In at Richmond - 2014

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
NCtoDC

Re: In at Richmond - 2014

Postby NCtoDC » Mon Jan 17, 2011 10:27 am

Thank you. I visited the law school in November. The students were very friendly, as was the admissions staff. The two major draws to Richmond for me are that 1) I have family nearby, so I would have a family support system and 2) They have the Robert R. Merhige, Jr. Center for Environmental Studies (my field of interest). The campus is gorgeous, although I would love to visit during warmer weather.

My tour guide told me that the school offers an optional 1L transition class ( I believe it meets once a week in the evening). They help you get used to the way law courses are taught, help you learn to outline, and teach you how to handle law exams. You don't have to go regularly either. If you have a question mid-semester, you could go get help. From what I took away from the guide, it is like a 1L counseling office.

Good luck to everyone else who is waiting. Now to see what kind of scholly offers they have...

crysmissmichelle

Postby crysmissmichelle » Thu Jan 20, 2011 9:30 am

I visited earlier this week, sat in on a Contracts class. . . .even that was nice!

kch3684

Postby kch3684 » Thu Jan 20, 2011 11:23 am

Visiting again in March to sit in on a class etc - I visited over the summer when there wasn't anything but Bar Review going on. Although I'm concerned about it's standing in VA in comparison to the other schools in the region I did REALLY love it. And as a Yankee it seemed like it attracted quite a few out-of-staters. I need to ask them about the dean search they have going on though. I met the current Dean over the summer and I liked his outlook and mission to keep the school small so if they change their mission with a new dean I don't know if I'd like that. Also depends on getting the John Marshall! Wish they would let us know sooner then April.

NCtoDC

Postby NCtoDC » Mon Jan 24, 2011 11:45 pm

Has anyone that has been admitted gotten scholarship info? If not, does anyone know when it comes out?

kjadkins

Postby kjadkins » Tue Jan 25, 2011 12:22 am

No idea about scholarship info. :( Sorry

Just checked my mail tonight after being at Bama ASW this weekend, I swear Richmond sends more recruiting mailings than any other school I applied to. Before I left I got two letters and a few postcards, then after not checking my mail for just four days I got a letter, three postcards, and a giant viewbook.

sUkNoIrzTforEall

Postby sUkNoIrzTforEall » Tue Jan 25, 2011 1:11 am

I got in Sunday--almost couldn't believe I was getting the phone call. It seems a little odd to me to share this news with strangers, but I'm THAT excited about it--and looking to make a few friends.

It's my first, and so far--only--acceptance, but I sent all my apps in last week.
seriously, Congrats to everyone, and nice to meet y'all.
Last edited by sUkNoIrzTforEall on Wed May 25, 2011 6:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

sUkNoIrzTforEall

Postby sUkNoIrzTforEall » Tue Jan 25, 2011 1:15 am

oh, and don't mind my weird username--i made it up while i was waiting for dec. lsat results. it's "skorzforallUNITE" but mixed up a bit. was frustrated by the late release--and later, frustrated i didn't do so hot... ha

kch3684

Postby kch3684 » Tue Jan 25, 2011 8:31 am

NCtoDC wrote:Has anyone that has been admitted gotten scholarship info? If not, does anyone know when it comes out?

I know the John Marshall gets awarded in April (1st-15th according to the email) not sure about their other ones but I do know that most don't have stipulations.

crysmissmichelle

Postby crysmissmichelle » Tue Jan 25, 2011 9:13 am

They require that the scholarship (besides John Marshall) goes through the financial aid office. They told me that you must file the FAFSA before February 15 and get in touch with the financial aid office later. They gave me an estimate (when they called about acceptance) of how much they thought I would receive.

As kch3684 said, the John Marshall is April and you have to turn in your application essay for that by whatever deadline they give you in the invitation email.

millardtime

Postby millardtime » Tue Jan 25, 2011 9:41 am

This may be a stupid question, but what was the "official" deadline for the John Marshall essay? All my info said that the essay was due by Jan 4th, but I've seen some people on this thread reference deadline dates for the essay as late as February 2nd. Did some people have different deadlines?

kjadkins

Postby kjadkins » Tue Jan 25, 2011 9:42 am

millardtime wrote:This may be a stupid question, but what was the "official" deadline for the John Marshall essay? All my info said that the essay was due by Jan 4th, but I've seen some people on this thread reference deadline dates for the essay as late as February 2nd. Did some people have different deadlines?

I actually got an email from Jennifer Rosen about a week ago saying that the deadline was Feb 7.

NCtoDC

Postby NCtoDC » Tue Jan 25, 2011 9:47 am

kjadkins wrote:
millardtime wrote:This may be a stupid question, but what was the "official" deadline for the John Marshall essay? All my info said that the essay was due by Jan 4th, but I've seen some people on this thread reference deadline dates for the essay as late as February 2nd. Did some people have different deadlines?

I actually got an email from Jennifer Rosen about a week ago saying that the deadline was Feb 7.

+1

They extended the deadline.

NCtoDC

Postby NCtoDC » Tue Jan 25, 2011 9:48 am

crysmissmichelle wrote:They require that the scholarship (besides John Marshall) goes through the financial aid office. They told me that you must file the FAFSA before February 15 and get in touch with the financial aid office later. They gave me an estimate (when they called about acceptance) of how much they thought I would receive.

As kch3684 said, the John Marshall is April and you have to turn in your application essay for that by whatever deadline they give you in the invitation email.

Thank you for the info. Dean Rahman told me they expected to award me a significant scholarship award, how vague is that? lol

GentlemanJim

Postby GentlemanJim » Tue Jan 25, 2011 9:49 am

I turned mine in on Jan. 4th. Kind of stressed myself out trying to hit the submit date. Sweet.

Mpeterson4

Postby Mpeterson4 » Tue Jan 25, 2011 9:52 am

GentlemanJim wrote:I turned mine in on Jan. 4th. Kind of stressed myself out trying to hit the submit date. Sweet.

I did the same thing, very frustrating that they didn't extend the deadline date until after the deadline had already passed.

NCtoDC

Postby NCtoDC » Tue Jan 25, 2011 9:54 am

Mpeterson4 wrote:
GentlemanJim wrote:I turned mine in on Jan. 4th. Kind of stressed myself out trying to hit the submit date. Sweet.

I did the same thing, very frustrating that they didn't extend the deadline date until after the deadline had already passed.

Well, the first email I received about the essay was well after Jan. 4th. My original deadline was Feb. 4th. I guess it depends on when you were accepted.

crysmissmichelle

Postby crysmissmichelle » Tue Jan 25, 2011 10:00 am

It really sounds like they started out with individual deadlines. My email said that the deadline was January 31.

GentlemanJim

Postby GentlemanJim » Tue Jan 25, 2011 10:21 am

Hmm... Well then, snarkiness rescinded.

ausoccer19

Postby ausoccer19 » Thu Jan 27, 2011 9:14 pm

Just visited today and sat in on a Con Law class, it was very good. I really enjoyed the atmosphere, the small class was nice. I got to meet two professors and both were extremely nice and accommodating, as were the admissions staff and the people I met in career services. The students seemed like a pretty close group, heard a few different groups making weekend plans which is definately a plus.

As for scholarship/financial info, Dean Rahman said she hopes to send stuff out in late Feb/early March.

NCtoDC

Postby NCtoDC » Thu Jan 27, 2011 11:04 pm

ausoccer19 wrote:Just visited today and sat in on a Con Law class, it was very good. I really enjoyed the atmosphere, the small class was nice. I got to meet two professors and both were extremely nice and accommodating, as were the admissions staff and the people I met in career services. The students seemed like a pretty close group, heard a few different groups making weekend plans which is definately a plus.

As for scholarship/financial info, Dean Rahman said she hopes to send stuff out in late Feb/early March.

Thanks for the info...even if it isn't what I wanted to hear, lol. I hate waiting for things! Why are some schools so much faster than others at giving scholly info?

solarae

Postby solarae » Mon Jan 31, 2011 12:02 am

Richmond is definitely starting to tick me off! First they send the faux acceptance email, and ever since then I've received mail from them every few days. I get soo excited, just to see an advertisement for one of their concentration programs or some random thing. This weekend I got an envelope which turned out to be an application form for the 2009 summer abroad program. wtf? is their admin department totally nuts? it sure is a lot of wasted paper if they end up rejecting me.

kjadkins

Postby kjadkins » Mon Jan 31, 2011 12:04 am

solarae wrote:Richmond is definitely starting to tick me off! First they send the faux acceptance email, and ever since then I've received mail from them every few days. I get soo excited, just to see an advertisement for one of their concentration programs or some random thing. This weekend I got an envelope which turned out to be an application form for the 2009 summer abroad program. wtf? is their admin department totally nuts? it sure is a lot of wasted paper if they end up rejecting me.

I have gotten SO many mailings from them, probably nearly 20 at this point, all about the most random things. Last week they sent me like 4 or 5 postcards and an acceptance-sized envelope that had a viewbook in it. Such a waste of paper when they're obviously not going to accept me if they haven't done it yet.

ashrh01

Postby ashrh01 » Mon Jan 31, 2011 12:19 am

In at Richmond via phone call this evening. I just applied 5 days ago as well- amazing turnaround time!

snapdragon

Postby snapdragon » Mon Jan 31, 2011 9:56 am

kjadkins wrote:
solarae wrote:Richmond is definitely starting to tick me off! First they send the faux acceptance email, and ever since then I've received mail from them every few days. I get soo excited, just to see an advertisement for one of their concentration programs or some random thing. This weekend I got an envelope which turned out to be an application form for the 2009 summer abroad program. wtf? is their admin department totally nuts? it sure is a lot of wasted paper if they end up rejecting me.

I have gotten SO many mailings from them, probably nearly 20 at this point, all about the most random things. Last week they sent me like 4 or 5 postcards and an acceptance-sized envelope that had a viewbook in it. Such a waste of paper when they're obviously not going to accept me if they haven't done it yet.

+1. I don't get it. My numbers are high for Richmond. I'd visit them if I could, but I'm having trouble taking the time off work to visit schools that have accepted me and offered me $, much less ones that haven't. I sent an email making sure my file was complete.. not really sure what else to do here. I'm probably just going to see what happens. I like Richmond, I almost went there for UG, but I feel like a ding is forthcoming. Confused.

kjadkins

Postby kjadkins » Mon Jan 31, 2011 10:06 am

snapdragon wrote:
+1. I don't get it. My numbers are high for Richmond. I'd visit them if I could, but I'm having trouble taking the time off work to visit schools that have accepted me and offered me $, much less ones that haven't. I sent an email making sure my file was complete.. not really sure what else to do here. I'm probably just going to see what happens. I like Richmond, I almost went there for UG, but I feel like a ding is forthcoming. Confused.

I sent a LOCI two weeks ago and still no word. I'm basically giving up and waiting for the ding. Not heartbroken about it though. The chances of me going to Richmond were slim to begin with, I just really wanted an option close to home in case something went horribly wrong with my finances in the next few months and I needed to live with my parents for a year and then transfer out.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”