2010 Splitters Application Thread

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
CanadianWolf
Posts: 10439
Joined: Wed Mar 24, 2010 4:54 pm

Re: 2010 Splitters Application Thread

Postby CanadianWolf » Wed Oct 13, 2010 10:06 am

Within the past few days Princeton Review revealed their categorized law school rankings for 2011. The most interesting ranking was for job prospects/career (Best Career Prospects) placement in which Penn was first, followed by Northwestern. Harvard was fifth. The list only contained the top 5 law schools per category. This is relevant to this thread because Northwestern University is splitter friendly. (If I recall correctly, Northwestern was number one (1) last year.)

CanadianWolf
Posts: 10439
Joined: Wed Mar 24, 2010 4:54 pm

Re: 2010 Splitters Application Thread

Postby CanadianWolf » Wed Oct 13, 2010 10:17 am

@Entchen: I had a student with similiar numbers to yours (178 LSAT & approx. 3.5 GPA-URM) tell me yesterday that Michigan was their first choice law school. Columbia & Northwestern are the only others being considered at this stage.

User avatar
Entchen
Posts: 722
Joined: Mon Mar 15, 2010 6:42 pm

Re: 2010 Splitters Application Thread

Postby Entchen » Wed Oct 13, 2010 10:19 am

CanadianWolf wrote:@Entchen: I had a student with similiar numbers to yours (178 LSAT & approx. 3.5 GPA-URM) tell me yesterday that Michigan was their first choice law school. Columbia & Northwestern are the only others being considered at this stage.


Probably because Michigan is wonderful. Sigh.

Wasn't me, though, since I am not considering Columbia OR Northwestern. If I don't get into Mich, I'll probably go to Cornell. Yay cold schools with good hockey teams in college towns!

User avatar
Cmoss
Posts: 100
Joined: Mon Sep 27, 2010 11:21 pm

Re: 2010 Splitters Application Thread

Postby Cmoss » Wed Oct 13, 2010 10:33 am

yay splitters for life!

sra_sundance
Posts: 15
Joined: Thu Oct 29, 2009 1:15 pm

Re: 2010 Splitters Application Thread

Postby sra_sundance » Wed Oct 13, 2010 10:38 am

no score yet...thinking there is a dec retake in my future, but thought i'd check in here and say hi! and support to those of us sub 3.0 (and the few of us sub 2.5....won't this be fun?!?!)

:)

User avatar
plenipotentiary
Posts: 616
Joined: Fri Sep 17, 2010 11:13 pm

Re: 2010 Splitters Application Thread

Postby plenipotentiary » Wed Oct 13, 2010 10:51 am

CanadianWolf wrote:Within the past few days Princeton Review revealed their categorized law school rankings for 2011. The most interesting ranking was for job prospects/career (Best Career Prospects) placement in which Penn was first, followed by Northwestern. Harvard was fifth. The list only contained the top 5 law schools per category. This is relevant to this thread because Northwestern University is splitter friendly. (If I recall correctly, Northwestern was number one (1) last year.)


The list has 10 schools, and Vandy comes before Harvard, so I am a bit skeptical. I'd like to know their methodology.

http://www.princetonreview.com/schoolli ... =684&RDN=1

CanadianWolf
Posts: 10439
Joined: Wed Mar 24, 2010 4:54 pm

Re: 2010 Splitters Application Thread

Postby CanadianWolf » Wed Oct 13, 2010 11:15 am

Why not list the ten law schools for those of us who are not subscribers. The list I read was a tickler published on AOL (I think) to encourage readers to buy a subscription. I only have the Top 5 Best Career Prospects available to me for the last four years:

2011: Penn, Northwestern, NYU, Vanderbilt & Harvard

2010: Northwestern, Penn, Michigan, Chicago & Stanford

2009: Michigan, Northwestern, Virginia, Harvard & Boston College

2008: Northwestern, Michigan, Chicago, Harvard & Boston College
Last edited by CanadianWolf on Wed Oct 13, 2010 11:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
omninode
Posts: 405
Joined: Tue Oct 12, 2010 2:09 pm

Re: 2010 Splitters Application Thread

Postby omninode » Wed Oct 13, 2010 11:17 am

3.36 ugpa, mediocre softs, expecting 170-174 for Rocktober based on practice scores and my gut feeling on the real test (strangely felt easier than PTs). Desperately want Michigan, even at sticker price. Obviously hoping for an outstanding LSAT score to get me some free money.

btw, even if I could get into HYS I would still prefer Michigan. It is my ideal university campus. I love everything about it. Besides, I want to live and work in the midwest, so not too worried about possible regional limitations.

If Michigan rejects me... Really I would be happy at just about any Top 30 school, but will probably aim for Illinois.

User avatar
omninode
Posts: 405
Joined: Tue Oct 12, 2010 2:09 pm

Re: 2010 Splitters Application Thread

Postby omninode » Wed Oct 13, 2010 11:22 am

CanadianWolf wrote:Why not list the ten law schools for those of us who are not subscribers. The list I read was a tickler published on AOL (I think) to encourage readers to buy a subscription.

Registration to Princeton Review website is free, but here's the list anyway:

1. Pennsylvania
2. Northwestern
3. NYU
4. Vanderbilt
5. Harvard
6. Chicago
7. Virginia
8. Michigan
9. Boston College
10. Boston University

czelede
Posts: 689
Joined: Tue Jun 08, 2010 1:54 pm

Re: 2010 Splitters Application Thread

Postby czelede » Wed Oct 13, 2010 12:56 pm

3.3/177 here, thinking of ED-ing Penn but blanketing the entire T-14 as well, as most splitters do :)

User avatar
odoylerules
Posts: 43
Joined: Fri Jul 02, 2010 9:34 am

Re: 2010 Splitters Application Thread

Postby odoylerules » Thu Oct 14, 2010 3:37 am

So what schools are good for scholarship negotiating purposes? Illinois often gives money out to splitters, so does WUSTL, but what schools are open for negotiations? Splitters get put on lots of waitlists, but if/when we get off, I know we're supposed to try and negotiate somehow. I've heard that BU/BC are difficult and tend not to budge, but that Georgetown is willing to wheel and deal a little. Anyone know anything about this?

lulu12
Posts: 30
Joined: Tue Jan 05, 2010 8:49 pm

Re: 2010 Splitters Application Thread

Postby lulu12 » Sun Oct 17, 2010 2:54 am

Bbbbbbbbb.
Last edited by lulu12 on Thu Nov 04, 2010 5:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
CryingMonkey
Posts: 150
Joined: Tue May 04, 2010 1:22 pm

Re: 2010 Splitters Application Thread

Postby CryingMonkey » Mon Oct 18, 2010 11:05 am

3.3/179 here...also blanketing t-14, minus Penn because I have no desire to go there whatsoever. Didn't ED anywhere. I'm also pretty high on Michigan - I really like the campus and the environment there.

User avatar
Entchen
Posts: 722
Joined: Mon Mar 15, 2010 6:42 pm

Re: 2010 Splitters Application Thread

Postby Entchen » Mon Oct 18, 2010 11:17 am

Guys I still haven't gotten into law school. It's been a WHOLE WEEK since I sent out my first app. This is unacceptable. :evil:

User avatar
omninode
Posts: 405
Joined: Tue Oct 12, 2010 2:09 pm

Re: 2010 Splitters Application Thread

Postby omninode » Mon Oct 18, 2010 5:43 pm

Entchen wrote:Guys I still haven't gotten into law school. It's been a WHOLE WEEK since I sent out my first app. This is unacceptable. :evil:

That's rough, dude. Time to think about a career change.

User avatar
2014
Posts: 5831
Joined: Sat Jun 05, 2010 3:53 pm

Re: 2010 Splitters Application Thread

Postby 2014 » Mon Oct 18, 2010 9:03 pm

omninode wrote:3.36 ugpa, mediocre softs, expecting 170-174 for Rocktober based on practice scores and my gut feeling on the real test (strangely felt easier than PTs). Desperately want Michigan, even at sticker price. Obviously hoping for an outstanding LSAT score to get me some free money.

btw, even if I could get into HYS I would still prefer Michigan. It is my ideal university campus. I love everything about it. Besides, I want to live and work in the midwest, so not too worried about possible regional limitations.

If Michigan rejects me... Really I would be happy at just about any Top 30 school, but will probably aim for Illinois.

3.37 expecting the same score range as you from October, and thinking Michigan would be a really awesome place to spend 3 years :P

Also considering U.Va, Cornell, Vandy, or somewhere lower with money.

Not opposed to retaking and shooting for 175+ either, I'm pretty certain I could get there.

User avatar
kalede
Posts: 159
Joined: Mon Apr 20, 2009 4:59 am

Re: 2010 Splitters Application Thread

Postby kalede » Mon Oct 18, 2010 9:20 pm

I'm 3.38/166, though after actually studying for the Oct test, I'm thinking that I'll probably end up with a 170+. I'm going to aim for schools in the 15-30 range and hope for some decent money. About the only school I wouldn't mind paying sticker price for out of those is Texas, since I'd have in-state tuition.

User avatar
TCScrutinizer
Posts: 497
Joined: Sun Sep 13, 2009 11:01 pm

Re: 2010 Splitters Application Thread

Postby TCScrutinizer » Mon Oct 18, 2010 9:59 pm

CGI Fridays wrote:How low does gpa have to be to join the club?


Bottom quartile GPA, top quartile LSAT at your target school is a good rule of thumb.

escapefrom
Posts: 35
Joined: Sat Jul 25, 2009 8:57 am

Re: 2010 Splitters Application Thread

Postby escapefrom » Wed Oct 20, 2010 5:08 pm

3.07/163 here. My boyfriend says if I don't get into any law schools, he's gonna make me take the LSAT again. Twice is enough for me.

User avatar
Cmoss
Posts: 100
Joined: Mon Sep 27, 2010 11:21 pm

Re: 2010 Splitters Application Thread

Postby Cmoss » Thu Oct 21, 2010 11:03 am

escapefrom wrote:3.07/163 here. My boyfriend says if I don't get into any law schools, he's gonna make me take the LSAT again. Twice is enough for me.


time to find a new boyfriend if he is dictating you already

User avatar
omninode
Posts: 405
Joined: Tue Oct 12, 2010 2:09 pm

Re: 2010 Splitters Application Thread

Postby omninode » Thu Oct 21, 2010 11:27 am

Cmoss wrote:
escapefrom wrote:3.07/163 here. My boyfriend says if I don't get into any law schools, he's gonna make me take the LSAT again. Twice is enough for me.


time to find a new boyfriend if he is dictating you already

Seriously. If you don't want to take it again, don't do it. Your score probably will not improve if you are not self-motivated. You will be wasting your time (and money).

2011Law
Posts: 822
Joined: Wed Jun 30, 2010 3:40 pm

Re: 2010 Splitters Application Thread

Postby 2011Law » Thu Oct 21, 2010 11:41 am

CGI Fridays wrote:How low does gpa have to be to join the club?


You are a splitter at a school if your gpa is below the 25th and lsat above the 75th.

Sandro
Posts: 2526
Joined: Sat Jul 18, 2009 12:12 am

Re: 2010 Splitters Application Thread

Postby Sandro » Fri Oct 22, 2010 12:15 am

I wish I could be one of those "splitters" who has a 3.5 or something... fake splitters imo :roll:

User avatar
beachbum
Posts: 2766
Joined: Tue Jun 29, 2010 9:35 pm

Re: 2010 Splitters Application Thread

Postby beachbum » Fri Oct 22, 2010 1:05 am

Sandro777 wrote:I wish I could be one of those "splitters" who has a 3.5 or something... fake splitters imo :roll:


It's all relative to the range of schools you're looking at, which is (mostly) dependent upon your LSAT. For instance, a 172/3.5 is a splitter; a 162/3.5 is probably not. I'm 170/3.4 and, since my GPA is weak for the schools I'm looking at (~T20), I consider myself a splitter.

Sandro
Posts: 2526
Joined: Sat Jul 18, 2009 12:12 am

Re: 2010 Splitters Application Thread

Postby Sandro » Fri Oct 22, 2010 1:05 pm

I know I was Jk.




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Houzy, MSNbot Media, smashbash, xnsch and 5 guests