In at South Carolina 2011

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
jazzmastersc

Re: In at South Carolina 2011

Postby jazzmastersc » Tue Mar 15, 2011 12:17 am

gogamecocks wrote:
jazzmastersc wrote:I live in Charleston and would like to have the option to practice here in the future. The market is over-saturated, and most of my friends that have jobs here were either high in their class @ USC or went to higher ranked schools like W&M, Wake, or Emory. I was a Gamecock for undergrad and am weighing $$$ at USC versus partial scholarship offers from W&L and Emory. A disproportionate amount of my decision will be based on how much I want to see Jadaveon Clowney play and the ability to play basketball at the Strom.

DOO DOO!!!

Is he the shit or does he play like doo doo?

LSAT Taker

Postby LSAT Taker » Tue Mar 15, 2011 12:19 am

Well I was expecting to see at least a few posts as to the new USNWR rankings, but it seems that no one ITT really cares, which I find highly commendable.

jazzmastersc

Postby jazzmastersc » Tue Mar 15, 2011 12:49 am

LSAT Taker wrote:Well I was expecting to see at least a few posts as to the new USNWR rankings, but it seems that no one ITT really cares, which I find highly commendable.

South Carolina is holding strong at #104. Glad to see my other considerations (W&L, Emory) tie for #30! Is USNWR trying to make my decision more difficult?

USNWR = blatant anti-GULC trolling. Goodbye T14. Hello T15.

gogamecocks

Postby gogamecocks » Tue Mar 15, 2011 9:50 am

jazzmastersc wrote:
gogamecocks wrote:
jazzmastersc wrote:I live in Charleston and would like to have the option to practice here in the future. The market is over-saturated, and most of my friends that have jobs here were either high in their class @ USC or went to higher ranked schools like W&M, Wake, or Emory. I was a Gamecock for undergrad and am weighing $$$ at USC versus partial scholarship offers from W&L and Emory. A disproportionate amount of my decision will be based on how much I want to see Jadaveon Clowney play and the ability to play basketball at the Strom.

DOO DOO!!!

Is he the shit or does he play like doo doo?

That's his nickname. I'm guessing it's a play off of Jadaveon.

If you've seen his highschool film though, you can see he's the shit.

Living in America

Postby Living in America » Tue Mar 15, 2011 10:06 am

Ok, I don't really post anymore, but I'm a 3L at USC Law and I had to chime in here after seeing this thread. If you have any questions, please PM me. Don't be freaked out by a scathing critique of USC Law by a Charleston School of Law student. Seriously.

Janus

Postby Janus » Tue Mar 15, 2011 7:05 pm

I'll weigh-in here, too. This is my first time logging in since last Aug so I read through this thread quickly. I'm a IL at USC. I really don't think the situation is as bleak as many make it out to be. Sure there are problems. Most notably, a new building is needed. The Provost of the University said there would be a decision soon and that was over 2 weeks ago. So, I expect a decision hopefully in the next month. Next, we will have a new Dean next year and a new curriculum that better reflects trends throughout the nation. Now, none of this will have a dramatic effect right away. Nonetheless, it is progress.

One thing to not doubt is that you are getting a great education from a world-class faculty.

Also, the job situation is not as bleak as I thought it was. At USC, though, you can't rely on OCI. Networking, networking, networking. Quite frankly, I don't think you can rely on OCI outside of the Top 20, and even then, and within the top 20, outside the top 50% of the class, you really need to get to networking. The difference at USC is that maybe outside of the top 20% (or less), you really need to be networking. But, if you network, the jobs are there. So, I really would not worry about job prospects.

I'm a IL like I said. I have a paying job this summer. I think overall people are doing well. Or, at least my section is doing well (I really can't speak for people outside my section because I don't know them).

Oh, and law school isn't all studying. Most people in my section go out on the weekends (or during the week for that matter). Some more than others. You don't lose all the fun in life, just some of it.

LSAT Taker

Postby LSAT Taker » Tue Mar 15, 2011 11:17 pm

Janus wrote:I'll weigh-in here, too. This is my first time logging in since last Aug so I read through this thread quickly. I'm a IL at USC. I really don't think the situation is as bleak as many make it out to be. Sure there are problems. Most notably, a new building is needed. The Provost of the University said there would be a decision soon and that was over 2 weeks ago. So, I expect a decision hopefully in the next month. Next, we will have a new Dean next year and a new curriculum that better reflects trends throughout the nation. Now, none of this will have a dramatic effect right away. Nonetheless, it is progress.

One thing to not doubt is that you are getting a great education from a world-class faculty.

Also, the job situation is not as bleak as I thought it was. At USC, though, you can't rely on OCI. Networking, networking, networking. Quite frankly, I don't think you can rely on OCI outside of the Top 20, and even then, and within the top 20, outside the top 50% of the class, you really need to get to networking. The difference at USC is that maybe outside of the top 20% (or less), you really need to be networking. But, if you network, the jobs are there. So, I really would not worry about job prospects.

I'm a IL like I said. I have a paying job this summer. I think overall people are doing well. Or, at least my section is doing well (I really can't speak for people outside my section because I don't know them).

Oh, and law school isn't all studying. Most people in my section go out on the weekends (or during the week for that matter). Some more than others. You don't lose all the fun in life, just some of it.

Have many 1Ls there (in your section, at least) already secured a paying summer job in the legal field? On a side note, I got waitlisted today at W&M, and this substantially increases the likelihood of my attendance at UofSC.

140orBust

Postby 140orBust » Tue Mar 15, 2011 11:54 pm

--ImageRemoved--

Janus wrote:I'll weigh-in here, too. This is my first time logging in since last Aug so I read through this thread quickly. I'm a IL at USC. I really don't think the situation is as bleak as many make it out to be. Sure there are problems. Most notably, a new building is needed. The Provost of the University said there would be a decision soon and that was over 2 weeks ago. So, I expect a decision hopefully in the next month. Next, we will have a new Dean next year and a new curriculum that better reflects trends throughout the nation. Now, none of this will have a dramatic effect right away. Nonetheless, it is progress.

Rikkugrrl

Postby Rikkugrrl » Wed Mar 16, 2011 12:07 am

This is encouraging. You sir/madam win one free cookie.

Questions (other dude who posted before this, feel free to chime in):

Are there any apartment complexes near the school you'd recommend?
How's the city itself? Is there stuff to do? Is it full of sketchy parts or is it safeish?
How undergrady is the school? I'm not a big fan of football or kegstands. Can I still have a good time at USC?

jazzmastersc

Postby jazzmastersc » Wed Mar 16, 2011 12:36 am

Have many 1Ls there (in your section, at least) already secured a paying summer job in the legal field? On a side note, I got waitlisted today at W&M, and this substantially increases the likelihood of my attendance at UofSC.[/quote]

+1 on the question and the W&M waitlist. WTF?

Gamecock227

Postby Gamecock227 » Wed Mar 16, 2011 4:32 pm

Has anyone been able to confirm this march 18th official scholarship date? I have a seat deposit due at lsu in 2 weeks and am a bit in a time crunch. I try calling but live in pacific time so it seems I can never get an answer or message returned.

gogamecocks

Postby gogamecocks » Wed Mar 16, 2011 4:59 pm

This is encouraging. You sir/madam win one free cookie.

How's the city itself? Is there stuff to do? Is it full of sketchy parts or is it safeish?
How undergrady is the school? I'm not a big fan of football or kegstands. Can I still have a good time at USC?[/quote]

1.) Depends on how much money you have. There are some nice apartments near the school, but some can get a little pricey.

2.) It's a small southern city. There is stuff to do though. Columbia has some decent outdoor stuff if you're into that, and it's only 2 hours from the beach. The weird thing about Columbia, IMO, is that there isn't "a sketchy part", or "a bad side of town". There are a few places I wouldn't want to walk around in after dark, but they are scattered around the city, and there's only one kinda sketchy neighborhood really close to the school, but you will really have no need to ever go there if you don't want. I have lived in Columbia since 2005, and I can't say of a time I've ever felt scared or nervous walking around at night, and I've never been mugged/shot/stabbed etc, but that's not something I generally worry about.

3.) The school is huge, but because it is in a city, the school isn't all encompassing (except on gamedays). 5 points (the bar-restaurant area right behind campus) is pretty undergrady, but there are places there where law students hang out. There's also a seperate, older downtown "the vista" that is right near campus too, so no worries. Also, learn to like football. And don't worry, you will be allowed to beer bong if you aren't a keg-stander.

LSAT Taker

Postby LSAT Taker » Wed Mar 16, 2011 8:22 pm

gogamecocks wrote:This is encouraging. You sir/madam win one free cookie.

How undergrady is the school? I'm not a big fan of football or kegstands. Can I still have a good time at USC?

1.) Depends on how much money you have. There are some nice apartments near the school, but some can get a little pricey.

2.) It's a small southern city. There is stuff to do though. Columbia has some decent outdoor stuff if you're into that, and it's only 2 hours from the beach. The weird thing about Columbia, IMO, is that there isn't "a sketchy part", or "a bad side of town". There are a few places I wouldn't want to walk around in after dark, but they are scattered around the city, and there's only one kinda sketchy neighborhood really close to the school, but you will really have no need to ever go there if you don't want. I have lived in Columbia since 2005, and I can't say of a time I've ever felt scared or nervous walking around at night, and I've never been mugged/shot/stabbed etc, but that's not something I generally worry about.

3.) The school is huge, but because it is in a city, the school isn't all encompassing (except on gamedays). 5 points (the bar-restaurant area right behind campus) is pretty undergrady, but there are places there where law students hang out. There's also a seperate, older downtown "the vista" that is right near campus too, so no worries. Also, learn to like football. And don't worry, you will be allowed to beer bong if you aren't a keg-stander.

gogamecocks's response is so credited. I must warn you, however, that Columbia's restaurant scene really sucks. If your definition of a nice meal concerns decent wings, burgers, fries, and beer, you should be fine. If your satisfaction requires anything beyond that, on the other hand, you will struggle seriously. The Vista area seems to claim to be catering to graduate students, young professionals, and even professors, but you will soon realize that it is a joke. If this consoles you at all, you can always drive to Charlotte (90 minutes), where there are daily non-stop flights to NYC which is the closest city that provides REAL dining and cultural experiences.

Editor's Note: Please don't tell me that there's always ATL which IMO is hardly better than CLT.

Janus

Postby Janus » Wed Mar 16, 2011 9:00 pm

I'm a commuter so I don't go out on the weekends with the rest of the people in my section. But, from the stories I hear, the weekends are not short on fun.

Regarding the entertainment factor, as a law student, you will be on a very limited budget unless you happen to have oodles of money lying around (the Federal government sets the dollar amount you can take out in loans, not just for school tuition, but for cost of living as well). You won't be looking to go to high dollar establishments all too often. People like 5 points from what I can tell, but it may be entirely economically driven - a lot of bang for your buck. (This will be the same anywhere b/c of the limited budget - you will always be looking for a deal.)

Next, there seems to be some concern regarding whether the school has an undergraduatesy feel. I would say no. I'm a bit unsure of what the thrust of this question is so I will address it in two ways. 1. Are people coming to class hungover all the time. No. Do people come to class hungover. Yes. This happens because there are ample opportunities for good nights out on the town during the week. Everyone is an adult and can choose to manage their time how they see fit. 2. Are there undergraduates swarming the law school? No. They walk past but that's about it. The law school is on the edge of campus so we are kind of away from the central area of the University which would house the undergraduates/their dining facilities, etc. There are pros and cons to this. The law school needs to become more integrated with the University in the future for a variety of reasons.

Tons of apartment communities within 15/20 min (and of course closer). Some are catered directly to students. If you are wary of undergrads, I would probably avoid these. Lots of houses to rent in the surrounding neighborhoods. The short of it is you can have your pick at what type of housing you would like.

LSAT Taker wrote:

gogamecocks's response is so credited. I must warn you, however, that Columbia's restaurant scene really sucks. If your definition of a nice meal concerns decent wings, burgers, fries, and beer, you should be fine. If your satisfaction requires anything beyond that, on the other hand, you will struggle seriously. The Vista area seems to claim to be catering to graduate students, young professionals, and even professors, but you will soon realize that it is a joke. If this consoles you at all, you can always drive to Charlotte (90 minutes), where there are daily non-stop flights to NYC which is the closest city that provides REAL dining and cultural experiences.

Editor's Note: Please don't tell me that there's always ATL which IMO is hardly better than CLT.

LSAT Taker

Postby LSAT Taker » Wed Mar 16, 2011 9:47 pm

Janus wrote:I'm a commuter so I don't go out on the weekends with the rest of the people in my section. But, from the stories I hear, the weekends are not short on fun.

Regarding the entertainment factor, as a law student, you will be on a very limited budget unless you happen to have oodles of money lying around (the Federal government sets the dollar amount you can take out in loans, not just for school tuition, but for cost of living as well). You won't be looking to go to high dollar establishments all too often. People like 5 points from what I can tell, but it may be entirely economically driven - a lot of bang for your buck. (This will be the same anywhere b/c of the limited budget - you will always be looking for a deal.)

Next, there seems to be some concern regarding whether the school has an undergraduatesy feel. I would say no. I'm a bit unsure of what the thrust of this question is so I will address it in two ways. 1. Are people coming to class hungover all the time. No. Do people come to class hungover. Yes. This happens because there are ample opportunities for good nights out on the town during the week. Everyone is an adult and can choose to manage their time how they see fit. 2. Are there undergraduates swarming the law school? No. They walk past but that's about it. The law school is on the edge of campus so we are kind of away from the central area of the University which would house the undergraduates/their dining facilities, etc. There are pros and cons to this. The law school needs to become more integrated with the University in the future for a variety of reasons.

Tons of apartment communities within 15/20 min (and of course closer). Some are catered directly to students. If you are wary of undergrads, I would probably avoid these. Lots of houses to rent in the surrounding neighborhoods. The short of it is you can have your pick at what type of housing you would like.

LSAT Taker wrote:

Thanks, Janus, for your insight, and I know I'm speaking for everyone here.

140orBust

Postby 140orBust » Thu Mar 17, 2011 3:22 am

Is it really necessary to quote the last 4 posts every time you respond?

sstufken

Postby sstufken » Thu Mar 17, 2011 9:23 am

To be honest, gamecock's reply to these questions make me like the idea of SC Law a lot more. Unlike the op of the questions, I love college football & kegstands (note that I go to UGA currently, though our football team has been terrible recently). I understand it won't be the same in law school, but it's comforting to know all of that exists at SC in case I decide to occasionally participate in it haha.

Rikkugrrl

Postby Rikkugrrl » Thu Mar 17, 2011 11:36 am

Let me clarify what I meant by undergrady: Last night as I was trying to finish my bachelor's essay and organize a spreadsheet for my business, I was constantly interrupted by WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOs from a party going on outside, right under my window. On a Wednesday night. Until 2 am when someone mercifully told them to GTFO. And I have an 8 am class on Thursdays. I'm not a hardass; I like to have fun and I'm looking forward to going out tonight (no classes on Friday). But weeknights are worktime, and I'm sure that'll go double for law school. It's good to hear that it's possible to avoid all that and I definitely see an apartment far from campus in my future. And maybe I can learn to tolerate football (there's no team at my college so I've never been a part of football culture. I don't even think I know the rules). Bonus points if there are boiled peanuts at the games. Mmmm peanuts.

LSAT Taker

Postby LSAT Taker » Thu Mar 17, 2011 11:59 am

How do you think this year's scholarship decisions will be announced? If it's via email, we'll start getting results early next week, right?

Living in America

Postby Living in America » Thu Mar 17, 2011 12:02 pm

Rikkugrrl wrote:Let me clarify what I meant by undergrady: Last night as I was trying to finish my bachelor's essay and organize a spreadsheet for my business, I was constantly interrupted by WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOs from a party going on outside, right under my window. On a Wednesday night. Until 2 am when someone mercifully told them to GTFO. And I have an 8 am class on Thursdays. I'm not a hardass; I like to have fun and I'm looking forward to going out tonight (no classes on Friday). But weeknights are worktime, and I'm sure that'll go double for law school. It's good to hear that it's possible to avoid all that and I definitely see an apartment far from campus in my future. And maybe I can learn to tolerate football (there's no team at my college so I've never been a part of football culture. I don't even think I know the rules). Bonus points if there are boiled peanuts at the games. Mmmm peanuts.

Easy solution: just don't live near Five Points. I lived near Five Points during 1L and it was too loud.

On Saturdays in the fall, everyone will be tailgating for the football games. You don't have to like football to have a good time. There is a huge tailgating scene, and many people spend the whole day tailgating and don't even have a ticket for the game. If you like good food and you like a few drinks then you'll have fun.

Yes, there are boiled peanuts at the games. If you want to be everyone's best friend then swing by Cromer's and grab a few bags of fresh boiled peanuts before you head out to the tailgate. Easiest way to make friends ever.

Gamecock227

Postby Gamecock227 » Thu Mar 17, 2011 2:17 pm

Schools letters are all being sent today and tommorrow so yes early next week we will know!

LSAT Taker

Postby LSAT Taker » Thu Mar 17, 2011 2:33 pm

Gamecock227 wrote:Schools letters are all being sent today and tommorrow so yes early next week we will know!

Thanks, and if you don't mind, how did you find out?

Gamecock227

Postby Gamecock227 » Thu Mar 17, 2011 2:58 pm

Just called the office.

pokerlaw

Postby pokerlaw » Thu Mar 17, 2011 3:05 pm

Gamecock227 wrote:Schools letters are all being sent today and tommorrow so yes early next week we will know!

Nice, thanks for the info.

Bless

Postby Bless » Thu Mar 17, 2011 3:16 pm

I can attest to scholarship info going out this week. I called this morning and that's what I was told. :D

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”