2010 Splitters Application Thread Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
whitman

Silver

Re: 2010 Splitters Application Thread

Post by whitman » Wed Apr 20, 2011 4:39 pm

chrisbru wrote:
FiveSermon wrote: You mad brah?

Anyways I'm far from being the douchiest person on TLS. I'm not even above average on the douchy scale for TLS.

TITCR.

You two are lucky some of the other TLS'ers aren't a part of this thread. You'd get torn apart.
Stop. You're giving me a chubby.

nihilism is key

Bronze

Post by nihilism is key » Wed Apr 20, 2011 4:42 pm

not to be a buzz kill, but these threads are useful for future applicants (I know i looked at last years and probably a few of the years before that when psyching myself up for applications). so rather than force them to tread through this useless, albeit amusing, feud, can you all discontinue the derailment before the thread is locked. pretty please.

bdubs

Gold

Post by bdubs » Wed Apr 20, 2011 4:47 pm

nihilism is key wrote:not to be a buzz kill, but these threads are useful for future applicants (I know i looked at last years and probably a few of the years before that when psyching myself up for applications). so rather than force them to tread through this useless, albeit amusing, feud, can you all discontinue the derailment before the thread is locked. pretty please.
Seconded...

Gold

Post by 094320 » Wed Apr 20, 2011 4:52 pm

edgarfigaro

Bronze

Post by edgarfigaro » Wed Apr 20, 2011 5:02 pm

Back on topic: my cycle is over.
172, 2.85 LSGPA, 3+ years WE, below avg softs

Admits: WUSTL(attending) and Wake Forest with money, Maryland, Houston
Rejections: Northwestern, UVA, Michigan, BU, Gtown
WL: Duke, Emory, W&L, W&M
Apparently using my app for toilet paper: Columbia

No surprises really...only regrets were not taking LSAT in June and not biting the bullet and applying ED to Northwestern. Probably could have applied to some more schools, but can't think of any off the top of my head that I definitely would have been interested in AND were legitimate targets.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

chrisbru

Gold

Post by chrisbru » Wed Apr 20, 2011 5:33 pm

edgarfigaro wrote:Back on topic: my cycle is over.
172, 2.85 LSGPA, 3+ years WE, below avg softs

Admits: WUSTL(attending) and Wake Forest with money, Maryland, Houston
Rejections: Northwestern, UVA, Michigan, BU, Gtown
WL: Duke, Emory, W&L, W&M
Apparently using my app for toilet paper: Columbia

No surprises really...only regrets were not taking LSAT in June and not biting the bullet and applying ED to Northwestern. Probably could have applied to some more schools, but can't think of any off the top of my head that I definitely would have been interested in AND were legitimate targets.
Congrats on WUSTL, that's a great school, especially if you want to stay in the midwest!

Patriot1208

Platinum

Post by Patriot1208 » Wed Apr 20, 2011 7:09 pm

chrisbru wrote:

Anyways I'm far from being the douchiest person on TLS. I'm not even above average on the douchy scale for TLS.

TITCR.

You two are lucky some of the other TLS'ers aren't a part of this thread. You'd get torn apart.
I like to believe i'm in the 75th percentile of douchness.

FiveSermon

Gold

Post by FiveSermon » Wed Apr 20, 2011 10:06 pm

Patriot1208 wrote:
chrisbru wrote:

TITCR.

I have to rank you around 60th percentile. You have the douchiness but you lack the raging dickhead mode. Polite douchebags are limited.

Patriot1208

Platinum

Post by Patriot1208 » Thu Apr 21, 2011 8:13 am

FiveSermon wrote:
Patriot1208 wrote:
chrisbru wrote:

TITCR.

I have to rank you around 60th percentile. You have the douchiness but you lack the raging dickhead mode. Polite douchebags are limited.
*Sigh*

Right around median, story of my life.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

splitmuch

Silver

Post by splitmuch » Thu Apr 21, 2011 12:15 pm

Cycle Over, WL from Harvard. And in true splitter fashion I can say I'm the lowest non URM WL by over 3 tenths of a grade point.

bdubs

Gold

Post by bdubs » Thu Apr 21, 2011 12:34 pm

splitmuch wrote:Cycle Over, WL from Harvard. And in true splitter fashion I can say I'm the lowest non URM WL by over 3 tenths of a grade point.
Congrats. Now you are eligible to transfer to Harvard after 1L year, provided you rock your exams :-)

splitmuch

Silver

Post by splitmuch » Thu Apr 21, 2011 12:37 pm

bdubs wrote:
splitmuch wrote:Cycle Over, WL from Harvard. And in true splitter fashion I can say I'm the lowest non URM WL by over 3 tenths of a grade point.
Congrats. Now you are eligible to transfer to Harvard after 1L year, provided you rock your exams :-)

Haha, just looked at your profile and saw youre looking at JDMBA programs, have you decided where you'll be? Im going to NU.

bdubs

Gold

Post by bdubs » Thu Apr 21, 2011 12:40 pm

splitmuch wrote:
bdubs wrote:

Haha, just looked at your profile and saw youre looking at JDMBA programs, have you decided where you'll be? Im going to NU.
I'm torn between NYU JD and Northwestern JD/MBA. I have until May 2 to make up my mind.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

splitmuch

Silver

Post by splitmuch » Thu Apr 21, 2011 1:54 pm

bdubs wrote:
splitmuch wrote:
bdubs wrote:

I'm torn between NYU JD and Northwestern JD/MBA. I have until May 2 to make up my mind.
Two great options. My unsolicited comment is if you want to do work where the MBA will be beneficial, the prestige difference between the NYU and NU JDs isn't worth giving up the NU JD and Kellog MBA.

bdubs

Gold

Post by bdubs » Thu Apr 21, 2011 2:05 pm

splitmuch wrote:
bdubs wrote:I'm torn between NYU JD and Northwestern JD/MBA. I have until May 2 to make up my mind.
Two great options. My unsolicited comment is if you want to do work where the MBA will be beneficial, the prestige difference between the NYU and NU JDs isn't worth giving up the NU JD and Kellog MBA.
Yeah, my primary career goals are more law oriented (not transactional). The MBA would be beneficial, but it's not a deal maker/breaker. I'm still collecting feedback from various sources to help me make up my mind.

splitmuch

Silver

Post by splitmuch » Thu Apr 21, 2011 2:11 pm

bdubs wrote:
splitmuch wrote:
bdubs wrote:I'm torn between NYU JD and Northwestern JD/MBA. I have until May 2 to make up my mind.
Yeah, my primary career goals are more law oriented (not transactional). The MBA would be beneficial, but it's not a deal maker/breaker. I'm still collecting feedback from various sources to help me make up my mind.

Well, good luck with your choice.

bdubs

Gold

Post by bdubs » Thu Apr 21, 2011 2:16 pm

splitmuch wrote:
bdubs wrote:
splitmuch wrote:

Well, good luck with your choice.
Thanks, Northwestern is a great place and there is a good chance I will see you there next year.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

whitman

Silver

Post by whitman » Thu Apr 21, 2011 7:47 pm

Apologies all around. And there's obviously no feud. I just got bored at work and decided to try out trollin. And the American Psycho quote was a very poor decision. Definitely not a threat. I was trying to facetiously play off of him saying "U mad" by quoting the maddest dude around. Definitely a mistake.

For future applicants: 3.5/172 here. Couple years working. Good undergrad but not gamechangingly good.

In at Penn, Northwestern, Cornell, Georgetown, Vandy, Texas.
Priority Reserve at Duke.
Waitlist at NYU, Michigan, UVA, UCLA, USC.
Dinged at Chicago (applied in January), and Berkeley.

bdubs

Gold

Post by bdubs » Thu Apr 21, 2011 7:51 pm

bdubs wrote: In:
NYU - no money
Penn - no money
Duke JD/MBA- 36,000
Northwestern JD/MBA- 36,000
GULC - no money
USC - 30,000
WUSTL - 84,000
University of Washington - Didn't submit supplemental scholarship essay

WL:
Columbia - Withdrew
Chicago - Withdrew
Michigan - Withdrew
Viriginia - Withdrew
UCLA - Withdrew

Waiting Rejected:
Stanford

3.5 GPA, 172 LSAT (retake with addendum), 5 years of consulting work experience
Submitted most of my applications in late October and a few in early November.
Final update unless I get some action on my scholarship negotiations

dabbadon8

Silver

Post by dabbadon8 » Thu Apr 21, 2011 8:31 pm

Guess I can give my final update, even though I have a profile on LSN.

In:
Mich- 54k attending
Cornell - sticker
Gulc - sticker
Vandy - 50k
WUSTL - 84k
William and Mary - 28k (and instate tuition )
UF - 24k

WL:
Chicago
NYU (received fall grade request but never followed up b/c I decided on mich, received several weeks after)
Penn (wrote only one optional, in retrospect I should have written two)
UVA (wrote why essay)
Duke (wrote why essay and had targeted LOR from an alum)
Northwestern (Held then withdrew, no full time work)

Out:
Columbia
Texas

3.49/173

Cycle went very predictably, I guessed I would end up at mich. Initially my first choice was UVA but I wasn't willing to pass up the chance at money from other schools by doing ED. It ended up being a good decision b/c I like mich especially for a ~40% discount. It does scare me a little bit that if mich hadn't come through I would be looking at cornell or gulc at sticker or maybe vandy. If that were the case I would probably be waiting a year and reapplying ED. All in all I am happy with how my cycle turned out. No tough decisions to make, I had one clear choice which saved me time, stress and money not having to visit and decide between several schools. Good luck to the rest of you splitters.

czelede

Silver

Post by czelede » Wed Apr 27, 2011 10:27 pm

Cycle is officially over, final update time!

- 3.28/177, typical splittersville waitlist cycle.
- Applied relatively early (September for most, Duke/Penn/Berkeley in Nov/Dec)
- ~2 years WE (think big, brand-name international company)
- Did not submit Why X essays to any schools.

WL at (in order of soft rejection)
Virginia
Chicago
Columbia
NYU

Semi-WL at NU? I was held, and then withdrew. But I didn't submit LORs/CPEs or a Why NU and also declined to interview. I think if I had taken the option to interview after the hold I may have been accepted, but it's hard to say so I'll just say hold/semi-WL for that one.

Accepted at (in order of acceptance):
Georgetown
Cornell
UPenn
Berkeley

Coincidentally, I didn't get into any of the schools that gave me fee waivers (Columbia, NU, Virginia). Not expecting to get off any of these WLs, so I think it's safe to assume that the cycle is completely over.

It only took NYU a whopping seven months to put me on the waitlist. That's $80 I want back :O

Edit: don't know if this is relevant but for future applicants I'll put this here - I originally submitted my application to UPenn ED and asked to be released from the ED contract about two weeks later (before they began rendering ED decisions officially).

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

splitmuch

Silver

Post by splitmuch » Wed Apr 27, 2011 11:20 pm

czelede wrote:Cycle is officially over, final update time!

- 3.28/177, typical splittersville waitlist cycle.
- Applied relatively early (September for most, Duke/Penn/Berkeley in Nov/Dec)
- ~2 years WE (think big, brand-name international company)
- Did not submit Why X essays to any schools.

WL at (in order of soft rejection)
Virginia
Chicago
Columbia
NYU

Semi-WL at NU? I was held, and then withdrew. But I didn't submit LORs/CPEs or a Why NU and also declined to interview. I think if I had taken the option to interview after the hold I may have been accepted, but it's hard to say so I'll just say hold/semi-WL for that one.

Accepted at (in order of acceptance):
Georgetown
Cornell
UPenn
Berkeley

Coincidentally, I didn't get into any of the schools that gave me fee waivers (Columbia, NU, Virginia). Not expecting to get off any of these WLs, so I think it's safe to assume that the cycle is completely over.

It only took NYU a whopping seven months to put me on the waitlist. That's $80 I want back :O

Edit: don't know if this is relevant but for future applicants I'll put this here - I originally submitted my application to UPenn ED and asked to be released from the ED contract about two weeks later (before they began rendering ED decisions officially).

I think the hold at NU with a 1 77 ~3.3 and 2 yr WE is only explained by not interviewing/nowhy NU...and congrats on Berkley! They seem to have a high GPA floor so you definitely made something about your app standout. Congrats!

czelede

Silver

Post by czelede » Thu Apr 28, 2011 9:53 am

splitmuch wrote:
czelede wrote:

I think the hold at NU with a 1 77 ~3.3 and 2 yr WE is only explained by not interviewing/nowhy NU...and congrats on Berkley! They seem to have a high GPA floor so you definitely made something about your app standout. Congrats!
Thanks! It was definitely a huge surprise. I guess it just goes to show how unpredictable splitters are.

Kabuo

Silver

Post by Kabuo » Thu Apr 28, 2011 11:12 pm

Updated for Columbia.
Kabuo wrote: In: Wash U (84k)

Out: UVA, Vandy, Columbia

WL: Michigan, UCLA, Northwestern (No w/e, no interview)

Reserve: Cornell

Pending: Alabama
Pretty sure I'll be at Wash U. I don't think I'd take Cornell sticker over Wash U with 84k. If I get Michigan, I think I'll probably go, but from what I hear, that WL isn't going to be moving much.

wiseguy33

Bronze

Post by wiseguy33 » Thu May 05, 2011 5:48 am

Any of you guys holding out hope for WL acceptances? I deposited at a school I'll be happy with, but I can't help hoping I get that call sometime this summer... :roll:

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”