In at Richmond - 2014

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
StillHerexxx

Re: In at Richmond - 2014

Postby StillHerexxx » Thu Feb 10, 2011 6:46 pm

They have no status checker, send tons of useless mailings that get your hopes up, and take forever. All of those issues compounded make them drop on my list daily.

kjadkins

Postby kjadkins » Thu Feb 10, 2011 6:49 pm

Bless wrote:I guess I'm still not seeing the logic. OK, so the mailings are annoying (also still finding it bizarre that people are getting annoyed at an additional piece of paper in the mail). But that dissuades you from attending the school? LMAO. Sounds pretty spiteful and irrational if you ask me. I don't get it.

I wouldn't go as far as to say that it would dissuade me from going, but it certainly doesn't make the school look MORE attractive. It's not environmentally or financially responsible. It's a ton of wasted paper, twelve mailings is honestly really excessive. Even if they were only regular-sized mail (which several of them were bigger), thats over $5 in postage alone for just one person who hasn't even been accepted. If they sent that same set of mailings to 100 people, thats $500... I don't know about you, but to me that's a decent amount of money. A $500 scholarship could pay for half of someones books. I know it's a drop in the bucket when it comes to the total COA of law school in general, but I'm of the opinion that every little bit helps.

I appreciate that they want to keep in touch with us, and it's not like it's going to change my choice, but I think it's more than a little excessive.

NCtoDC

Postby NCtoDC » Thu Feb 10, 2011 6:54 pm

kjadkins wrote:
Bless wrote:I guess I'm still not seeing the logic. OK, so the mailings are annoying (also still finding it bizarre that people are getting annoyed at an additional piece of paper in the mail). But that dissuades you from attending the school? LMAO. Sounds pretty spiteful and irrational if you ask me. I don't get it.

I wouldn't go as far as to say that it would dissuade me from going, but it certainly doesn't make the school look MORE attractive. It's not environmentally or financially responsible. It's a ton of wasted paper, twelve mailings is honestly really excessive. Even if they were only regular-sized mail (which several of them were bigger), thats over $5 in postage alone for just one person who hasn't even been accepted. If they sent that same set of mailings to 100 people, thats $500... I don't know about you, but to me that's a decent amount of money. A $500 scholarship could pay for half of someones books. I know it's a drop in the bucket when it comes to the total COA of law school in general, but I'm of the opinion that every little bit helps.

I appreciate that they want to keep in touch with us, and it's not like it's going to change my choice, but I think it's more than a little excessive.

Very well said :-)

rubaiyatsongs

Postby rubaiyatsongs » Fri Feb 11, 2011 2:27 pm

NCtoDC wrote:
rubaiyatsongs wrote:
aknecht wrote:more mail today! has been three days since the last mailing. Its comical @ this point.

Seriously. I'm withdrawing soon, so I hope my spot and $$ go to someone here who really wants it ... and that I stop getting mail from them.

How did you find out about money? I haven't received anything.

I don't know specifics, they just told me to 'expect a significant scholarship.'

solarae

Postby solarae » Fri Feb 11, 2011 3:09 pm

StillHerexxx wrote:They have no status checker, send tons of useless mailings that get your hopes up, and take forever. All of those issues compounded make them drop on my list daily.

+1

NCtoDC

Postby NCtoDC » Fri Feb 11, 2011 11:26 pm

rubaiyatsongs wrote:
NCtoDC wrote:
rubaiyatsongs wrote:
aknecht wrote:more mail today! has been three days since the last mailing. Its comical @ this point.

Seriously. I'm withdrawing soon, so I hope my spot and $$ go to someone here who really wants it ... and that I stop getting mail from them.

How did you find out about money? I haven't received anything.

I don't know specifics, they just told me to 'expect a significant scholarship.'

Oh, ok. Yeah, Dean Rahman used that exact phrase on the phone with me as well. :-/

hmmhaa77

Postby hmmhaa77 » Tue Feb 22, 2011 1:11 am

So who else is still waiting to hear scholarship info before making a decision?

dt1708

Postby dt1708 » Tue Feb 22, 2011 1:17 am

hmmhaa77 wrote:So who else is still waiting to hear scholarship info before making a decision?

+1

NCtoDC

Postby NCtoDC » Tue Feb 22, 2011 9:58 am

dt1708 wrote:
hmmhaa77 wrote:So who else is still waiting to hear scholarship info before making a decision?

+1

Me.

crysmissmichelle

Postby crysmissmichelle » Tue Feb 22, 2011 11:06 am

me too :-(

solarae

Postby solarae » Tue Feb 22, 2011 1:43 pm

oh, right. i forgot i applied to this school.

aknecht

Postby aknecht » Tue Feb 22, 2011 1:44 pm

solarae wrote:oh, right. i forgot i applied to this school.

liar, they don't let you forget. check your mailbox, you should have 87 fliers, postcards, and other random mailings from them.

solarae

Postby solarae » Tue Feb 22, 2011 1:45 pm

I mentally just accepted it as a normal thing. Richmond is a school that sends me mail, nothing more and nothing less. haha. omg.. they are making me insane.

ausoccer19

Postby ausoccer19 » Tue Feb 22, 2011 1:50 pm

Yeah, I'm seriously getting annoyed as well. I've already been on a visit, and everything they send me they also gave me on my visit. Now every time I open my mailbox and see an envelope, I think, "Maybe its financial info?!?" Then I catch myself and remember that it's likely a random promotion for a clinic or something. Seriously it's torture because I'm only between Richmond and one other school, and clearly I can't make a decision until I know about $$. Please Richmond, hurry up.

crysmissmichelle

Postby crysmissmichelle » Tue Feb 22, 2011 2:07 pm

I'm between Richmond and not going at all :( The Marshall information won't come until April and I haven't heard anything about the base numbers. I think I'm going to call them today. . . .

Mpeterson4

Postby Mpeterson4 » Tue Feb 22, 2011 3:31 pm

I feel like Richmond's major reasoning for sending all the mailings is that is their only way to stay relevant in the mind of admitted students. Many admitted students do not have the same reason to think about Richmond when considering schools when we are thinking about schools who have already given us major scholarship decisions, so they send mailings so we do not forget about them.

I wonder if their reasoning behind waiting so long for scholarship info is in the hope that when they do release the info, students will be so excited to finally hear about the scholarships that they immediately send in deposits without putting the same consideration/critique into Richmond that we have into other schools.

aknecht

Postby aknecht » Tue Feb 22, 2011 3:52 pm

Mpeterson4 wrote:I feel like Richmond's major reasoning for sending all the mailings is that is their only way to stay relevant in the mind of admitted students. Many admitted students do not have the same reason to think about Richmond when considering schools when we are thinking about schools who have already given us major scholarship decisions, so they send mailings so we do not forget about them.

I wonder if their reasoning behind waiting so long for scholarship info is in the hope that when they do release the info, students will be so excited to finally hear about the scholarships that they immediately send in deposits without putting the same consideration/critique into Richmond that we have into other schools.

well the way UR can be relevant is to accept well qualified candidates in a timely manner. I'm right in their target range and went there for undergrad but, outside the mailings and that one rogue e-mail, have heard nothing since mid December. Granted not every school has gotten back to me but the schools that I applied to that are on UR's level in terms of rankings and median LSAT have not only all accepted me but have gotten back to me on scholarship offers as well.

If they took the (wo)man hours that went into stuffing envelopes and put that towards reviewing applications, they might be more readily considered.

I am still averaging 3 mailings/week btw.... going strong since early January.

aspire2more

Postby aspire2more » Tue Feb 22, 2011 4:24 pm

crysmissmichelle wrote:I'm between Richmond and not going at all :( The Marshall information won't come until April and I haven't heard anything about the base numbers. I think I'm going to call them today. . . .

They said that about the admissions too (that the committee wouldn't meet until March) but lots of people have heard back already. I wouldn't be surprised if they made some initial John Marshall offers sooner than April. Most people are making their first deposits in April so they would potentially lose some of their best candidates.

crysmissmichelle

Postby crysmissmichelle » Tue Feb 22, 2011 7:59 pm

aspire2more wrote:
crysmissmichelle wrote:I'm between Richmond and not going at all :( The Marshall information won't come until April and I haven't heard anything about the base numbers. I think I'm going to call them today. . . .

They said that about the admissions too (that the committee wouldn't meet until March) but lots of people have heard back already. I wouldn't be surprised if they made some initial John Marshall offers sooner than April. Most people are making their first deposits in April so they would potentially lose some of their best candidates.

Here's hoping!

TyrodTaylor

Postby TyrodTaylor » Wed Feb 23, 2011 12:51 pm

accepted 2/21 via call.

jsimp

Postby jsimp » Wed Feb 23, 2011 2:03 pm

Received a large envolpe in the mail yesterday. Got super excited because I thought it was an decision only to be let down. It was only another view book with more information about the last years class. Nice pictures tho.

solarae

Postby solarae » Wed Feb 23, 2011 4:47 pm

TyrodTaylor wrote:accepted 2/21 via call.

congrats! what are your numbers and when did you apply? if you dont mind! thanks

TyrodTaylor

Postby TyrodTaylor » Wed Feb 23, 2011 5:22 pm

3.1 167, complete 1/28.

hmmhaa77

Postby hmmhaa77 » Wed Feb 23, 2011 8:40 pm

Honestly the mailings have been good for me. If it wasn't for them I wouldn't be considering them nearly as much as I am. I have gotten into higher ranked schools and kind of dismissed them. Then I visited and was impressed. The mailings also have made me research and learn more about the school. The more I learn, the more interested I become.

jsimp

Postby jsimp » Thu Feb 24, 2011 12:14 pm

hmmhaa77 wrote:Honestly the mailings have been good for me. If it wasn't for them I wouldn't be considering them nearly as much as I am. I have gotten into higher ranked schools and kind of dismissed them. Then I visited and was impressed. The mailings also have made me research and learn more about the school. The more I learn, the more interested I become.

I guess I'm in a different boat because I did tons of research on UR before I applied. Everything they are sending me now are things I have already read or seen. I was under the impression that people apply to law schools because they are already interested. At this point, the only thing that can make me more interested is an acceptance letter preferably with a scholarship included.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”