2010 Splitters Application Thread

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
agora139

Re: 2010 Splitters Application Thread

Postby agora139 » Thu Feb 17, 2011 11:04 am

whitman wrote:
czelede wrote:
I feel, for the most part, that this cycle has been harsher towards splitters than cycles past. This coming from too much time wasted stalking past years splitter threads, of course :) Most of the time, you have your smattering of "really bad cycles" and "really good cycles" with most people landing in neutral. This year, it seems there are some really bad cycles and some neutral cycles, but that's about it.

The decrease may have just affected the low end of LSAT test takers to begin with.

I'm not an extreme splitter like Adjudicator, but I feel pretty good about my cycle (3.49/172): into Penn (very surprised), GULC, Cornell, Texas (thought GPA and OOS would keep me out). WL at UVA, UCLA.

I guess I'm more neutral.

also not an extreme splitter, 3.49/175, but in at michigan with $$ so far, along with vandy, WUSTL ($$$), wake forest ($$$), and unc (chancellor's scholarship invite). i feel like mich + $$ = a good cycle with my numbers!

kch3684

Postby kch3684 » Thu Feb 17, 2011 11:09 am

3.1/170 5yrs WE
In at
W&L $
Richmond
Northeastern
WUSTL $$

Out
UVA
Columbia

Held at Northwestern flying out for interview, boss is submitting extra stuff for me
Waitlisted BU
Haven't heard from W&M so prob waitlist there

Entchen

Postby Entchen » Thu Feb 17, 2011 11:13 am

agora139 wrote:also not an extreme splitter, 3.49/175, but in at michigan with $$ so far, along with vandy, WUSTL ($$$), wake forest ($$$), and unc (chancellor's scholarship invite). i feel like mich + $$ = a good cycle with my numbers!

+1. Yes, I'm a pretty high-shifted splitter (3.5/177), but that's not really any less of a split than, say, a 3.3/170. I'm in at Columbia, Michigan ($$$$), Cornell, Georgetown, Vandy, Wash U ($$), Indiana Bloomington ($$$$), BC, and W&M. Waitlisted at Minnesota, Still waiting on UVA and Duke.

whitman

Postby whitman » Thu Feb 17, 2011 11:53 am

agora139 wrote:
whitman wrote:
czelede wrote:
I feel, for the most part, that this cycle has been harsher towards splitters than cycles past. This coming from too much time wasted stalking past years splitter threads, of course :) Most of the time, you have your smattering of "really bad cycles" and "really good cycles" with most people landing in neutral. This year, it seems there are some really bad cycles and some neutral cycles, but that's about it.

The decrease may have just affected the low end of LSAT test takers to begin with.

I'm not an extreme splitter like Adjudicator, but I feel pretty good about my cycle (3.49/172): into Penn (very surprised), GULC, Cornell, Texas (thought GPA and OOS would keep me out). WL at UVA, UCLA.

I guess I'm more neutral.

also not an extreme splitter, 3.49/175, but in at michigan with $$ so far, along with vandy, WUSTL ($$$), wake forest ($$$), and unc (chancellor's scholarship invite). i feel like mich + $$ = a good cycle with my numbers!

Congrats!

I would have retaken the LSAT if I'd known there was such a potential pay-off for just 3 more points (you probably had other stuff going for you, too, I know). I was lazy studying the first time and lazy by not retaking, even though I was several below my PT average. Damn. NO money or Mich for me it seems.

sanetruth

Postby sanetruth » Thu Feb 17, 2011 11:58 am

ok, so this cycle has been absolutely BRUTAL for splitters.

3.0/175 shut out of T18?

3.1/172 shut out of T18?

3.2/171 shut out of T18?

Michigan ED accepted NO splitters as far as i can see, rolled them ALL over to RD.

UVA, which has been famous for splitter love, threw some bones to people with apps in the first week of September and then dinged the rest.

to make matters worse, while the higher up schools are locking out splitters, lower end schools like W&M and W&L are still yield protecting them.

That leaves GW and WUSTL gobbling up and (as far as WUSTL is concerned) throwing $$$ at the rest.

I'm actually shocked. Last year it was "3.0+/170+, if you ED to a splitter friendly T14 you're in good shape." Then, this year, we accepted that that went to "3.1+/171+...", but barely any such luck!

I'm especially surprised about Michigan. This does not bode well for the future. It seems as though the T18 have essentially locked out anyone with less than a 3.4, regardless of LSAT score, barring very unique cases.

hipstermafia

Postby hipstermafia » Thu Feb 17, 2011 12:12 pm

I don't know if the cycle is as bad for splitters as painted above. Maybe schools are being more cautious than in cycles past, but if so I can see splitters having some waitlist movement in the near future. I only have a mild split (3.4/170) but I am really pleased with my cycle. I spent a lot of time on applications and applied in September, I think those two things helped a lot.

The fact is our gpas are set, we can't go back and re do undergrad. The best thing we can do is score well in the lsat, take full advantage of the games law schools play, and hope for the best.

sanetruth

Postby sanetruth » Thu Feb 17, 2011 12:16 pm

hipstermafia wrote:I don't know if the cycle is as bad for splitters as painted above. Maybe schools are being more cautious than in cycles past, but if so I can see splitters having some waitlist movement in the near future. I only have a mild split (3.4/170) but I am really pleased with my cycle. I spent a lot of time on applications and applied in September, I think those two things helped a lot.

The fact is our gpas are set, we can't go back and re do undergrad. The best thing we can do is score well in the lsat, take full advantage of the games law schools play, and hope for the best.

Well, it's easy for you to take issue with my statement because you don't fall into the category of splitters i'm talking about. As I said about, it seems like anyone with less than a 3.4 is having serious issues. But glad to hear things went well for you.

hipstermafia

Postby hipstermafia » Thu Feb 17, 2011 12:19 pm

technically I have a 3.38 if you want to get picky on details

BeachedBrit

Postby BeachedBrit » Thu Feb 17, 2011 12:21 pm

As far as the around 3.5 GPA crew goes I'm hoping to see a lot of waitlist love for them...

whitman

Postby whitman » Thu Feb 17, 2011 12:23 pm

hipstermafia wrote:I don't know if the cycle is as bad for splitters as painted above. Maybe schools are being more cautious than in cycles past, but if so I can see splitters having some waitlist movement in the near future. I only have a mild split (3.4/170) but I am really pleased with my cycle. I spent a lot of time on applications and applied in September, I think those two things helped a lot.

Into Michigan and UCLA with a 3.38/170? Impressive.

lastch2

Postby lastch2 » Thu Feb 17, 2011 12:55 pm

+1 i think as a splitter it's most important to play the game 100%. throw that early application in and additional essays if applicable. otherwise...well...not so good. :cry:

chrisbru

Postby chrisbru » Thu Feb 17, 2011 1:40 pm

I didn't try any of the T14 with my 2.94/171, but I'm thinking it would have been a waste of money anyway. I'm actually pretty surprised that I was waitlisted at Minnesota, Colorado, AND Illinois.

However, if I was to get shut out of my top two (Minn/CU), a full in-state tuition at Iowa is about the best backup plan I could ask for. But, that's almost solely because I'm considered a resident, and they are required to have a 50% Iowa resident class makeup.

I agree with the sentiment that this cycle has been brutal for splitters, however. Other than WUSTL and GW, schools are focusing much more on GPA than in the past, it seems.

hipstermafia

Postby hipstermafia » Thu Feb 17, 2011 3:14 pm

and don't forget, it's not over until it's OVER!

lawandi

Postby lawandi » Thu Feb 17, 2011 3:20 pm

Last edited by lawandi on Sun Aug 14, 2011 10:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

czelede

Postby czelede » Thu Feb 17, 2011 3:23 pm

Splitter in at Berkeley!!! With a 3.3, I almost didn't apply - changed my mind at the very last minute in December. Completely astounded.

lawandi

Postby lawandi » Thu Feb 17, 2011 3:26 pm

czelede wrote:Splitter in at Berkeley!!! With a 3.3, I almost didn't apply - changed my mind at the very last minute in December. Completely astounded.

WHOA!! Congrats! I'm a UG at Cal and I absolutely love it. Boalt construction should be done soon, too...

PS. I highly recommend taking a class by Kathy Abrams if you go there!

almostfamous

Postby almostfamous » Thu Feb 17, 2011 3:33 pm

3.1/177 here

IN:
GULC
WUSTL (w/ $28K/yr)

OUT:
UVA
Chicago
Vandy (this one kind of surprised me)

WL:
UCLA

Still waiting on...
Held at Columbia
Deferred from ED at Mich

I was deferred EA at Cornell and withdrew my application

kch3684

Postby kch3684 » Thu Feb 17, 2011 3:40 pm

I'm not good at playing the game...didn't do a lot of extra essays/personalizing each application although I did submit in Oct/Nov. So while my cycle has been ok it probably could have been better if I put more into it. I hate writing about myself so each additional essay was painful to get through - plus I was hoping the time out of school would mitigate the GPA but so far I don't think it has.

bdubs

Postby bdubs » Thu Feb 17, 2011 3:40 pm

czelede wrote:Splitter in at Berkeley!!! With a 3.3, I almost didn't apply - changed my mind at the very last minute in December. Completely astounded.

Congrats cze! Is Penn still a top choice, or will this change things?

hipstermafia

Postby hipstermafia » Thu Feb 17, 2011 3:43 pm

awesome! congrats!!!

czelede

Postby czelede » Thu Feb 17, 2011 4:01 pm

bdubs wrote:

Thanks!

It definitely complicates things quite a bit!

Penn is my first love, and I love the East Coast, but...I have a dog, and it forces me to be outside for way more than humanly comfortable in subzero weather. So that, plus the idea of living 20 minutes away (I would rather live in CC than UC if I moved to Philadelphia) and having to make that trek in the snow and ice really dampens my Penn love, haha. At least when there's the possibility of never dipping below freezing. My parents think I'm ridiculous for even letting weather play into this decision, but all things aside I don't know if my love of Penn's campus is enough to outweigh the comfort of California winters. I would be okay practicing on either coast and my family/friends are mostly in the midwest (have an even smattering in both Cali and NY/DC). And I will be out of the country for both ASWs, so that makes my life not easier in the least haha.

I think once I come down from my disbelief at being accepted things will be a little easier to mull over, I guess. I am definitely a little swayed by the sheer reach-ness that Berkeley was for me, so having it as an option at all is too tempting to make a decision at the moment.

bdubs

Postby bdubs » Thu Feb 17, 2011 4:06 pm

czelede wrote:
bdubs wrote:

Thanks!

Penn is my first love, and I love the East Coast, but...I have a dog, and it forces me to be outside for way more than humanly comfortable in subzero weather. So that, plus the idea of living 20 minutes away (I would rather live in CC than UC if I moved to Philadelphia) and having to make that trek in the snow and ice really dampens my Penn love, haha. At least when there's the possibility of never dipping below freezing. My parents think I'm ridiculous for even letting weather play into this decision, but all things aside I don't know if my love of Penn's campus is enough to outweigh the comfort of California winters. I would be okay practicing on either coast and my family/friends are mostly in the midwest (have an even smattering in both Cali and NY/DC). And I will be out of the country for both ASWs, so that makes my life not easier in the least haha.

I think once I come down from my disbelief at being accepted things will be a little easier to mull over, I guess. I am definitely a little swayed by the sheer reach-ness that Berkeley was for me, so having it as an option at all is too tempting to make a decision at the moment.

Haha that is my concern with going to school in Chicago. I think I'm ready to suck it up though, and my dog couldn't care less if it was 75 and sunny or 30 and snowing.

czelede

Postby czelede » Thu Feb 17, 2011 6:00 pm

bdubs wrote:
czelede wrote:
bdubs wrote:

Thanks!

Haha that is my concern with going to school in Chicago. I think I'm ready to suck it up though, and my dog couldn't care less if it was 75 and sunny or 30 and snowing.

Haha yeah, my dog is an arctic breed so she's happy to frolic in the snow. Me not so much. But you know, as brutal as Chicago winters are, the snow clearing system is top-notch - seriously, there was a documentary on it and they have an entire control room dedicated to making sure roads are clean as soon as possible (I live in Indianapolis right now and am constantly grumbling about how everything shuts down in the winter). I'm actually from Chicago originally and if I hadn't spent 23 years of my life in the midwest I would definitely be happy to stay there. It's a lovely city.

TatteredDignity

Postby TatteredDignity » Thu Feb 17, 2011 7:14 pm

In at WUSTL with a 175/2.5, although I guess that seems about right for the cycle so far.

FuManChusco

Postby FuManChusco » Thu Feb 17, 2011 8:02 pm

0LNewbie wrote:In at WUSTL with a 175/2.5, although I guess that seems about right for the cycle so far.

Yeah, in today with a 170/2.5 and a late January app.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”