In at Richmond - 2014 Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
4turesquire

New

Re: In at Richmond - 2014

Post by 4turesquire » Thu Mar 17, 2011 10:34 am

Has anyone heard anything regarding their second round of decisions? I thought they were suppose to go out this week.

limelightwave

New

Post by limelightwave » Thu Mar 17, 2011 10:36 am

crysmissmichelle wrote:John Marshall Scholarships were given out last week. . . . I think they do redistribute based on who declines, but the ones given out last week were given until April 1 to make a decision.
They do redistribute- there are finalists (aka alternates) that they notified and will offer JMS to those people if someone declines.

crysmissmichelle

Bronze

Post by crysmissmichelle » Thu Mar 17, 2011 12:48 pm

limelightwave wrote:
crysmissmichelle wrote:John Marshall Scholarships were given out last week. . . . I think they do redistribute based on who declines, but the ones given out last week were given until April 1 to make a decision.
They do redistribute- there are finalists (aka alternates) that they notified and will offer JMS to those people if someone declines.
Is that in the emails or were they called last week too? Has anyone gotten an email today? I haven't heard anything at all and am more than a little worried.

kch3684

Bronze

Post by kch3684 » Thu Mar 17, 2011 12:55 pm

crysmissmichelle wrote:
limelightwave wrote:
Is that in the emails or were they called last week too? Has anyone gotten an email today? I haven't heard anything at all and am more than a little worried.
I haven't got an email either today
Maybe we're the back-ups for the JM and they're waiting to see if anyone declines it before telling us? I can hope right?

crysmissmichelle

Bronze

Post by crysmissmichelle » Thu Mar 17, 2011 12:59 pm

kch3684 wrote:
crysmissmichelle wrote:
limelightwave wrote:
Maybe we're the back-ups for the JM and they're waiting to see if anyone declines it before telling us? I can hope right?
That's my hope against hope, lol, but you have the LSAT to back it up, and I don't :(

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

nkra

New

Post by nkra » Thu Mar 17, 2011 1:08 pm

Congratulations to all of you that have been accepted and are discussing your scholarships! I don't want to distract from your discussion, but I have a few questions as my decision is still pending.

As I understand it from the little I've been able to find about it, Richmond seems to accept all their top applicants and then hands out all their waitlists/rejects pretty much all at one, correct? Law school numbers also seems to suggest this, as no one has been waitlisted/rejected yet. Anyway, I'm fully expecting a WL and have all along. However, Richmond is one of my top choices and I'm really interested in attending.

Does anyone have any idea when these WL notifications generally go out, and the likelihood of eventually getting accepted off of it? Do they WL notify via email or snail mail? Also, is there anything one can do to help their chances of getting off Richmond's WL? I fully intend to go on a campus visit when I am (hopefully, at this point) WL, and then follow up with a LOCI, and then potentially another LoR sometime after, if they accept them (not sure if they do).

Any help or answers to these questions would be really helpful.

Thanks in advance, and congrats to you all again!

crysmissmichelle

Bronze

Post by crysmissmichelle » Thu Mar 17, 2011 2:06 pm

nkra wrote:Congratulations to all of you that have been accepted and are discussing your scholarships! I don't want to distract from your discussion, but I have a few questions as my decision is still pending.

As I understand it from the little I've been able to find about it, Richmond seems to accept all their top applicants and then hands out all their waitlists/rejects pretty much all at one, correct? Law school numbers also seems to suggest this, as no one has been waitlisted/rejected yet. Anyway, I'm fully expecting a WL and have all along. However, Richmond is one of my top choices and I'm really interested in attending.

Does anyone have any idea when these WL notifications generally go out, and the likelihood of eventually getting accepted off of it? Do they WL notify via email or snail mail? Also, is there anything one can do to help their chances of getting off Richmond's WL? I fully intend to go on a campus visit when I am (hopefully, at this point) WL, and then follow up with a LOCI, and then potentially another LoR sometime after, if they accept them (not sure if they do).

Any help or answers to these questions would be really helpful.

Thanks in advance, and congrats to you all again!
Last year they waitlisted by letter (postal.) There was a "priority" list and a "regular" list. You were told in your letter which you were. They do not accept many, if any, people off the waitlist. Your plan sounds best for getting eventually accepted.

Kainmacbeth

New

Post by Kainmacbeth » Thu Mar 17, 2011 2:14 pm

I heard that Richmond gives out other scholarship funds other than the John Marshall. Are these being released through snail mail or can you call to find out your award?

ashrh01

New

Post by ashrh01 » Thu Mar 17, 2011 2:18 pm

Kainmacbeth wrote:I heard that Richmond gives out other scholarship funds other than the John Marshall. Are these being released through snail mail or can you call to find out your award?
I got mine via email.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

deusvult

New

Post by deusvult » Thu Mar 17, 2011 2:22 pm

Kainmacbeth wrote:I heard that Richmond gives out other scholarship funds other than the John Marshall. Are these being released through snail mail or can you call to find out your award?
My scholarship is not a John Marshall, I was notified via email. I see on the website that there are lots of other named scholarships. Not sure if those are awarded separately or if their funds are lumped together and distributed as general merit awards (what I received).

crysmissmichelle

Bronze

Post by crysmissmichelle » Thu Mar 17, 2011 2:26 pm

In general, they said that the scholarships should be sent by today. . . .everybody (except John Marshall) who's reported so far, have gotten them by email. JM's got them by phone call.

limelightwave

New

Post by limelightwave » Thu Mar 17, 2011 2:27 pm

crysmissmichelle wrote:
limelightwave wrote:
I got an email about being a finalist on Monday, but it said I should still receive info about other scholarships, and i haven't heard anything about those yet.

kch3684

Bronze

Post by kch3684 » Thu Mar 17, 2011 2:43 pm

Got the scholly email, 20k and I'm an alternate for the JM! Just did a happy dance at my desk at work

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

crysmissmichelle

Bronze

Post by crysmissmichelle » Thu Mar 17, 2011 2:43 pm

kch3684 wrote:Got the scholly email, 20k and I'm an alternate for the JM! Just did a happy dance at my desk at work
+ 1 on all counts!

crysmissmichelle

Bronze

Post by crysmissmichelle » Thu Mar 17, 2011 2:44 pm

kch3684 wrote:
crysmissmichelle wrote:
limelightwave wrote:
You were right!

millardtime

New

Post by millardtime » Thu Mar 17, 2011 2:51 pm

Just got the email. 20k/year and an alternate for the JMS. If I was given a JMS, I'd attend in a second.

limelightwave

New

Post by limelightwave » Thu Mar 17, 2011 3:09 pm

can someone else who is an alternate for the JMS please PM me the text of the email where they told you? I got a JMS "Finalist" email on Monday, but no general scholly info... I'm just trying to figure out what's up with that haha.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

crysmissmichelle

Bronze

Post by crysmissmichelle » Thu Mar 17, 2011 3:17 pm

limelightwave wrote:can someone else who is an alternate for the JMS please PM me the text of the email where they told you? I got a JMS "Finalist" email on Monday, but no general scholly info... I'm just trying to figure out what's up with that haha.
Guess that means they have two lists of alternates. "Finalists" and "Alternates." Well. . . not feeling so great now, lol.

The email said you're an "Alternate," we'll let you know by April 15, and here's how much you get either way.

I'm sure they'll either send you another email today or you can call. They're probably waiting for April 1, when they have that first JM deadline so that they can send you more concrete information since you're on the priority list. They know at least a few of the first recipients will decline.

limelightwave

New

Post by limelightwave » Thu Mar 17, 2011 3:20 pm

Yeah, mine said there's "a likelihood you will be offered a JMS on or before April 1" and that it didn't affect other merit scholarships. If I haven't heard something by tomorrow I'll give them a call. It sounds like everything is going out in batches though.

EDIT: Just got the alternate email as well with the $20,000/year. Strange.
Last edited by limelightwave on Thu Mar 17, 2011 7:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

GentlemanJim

Bronze

Post by GentlemanJim » Thu Mar 17, 2011 7:00 pm

Well, I haven't received an email today at all, despite Dean Rahman telling me via phone call 4 months ago that I would surely qualify for scholarship money. I'm a bit depressed.

Mpeterson4

New

Post by Mpeterson4 » Thu Mar 17, 2011 7:08 pm

I have not gotten an Email at all either and it is pretty upsetting. Was really hoping to attend Richmond but without any type of scholarship it will not happen, very unfortunate.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

rattnroll

New

Post by rattnroll » Thu Mar 17, 2011 7:33 pm

GentlemanJim wrote:Well, I haven't received an email today at all, despite Dean Rahman telling me via phone call 4 months ago that I would surely qualify for scholarship money. I'm a bit depressed.
+1
I was really hoping to hear today, glad that I'm not alone!

ausoccer19

New

Post by ausoccer19 » Thu Mar 17, 2011 10:07 pm

Yeah, I am yet to get an email yet today as well. And Dean Rahman told me, as she obviously did others who have yet to hear, to expect some scholarship money.... Richmond is still at the top of my list, but the waiting, then notice that we will hear today, only to be followed by more waiting, is really frustrating.

NCtoDC

Silver

Post by NCtoDC » Thu Mar 17, 2011 10:11 pm

I will likely be withdrawing on Monday, so standby for 20k to go to someone...

TyrodTaylor

Bronze

Post by TyrodTaylor » Fri Mar 18, 2011 8:14 am

withdrawing today, 20K to go around

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”