2010 Splitters Application Thread

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
crumpetsandtea

Re: 2010 Splitters Application Thread

Postby crumpetsandtea » Sun Feb 27, 2011 6:19 am

Hannibal wrote:Yeah, many times. I didn't write any Why essays so it's probably at least partially my fault. People have read my essays and said they were good so I know that's not the issue. FWIW, I'd be very happy going to WUSTL and UIUC with the money I got so I'm not too upset. Not even sure I'd go to CCN sticker over either of them since I'm not gunning for biglaw and I'm employment secure.

I didn't know you were employment secure, Hanni! That's great (: And I have a feeling a lot of admits will be trickling in for you as people on the WL hear back <3<3<3

BeachedBrit

Postby BeachedBrit » Sun Feb 27, 2011 9:20 am

3.5/174 (3.9+ GPA last 2 1/2 years, single LSAT,) had a CF thing that seems to be killing me in terms of scholarships (and maybe my overall cycle,) I've been offered nothing, not even a travel stipend for ASW, anywhere. I'm really hoping for a friendly WL cycle because it looks like I'll have a lot of them and will need to go to the best school possible at sticker.

In:
Texas
CU-Boulder

Held:
Columbia

WL:
Chicago
UVA
UCLA

Haven't heard (and still on original UR date):
NYU - I take this to mean WL
Duke - I have no idea what this means, I'm hoping it will work out.

Regrets: I'm kicking myself over and over for not applying at Penn or Michigan. I didn't bother applying because I got a little cocky about how well my cycle should go and don't really want to be in PA or MI but in hindsight either would have been a great option and much better than Texas at sticker. I'm really really hopeful for an acceptance at Duke and/or an acceptance from my hold at Columbia, I've done everything possible to get off that held list. I'm really not sure what I'll do if those acceptances are the only ones I end up with (and don't succeed in getting a decent bump in my offer at Texas.) Have considered reapplying next cycle.

whitman

Postby whitman » Sun Feb 27, 2011 11:42 am

Good luck with Columbia, but man I have to think that no MPBN was a mistake with a 3.5 - if you would have considered going there. I know 174 is really strong, but a 3.5 is pretty low for T10 schools and UVA and UCLA were almost guaranteed to WL you without an ED. That's just what UVA does to out-of-state non-EDers, and UCLA is very picky about GPAs. Regardless. Texas is a great school and hopefully they'll throw you some money. If you don't get into Columbia and decide to reapply I would apply broadly. At the very least, you will be more likely to receive money that you can use in scholarship negotiations. I think you'll get into Columbia, though.

Here's mine. 172/3.4x. I think my cycle has been going pretty well so far, though I have a few easy schools to cushion my record a fair amount.

In:
Penn
Northwestern
GULC
Cornell
Texas
Vanderbilt
Boston College
U of Washington
Colorado
Tulane (with 25k; withdrew my application)

WL:
UVA
UCLA

Pending
Michigan-->I think I still have a shot at this one.
Chicago-->I applied late and was looking at a best case scenario of a WL anyways.
NYU-->been UR since 11/1 so I think I'm just waiting for them to issue the round of WL/dings
USC-->I'll probably get the WL and, honestly, I'd have considered UCLA but probably not USC, since it's so limiting to the region. Unless I get a huge scholarship, which ain't likely with my GPA.

At this point I'm hoping for a big scholarship at Colorado or Washington and would seriously consider that. I would love to study and work in the pacific northwest or colorado. I wouldn't take any school at sticker, so I'm guessing Penn is out. I do NOT want NYC Biglaw, not that it's just there for the taking. Just saying.

Hannibal

Postby Hannibal » Sun Feb 27, 2011 5:25 pm

crumpetsandtea wrote:
Hannibal wrote:Yeah, many times. I didn't write any Why essays so it's probably at least partially my fault. People have read my essays and said they were good so I know that's not the issue. FWIW, I'd be very happy going to WUSTL and UIUC with the money I got so I'm not too upset. Not even sure I'd go to CCN sticker over either of them since I'm not gunning for biglaw and I'm employment secure.

I didn't know you were employment secure, Hanni! That's great (: And I have a feeling a lot of admits will be trickling in for you as people on the WL hear back <3<3<3

Haha <3. The employment I'm secure in isn't what I'd hope for (non-pi immigration law in what's essentially a suburb), but it's a nice safety net to have.

fatduck

Postby fatduck » Sun Feb 27, 2011 8:09 pm

Hannibal wrote:
crumpetsandtea wrote:

Haha <3. The employment I'm secure in isn't what I'd hope for (non-pi immigration law in what's essentially a suburb), but it's a nice safety net to have.

we have the exact same safety net. lol.

Plato651

Postby Plato651 » Mon Feb 28, 2011 11:17 am

Siamsa414

Postby Siamsa414 » Mon Feb 28, 2011 5:35 pm

Here's where I am for now. 3.2x/179, applied late in the cycle (mid-January).

In:
Northwestern
GULC
Loyola-LA
McGeorge

WL:
Davis

Out:
Stanford (no surprise there)

Pending:
Harvard (ha)
NYU
CLS
UVA
Michigan (fingers crossed especially hard here)
Cornell
UCLA
USC
BU
UC Hastings
Santa Clara

absolutazn87

Postby absolutazn87 » Mon Feb 28, 2011 6:12 pm

Here's where I am right now. I'm a 173/3.6 engineering major, LSAT retaker. I sent most of my apps in Sept/Oct with Columbia in Nov. Still waiting for $$ from Penn (really really hoping for it!)

In:
Penn
Michigan $$
Duke $$
Georgetown
Texas $$$

Out:
Berkeley

WL:
Columbia
Chicago
UVA

Still waiting:
NYU
UCLA
Cornell

Yeah, this year was pretty harsh for splitters (and retakers) esp at NYU and Chicago. Sad I'm most likely shut out of CCN but I'm really grateful for Penn, especially with their high GPA median, and Michigan $$!

Lawst

Postby Lawst » Sat Mar 05, 2011 1:23 am

(Updates with new outcomes)

The cycle started out promising, but now it's getting brutal.
Non trad, 165 LSAT, 2.84 GPA.

In at Brooklyn and Northeastern, but no merit aid. BLS flat out told me it's because my GPA is too low. I agree, but I'm a non-trad who graduated in '95 and had a successful first career, so I'm still floored that they're holding that against me when my LSAT is above their median.

Waitlisted at Fordham, which I was really pulling for.
Waitlisted at Cardozo - gah, was afraid of that. I guess my GPA is too much of a liability as they look to move up in the rankings.

In at St. John's with 30K, but withdrew because I just don't like it. In at CUNY - I want to do PI, but I also want, you know, a job, so I'm probably withdrawing. In at Rutgers with $12K, which is an option, but I'm not that excited about Jersey.
In at Seton Hall - I have been awarded merit aid but am still waiting word on the amount.

Got my first real rejection from NYU. Ah, expected.

Still waiting on :
BU
BC
Columbia
GULC (they've updated me at least three times - how am I still standing?)
Last edited by Lawst on Thu Mar 17, 2011 12:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

Eugenie Danglars

Postby Eugenie Danglars » Sat Mar 05, 2011 4:33 am

Hannibal wrote:Haha <3. The employment I'm secure in isn't what I'd hope for (non-pi immigration law in what's essentially a suburb), but it's a nice safety net to have.

I hear that net sharing is good karma :D

wiseguy33

Postby wiseguy33 » Wed Mar 16, 2011 2:56 am

175, 3.4x

In: Cornell, GULC, GW, Wash U (84K), UCH, UCD
Out: HYS ( :roll: ), Penn, Michigan
WL/Hold/Defer: Columbia, NYU (no response since last fall), Chicago, Northwestern, UVA, Duke, UCLA, Texas

Do I win for # of WLs?

Kiwi917

Postby Kiwi917 » Wed Mar 16, 2011 8:53 pm

Coming back to update - I've always liked this thread. Only a mild splitter here, 3.5x 176 (retake)

In: Columbia, NYU, Boalt, Cornell, Georgetown, UCLA, BU, BC, UC Davis, Hastings, Northeastern, Loyola, Santa Clara, USF.
Out: Stanford
WL: Chicago, Penn, Michigan, UVa, Duke
Post-JR1 limbo at H :(

Kabuo

Postby Kabuo » Thu Mar 17, 2011 8:25 am

Update here too. 3.2x, 176 Feb retake (172 when I applied).

In: Wash U (84k)

Out: UVA, Vandy.

WL: Michigan, UCLA, Northwestern (No w/e, no interview)

Pending: Cornell (Hurry up!), GULC, Columbia, Notre Dame, Alabama.

Really disappointed and frustrated. And I really do like Wash U, but I want to have SOME options, damn it. Looking like an almost sure re-apply scenario if I don't get Cornell.

TyrodTaylor

Postby TyrodTaylor » Thu Mar 17, 2011 8:28 am

Cycle over

3.13 167

In:
William and Mary- in state
Richmond-$$

WL:
W&L- withdrew

I feel good for having a fairly decent cycle considering i only applied to 3 schools.

bdubs

Postby bdubs » Tue Mar 29, 2011 2:52 pm

Any splitters getting money out there?

I feel like i've had a reasonably successful cycle in terms of admissions but not so much in terms of scholarships. WUSTL came through with a pretty big $84k, Duke $36k, but Penn and GULC both gave me zero. Still haven't heard from USC or NYU.

In:
NYU
Penn
Duke
Northwestern
GULC
USC
WUSTL
University of Washington

WL:
Columbia
Chicago
Michigan
Viriginia
UCLA

Waiting:
Stanford

Edit: 3.5 GPA, 172 LSAT (retake with addendum)
Submitted most of my applications in late October and a few in early November.
Last edited by bdubs on Tue Mar 29, 2011 3:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

beachbum

Postby beachbum » Tue Mar 29, 2011 2:56 pm

bdubs wrote:Any splitters getting money out there?

I feel like i've had a reasonably successful cycle in terms of admissions but not so much in terms of scholarships. WUSTL came through with a pretty big $84k, Duke $36k, but Penn and GULC both gave me zero. Still haven't heard from USC or NYU.

$30k to W&M, $24k to Duke, cycle ended (Duke ED) before I could get any other offers (Vandy?).

incompetentia

Postby incompetentia » Tue Mar 29, 2011 2:56 pm

As a 3.5x splitter I have received zero money; however, I have only applied to a few schools.

In:
GULC
NYU

Held:
CLS
Mich - WL (withdrew)

Ding:
Harvard

crit_racer

Postby crit_racer » Tue Mar 29, 2011 2:59 pm

169/3.3. Still waiting on USC (yeah right) and Davis (plz plz plz). Absolutely slaughtered by the Western half of the county, which is (of course) where I want to live...

IN

W&L--30k
Emory--45k
WUSTL--75k
LoyoLA--69k
L&C--?$
Santa Clara--15k tough stip
Seattle--18k tough stip
Denver--60k

WL

Texas
Hastings
UW
Colorado
W&M
UMN
American lol
GW
BU

OUT

BC

splitmuch

Postby splitmuch » Tue Mar 29, 2011 3:02 pm

3.1 178

In
WashU with...you guessed it...84k

WL
UVA
UCLA
GW (ouch)
Cornell (reserve)
NW (hold)
Harvard (Hold- lolz)

Ding
Duke
Mich
Columbia
Chicago
UT
Berkley

Pending
NYU
Penn
ND
GULC
GULC

Ginj

Postby Ginj » Tue Mar 29, 2011 3:06 pm

splitmuch wrote:3.1 178

In

WL
UVA
UCLA
GW (ouch)
Cornell (reserve)
NW (hold)
Harvard (Hold- lolz)

Ding
Duke
Mich
Columbia
Chicago
UT
Berkley

Pending
NYU
Penn
ND
GULC
GULC

Out of curiosity, you have any work experience, split?

Also, when did you apply?

snapdragon

Postby snapdragon » Tue Mar 29, 2011 3:09 pm

I'm not an awesome 170+ splitter, but I believe my cycle illustrates that some "safe" schools for lower splitters are no longer such:

3.1 / 167

IN:

Minnesota w/ $20k
Wake Forest w/ $22k
Brooklyn w/ $31.8k
UNH w/ $33k
UConn (in-state) w/ $20k first year only.
Maryland
W&L w/ $5k
Lewis & Clark w/ $5k
Seattle w/ $17k
Northeastern w/ $8.5k
GW (part time)
Maine
Temple

WL

W&M
Fordham
UIUC

OUT

WUSTL
U Washington
Boston College
GULC PT

My biggest disappointment was the $ at W&L. Last year splitters got more like $10-15k per year.. they were my first choice going into this cycle, so that was not fun. I'm pretty sure now I wouldn't have ended up there anyway, but at the time, I was crushed. I was also surprised at no money from Temple or Maryland. And obviously UIUC and WUSTL are no longer safe homes for 167 splitters. Overall, my cycle was a slight bit worse than I expected, but nothing heart breaking.

Edited to add - most of my apps were sent in late Oct / early Nov. Northeastern was in Dec as was UNH.
Last edited by snapdragon on Tue Mar 29, 2011 3:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

splitmuch

Postby splitmuch » Tue Mar 29, 2011 3:11 pm

Ginj wrote:
splitmuch wrote:3.1 178

In

WL
UVA
UCLA
GW (ouch)
Cornell (reserve)
NW (hold)
Harvard (Hold- lolz)

Ding
Duke
Mich
Columbia
Chicago
UT
Berkley

Pending
NYU
Penn
ND
GULC
GULC

Out of curiosity, you have any work experience, split?

Also, when did you apply?

1 year as a paralegal and late (mid january)- which has probably hurt.

Ginj

Postby Ginj » Tue Mar 29, 2011 3:14 pm

splitmuch wrote:1 year as a paralegal and late (mid january)- which has probably hurt.

Ah. There's the rub.

splitmuch

Postby splitmuch » Tue Mar 29, 2011 3:15 pm

Ginj wrote:
splitmuch wrote:1 year as a paralegal and late (mid january)- which has probably hurt.

Ah. There's the rub.

Yeah kinda sucks but I was a little late deciding but had all my stuff together by mid December. However my recs didn't get in until january.

sanetruth

Postby sanetruth » Tue Mar 29, 2011 3:23 pm

I think when people post their results here they should include when they sent most of their applications out, because the difference between September/December/February makes ALL the difference for splitters. I bet with some date stamps, a lot of what look like inconsistencies here will be explained.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”