hear they dont, and want to give me something, I am going to withdraw as soon as I make a decision on another school. I'd rather go to a T30 for free that is the best in its market than take out that money for GW.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

FiveSermon

Gold

Post by FiveSermon » Sat Feb 05, 2011 8:23 pm

This is weird. I have lower numbers than you (LSAT by 1) but I did hit both their medians while you...I guess dipped below their GPA median?

HappyinDC

New

Post by HappyinDC » Sat Feb 05, 2011 9:33 pm

akili wrote:

I got sort of a similar note and no $$ (mine said something from my PS)
Same--my note made mention of my interest in immigration and no $$.

srvyorgeneral

New

Post by srvyorgeneral » Tue Feb 08, 2011 10:00 am

Anyone with a 1/19 complete date heard back yet? From LSN it seems like the 1/19 complete batch is the next one in line for decisions.

beachviolet11

Bronze

Post by beachviolet11 » Tue Feb 08, 2011 10:04 am

srvyorgeneral wrote:Anyone with a 1/19 complete date heard back yet? From LSN it seems like the 1/19 complete batch is the next one in line for decisions.

nothing here

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

n_gal

New

Post by n_gal » Tue Feb 08, 2011 10:15 am

beachviolet11 wrote:
srvyorgeneral wrote:Anyone with a 1/19 complete date heard back yet? From LSN it seems like the 1/19 complete batch is the next one in line for decisions.

nothing here
+1

aaaaaah

Bronze

Post by aaaaaah » Tue Feb 08, 2011 10:24 am

n_gal wrote:
beachviolet11 wrote:

nothing here
+1
Nothing.

UA7789

New

Post by UA7789 » Tue Feb 08, 2011 11:51 am

aaaaaah wrote:
n_gal wrote:
beachviolet11 wrote:

nothing here
+1
Nothing.
Same here...

UA7789

New

Post by UA7789 » Tue Feb 08, 2011 6:30 pm

Dinged via email just now... 165/3.66 o well

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

beachviolet11

Bronze

Post by beachviolet11 » Tue Feb 08, 2011 6:39 pm

UA7789 wrote:Dinged via email just now... 165/3.66 o well
+1

BBeauty

New

Post by BBeauty » Tue Feb 08, 2011 6:50 pm

beachviolet11 wrote:
+1
Im nervous, you all have a 1/19 complete date right?

UA7789

New

Post by UA7789 » Tue Feb 08, 2011 6:54 pm

BBeauty wrote:
beachviolet11 wrote:
+1
Yep 1/19 complete. Received the decision about 20 minutes ago

BBeauty

New

Post by BBeauty » Tue Feb 08, 2011 6:55 pm

UA7789 wrote:
BBeauty wrote:
beachviolet11 wrote:
+1
Yep 1/19 complete. Received the decision about 20 minutes ago
Im sorry you guys :| I havent recieved anything yet...

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

URMdan

Bronze

Post by URMdan » Tue Feb 08, 2011 7:24 pm

Dinged today

cowgirl_bebop

Silver

Post by cowgirl_bebop » Tue Feb 08, 2011 7:49 pm

URMdan wrote:Dinged today
Sorry man. I was really rooting for you :(

URMdan

Bronze

Post by URMdan » Tue Feb 08, 2011 7:50 pm

cowgirl_bebop wrote:
URMdan wrote:Dinged today
Sorry man. I was really rooting for you :(
:cry: I guess it's American, unless BC admits me

JenBunny

New

Post by JenBunny » Tue Feb 08, 2011 8:32 pm

Just got waitlisted. 170 LSAT and no GPA because my undergrad is international, but my undergraduate record was rated 'Superior' by LSAC (and from a highly regarded UK university). I'm kind of in shock right now and worried about the rest of my cycle.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Shloime

Bronze

Post by Shloime » Tue Feb 08, 2011 8:36 pm

JenBunny wrote:Just got waitlisted. 170 LSAT and no GPA because my undergrad is international, but my undergraduate record was rated 'Superior' by LSAC (and from a highly regarded UK university). I'm kind of in shock right now and worried about the rest of my cycle.
Don't worry. GW seems to be very into GPA this cycle.

fatduck

Gold

Post by fatduck » Tue Feb 08, 2011 8:42 pm

JenBunny wrote:Just got waitlisted. 170 LSAT and no GPA because my undergrad is international, but my undergraduate record was rated 'Superior' by LSAC (and from a highly regarded UK university). I'm kind of in shock right now and worried about the rest of my cycle.
probably yield protection - you should be competitive at T14 schools with a 170/superior

for comparison several people including myself have been accepted with 170s and gpas in the 2.9-3.4 range

sabenser

Bronze

Post by sabenser » Tue Feb 08, 2011 8:50 pm

Nothing here

JenBunny

New

Post by JenBunny » Tue Feb 08, 2011 8:53 pm

fatduck wrote:
probably yield protection - you should be competitive at T14 schools with a 170/superior

for comparison several people including myself have been accepted with 170s and gpas in the 2.9-3.4 range
I really, really hope you're right! Even if you're not, thanks for giving me a bit of hope!

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”