GW 2011 Applicants Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
PuckCU06

New

Re: GW 2011 Applicants

Post by PuckCU06 » Wed Jun 08, 2011 6:58 pm

Just withdrew from GWU -- good luck to those of you on the wait list. It was a tough choice, but it makes me happy to think that if I'm letting go of this school, it's so that someone else who really wants it will get the call they've been waiting for... Great school!

bigjinjapan

Bronze

Post by bigjinjapan » Thu Jun 09, 2011 12:13 am

Also withdrew over the weekend. No money to put back in the pot (other than my deposit :? ), but I hopethat one of the long-suffering waitlisters gets my spot.

jjlee

New

Post by jjlee » Thu Jun 09, 2011 12:45 am

Thanks Guys!! Lol

law4vus

Silver

Post by law4vus » Thu Jun 09, 2011 2:05 am

PuckCU06 wrote:Just withdrew from GWU -- good luck to those of you on the wait list. It was a tough choice, but it makes me happy to think that if I'm letting go of this school, it's so that someone else who really wants it will get the call they've been waiting for... Great school!
I really, really hope I get your spot lol

androstan

Gold

Post by androstan » Fri Jun 10, 2011 1:25 pm

FuManChusco wrote:
aaaaaah wrote:If the prevailing opinion is that GW @ sticker = crazy, I don't understand how they fill their class. It seems like their merit awards are $105k or $0. Do they give out that many $105k deals? I know a lot of people must suck it up and pay full price, but I do wonder about the % of students receiving awards.
that's the prevailing opinion on TLS. TLS != the majority of LS applicants. also, this was my 1337 post FTW.
Children of wealthy parents who couldn't get into GULC etc. go to GW at sticker.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

tigerbunny

New

declined WL offer

Post by tigerbunny » Sun Jun 12, 2011 12:00 pm

applied to GW February 16th
waitlisted March 4th
withdrew June 8th

Good luck to those who are still waiting!
Last edited by tigerbunny on Wed Jun 15, 2011 12:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

TheFutureLawyer

Gold

Post by TheFutureLawyer » Sun Jun 12, 2011 12:29 pm

androstan wrote:
FuManChusco wrote:
aaaaaah wrote:If the prevailing opinion is that GW @ sticker = crazy, I don't understand how they fill their class. It seems like their merit awards are $105k or $0. Do they give out that many $105k deals? I know a lot of people must suck it up and pay full price, but I do wonder about the % of students receiving awards.
that's the prevailing opinion on TLS. TLS != the majority of LS applicants. also, this was my 1337 post FTW.
Children of wealthy parents who couldn't get into GULC etc. go to GW at sticker.
lol, that's funny coming from someone who got rejected by GULC and is going to be attending GW. What makes you think GW has more rich students than other schools?

things fall apart

Bronze

Post by things fall apart » Mon Jun 13, 2011 5:49 am

TheFutureLawyer wrote:
androstan wrote:
FuManChusco wrote:
lol, that's funny coming from someone who got rejected by GULC and is going to be attending GW. What makes you think GW has more rich students than other schools?
Um? *BROAD GENERALIZATION ALERT* But usually schools with high tuitions and sky high COL that arent particularly proportional to its quality/ranking attract more wealthy students.

Same thing in undergrad. Kids paying 40k for run-of-the-mill private school in Expensive-Zip-Code(Cali, chi, fl, ny, dc), USA are generally more well off than kids at state-school, good-school-in-mid-size -ity, merit-heavy-scholly-schools.

Enjoy my punctuation :lol:

Deuce

Silver

Post by Deuce » Mon Jun 13, 2011 6:46 am

things fall apart wrote:
Um? *BROAD GENERALIZATION ALERT* But usually schools with high tuitions and sky high COL that arent particularly proportional to its quality/ranking attract more wealthy students.

Same thing in undergrad. Kids paying 40k for run-of-the-mill private school in Expensive-Zip-Code(Cali, chi, fl, ny, dc), USA are generally more well off than kids at state-school, good-school-in-mid-size -ity, merit-heavy-scholly-schools.

Enjoy my punctuation :lol:
I feel like you kind of knew everything you said here was really stupid, but you just said "fuck it" and ran with it anyway

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

msridiculous447

Bronze

Post by msridiculous447 » Mon Jun 13, 2011 7:47 am

Poor GW is the unloved stepchild on TLS. It's a 20th ranked school...some of you guys act like it's the equivalent of taking your career out back and shooting it. :roll:

Flips88

Diamond

Post by Flips88 » Mon Jun 13, 2011 9:12 am

msridiculous447 wrote:Poor GW is the unloved stepchild on TLS. It's a 20th ranked school...some of you guys act like it's the equivalent of taking your career out back and shooting it. :roll:
I think it's based on the fact that a)it is the 2nd best school in its market and b)its COA is really really high. (COA at UMN, which is tied with GW is $15,000 lower per year even for non-residents and is $21,000 lower for residents per year). It's not that it's killing your career, per se. It's that at sticker price it's a huge financial risk. Those that got the $105,000 scholly package are in a good position, but those going with zero merit and zero need based aid are fighting an uphill battle for sure.

bigjinjapan

Bronze

Post by bigjinjapan » Mon Jun 13, 2011 10:31 am

Flips88 wrote:
msridiculous447 wrote:Poor GW is the unloved stepchild on TLS. It's a 20th ranked school...some of you guys act like it's the equivalent of taking your career out back and shooting it. :roll:
I think it's based on the fact that a)it is the 2nd best school in its market and b)its COA is really really high. (COA at UMN, which is tied with GW is $15,000 lower per year even for non-residents and is $21,000 lower for residents per year). It's not that it's killing your career, per se. It's that at sticker price it's a huge financial risk. Those that got the $105,000 scholly package are in a good position, but those going with zero merit and zero need based aid are fighting an uphill battle for sure.
It's the 2nd-best school in a very competitive market, where you're not only going up against the other locals but also the big boys from out of town. And it is expensive, especially ITE. Most people who got money got offers from better schools and people who were reaching didn't get much money, which I think helps explains why they seem to get a bad rap on this forum...

bender18

Bronze

Post by bender18 » Mon Jun 13, 2011 12:13 pm

bigjinjapan wrote:
Flips88 wrote:
It's the 2nd-best school in a very competitive market, where you're not only going up against the other locals but also the big boys from out of town. And it is expensive, especially ITE. Most people who got money got offers from better schools and people who were reaching didn't get much money, which I think helps explains why they seem to get a bad rap on this forum...
Lol nice... generalizations that aren't true ftw.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

bigjinjapan

Bronze

Post by bigjinjapan » Mon Jun 13, 2011 6:38 pm

bender18 wrote:Lol nice... generalizations that aren't true ftw.
http://gw.lawschoolnumbers.com/applican ... =1&type=jd

uninformed flaming FTL. lawl. :roll:

bk1

Diamond

Post by bk1 » Mon Jun 13, 2011 6:57 pm

This seems to lend credence to my theory that GW tends to have an all or nothing approach to scholarship $.

Flips88

Diamond

Post by Flips88 » Mon Jun 13, 2011 7:06 pm

bk187 wrote:
This seems to lend credence to my theory that GW tends to have an all or nothing approach to scholarship $.
Yeah it's pretty uniformly $105k or nothing. Not sure about need-based aid. I got $0 for that as well despite having an EFC of $0. GW is the school that makes you give your parent's financial info but says they don't assess willingness or ability to provide, but family financial strength. That's a load of bs IMO.

fatduck

Gold

Post by fatduck » Mon Jun 13, 2011 7:29 pm

Flips88 wrote:
bk187 wrote:
Yeah it's pretty uniformly $105k or nothing. Not sure about need-based aid. I got $0 for that as well despite having an EFC of $0. GW is the school that makes you give your parent's financial info but says they don't assess willingness or ability to provide, but family financial strength. That's a load of bs IMO.
sounds about right to me...i don't think they even ask about willingness to provide, do they? how would they assess that fairly, anyway?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

HyeMart

Bronze

Post by HyeMart » Mon Jun 13, 2011 7:34 pm

Merit scholarships are big or 0, but GW has need-based aid that give out their smaller (2-16k per year) scholarships to students who did not receive merit aid.

And btw, most of the people I know who are paying sticker for a law school are not wealthy, and unfortunately they are attending t3-t4's. More wealthy kids attending GW at sticker is just shows the disproportional amount of wealthy kids in general who go to the better law schools.

msridiculous447

Bronze

Post by msridiculous447 » Tue Jun 14, 2011 8:37 am

Flips88 wrote:
It's not that it's killing your career, per se.
lololololol

bender18

Bronze

Post by bender18 » Tue Jun 14, 2011 1:20 pm

bigjinjapan wrote:
bender18 wrote:Lol nice... generalizations that aren't true ftw.
http://gw.lawschoolnumbers.com/applican ... =1&type=jd

uninformed flaming FTL. lawl. :roll:
Oh my bad. I thought you wrote something more along the lines of "most people who got money offers from GW got money offers from better schools." Lol a lot of people had to choose between GW w/106k and Gtown/Cornell @ sticker.

SilverE2

Silver

Post by SilverE2 » Fri Jun 24, 2011 4:31 pm

Withdrew today. Good luck to those waiting.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

androstan

Gold

Post by androstan » Mon Jun 27, 2011 10:16 am

TheFutureLawyer wrote:
androstan wrote:
FuManChusco wrote:
I don't think that.

penguinlover

New

Post by penguinlover » Tue Jun 28, 2011 3:02 am

Did everyone get the email on Friday about the wait list?

things fall apart

Bronze

Post by things fall apart » Tue Jun 28, 2011 7:08 am

penguinlover wrote:Did everyone get the email on Friday about the wait list?
What did it say?

penguinlover

New

Post by penguinlover » Tue Jun 28, 2011 11:23 am

It said that based on the responses from the second seat deposit deadline, they may have openings and may be making offers of admission this week.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”