In at South Carolina 2011

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
140orBust

Re: In at South Carolina 2011

Postby 140orBust » Mon Mar 28, 2011 2:47 am

legalprincess wrote:Got my letter Friday: In-state equalizer + 6,000...if only they would have sent out the letter in time for me to go to ASD:(
Looks like USC, LSU, and Ole Miss will all be about the same price. This is going to be a tough decision!
I've got to ask, why does everyone seem to dislike Columbia?

Columbia has a really undeserved/strange reputation on TLS, probably because most posters are afraid to leave their computers for fear of missing the hottest new TLS thread. That being said, Columbia is way better than your other options "city wise".
I and most people would rank Baton Rouge (as a city) behind Columbia and Oxford is just terrible, I mean there is nothing to it. Columbia isn't Athens but it's alot better than BR or Oxford and probably ranks in the middle of SEC towns in the eyes of those people who actually go out/socialize and have been out in other SEC towns. If you want a legit opinion of a city/SEC scene don't ask here... Try TigerDroppings (OT or SEC talk). For Law school talk I guess this is your best option but even for that this forum is lacking.

140orBust

Postby 140orBust » Mon Mar 28, 2011 3:12 am

LSAT Taker wrote:
legalprincess wrote:Got my letter Friday: In-state equalizer + 6,000...if only they would have sent out the letter in time for me to go to ASD:(
Looks like USC, LSU, and Ole Miss will all be about the same price. This is going to be a tough decision!

It certainly seems that Columbia is not the most popular city among TLSers. I can't speak for everyone, but Columbia is rather boring. Dining options are seriously limited, for example, and I can think of only two establishments that resemble a bona fide wine place (with a wine list of 25 or more pages). Other than that, however, positive aspects abound: (1)generally safe (2)COL is quite low (3)only a two-hour drive to either nice beaches or beautiful mountains. IMHO, it's not as bad as Columbia MO.

LSAT taker I hate to call you out, especially on a forum like this but really that has got to be the worst list of reasons to deem Columbia "boring". Unless your 40+ who gives a shit about a wine list at resturants, really. And positive aspects include "access to Charleston".. Creative (see google maps). I've been to that city 4 times and I can give this OP a much better description. Its not like she's trying to pick between syracuse and some other crappy city in the north. The depth of Columbia as a city, especially for a grad student, is outstanding. It begins at football and ends at the 40 or so new bars and restaurants that have opened in just the last 8 years, on top of the desirable city that existed prior. This is the SEC, these schools and cities have merit all on their own, even the worst of them (Starkville that's you). Your input is weak and if someone didn't know better they would probably take your opinion of Columbia at it's face- but it couldn't be more wrong.

LSAT Taker

Postby LSAT Taker » Mon Mar 28, 2011 7:36 am

Gamecock227 and 140orbust, both of you have very good points. In short, I think the TCR is that it all depends on what you're looking for and how you define the material constituents in measuring the quality of a city. The wine list, for example, that I used as a tiny cross-sectional facet to demonstrate the size of the city and the makeup of the general population obviously is not a telltale sign of what a city has to offer for everyone, but I was hoping that it would act as a useful indicator to some TLSers. The nice beaches I was referring to are the ones on or near Hilton Head Island, and I think their proximity to Columbia is a huge plus to some people, especially those seeking to decompress sometimes in a calm and peaceful atmosphere. Again, I'm not speaking for everyone here, but there certainly are upsides and downsides, like anything else, and I think it all depends on who you are. Legalprincess, given your views, you should be just fine in Columbia. 140orbust, sorry if I sounded unfair or biased, but I think it is important that every voice be heard, and I was simply trying to share my 0.2 cents with the likely classmates of mine. No hard feelings, sir.

S.C.Law

Postby S.C.Law » Mon Mar 28, 2011 12:00 pm

sstufken

Postby sstufken » Mon Mar 28, 2011 12:32 pm

S.C.Law wrote:Face Book Group Class of 2014

http://www.facebook.com/home.php?sk=gro ... 2451675729

Thanks for taking the initiative and setting this up! I am deciding between 3 schools now & SC is one of them. One of my friends is definitely going next year so he and I are driving up from Athens this Friday to visit because we both couldn't make it to ASD- any of y'all going to be there?

silver7

Postby silver7 » Mon Mar 28, 2011 1:20 pm

140orBust wrote:

[b]Columbia has a really undeserved/strange reputation on TLS, probably because most posters are afraid to leave their computers for fear of missing the hottest new TLS thread. That being said, Columbia is way better than your other options "city wise".
I and most people would rank Baton Rouge (as a city) behind Columbia and Oxford is just terrible, I mean there is nothing to it. Columbia isn't Athens but it's alot better than BR or Oxford and probably ranks in the middle of SEC towns in the eyes of those people who actually go out/socialize and have been out in other SEC towns. If you want a legit opinion of a city/SEC scene don't ask here... Try TigerDroppings (OT or SEC talk). For Law school talk I guess this is your best option but even for that this forum is lacking.

This is a smart response. I've been to many SEC towns and Columbia is much better than BR, Oxford, Tuscaloosa...

Bless

Postby Bless » Mon Mar 28, 2011 3:46 pm

I just sent an e-mail for withdrawal. That should free up at least $18,600 per year. I hope this all goes to somebody with their heart set on USC! Best of luck.

legalprincess

Postby legalprincess » Mon Mar 28, 2011 8:02 pm

140orBust wrote:
LSAT Taker wrote:

It certainly seems that Columbia is not the most popular city among TLSers. I can't speak for everyone, but Columbia is rather boring. Dining options are seriously limited, for example, and I can think of only two establishments that resemble a bona fide wine place (with a wine list of 25 or more pages). Other than that, however, positive aspects abound: (1)generally safe (2)COL is quite low (3)only a two-hour drive to either nice beaches or beautiful mountains. IMHO, it's not as bad as Columbia MO.

LSAT taker I hate to call you out, especially on a forum like this but really that has got to be the worst list of reasons to deem Columbia "boring". Unless your 40+ who gives a shit about a wine list at resturants, really. And positive aspects include "access to Charleston".. Creative (see google maps). I've been to that city 4 times and I can give this OP a much better description. Its not like she's trying to pick between syracuse and some other crappy city in the north. The depth of Columbia as a city, especially for a grad student, is outstanding. It begins at football and ends at the 40 or so new bars and restaurants that have opened in just the last 8 years, on top of the desirable city that existed prior. This is the SEC, these schools and cities have merit all on their own, even the worst of them (Starkville that's you). Your input is weak and if someone didn't know better they would probably take your opinion of Columbia at it's face- but it couldn't be more wrong.

The saddest part of all of this is that Columbia, MO is a sophisticated metropolis by my standards :shock: I think Columbia, SC's reputation as an exciting place is now secured in my mind! I guess my last question regards traffic--Baton Rouge seemed great...other than the fact that getting anywhere took an hour! I expect traffic to be a little nuts during rush hour or when people are coming in for football games, but day in and day out, is it going to take me an hour to get across town?

140orBust

Postby 140orBust » Mon Mar 28, 2011 8:11 pm

Your right BR traffic is terrible.. The reason for that can be blamed on Katrina which added about 200,000 people to an already crowded population and civil engineering (they failed to create a system of loops or by ways around the city to help with traffic and now it takes about 30 minutes to go 4 miles. I did not find this to be the case at at all in Columbia. Baton Rouge, typical of south Louisiana, is unique in their traffic/population problems.

LSAT Taker

Postby LSAT Taker » Mon Mar 28, 2011 8:11 pm

Legalprincess, I have a feeling that you and I can be real good friends although the smallest city I have ever lived in for more than 2 years had a population of 650,000. You should be fine in Columbia, and worry not about the traffic there.

legalprincess

Postby legalprincess » Mon Mar 28, 2011 9:16 pm

Awesome! Thank you all so much!
And yes LSAT Taker, I agree...unless you're the type to care that I drink my wine out of a box! In that case, we can never be friends! lol
It's official. My biggest remaining question is whether or not I can bear to trade in my red and blue sundresses for maroon. Sadly, that is one question nobody can answer for me!

pokerlaw

Postby pokerlaw » Mon Mar 28, 2011 9:20 pm

legalprincess wrote:Awesome! Thank you all so much!
And yes LSAT Taker, I agree...unless you're the type to care that I drink my wine out of a box! In that case, we can never be friends! lol
It's official. My biggest remaining question is whether or not I can bear to trade in my red and blue sundresses for maroon garnet. Sadly, that is one question nobody can answer for me!

LSAT Taker

Postby LSAT Taker » Tue Mar 29, 2011 6:55 am

It's official. My biggest remaining question is whether or not I can bear to trade in my red and blue sundresses for maroon. Sadly, that is one question nobody can answer for me!

Oh don't worry, I'm not that type at all. I declined offers from T2 schools en masse yesterday, so my list now consists of only 4 schools including UofSC.

gogamecocks

Postby gogamecocks » Tue Mar 29, 2011 8:46 am

Hey now, it's garnet, not marooon.

legalprincess

Postby legalprincess » Tue Mar 29, 2011 11:07 am

Haha, sorry, garnet. If it's any consolation, you are more than welcome to call Mizzou's colors black and yellow (and thats coming from someone in Missouri:).
On second thought, perhaps Mizzou has enough problems without getting its colors wrong...

Mattfl88

Postby Mattfl88 » Tue Mar 29, 2011 1:33 pm

Withdrew today so hopefully some of that money will go to someone here.

IHaveLawyers

Postby IHaveLawyers » Tue Mar 29, 2011 2:10 pm

hey guys, I just got admission letter mailed today. Do they send decline and admits via snail mail or just admits?

silver7

Postby silver7 » Tue Mar 29, 2011 2:12 pm

IHaveLawyers wrote:hey guys, I just got admission letter mailed today. Do they send decline and admits via snail mail or just admits?

Both

gogamecocks

Postby gogamecocks » Tue Mar 29, 2011 2:16 pm

legalprincess wrote:Haha, sorry, garnet. If it's any consolation, you are more than welcome to call Mizzou's colors black and yellow (and thats coming from someone in Missouri:).
On second thought, perhaps Mizzou has enough problems without getting its colors wrong...

Wait... They aren't black and yellow?

LSAT Taker

Postby LSAT Taker » Tue Mar 29, 2011 3:24 pm

gogamecocks wrote:
legalprincess wrote:Haha, sorry, garnet. If it's any consolation, you are more than welcome to call Mizzou's colors black and yellow (and thats coming from someone in Missouri:).

Correct me if I'm wrong, but it's my understanding that a clear distinction between yellow and gold is enshrined in Mizzou's constitution.

S.C.Law

Postby S.C.Law » Tue Mar 29, 2011 4:25 pm

legalprincess

Postby legalprincess » Tue Mar 29, 2011 6:58 pm

LSAT Taker wrote:
gogamecocks wrote:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but it's my understanding that a clear distinction between yellow and gold is enshrined in Mizzou's constitution.

It is. Mizzou is most definately black and gold. However, as a practical minded person, I find that the color naming equivelant of calling garbage men "sanitation engineers"--Truman the Tiger has yellow fur. My mom's old "Mizzou Journalism" sweatshirt is black with yellow lettering. I went out to the bars in a yellow button down and headband the night I got my acceptance phone call. They can call it gold all they want, but it is black and yellow.
And sadly guys, by that logic, the Gamecocks are maroon :wink:

LSAT Taker

Postby LSAT Taker » Thu Mar 31, 2011 9:19 am

Made a decision, finally, to go with UofSC. Still a few more offers to decline, but am sending a seat deposit to SC today... Hope to see some of you guys in the SC Class of 2014 thread.

swilson215

Postby swilson215 » Mon Apr 04, 2011 2:55 pm

Officially withdrew last week, and got probably THE nicest confirmation email. USC = classy. Good luck everyone!

IHaveLawyers

Postby IHaveLawyers » Tue Apr 05, 2011 1:45 am

Wait Listed today! My numbers are a tad below their median, do I still have a shot? Should I send a LOCI? I really would like to end up in South Carolina, it seems like a nice region.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”