GW 2011 Applicants Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
cowgirl_bebop

Silver

Re: GW 2011 Applicants

Post by cowgirl_bebop » Wed Feb 02, 2011 5:02 pm

How is GW with negotiating for aid? I hear they can be kind of stubborn when it comes to cash.

dot

Bronze

Post by dot » Wed Feb 02, 2011 5:04 pm

cowgirl_bebop wrote:How is GW with negotiating for aid? I hear they can be kind of stubborn when it comes to cash.
Dunno about the law school specifically, but GW is a machine made to take your money.

Flips88

Diamond

Post by Flips88 » Wed Feb 02, 2011 5:07 pm

dot wrote:
cowgirl_bebop wrote:How is GW with negotiating for aid? I hear they can be kind of stubborn when it comes to cash.
Dunno about the law school specifically, but GW is a machine made to take your money.
blatant t-6 trolling

JJDancer

Gold

Post by JJDancer » Wed Feb 02, 2011 5:08 pm

letmk wrote:If I didn't see any mention of scholarship in the admission package (only general info about financial aid), does that mean I will not get any $?
I think there is still a chance. Saw someone say they got scholly info a week after acceptance package.

eta: I was wrong. Meaning GW gave me NO MERIT AID? I know I'm not entitled but that's just ridiculous. I have thousands of dollars worth of UG loans from them already, no thanks GW!

Will be withdrawing. Oh well.
Last edited by JJDancer on Wed Feb 02, 2011 9:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dot

Bronze

Post by dot » Wed Feb 02, 2011 5:50 pm

Flips88 wrote:
dot wrote:
blatant t-6 trolling
Nah, I'm not talking about law school's value blablabla, that's not really my thing/don't care.

As a GW alumn, though, I just really dislike the institution.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

HappyinDC

New

Post by HappyinDC » Wed Feb 02, 2011 6:16 pm

cowgirl_bebop wrote:
HappyinDC wrote:
cowgirl_bebop wrote:
BlakcMajikc wrote:Was the scholly $s included in the admit packet? Very excited for the mail tomorrow!
So they claim in the email. I live here in DC, so Im hoping I get mine today or tomorrow. I am really nervous because without some sort of aid I dont think I'll be able to attend GW. That $46K tuition price is too rich for my blood :(
I live in DC also and got my packet in the mail yesterday!
Were you accepted last Thursday the 27th or before?
Last Thursday!

LSATurday

New

Post by LSATurday » Wed Feb 02, 2011 8:18 pm

got admit pack today.
No mention of monies :(

3.3/173

cowgirl_bebop

Silver

Post by cowgirl_bebop » Wed Feb 02, 2011 8:22 pm

Got my admissions packet today. No money and I am devastated. There is no way I could possibly afford this school, so right now I dont think I'll be joining any of you all this fall.

Got a nice handwritten note from Dean Maggs though.

androstan

Gold

Post by androstan » Wed Feb 02, 2011 8:40 pm

cowgirl_bebop wrote:Got my admissions packet today. No money and I am devastated. There is no way I could possibly afford this school, so right now I dont think I'll be joining any of you all this fall.

They make need-based aid offers starting in March...

Do you fafsa.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

cowgirl_bebop

Silver

Post by cowgirl_bebop » Wed Feb 02, 2011 8:42 pm

androstan wrote:
cowgirl_bebop wrote:Got my admissions packet today. No money and I am devastated. There is no way I could possibly afford this school, so right now I dont think I'll be joining any of you all this fall.

Do you fafsa.
I did it weeks ago. They max out need based aid @ $16K per year. Even that much is not enough to make GW a possibility. I already have undergraduate debt and my family has no money to contribute at all.

fatduck

Gold

Post by fatduck » Wed Feb 02, 2011 8:53 pm

androstan wrote:

Do you fafsa.
do you know if we're supposed to send in that GWU financial aid form, too? it asks for a GW Student ID number...

n_gal

New

Post by n_gal » Wed Feb 02, 2011 9:40 pm

Hey guys, I've been mostly lurking on this thread for a few days, and I have a probably dumb question so hopefully someone here can help me :D Does anyone know if I applied for the FT program and I don't get in if they will automatically consider me for the PT or if there is any way I can ask them to? Thanks!

JJDancer

Gold

Post by JJDancer » Wed Feb 02, 2011 10:01 pm

n_gal wrote:Hey guys, I've been mostly lurking on this thread for a few days, and I have a probably dumb question so hopefully someone here can help me :D Does anyone know if I applied for the FT program and I don't get in if they will automatically consider me for the PT or if there is any way I can ask them to? Thanks!
They will not automatically consider you.
Don't think they will even if you ask - think you had to apply as PT for that but I'm not sure.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

n_gal

New

Post by n_gal » Wed Feb 02, 2011 10:18 pm

JJDancer wrote:
n_gal wrote:Hey guys, I've been mostly lurking on this thread for a few days, and I have a probably dumb question so hopefully someone here can help me :D Does anyone know if I applied for the FT program and I don't get in if they will automatically consider me for the PT or if there is any way I can ask them to? Thanks!
They will not automatically consider you.
Don't think they will even if you ask - think you had to apply as PT for that but I'm not sure.
Ugh, I wish I would have thought about this sooner! Thanks for the help!

cowgirl_bebop

Silver

Post by cowgirl_bebop » Wed Feb 02, 2011 10:21 pm

I will most likely have to withdraw as well, although it breaks my heart into a billion pieces. I had my cry, but I will get over it (eventually).

Right now my best chance is a full-ride to IUB, and if that doesnt work out then off to St. John's it is. Ugh, what a sad, sad, turn of events!!

FiveSermon

Gold

Post by FiveSermon » Wed Feb 02, 2011 10:50 pm

I just got the letter. 106k over 3 years. I need to maintain at least a 3.0

First year of housing is free! Seriously making me consider GW!

androstan

Gold

Post by androstan » Wed Feb 02, 2011 11:50 pm

cowgirl_bebop wrote:I will most likely have to withdraw as well, although it breaks my heart into a billion pieces. I had my cry, but I will get over it (eventually).

Right now my best chance is a full-ride to IUB, and if that doesnt work out then off to St. John's it is. Ugh, what a sad, sad, turn of events!!
There's a possibility that scholarship-earners withdraw and choose T14 instead, freeing up some money later in the cycle. You may wanna hold out at least until the seat deposit deadline.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Gotti

Gold

Post by Gotti » Thu Feb 03, 2011 1:27 am

cowgirl_bebop wrote:I will most likely have to withdraw as well, although it breaks my heart into a billion pieces. I had my cry, but I will get over it (eventually).

There are SO many scholarships you can apply for that will give you money...you need to look for them. I know from your posting history that you overcame significant obstacles, so I really believe that you're going to be able to get some scholarships! You should talk to GW's financial aid office and exhaust all paths that may get you to GW!

cowgirl_bebop

Silver

Post by cowgirl_bebop » Thu Feb 03, 2011 8:28 am

androstan wrote:
There's a possibility that scholarship-earners withdraw and choose T14 instead, freeing up some money later in the cycle. You may wanna hold out at least until the seat deposit deadline.
I plan on waiting until the very end of March to see if I can squeeze anything out of GW, because the seat deposit for SJU is due April 1st and when I pay that $750 thats it.
Gotti wrote: There are SO many scholarships you can apply for that will give you money...you need to look for them. I know from your posting history that you overcame significant obstacles, so I really believe that you're going to be able to get some scholarships! You should talk to GW's financial aid office and exhaust all paths that may get you to GW!
I am going to get in touch with them today and see if I can sit down with them sometime soon and try to work something out. I want to crunch the numbers with them and see what if anything they can do for me.

K1988

New

Post by K1988 » Thu Feb 03, 2011 10:50 am

krad

Gold

Post by krad » Thu Feb 03, 2011 10:58 am

Got my packet in the mail yesterday, was in via email last Thurs (posted stats, etc. before). No scholly info. COA at GW is absurd :|

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Flips88

Diamond

Post by Flips88 » Thu Feb 03, 2011 1:10 pm

krad wrote:Got my packet in the mail yesterday, was in via email last Thurs (posted stats, etc. before). No scholly info. COA at GW is absurd :|
I emailed them about merit scholarship and got a surprisingly impersonal response. "While it is possible that an award may be offered to you later down the road, you should move forward on the assumption that you will not receive a scholarship offer." I also asked about travel reimbursement. They only reimburse you if you matriculate. Why you so frustrating GW? :?

jpk5372

Bronze

Post by jpk5372 » Thu Feb 03, 2011 1:43 pm

Flips88 wrote:
krad wrote:Got my packet in the mail yesterday, was in via email last Thurs (posted stats, etc. before). No scholly info. COA at GW is absurd :|
I emailed them about merit scholarship and got a surprisingly impersonal response. "While it is possible that an award may be offered to you later down the road, you should move forward on the assumption that you will not receive a scholarship offer." I also asked about travel reimbursement. They only reimburse you if you matriculate. Why you so frustrating GW? :?
THANK YOU! I asked about aid and this happened to me too, and my first thought was that the tone of the email wasn't very nice... Anyway we'll see what happens, I was really pulling for GW to make it worth my while since I live in DC and actually really like the school. Without a huge scholly though its just out of the question.

Gemini

Gold

Post by Gemini » Thu Feb 03, 2011 1:52 pm

I feel like GW is being really cheap this year and is trying to matriculate non-scholly students only lol. Hence why no one is getting money.

I say we stick it to the man and alllll decline the offer of admission.

dot

Bronze

Post by dot » Thu Feb 03, 2011 1:55 pm

Flips88 wrote:
Believe me now?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”