GW 2011 Applicants Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
cowgirl_bebop

Silver

Re: GW 2011 Applicants

Post by cowgirl_bebop » Wed Feb 09, 2011 2:53 pm

R.R. Raskolnikov wrote: As a side note, it doesn't look great for the school that they are being borderline curt/rude with some people who inquire about aid. It also felt like it took a year between my admission email and the packet showing up in the mail, so they were missing a chance to sell me on their school before word came in from elsewhere. You'd think they might want to try warming up to their prospective students a little more given it's so easy to exchange information about admissions practices these days.
I dont think GW gives a damn about the impression they give out to us asking about aid. I think they figure people are willing to accept anything because they are GW. They must know that for many of us GW is one of the if not the highest ranked schools we were admitted to and that we are just going to show up anyway.

If so, they are sadly mistaken. I am not even going to make the effort to finance GW because I see that if I ever end up in a real bind, they are not going to help me in any form or fashion. My financial aid officer gave me a call the other day and had a "sucks for you" attitude when I was trying to explain my situation to her. I am definitely not going to GW in the fall...

Teoeo

Silver

Post by Teoeo » Wed Feb 09, 2011 2:55 pm

cowgirl_bebop wrote:
R.R. Raskolnikov wrote: As a side note, it doesn't look great for the school that they are being borderline curt/rude with some people who inquire about aid. It also felt like it took a year between my admission email and the packet showing up in the mail, so they were missing a chance to sell me on their school before word came in from elsewhere. You'd think they might want to try warming up to their prospective students a little more given it's so easy to exchange information about admissions practices these days.
I dont think GW gives a damn about the impression they give out to us asking about aid. I think they figure people are willing to accept anything because they are GW. They must know that for many of us GW is one of the if not the highest ranked schools we were admitted to and that we are just going to show up anyway.

If so, they are sadly mistaken. I am not even going to make the effort to finance GW because I see that if I ever end up in a real bind, they are not going to help me in any form or fashion. My financial aid officer gave me a call the other day and had a "sucks for you" attitude when I was trying to explain my situation to her. I am definitely not going to GW in the fall...
I understand that all of you are unhappy, but you guys need to realize that none of you are entitled to get merit aid. Don't get so worked up over it and just go somewhere else.
Last edited by Teoeo on Wed Feb 09, 2011 2:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

FiveSermon

Gold

Post by FiveSermon » Wed Feb 09, 2011 2:56 pm

cowgirl_bebop wrote:

What? People get merit scholarships because they have the numbers or softs for it. People don't get merit scholarships because they need it.

Also almost any school views it this way. I don't get why you are singling out GW as being inconsiderate when you would receive an almost identical response anywhere else if your numbers were the same comparatively as they were to GW.

JTMan

Bronze

Post by JTMan » Wed Feb 09, 2011 2:58 pm

FiveSermon wrote:
cowgirl_bebop wrote:

What? People get merit scholarships because they have the numbers or softs for it. People don't get merit scholarships because they need it.

Also almost any school views it this way. I don't get why you are singling out GW as being inconsiderate when you would receive an almost identical response anywhere else if your numbers were the same comparatively as they were to GW.
Agreed. MERIT = you get it for being the best in the pool. Don't like it? Work harder so you are the best in the pool.

Teoeo

Silver

Post by Teoeo » Wed Feb 09, 2011 2:59 pm

JTMan wrote:
FiveSermon wrote:
cowgirl_bebop wrote:

Agreed. MERIT = you get it for being the best in the pool. Don't like it? Work harder so you are the best in the pool.
+1

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

dcbound

New

Post by dcbound » Wed Feb 09, 2011 3:02 pm

Teoeo wrote:
cowgirl_bebop wrote:

I understand that all of you are unhappy, but you guys need to realize that none of you are entitled to get merit aid. Don't get so worked up over it and just go somewhere else.

Damn, seriously. I'm simply hoping enough spots open up for them to hit up the WL a decent amount. And I ASSURE you, I am broke as a joke. The idea that anyone will help me with money for school is laughable at best....

cowgirl_bebop

Silver

Post by cowgirl_bebop » Wed Feb 09, 2011 3:07 pm

Before anyone else decides to lecture me on who gets merit aid and how, I wasnt asking for merit aid. I knew that ship had sailed when I didnt get anything in my packet. I emailed her to ask if she knew anything about any outside scholarships and she called me back. We spoke about rounding up outside sources of aid and what I needed to do to get any need based aid I could qualify for. During the entire conversation she was rather short and rude, for seemingly no reason. Even getting the answers to simple questions was challenge.

I had/have no intention of begging money from GW. If I wanted GW enough to drown in debt for them I could take out the loans to cover it. But when a student calls asking about how to go about getting their financial aid paperwork together and other options besides merit and need based aid from the school, a little courtesy goes a long way. I have spoken with other schools and they have been way more helpful in helping me figure out the steps I need to take and when to finance LS.

androstan

Gold

Post by androstan » Wed Feb 09, 2011 3:11 pm

All I know is that, if GW gives me 10k/year in need-based grants, I will <3 them 4E.

FiveSermon

Gold

Post by FiveSermon » Wed Feb 09, 2011 3:13 pm

cowgirl_bebop wrote:Before anyone else decides to lecture me on who gets merit aid and how, I wasnt asking for merit aid. I knew that ship had sailed when I didnt get anything in my packet. I emailed her to ask if she knew anything about any outside scholarships and she called me back. We spoke about rounding up outside sources of aid and what I needed to do to get any need based aid I could qualify for. During the entire conversation she was rather short and rude, for seemingly no reason. Even getting the answers to simple questions was challenge.

I had/have no intention of begging money from GW. If I wanted GW enough to drown in debt for them I could take out the loans to cover it. But when a student calls asking about how to go about getting their financial aid paperwork together and other options besides merit and need based aid from the school, a little courtesy goes a long way. I have spoken with other schools and they have been way more helpful in helping me figure out the steps I need to take and when to finance LS.
So because one person wasn't the most courteous person in the world you suddenly find it fit to judge the school's entire financial aid policy as a whole? Also it's called outside scholarships for a reason. Do some research on your own.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

cowgirl_bebop

Silver

Post by cowgirl_bebop » Wed Feb 09, 2011 3:16 pm

FiveSermon wrote:
cowgirl_bebop wrote:Before anyone else decides to lecture me on who gets merit aid and how, I wasnt asking for merit aid. I knew that ship had sailed when I didnt get anything in my packet. I emailed her to ask if she knew anything about any outside scholarships and she called me back. We spoke about rounding up outside sources of aid and what I needed to do to get any need based aid I could qualify for. During the entire conversation she was rather short and rude, for seemingly no reason. Even getting the answers to simple questions was challenge.

So because one person wasn't the most courteous person in the world you suddenly find it fit to judge the school's entire financial aid policy as a whole? Also it's called outside scholarships for a reason. Do some research on your own.
1. Impressions matter, especially first impressions. If my assigned aid officer is discourteous, I get a bad feeling about them and the school they work for. I tend to go with my gut.

2. I contacted to a) see if the list I got online was the most up to date version and b) check on a few that said I needed to get applications/information directly from the school. If the outside scholarship says "contact the school's financial aid office" thats what Im going to do. Or do you suggest I simply break in and go through their files myself?

Teoeo

Silver

Post by Teoeo » Wed Feb 09, 2011 3:17 pm

cowgirl_bebop wrote:
FiveSermon wrote:

1. Impressions matter, especially first impressions. If my assigned aid officer is discourteous, I get a bad feeling about them and the school they work for. I tend to go with my gut.

2. I contacted to a) see if the list I got online was the most up to date version and b) check on a few that said I needed to get applications/information directly from the school. If the outside scholarship says "contact the school's financial aid office" thats what Im going to do. Or do you suggest I simply break in and go through their files myself?
Calm down. You are taking this way too personally.

cowgirl_bebop

Silver

Post by cowgirl_bebop » Wed Feb 09, 2011 3:21 pm

Teoeo wrote: Calm down. You are taking this way too personally.
Sorry. I just get ticked when people decide to lecture me as if they knew anything about my situation, especially when they lecture me on something irrelevant.

Teoeo

Silver

Post by Teoeo » Wed Feb 09, 2011 3:22 pm

cowgirl_bebop wrote:
Teoeo wrote: Calm down. You are taking this way too personally.
Sorry. I just get ticked when people decide to lecture me as if they knew anything about my situation, especially when they lecture me on something irrelevant.
Ya I get it, this is a stressful moment for you. A lot is on the line. I wouldn't be so quick to judge GW though, I have found it to be really nice here. I get that the money is a huge issue though =(

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

R.R. Raskolnikov

Bronze

Post by R.R. Raskolnikov » Wed Feb 09, 2011 3:28 pm

FiveSermon wrote:What? People get merit scholarships because they have the numbers or softs for it. People don't get merit scholarships because they need it.

I'm not sure if "you" refers to me or the person who was unhappy with their lack of aid that quoted me (I'm guessing the latter) but my main point was that GW may not be doing the best job of selling their admitted students on the school, whether it's the people who would be coming at full cost to finance the merit-scholarships, or the people giving up admission to better schools to follow the money. They need both, you'd figure they'd put on their best face for them.

I have no doubt about their (necessary) calculations when doling out merit awards; their rigidness when considering negotiations is a little surprising though in light of practices at other schools (if some of the results described in the financial aid forums are to be believed). It's easy to say merit=merit money, but solid applicants showing a strong willingness to attend seems to produce results for some people dealing with other schools, even if there are stronger applicants out there missing out on $$. But if your numbers and softs just aren't good enough for them to want you that much, that's another matter.

R.R. Raskolnikov

Bronze

Post by R.R. Raskolnikov » Wed Feb 09, 2011 3:33 pm

R.R. Raskolnikov wrote: I'm not sure if "you" refers to me or the person who was unhappy with their lack of aid that quoted me (I'm guessing the latter) but my main point was that GW may not be doing the best job of selling their admitted students on the school, whether it's the people who would be coming at full cost to finance the merit-scholarships, or the people giving up admission to better schools to follow the money. They need both, you'd figure they'd put on their best face for them.

I have no doubt about their (necessary) calculations when doling out merit awards; their rigidness when considering negotiations is a little surprising though in light of practices at other schools (if some of the results described in the financial aid forums are to be believed). It's easy to say merit=merit money, but solid applicants showing a strong willingness to attend seems to produce results for some people dealing with other schools, even if there are stronger applicants out there missing out on $$. But if your numbers and softs just aren't good enough for them to want you that much, that's another matter.
I should also note that I'm basing some of this perception on a series of posts I read (I think on this thread) yesterday where a bunch of people claimed to have similar not-quite-pleasant exchanges with the school. That's entirely anecdotal though so I'm not making a broad claim. More of a "if that's the case, then..."

bender18

Bronze

Post by bender18 » Wed Feb 09, 2011 4:52 pm

Last edited by bender18 on Wed Feb 12, 2014 12:15 pm, edited 2 times in total.

minuit

Silver

Post by minuit » Wed Feb 09, 2011 5:18 pm

Backing up a few other people on here...The contrast between last year's and this year's thread is striking. Maybe people cared less because GW was ranked 28th, maybe the people were more laid back, I dunno. The fact that GW gives huge schollies or nothing should not be surprising - this has been their strategy for awhile. I think it's stupid, for sure, and that they would do better by giving smaller schollies to a larger number of people, but that's the way it is. GW can be nice and helpful, and GW can be rude and short. I really don't know why everyone is singling out this school like they are suddenly doing anything different. People underestimate this school's importance on TLS for some reason, so there seems to be a slight negative tone associated with talk of it. I just do not remember people complaining so much in last year's group.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

fatduck

Gold

Post by fatduck » Wed Feb 09, 2011 5:33 pm

minuit wrote:Backing up a few other people on here...The contrast between last year's and this year's thread is striking. Maybe people cared less because GW was ranked 28th, maybe the people were more laid back, I dunno. The fact that GW gives huge schollies or nothing should not be surprising - this has been their strategy for awhile. I think it's stupid, for sure, and that they would do better by giving smaller schollies to a larger number of people, but that's the way it is. GW can be nice and helpful, and GW can be rude and short. I really don't know why everyone is singling out this school like they are suddenly doing anything different. People underestimate this school's importance on TLS for some reason, so there seems to be a slight negative tone associated with talk of it. I just do not remember people complaining so much in last year's group.
I think because GW is so high on the IP specialty rankings list some people on TLS feel that they have to disparage it more than other schools

R.R. Raskolnikov

Bronze

Post by R.R. Raskolnikov » Wed Feb 09, 2011 5:35 pm

minuit wrote:Backing up a few other people on here...The contrast between last year's and this year's thread is striking. Maybe people cared less because GW was ranked 28th, maybe the people were more laid back, I dunno. The fact that GW gives huge schollies or nothing should not be surprising - this has been their strategy for awhile. I think it's stupid, for sure, and that they would do better by giving smaller schollies to a larger number of people, but that's the way it is. GW can be nice and helpful, and GW can be rude and short. I really don't know why everyone is singling out this school like they are suddenly doing anything different. People underestimate this school's importance on TLS for some reason, so there seems to be a slight negative tone associated with talk of it. I just do not remember people complaining so much in last year's group.
I don't disagree with any of this. I profited from the all or nothing approach, so I certainly have no complaints.

I was just observing the bolded part above more than anything. I think they'd draw more people to the school if they had a slightly different approach given people's justified fears of rising tuition and DC's COL, but that's their prerogative.

akili

Gold

Post by akili » Wed Feb 09, 2011 5:48 pm

I think most of the hurt feelings/disappointment/anger is from people who really like GW and would like to go there, but cannot without a scholarship. At least that's it for me. I'm just bummed. Congrats to everyone who did get $$ and good luck to everyone waiting still!

Flips88

Diamond

Post by Flips88 » Wed Feb 09, 2011 5:54 pm

akili wrote:I think most of the hurt feelings/disappointment/anger is from people who really like GW and would like to go there, but cannot without a scholarship. At least that's it for me. I'm just bummed. Congrats to everyone who did get $$ and good luck to everyone waiting still!
+1

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

minuit

Silver

Post by minuit » Wed Feb 09, 2011 5:58 pm

akili wrote:I think most of the hurt feelings/disappointment/anger is from people who really like GW and would like to go there, but cannot without a scholarship. At least that's it for me. I'm just bummed. Congrats to everyone who did get $$ and good luck to everyone waiting still!

Oh for sure! People talked/worried about the high CoA last year, too. There just seems to be more anger about it this year.

androstan

Gold

Post by androstan » Wed Feb 09, 2011 6:16 pm

minuit wrote:

Oh for sure! People talked/worried about the high CoA last year, too. There just seems to be more anger about it this year.
Probably people feeling frustrated/angry/resentful when they get $$$ (sometimes a lot of $) from peerish schools they'd rather not attend in regions they'd rather not live.

Puts those people in an awkward position.

Gotti

Gold

Post by Gotti » Wed Feb 09, 2011 7:24 pm

androstan wrote:
minuit wrote:

Probably people feeling frustrated/angry/resentful when they get $$$ (sometimes a lot of $) from peerish schools they'd rather not attend in regions they'd rather not live.

Puts those people in an awkward position.
ohai me + UMN $$ = ^that

robchuckbob

New

Post by robchuckbob » Wed Feb 09, 2011 11:23 pm

Rejected by e-mail today.

Really was not expecting that, but I didn't really want to live in DC anyway.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”