2010 Splitters Application Thread

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
DieAntwoord

Re: 2010 Splitters Application Thread

Postby DieAntwoord » Wed Dec 15, 2010 11:26 am

It has been dead for awhile, I hope it is because everyone is celebrating acceptances and not because of defenestration.

kjadkins

Postby kjadkins » Wed Dec 15, 2010 11:30 am

DieAntwoord wrote:It has been dead for awhile, I hope it is because everyone is celebrating acceptances and not because of defenestration.

You read my mind... I was about to post. Haha.

IN at 'Bama! $24k/year :D

DieAntwoord

Postby DieAntwoord » Wed Dec 15, 2010 11:32 am

kjadkins wrote:
DieAntwoord wrote:It has been dead for awhile, I hope it is because everyone is celebrating acceptances and not because of defenestration.

You read my mind... I was about to post. Haha.

IN at 'Bama! $24k/year :D

That is a full ride pretty much right?

Did you get some more reaches out?

kjadkins

Postby kjadkins » Wed Dec 15, 2010 11:36 am

DieAntwoord wrote:That is a full ride pretty much right?

It's almost full tuition. I was kind of shocked.

I already got a fee waiver from WUSTL, so I sent that one off the other day. Just got out of finals yesterday so I'm gonna veg for a day or two and then get some more out, I'm thinking about Duke Cornell and maybe Penn. I emailed Monday asking for fee waivers but only WUSTL got back to me so far, so I'm gonna give it a couple of days.

DieAntwoord

Postby DieAntwoord » Wed Dec 15, 2010 11:44 am

kjadkins wrote:
DieAntwoord wrote:That is a full ride pretty much right?

It's almost full tuition. I was kind of shocked.

I already got a fee waiver from WUSTL, so I sent that one off the other day. Just got out of finals yesterday so I'm gonna veg for a day or two and then get some more out, I'm thinking about Duke Cornell and maybe Penn. I emailed Monday asking for fee waivers but only WUSTL got back to me so far, so I'm gonna give it a couple of days.

I got one from Duke but not Penn or cornell. Maybe they will give you one though. Dont forget to apply to Michigan and CCN.

chrisbru

Postby chrisbru » Wed Dec 15, 2010 3:49 pm

My current splitter status:

St. Thomas (Minneapolis) - Accepted, full ride
DePaul - Accepted, $18k a year
Iowa - Accepted, waiting to hear back on scholarship (This week, I hope, but it's unlikely I'll get one)
WUSTL - Accepted

Still waiting to hear from:
CU
Minnesota
Illinois
Kansas
UNL
William Mitchell

Sandro

Postby Sandro » Wed Dec 15, 2010 3:59 pm

How are you guys balancing applying to schools vs your likelihood of getting in / attendance?

Looking at last years LSN and not seeing anyone with my GPA admitted is kind of tough to justify throwing ~$70 out there. Especially when people with maybe a point higher on LSAT and .1 higher GPA get waitlisted.

I've got some apps (Iowa, Wisconsin, Alabama) that LSP gives me a Consider but LSN shows nobody getting in with my numbers/1 or 2 points higher lsat last year. These arent schools I'm dead set on attending but would like to consider them...

Entchen

Postby Entchen » Wed Dec 15, 2010 4:07 pm

So far, I'm in at W&M ($$), BC, WashU, Vandy, Georgetown, and Cornell (yay!)

Still waiting on Indiana, Michigan, Duke, UVA (ha), Columbia, and Minnesota, but at this point I really only care about Michigan. Please be nice to splitterent, Dean Z!?
Last edited by Entchen on Wed Dec 15, 2010 4:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

athenian

Postby athenian » Wed Dec 15, 2010 4:07 pm

169, 2.93

In
WUSTL

Under review
UGA (over two weeks)
BC (12/7)
Minn (12/14)

Ready for review
BU
Illinois
Indiana
Oregon
ASU
Emory

Still processing
Davis
UW

Applying soon
Hastings
Georgia State (pending on decision from UGA)

logistikon

Postby logistikon » Wed Dec 15, 2010 4:08 pm

Sandro777 wrote:How are you guys balancing applying to schools vs your likelihood of getting in / attendance?

Looking at last years LSN and not seeing anyone with my GPA admitted is kind of tough to justify throwing ~$70 out there. Especially when people with maybe a point higher on LSAT and .1 higher GPA get waitlisted.

I've got some apps (Iowa, Wisconsin, Alabama) that LSP gives me a Consider but LSN shows nobody getting in with my numbers/1 or 2 points higher lsat last year. These arent schools I'm dead set on attending but would like to consider them...

if you are a consider on LSP then 25-49% are at/below your index # so.....

chrisbru

Postby chrisbru » Wed Dec 15, 2010 4:10 pm

Sandro777 wrote:How are you guys balancing applying to schools vs your likelihood of getting in / attendance?

I ONLY applied to schools I was offered a fee waiver to. The schools I wanted to apply to that didn't offer me fee waivers, I emailed and asked for one. All except Denver gave me one when I asked.

As for my breakdown, I applied to 2 "consider" (1 was WUSTL, which accepted me last week.), 2 "Strong considers" (1 being Iowa, accepted), and 7 "Admits". I might have been a little conservative on my applying to reach schools, but I applied to every school that I would consider going to except U Denver (which I'd never pick over CU anyway) and Northwestern (which I didn't feel was worth a $100 application fee for a almost certain rejection letter.)

czelede

Postby czelede » Wed Dec 15, 2010 4:15 pm

I honestly just blanketed the T14 minus HYS and M. I got fee waivers from Columbia, UVA, and Northwestern only (would not have applied to UVA otherwise). Requested waivers from Georgetown and Cornell (but was turned down). I ended up spending a lot of money but hey, you only apply once, and splitters have such unpredictable cycles anyways so you might as well cast that net out wide.

Edit: And I definitely feel you on the LSN obsessing, but the way I see it is we have such a small sample size to begin with when you're that close you might as well take the chance and see what happens, even if it seems unlikely. The potential gain is huge, even if the chance of it isn't.
Last edited by czelede on Wed Dec 15, 2010 4:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sandro

Postby Sandro » Wed Dec 15, 2010 4:16 pm

chrisbru wrote:

I ONLY applied to schools I was offered a fee waiver to. The schools I wanted to apply to that didn't offer me fee waivers, I emailed and asked for one. All except Denver gave me one when I asked.

As for my breakdown, I applied to 2 "consider" (1 was WUSTL, which accepted me last week.), 2 "Strong considers" (1 being Iowa, accepted), and 7 "Admits". I might have been a little conservative on my applying to reach schools, but I applied to every school that I would consider going to except U Denver (which I'd never pick over CU anyway) and Northwestern (which I didn't feel was worth a $100 application fee for a almost certain rejection letter.)

I guess I shouldn't be applying to schools I wouldn't actually go to given then decision. I just dont want to limit myself to a few schools. I did this when applying to UG even though I could have gone to much better schools with my ACT (29) I ended up at my in state school that quite frankly, sucks.

athenian

Postby athenian » Wed Dec 15, 2010 4:25 pm

Cash is tight for me, so I sent aps to the schools that gave me fee waivers (Indiana and WashU). I only applied to schools that I realistically wanted to go to. Even with a fee waiver, you're still throwing away $12 bucks by applying to a school you wouldn't want to attend even if you got in.

Once I got in at WUSTL, I decided not to apply to Iowa or Wisconsin since I was already in at a Midwestern school with better job prospects. If I get into UGA, I'm not going to bother with an app to Georgia State. I know I'm later in the game than some people, but that's mainly because I've had to scrape together the money to pay for each application.

Sandro

Postby Sandro » Wed Dec 15, 2010 4:27 pm

athenian wrote:

Cash is tight for me, so I sent aps to the schools that gave me fee waivers (Indiana and WashU). I only applied to schools that I realistically wanted to go to. Even with a fee waiver, you're still throwing away $12 bucks by applying to a school you wouldn't want to attend even if you got in.

Once I got in at WUSTL, I decided not to apply to Iowa or Wisconsin since I was already in at a Midwestern school with better job prospects. If I get into UGA, I'm not going to bother with an app to Georgia State. I know I'm later in the game than some people, but that's mainly because I've had to scrape together the money to pay for each application.

UGA is the only school I sent an app to that I would need a couple more points on my retake to be competitive. If I can just get 2 more right than Oct and a -14 curve comes down a -18 should yield a 167 and with my 2.9x I would atleast have a shot. with 164 right now im screwed, In state too.

chrisbru

Postby chrisbru » Wed Dec 15, 2010 4:29 pm

Sandro777 wrote:I guess I shouldn't be applying to schools I wouldn't actually go to given then decision. I just dont want to limit myself to a few schools. I did this when applying to UG even though I could have gone to much better schools with my ACT (29) I ended up at my in state school that quite frankly, sucks.

I dislike this sentiment. I turned down Notre Dame for my state school for undergrad, because my state school offered me a full ride and Notre Dame is expensive. I don't even have a single regret... I graduated May 7th, moved to Seattle, started my well-paid, "exciting" job (this has turned out to not be so, but because I hate finance not because it's a bad job) on May 21st, and am currently debt free and happy. I can't see any benefit I would have gained by going to Notre Dame... Plus I had a freaking blast in undergrad.

Now, for law school, on the other hand, is completely different. Just to clarify.

Lurkster

Postby Lurkster » Wed Dec 15, 2010 4:31 pm

Best of luck from a casualty of the splitter bloodbath from last cycle. I may take one shot at GULC ED this cycle, otherwise I'm all in for a full round of apps during the next.

czelede

Postby czelede » Wed Dec 15, 2010 4:34 pm

Lurkster wrote:Best of luck from a casualty of the splitter bloodbath from last cycle. I may take one shot at GULC ED this cycle, otherwise I'm all in for a full round of apps during the next.

This makes me nervous (the bloodbath part) given your LSAT. Did you ED anywhere last cycle?

Sandro

Postby Sandro » Wed Dec 15, 2010 4:34 pm

chrisbru wrote:
Sandro777 wrote:I guess I shouldn't be applying to schools I wouldn't actually go to given then decision. I just dont want to limit myself to a few schools. I did this when applying to UG even though I could have gone to much better schools with my ACT (29) I ended up at my in state school that quite frankly, sucks.

I dislike this sentiment. I turned down Notre Dame for my state school for undergrad, because my state school offered me a full ride and Notre Dame is expensive. I don't even have a single regret... I graduated May 7th, moved to Seattle, started my well-paid, "exciting" job (this has turned out to not be so, but because I hate finance not because it's a bad job) on May 21st, and am currently debt free and happy. I can't see any benefit I would have gained by going to Notre Dame... Plus I had a freaking blast in undergrad.

Now, for law school, on the other hand, is completely different. Just to clarify.

I had a blast in college, dont get me wrong. In fact, too much fun. I don't "regret" going to my in state school but I'm saying the school wasn't the best I could go to. In Florida UF is considered Harvard of the South, my school ... not so much.

chrisbru

Postby chrisbru » Wed Dec 15, 2010 4:36 pm

Sandro777 wrote:
I had a blast in college, dont get me wrong. In fact, too much fun. I don't "regret" going to my in state school but I'm saying the school wasn't the best I could go to. In Florida UF is considered Harvard of the South, my school ... not so much.

What would you have gained by going to UF instead of your school?

athenian

Postby athenian » Wed Dec 15, 2010 4:41 pm

chrisbru wrote:
Sandro777 wrote:

A mullet and a pair of jean shorts.

Lurkster

Postby Lurkster » Wed Dec 15, 2010 4:48 pm

czelede wrote:
Lurkster wrote:Best of luck from a casualty of the splitter bloodbath from last cycle. I may take one shot at GULC ED this cycle, otherwise I'm all in for a full round of apps during the next.

This makes me nervous (the bloodbath part) given your LSAT. Did you ED anywhere last cycle?

Don't get too nervous :) I ED'd to Penn, which isn't generally friendly toward splitters. I decided to give it a shot after seeing a 2.9/176 and a 3.1/176 accepted during previous cycles. The lowest non URM GPA showing as accepted on LSN from last cycle was 3.2, so perhaps they raised their GPA cutoff a little bit.

My apps weren't as strong as they could have been. I didn't write a GPA addendum, I was between jobs at the time, and I probably could have done a better job of connecting the dots for the adcoms on my PS. I ended up being deferred there, and cut from the waitlist during the summer. I interviewed with a GULC alumnus, was recommended for acceptance, got placed on the preferred waitlist and was cut in late july. Rejected everywhere else I applied, but they were all t-14, and all of the other apps went in very late.

Sandro

Postby Sandro » Wed Dec 15, 2010 4:52 pm

chrisbru wrote:
Sandro777 wrote:

Thats a pretty hypothetical question isnt it? Why wouldn't I want to attend the state school that dominates the state of Florida compared to a school some people don't even know where its located ?

I get it. You went to a state school and it worked out awesome. Congrats. I personally wish I would have applied to more schools.

chrisbru

Postby chrisbru » Wed Dec 15, 2010 5:01 pm

Sandro777 wrote:
Thats a pretty hypothetical question isnt it? Why wouldn't I want to attend the state school that dominates the state of Florida compared to a school some people don't even know where its located ?

I get it. You went to a state school and it worked out awesome. Congrats. I personally wish I would have applied to more schools.

Definitely not trying to brag, man. Just wanted to say that it's not really worth thinking about... No regrets, ya know? It's not like it would help on your law apps, and it does no good worrying about wishing you applied more places. Love the life you live, eh?

Sandro

Postby Sandro » Wed Dec 15, 2010 5:08 pm

chrisbru wrote:
Sandro777 wrote:

Definitely not trying to brag, man. Just wanted to say that it's not really worth thinking about... No regrets, ya know? It's not like it would help on your law apps, and it does no good worrying about wishing you applied more places. Love the life you live, eh?

I agree. Although I don't think that saying things like "I wish I would have applied to more schools" or "I wish I would have gone to class my first two years of college" is a bad thing - just knowing what I know now. Its like, why would I go to my T3 UG if I could have gone to my state's T1 UG for the same price? I was young and naive lol.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”